• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 - Switch vs Wii U comparison

Roo

Oh hey fire hopping is apparently kill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkHw2WLVj10

RIP "skilled" 150cc

BHfQC65.gif

Skyzard

Banned

Berordn

I wonder if we'll get a big shitstorm from the competitive MK8 community if it turns out it is gone, heh.

A similar group of angry nerds felt the same way about the removal of snaking in MKWii, so I'm sure a contingent of people not worth caring about will be upset.

I might feel wrongfully vindicated about that and could be letting it shine through years later, hard to say.

I really hope they bring Tropical Freeze and 3D World over as well. I never got to play these unless I was at a friends house and I'd love to play these games coop with my girlfriend.

Yeah, I'd love these on Switch.

I've been saying for awhile, we need a Donkey Kong Country Collection on Switch with Returns and Tropical Freeze in 1080p + the three Rare SNES games as a bonus.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
My only problem with firehopping was that you couldn't do it on bikes. Made them a straight up inferior option. Apart from that I didn't really care.

Firebrand

Glad to hear they "fixed" fire-hopping... not that I know how much of an advantage it was, it just sounded similar to MKDS's snaking and I was worried K8D would have tricks like that out of the gate.

Can't wait to scream out in frustration over this game.

Wind Waker HD was a far more substantial upgrade and was released at a discounted price. His complaint is valid.

How'd I miss this post?

The Wind Waker was released in 2003 (in the west) for a retail price of $49.99.

The Wind Waker HD was released in 2013 for a retail price of $49.99.

Macka

Based on what? I can't think of anything WWHD had that was as original as Battle Mode from MK8D.
They did a LOT for Wind Waker HD. They literally retooled parts of the game based on criticism of the original version. Here's a list of all of the improvements. They sold this for $50.

On the other hand, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is essentially a port of a 3 year old game with the only meaningful addition being the Battle Mode. And no, before people start - it being portable is not new content. It may be an exciting prospect for some, but Nintendo Switch games should not be priced higher because they are portable.

Tevious

Nope, the analogy is still terrible because you fail to acknowledge the platform layer which is a significant barrier and difference. If you have to go down way into detail to justify it, it's further proof that the analogy is terrible.

The analogy, while a bit ridiculous, was fine for the points that I was making. I'll give you that the platform aspect of it is missing, but that whole analogy was in response to another Hawaiian pizza analogy by another poster. I could say that each visit to the pizza restaurant costs a few hundred dollars or has some kind of ridiculous membership system, but that's even more absurd and it wasn't my idea to bring up a pizza analogy in the first place. Yet you're only nitpicking my version of it...

Laekon

I've only played 1 Mario Kart game before and that was a DS version I owned for like a week. I remember finding it boring as you just raced the same tracks over and over with more powerful carts. With the newer version is it really just the local or online multiplayer that makes it good or is there some actual single player game play?

NoKisum

I honestly can't tell the difference. Is there something wrong with me? Does that not make me a "real fan"?

Seik

Banned
They did a LOT for Wind Waker HD. They literally retooled parts of the game based on criticism of the original version. Here's a list of all of the improvements. They sold this for $50.

On the other hand, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is essentially a port of a 3 year old game with the only meaningful addition being the Battle Mode. And no, before people start - it being portable is not new content. It may be an exciting prospect for some, but Nintendo Switch games should not be priced higher because they are portable.

For starters, a relevant part of MK8D, if you put aside the new characters and modes, is being on an active platform that will most probably have a healthy online community, one that also will be consolidated without being fractionned by the DLC like the Wii U version.

I honestly can't tell the difference. Is there something wrong with me? Does that not make me a "real fan"?

I don't think so, I'd say it's more because it's a Youtube video that usually compress everything and degrades the IQ by doing so, making the differences less noticeable.

Macka

For starters, a relevant part of MK8D, if you put aside the new characters and modes, is being on an active platform that will most probably have a healthy online community, one that also will be consolidated without being fractionned by the DLC like the Wii U version.
Dude, over 8 million people bought the Wii U version. It already had a very healthy online community.

The attach rate will likely be lower on Switch for a few years at least.

Seik

Banned
Dude, over 8 million people bought the Wii U version. It already had a very healthy online community.

Had.

At some point Nintendo will probably kill the servers too and not many on these 8 millions must be playing the game daily after 3 years.

I played my fair share as well, I bought the season pass too, but shortly after the last DLC I didn't touch it again, except on CEMU.

I've only played 1 Mario Kart game before and that was a DS version I owned for like a week. I remember finding it boring as you just raced the same tracks over and over with more powerful carts. With the newer version is it really just the local or online multiplayer that makes it good or is there some actual single player game play?
Mario Kart DS was one of the few Mario Kart that actually did have a good single player component with its Mission Mode that included fun stuff like boss fights and challenges to complete.

I didn't get much out of Mario Kart 8 playing it single player on my Wii U and this Switch version seems to have even less incentive to play it single player since more stuff is unlocked at the start.

Multi-player has always been the biggest focus for the MK series. As someone who LOVED the mission mode in MKDS I'm still sad that it hasn't made a comeback. In any of the MK games since. :(

If you want a good single player kart racer you can go back to Diddy Kong Racing on the N64 and more recently I think the last Sega Kart racer (Transformed or something like that) had a pretty robust single player with different challenge levels sprinkled between the more traditional races.

I need a good grip for my Switch, I would love to play it handheld but it kills my left palm. Tabletop mode is nice and I have the play and charge stand and a pro controller too but I'd rather have it closer to my face so I can see better. Basically if they had something identical to the feel of the Switch dog face grip that you use when the joycons are attached to the tablet. The joycon battery pack doesn't look like what I want for this but I keep hoping someone will make something more ergonomic for handheld mode. I also tried a silicon sleeve thing that adds some depth to the joycon but it isn't that comfortable either. My 3dsxl is unplayable to me for Mario Kart 7 without the grip, kills my left thumb. The switch is playable but I'll pay big time for a couple days of residual pain.

Crash Team Racing on PS1 has good single player content as well. It's available to download on PS3.
I hate that CTR never got Vita support for the Vita in the US. (never played it before but I've heard great things)

I remember there was a day where Sony's system went weird for a while and you could download the Crash and Spyro PS1 games to Vita, but I only downloaded Spyro before they fixed it (where I'll never delete it, haha). Still kicking myself for not getting at least getting CTR on my Vita. :(

It has the DLC (which costs $12) bundled in, and the battle mode is a significant amount of new content. Mario Kart is basically two modes: Racing and Battles. Mario Kart 8, until Deluxe, was basically missing half of what a Mario Kart should be by not having a proper battle mode. Now the game has Battle Mode with unique arenas, some returning from old games and some new (just like tracks in the original), with Battle Mode available locally, against AI, and online. Before this, battle mode was just a modifier on existing tracks that don't even work for battle mode, no obline. In addition, Deluxe includes new characters, and rule changes like carrying two items, slight visual and performance improvements, etc. There is plenty of new content and bundled content to justify a $60 price tag.

They did a LOT for Wind Waker HD. They literally retooled parts of the game based on criticism of the original version. [URL=" a list of all of the improvements.[/URL] They sold this for $50.

Those are QOL improvements.. Most are pretty minor outside of swift sail, motion controls fps aiming, making some side quests easier, and triforce quest, and miiverse integration.its mostly the same, but it definitely made the game more bearable.The game came out at $50 in NA, and it came out for the same price here on the Wii U as well. I didn't mind the price personally at all.

MK8 deluxe has the $12 DLC included, a new battle mode, two items are here, and 5 new characters. Karts/weight classes seem to have some alterations now, no fire hopping, a pink stronger boost, 200cc time trials and a few other things that I'm sure haven't been confirmed yet. With two new items, character/weapon balances, and a new boost, this could significantly affect gameplay.

Firebrand

Has anyone or any site gotten a chance to try the new miniwheels yet? Curious if those are worth picking up, if nothing else for better joycon grip. Might put the right joycon's stick too far from the edge though when not using gyro controls.

Had.

At some point Nintendo will probably kill the servers too and not many on these 8 millions must be playing the game daily after 3 years.

I played my fair share as well, I bought the season pass too, but shortly after the last DLC I didn't touch it again, except on CEMU.

Mario Kart is like the last Nintendo game to have issues with online population, even on Wii U, even years later. Heck, at this moment there are still dozens of people playing Mario Kart Wii (!) on a custom server.

You also seem to forget mentioning Switch online will be paid later this year and that will be an hindrance.

In fact, I doubt the competitive community will be as popular on the Switch version as it was on the Wii U version in 2014/2015 due to game fatigue.

Zedark

That Nintendo Life Wii U footage is running at a perfectly locked 50 fps, what is that about? Was there some sort of 50Hz limitation on the Wii U, maybe in direct feed capture or in the European version?

Ninja Dom

Glad to hear they "fixed" fire-hopping... not that I know how much of an advantage it was, it just sounded similar to MKDS's snaking and I was worried K8D would have tricks like that out of the gate.

Can't wait to scream out in frustration over this game.

Definitely. Snaking in Mario Kart DS killed playing that online.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Has anyone or any site gotten a chance to try the new miniwheels yet? Curious if those are worth picking up, if nothing else for better joycon grip. Might put the right joycon's stick too far from the edge though when not using gyro controls.

They have nice chunky buttons for SL and SR from my experience with them, so yeah, they can act as nice general grips as well.

Skyzard

Banned
That Nintendo Life Wii U footage is running at a perfectly locked 50 fps, what is that about? Was there some sort of 50Hz limitation on the Wii U, maybe in direct feed capture or in the European version?

Straight up dodgy.

Videos from others seem to capture wiiu footage fine and no Europe isn't on 50hz anymore thankfully lol :) It's been a while since that was the case.

Firebrand

They have nice chunky buttons for SL and SR from my experience with them, so yeah, they can act as nice general grips as well.
Ah, nice. Gonna try without first to see if it's bearable, the straps improve the SL/SR a little bit, and try the gyro controls.

Skyzard

Banned
Even I'd want a physical box with that cover art and I rarely buy physical. But MK8 is one of those you'll want to load up often, really often so a cartridge might not be as useful. Can't wait for a sale and double-dip with Nintendo either...

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Just arrived!

I'll prepare a comparison video and try to make it as fair as possible.

Mother flipper, I thought I had settled on going digital but the box pulled me right back in.

Top Bottom