• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8: new update and DLC now available

Revven

They haven't added back in Communities still? Jeez! Tournaments are fine but it always seemed like a companion mode to Communities. Why it's still absent is baffling.

Tournaments are communities... they just rebranded them for some strange reason (I think it's because of the scoring and tally up at the end of the week). You can have an endless tournament which functions like a community.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Based on one morning only, what are GAF's first impressions of the new tracks? Are they in line with DLC Pack 1?
I'm liking the new tracks, but 200cc? Not so much. It's impossible for me to make any sort of corner now but I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually.

Scrawnton

I'm liking the new tracks, but 200cc? Not so much. It's impossible for me to make any sort of corner now but I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually.

200cc really does change the way you need to play the game. I find that I need to approach the game as a traditional racer with braking and smarter turning mechanics. I think 200cc with no items is the way to go.

vixlar

200cc really does change the way you need to play the game. I find that I need to approach the game as a traditional racer with braking and smarter turning mechanics. I think 200cc with no items is the way to go.

Final destination. Fox only.

Been playing 200cc and the new tracks for the last couple of hours and having a lot of fun! 200cc really is fast and demands that you play the game significantly differently than you normally would on 150cc. It's super exhilarating and the speed feels great, but it can be frustrating when you totally screw up corners and fall off the track in areas that you know you can do perfectly with your eyes closed on 150cc. :p

The new tracks are mostly great, though Baby Park is kind of dull now and I'm not particularly feeling GBA Ribbon Road. Surprisingly, though, I'm really enjoying 3DS Neo Bowser City here even though it was among my least favorite tracks in Mario Kart 7. Don't really know why that is, considering the track itself is mostly unchanged. I guess the gorgeous visuals help, but it just feels faster and more fun here for some reason.

By the way, for those of you who don't have some of the uncommon/rare amiibo but would like to see the costumes in action, I've been uploading demonstrations of some of them! Check 'em out if you want:

Mega Man
Sonic
Rosalina
Toad
Bowser (not rare, but hey)

NateDog

This has seriously annoyed me. I made sure I had enough space before I bought the double pack a few weeks ago (including for the update). I went to download it today and my WiiU says I need an extra 800MB free even though I had over 1GB free, and added up the update and DLC pack itself come to about 1.2GB (going by the OP). I then managed to get the system to download the update and the pack, but now it won't install and still says I need another 800MB free.

MilesTeg

Banned
You can play ranked 200cc with randoms. Just go to custom match. It should already be set to 200cc. I was just in a full lobby getting my ass handed to me.

This has seriously annoyed me. I made sure I had enough space before I bought the double pack a few weeks ago (including for the update). I went to download it today and my WiiU says I need an extra 800MB free even though I had over 1GB free, and added up the update and DLC pack itself come to about 1.2GB (going by the OP). I then managed to get the system to download the update and the pack, but now it won't install and still says I need another 800MB free.
That is no fun :( try using a usb stick ? It's not recommended but could at least let you play.

Tuck

200cc is fun. Feel like going back to 150cc is gonna make the game feel slow.

New tracks are all great.

Boney

Banned
Like everything else, you need extra storage to install stuff.
Just like pc's

Neff

Which kart are you using? My first race through and I felt like it's a hell of a lot harder than F-Zero GX ever was. Could just be rusty though i haven't played since the last DLC came out!

But i think you definitely need a kart with better grip, cause using something like Bowser in a Circuit Special makes some of the courses borderline impossible in 200cc imo. Neo Bowser City in particular, in the rain ... those poor grip setups can barely turn at all even (especially) if you break.

I actually wasn't skeptical of 200cc before release but having played it now it's not as fun as i thought it'd be. The new courses sure do look good and all play well though!

I usually use Toad with a body and sail geared for acceleration, then speed in that order. I can see how heavy characters would be really hard to use.

150cc is still better-balanced and more relevant than 200cc. There are definitely some corners which simply can't be taken without braking or hitting a wall, it's impossible. And jumps can really mess you up unless you adjust your speed first. But 200cc is so much fun that it's ok to overlook balance issues. Some of the best arcade racers of all time are far more brake-intensive, and Iwata did warn us we'd need to use brakes in the Direct. It just feels strange to be using them in Mario Kart, that's all.

And some of the course design choices, such as the big jump at the end of Piranha Plant Slide. In 150cc you always go below the building, in 200cc you go above.

One change I really liked was the hop over water to the ramp island at the start of Toad Harbor. If you try to take it in 200cc, you'll miss the island and collide face-first with the adjacent ledge, falling into the water. The only way to get over it (or the only way I could figure out) is to boost with a Mushroom. There's probably going be quite a few subtle, but strategic differences like this.

I would but it's just too risky, I don't want to lose all of my data.

But I don't know why I need so much extra when I already had a good bit left over. Oh well.

If you're only short the room to install , you could plug in the USB drive, install the DLC and patch , then use the system storage manager to move everything back to the internal drive. Stuff would only be on the USB during the install process so it seems like it would be pretty safe, and you could then remove the USB. (You might want to copy your save from the internal to the USB first, I'm not sure what happens if you copy DLC from USB to internal when the save is only on the internal.)

Edit: I believe the install needs room because it's unzipping the downloaded files without deleting them until the install completes. So once you have done the install to USB it shouldn't be a problem to move everything to the internal and stop using the USB.

NateDog

If you're only short the room to install , you could plug in the USB drive, install the DLC and patch , then use the system storage manager to move everything back to the internal drive. Stuff would only be on the USB during the install process so it seems like it would be pretty safe, and you could then remove the USB. (You might want to copy your save from the internal to the USB first, I'm not sure what happens if you copy DLC from USB to internal when the save is only on the internal.)

Edit: I believe the install needs room because it's unzipping the downloaded files without deleting them until the install completes. So once you have done the install to USB it shouldn't be a problem to move everything to the internal and stop using the USB.

I never thought of any of this (nor would I have), thank you so much for the info! Has anyone tried anything like this at all before? I just want to make sure, although maybe I'll just go ahead and give it a try anyway.

I never thought of any of this (nor would I have), thank you so much for the info! Has anyone tried anything like this at all before? I just want to make sure, although maybe I'll just go ahead and give it a try anyway.
I have an external hard drive but I move a lot of saves and small games to the 32GB internal using the system settings since the wii u auto downloads/installs to the external USB when one is plugged in. I'm assuming the DLC works the same way although I haven't tried that.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I have an external hard drive but I move a lot of saves and small games to the 32GB internal using the system settings since the wii u auto downloads/installs to the external USB when one is plugged in. I'm assuming the DLC works the same way although I haven't tried that.

Nope DLC goes wherever the main files is, so if it's in the internal memory it will go there.

Magnus

As someone who has MK8 but has purchased no DLC at all yet - is there an option to save at all by snagging it all at once? Is DLC 1 + 2 separate from all the other updates, like bug fixes, 200 CC, etc?

I just want to make sure I: a) get it all, and b) spend the least amount possible doing it.

lol

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
As someone who has MK8 but has purchased no DLC at all yet - is there an option to save at all by snagging it all at once? Is DLC 1 + 2 separate from all the other updates, like bug fixes, 200 CC, etc?

I just want to make sure I: a) get it all, and b) spend the least amount possible doing it.

lol

DLC is separate from the other updates, yes. If you buy the discounted bundle of the two packs you'll save the most that way.

Dez_

As someone who's never played an F-Zero game, I'm curious to know if the two tracks I played for the dlc are similar to the games? The F-Zero tracks are easily my favorite of the bunch and honestly made me interested in trying out an F-Zero game, if they're easy enough to come by.

jariw

As someone who's never played an F-Zero game, I'm curious to know if the two tracks I played for the dlc are similar to the games? The F-Zero tracks are easily my favorite of the bunch and honestly made me interested in trying out an F-Zero game, if they're easy enough to come by.

I'm wondering if that might be Nintendo's intention?

Nope DLC goes wherever the main files is, so if it's in the internal memory it will go there.
Makes sense, if someone copies the save file to the external then the DLC should be able to install there though.

as someone who's never played an F-Zero game, I'm curious to know if the two tracks I played for the dlc are similar to the games? The F-Zero tracks are easily my favorite of the bunch and honestly made me interested in trying out an F-Zero game, if they're easy enough to come by.

You can get f-zero 64 on the Wii VC if you have a classic controller and wii remote to play it with. It will probably come out on the Wii U VC sometime this year. Fun game, the graphics are not great but I believe it's one of the few 60fps 3d n64 games.

NateDog

I tried it after all but I'm afraid it didn't work, it kept saving the update to the USB and wouldn't save it anywhere else so I had to just lump it. I guess I'll just have to wait a few weeks until I can afford an external HD. I really appreciated the suggestion though.

– added braking on the Wii Remote by pressing the B, 1 and 2 buttons at the same time

Sorry if this has been answered, I've done some looking but turned up no answers so far.

Given the above. This might not be an issue for most people but right now, in our household, we have me playing on the gamepad, another person using a pro controller, and then another using a Wiimote + nunchuk setup (since I can't afford another pro controller just yet).

Now all the info I turn up says that B (the trigger on the wiimote) is brake and drift simultaneously?! And the fix Nintendo gave that I quoted above is no good if you have a wiimote and nunchuk.

Anyone have any ideas or is it just a "no" for now? I figured it might have been the "c" button on the Nunchuk but that doesn't seem to do anything.

I'm wondering if that might be Nintendo's intention?

Oh please let that be true. I have not heard anyone say that they hate the F-Zero tracks, what I do hear is people wishing Nintendo would make a new F-Zero game. So I really hope you're right that they're testing the waters with this.

Seems to be a no, from what ive read. I actually main wiimote and nunchuk, trying to relearn to play on a game pad w/ the pro controller.

Yeah... it's a tricky one, I guess I just gotta fork out for that extra controller. I feel like it must be a really easy fix for them to put brake on the C-button or something... it would be a really weird layout, though. Other than the brake, the overall layout feels similar to the gamepad, in terms of where everything is. I find the gamepad actually really nice to play with, I do alright with it. I just have to now use the brake button which I didn't realise existed!

marmoka

Banned
The visuals of this game are impressive! I played Bowser City circuit yesterday for the first time, and compared to the MK7 version, OMG!!

Exentryk

One change I really liked was the hop over water to the ramp island at the start of Toad Harbor. If you try to take it in 200cc, you'll miss the island and collide face-first with the adjacent ledge, falling into the water. The only way to get over it (or the only way I could figure out) is to boost with a Mushroom. There's probably going be quite a few subtle, but strategic differences like this.

You can make the jump without a mushroom. It requires you trick off the ramp. Having a straight line helps if you have really low top speed, but otherwise it's pretty easy to make it.

Unfortunately, it does not fix the display glitch on GCN Baby Park where your own ghost incorrectly shows lap 6 & 7 to have the same times as lap 1 & 2. Does anyone know how to report this to Nintendo?

TheMoon

Unfortunately, it does not fix the display glitch on GCN Baby Park where your own ghost incorrectly shows lap 6 & 7 to have the same times as lap 1 & 2. Does anyone know how to report this to Nintendo?

Miiverse and/or customer support, obviously.

Top Bottom