• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 - Switch vs Wii U comparison

Jumeira

Banned
Hmm not seeing that much difference outside of load times. Will wait for DF but nothing noteworthy from material posted.

Looks like better texture filtering in the Switch version, to go with the higher res, and locked 60 fps vs 59 fps when playing with AI. It's not easy to see with youtube compression during gameplay, but if you pay attention during the countdown, the increased clarity midway down the track seems to go beyond just 720p vs 1080p. Could be youtube compression doing something weird though, but here's a screen.

anisol9rbm.png

Mokujin

Looks like better texture filtering in the Switch version, to go with the higher res, and locked 60 fps vs 59 fps when playing with AI. It's not easy to see with youtube compression during gameplay, but if you pay attention during the countdown, the increased clarity midway down the track seems to go beyond just 720p vs 1080p. Could be youtube compression doing something weird though, but here's a screen.

anisol9rbm.png

It could also be my eyes but I thought filtering was better on Switch while watching another comparison video.

Seik

Banned

anisol9rbm.png

Seriously, we should stop using Youtube videos as comparisons because the compression is all over the place.

Is there a fully uncompressed video from the like of Gamersyde or Eurogamer we could pick for this instead?

Seriously, we should stop using Youtube videos as comparisons because the compression is all over the place.

Is there a fully uncompressed video from the like of Gamersyde or Eurogamer we could pick for this instead?
If you know of one I'd love to see, because I'm not 100% confident. I still think it looks like the Switch has better texture filterong though.

Doctre81

Isn't Full RGB only useful when using a TV or monitor that only accepts full RGB?

I mean, I am grateful as fuck that the feature is available on Switch finally, but that's because my monitor (Dell U2515H) is Full RGB only so the Wii U looked washed out.

But isn't matching Full RGB identical looking to matching Limited RGB? Or is there an actual difference in color quality?

If you are playing on a monitor you should be using full RGB. If you are playing on a tv use limited. Full RGB is for monitors. That's why some tv's use to call it "pc mode".

anisol9rbm.png

Other question, why is DK hovering?

Firebrand

You obviously need a gamepad for these things, silly!

/s

You never know :p Seemed like one of those forced uses of the gamepad screen, but maybe it was available on the wiimote etc as well?

It's a feature I miss in MK7. Instead I have to settle for just hopping repeatedly to signal my road rage.

Shahadan

You never know :p Seemed like one of those forced uses of the gamepad screen, but maybe it was available on the wiimote etc as well?

Oh it was an actual question. Then yeah, you could honk with other controllers iirc. It's useless though of course :p
Well it makes other characters jump on their kart at least.

Edit: If I remember correctly people online won't hear your horn btw

Oh it was an actual question. Then yeah, you could honk with other controllers iirc. It's useless though of course :p
Well it makes other characters jump on their kart at least.

Edit: If I remember correctly people online won't hear your horn btw

But switch got more power, maybe people can hear you honk online now :D

Branduil

anisol9rbm.png

I was thinking the same thing. Some of that would just be due to the higher resolution, but in that comparison in particular, the Switch version is sharper than can be explained with only 50% more lines on each axis.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Straight up dodgy.

Videos from others seem to capture wiiu footage fine and no Europe isn't on 50hz anymore thankfully lol :) It's been a while since that was the case.

You knock it, but 1080p/50 would be a nice simple solution for some unlocked games that can't quite hit 60fps, and be nicer than 30fps..

anisol9rbm.png

I noticed this as well. Maybe AF x4? I believe Wii U uses trilinear.

Man, YouTube isn't doing us any favours. It's way past time for high-bitrate 1080p, now that it supports "4K".

TheContact

I have the Wii U MARIO kart and it's hard to justify buying he same game basically all over again. Why couldn't they have just made a new MARIO kart.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I have the Wii U MARIO kart and it's hard to justify buying he same game basically all over again. Why couldn't they have just made a new MARIO kart.
There are about 15 changes that makes this Deluxe version better, see if that's enough for you or not.

To answer your question: because the Mario Kart team spent their time on a new IP launching in few weeks.

dock

Having to pay £8 extra for the digital version stings somewhat, but it's probably more practical to have a digital copy of this in the future. I'm also not ready to eject BOTW.

I traded in my Wii U copy and I'm just going to have to take the extra cost on the chin.

Top Bottom