• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 - Switch vs Wii U comparison

You know. Nintendo gave people a free game when you bought Mario Kart 8 (set time)

Can't really say they ignored early Wii U owners.

-shadow-

Bit weird how they seemingly still don't use AA. Would a simple solution really have been that bad? It looks a lot better than on the WiiU of course, but still rather disappointing.

TS-08

At the very least, I think many people were speculating that they would add it later, maybe even as DLC.

You both know it's anti-consumer of Nintendo and here you are defending them.

Nintendo isn't responsible for your speculation. And spare me the invocation of genuine anti-consumer practices. This is nothing more than a valid and reasonable decision that you just personally don't like.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Bit weird how they seemingly still don't use AA. Would a simple solution really have been that bad? It looks a lot better than on the WiiU of course, but still rather disappointing.

Hard to notice when in motion but the jaggies are really jarring at the beginning of races or when the action slows down.

Bayonetta 2 was like this too with the jaggies. Gorgeous in motion but some terrible jaggies in stills.

At the very least, I think many people were speculating that they would add it later, maybe even as DLC.

lol you're reaching. Your arm is literally about to fall off.

If you don't want to pay $60, you could get it on Amazon or Best Buy via the discount if that's an option for you.

Snipped bits sorry to avoid quoting so much. But this right here is why I'm Physcial only if I can on Nintendo. The stuff just retains value like nobodies business.

Yup. I went mostly digital on 3DS and I've regretted it ever since. I have about 10-12 first party Nintendo games on there (aka roughly $150) that I can never trade back in. All because I didn't want to change out cartridges all the time.

Not making the same mistake this time!

The Switch itself is the paywall.

Nintendo's console cycle is usually 5 years.

They did cut support for the Wii U after 4 years.

Therefore it is totally legitimate that Nintendo AT LEAST offers 20% to anyone upgrading from Wii U to Switch. This is basic customer loyalty.

I can't tell if you are being serious..

Nintendo didnt cut support at 4 years because you still got Xenoblade X, Mario Maker, Starfox, Smash DLC,... AND ZELDA BOTW ,which by all accounts is going to be game of the year.

Nintendo could have moved Zelda BOTW to the Switch if they wanted a paywall, but they didnt they committed to their users base to deliver the game as promised.

Seik

Banned
I can't tell if you are being serious..

Nintendo didnt cut support at 4 years because you still got Xenoblade X, Mario Maker, Starfox, Smash DLC,... AND ZELDA BOTW ,which by all accounts is going to be game of the year.

Nintendo could have moved Zelda BOTW to the Switch if they wanted a paywall, but they didnt they committed to their users base to deliver the game as promised.

I was being absolutely, totally sarcastic.

HalfJoey

Neo Member
I think $60 is a bit too high for a 3 year old remaster/game of the year edition release. But I'm justifying it because I never owned the WiiU version, so everything is new to me, and the Amazon Prime pre-order 20% off softens the Price a lot.

I'm sure it will be new to a lot of Switch owners too.

_woLf

I traded in my copy of MK8 to amazon a couple months ago for $32. I get MK8 with GCU for $48, so I paid $16 to upgrade. Big woop. Worth it.

Can't wait. It's really funny how entitled some of ya'll are.

-shadow-

Hard to notice when in motion but the jaggies are really jarring at the beginning of races or when the action slows down.

Bayonetta 2 was like this too with the jaggies. Gorgeous in motion but some terrible jaggies in stills.

I know and I've played enough Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2 and Splatoon and I never truly bothered while playing the games. But still it's a but if a weird omission considering how light it can be depending on the solution. But oh well.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

If you don't want to pay $60, you could get it on Amazon or Best Buy via the discount if that's an option for you.

And you can sell your old copy for a further discount.

This isnt just a simple port. Improved performance, portability, new characters and items, new battle mode tracks, gameplay tweaks and additions like dual items and pink drifting.

Its a full package for $60. If your complaint is you already bought it on Wii U, just... Sell that version?

Some of you are making this more difficult than it should be.

I totally forgot about this promo I took part of (as other people mentioned). Adopting early got you a free game + plus the ability to sell your current copy at 20 bux ontop of being able to pre proder for a discount.. People will complain for any reason it seems.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/today-is-your-last-chance-to-register-mario-kart-8/1100-6421423/

Today is your last chance to get a free Wii U game for registering your copy of Mario Kart 8. The special promotion, which was announced in April, ends today, July 31, and you don't want to miss it.

North America [Instructions on how to claim]:

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Pikmin 3
New Super Mario Bros. U
Wii Party U

I always see this being said, and it's such a nonsensical response. Basically what you're saying is that any decision any company ever makes cannot be questioned or criticized simply because it is not mandatory. NOTHING is mandatory. Even if it was a paywall to turn on your Switch, well, guess what, your Switch isn't mandatory and is a luxury item. So silly.

The way people are arguing about being strong armed into buying it; they're acting like they're being forced with a gun to their head. Nobody is being forced to buy a Switch. Nobody is being forced to buy Mario Kart on the Switch. People may as well be arguing that anyone that bought a Wii U is entitled to a discount on the Switch system.

It's not anti-consumer at all unless you think anytime Nintendo charges for something, that's anti-consumer because a consumer has to pay money for it.

And you can sell your old copy for a further discount.

This isnt just a simple port. Improved performance, portability, new characters and items, new battle mode tracks, gameplay tweaks and additions like dual items and pink drifting.

Its a full package for $60. If your complaint is you already bought it on Wii U, just... Sell that version?

Some of you are making this more difficult than it should be.

I sold my copy along with Splatoon and Smash, anticipating all of them coming to the Switch. Used it for eShop money and now I have a nice balance waiting to get them digitally. While I could get the discount, having them on the go instantly is too good to pass up.

The way people are arguing about being strong armed into buying it; they're acting like they're being forced with a gun to their head. Nobody is being forced to buy a Switch. Nobody is being forced to buy Mario Kart on the Switch. People may as well be arguing that anyone that bought a Wii U is entitled to a discount on the Switch system.

Based on a post on the previous page, every Wii-U owner should be entitled to 20% off the purchase price of a Switch. People who purchased a PS4/Xbox One should have paid more than MSRP because their consoles lasted more than five years.

I sold my copy along with Splatoon and Smash, anticipating all of them coming to the Switch. Used it for eShop money and now I have a nice balance waiting to get them digitally. While I could get the discount, having them on the go instantly is too good to pass up.

I anticipate this thread being created for Smash Switch.. Which will end up coming with a crazy amount of DLC from the Wii U version in addition to exclusive characters for the Switch (ice climbers lol, maybe shovel knight).

Tevious

Nintendo isn't responsible for your speculation. And spare me the invocation of genuine anti-consumer practices. This is nothing more than a valid and reasonable decision that you just personally don't like.

Literally every prior Mario Kart game had battle arenas. Their omittance from the Wii U version is not reasonable. They could have just made one or two, recycled some from a prior game, or sectioned off areas within a race track. Anything would have been better than just recycling race tracks. That they've now actually made said arenas and they're still denying Wii U owners them is pretty shitty of Nintendo, c'mon.

I don't want to pay $360+ (not a Switch owner) for the same game just to finally get to play proper battle mode arenas.

The Wart

If you want battle mode dlc - something which sucked in the WiiU version, you have to pay full price for the title as well as buy a switch.

A lot are happy with the wiiu version but would like to buy battle mode dlc and don't care about the resolution bump etc.

Nope, sorry, WiiU is done, Nintendo failed to get sales so it's scrapping support after 4 years. Pay full price for the next one if you want to enjoy any new features.

Sony got torn to shreds over its Vita support dropping and this was a main console. And they at least provide constant sales with crazy prices.

Nintendo aren't acknowledging wiiu owners at all.

There is nothing here that even remotely resembles the concept of strong-arming. If you don't want to buy a Nintendo product because you're not confident they will provide sufficient long-term support then that's fine, but to think that there is some sort of amoral or coercive aspect to this situation is simply absurd.

Besides, Mario Kart 8 on Wii U got much longer and more extensive support than anyone had any reason to expect at launch.

Seik

Banned
Based on a post on the previous page, every Wii-U owner should be entitled to 20% off the purchase price of a Switch. People who purchased a PS4/Xbox One should have paid more than MSRP because their consoles lasted more than five years.

Hey, hey, I said I was being sarcastic. :lol

Can't believe people thought that was real!

Bronetta

Literally every prior Mario Kart game had battle arenas. Their omittance from the Wii U version is not reasonable. They could have just made one or two, recycled some from a prior game, or sectioned off areas within a race track. Anything would have been better than just recycling race tracks. That they've now actually made said arenas and they're still denying Wii U owners them is pretty shitty of Nintendo, c'mon.

I don't want to pay $360+ (not a Switch owner) for the same game just to finally get to play proper battle mode arenas.

You make it sound like Nintendo promised an actual Battle Mode on Wii U and never followed through with it.

Lack of battle mode was criticized heavily at launch. Dont tell me you waited 3 years for Battle Mode and are only now choosing to voice your concern.

TS-08

It may have been unreasonable, but it was known beforehand, so that doesn't change anything I've said on the matter.

And while it might be nice for them to throw Wii U owners a bone, I understand why they aren't putting in the effort to. You don't have to like it, but it's hardly "anti-consumer" or something similar.

Hey, hey, I said I was sarcastic. :lol

Can't believe people thought that was real!

Oh dang! My bad! I'd say I'll edit my post but I think it still works either way. I applaud your sarcasm, that was damn good.

Either way you still own Sony/Microsoft money you bastard!

Again you dont have to buy anything lol... I dont think Nintendo was thinking "Hey lets nerf battle mode to include it on the Switch version once the Wii U fails"

If you are paying 300 you are buying the platform to play other things and if you so happen to want Mario Kart get that.. Nintendo didnt do anything shitty because they never planned for the Wii U to fail..

You are just being sour because you wanted something that wasnt originally planned for that title.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Heaven forbid someone wants a discount on something. Burn them!!! Show them just how wrong they are!

You are just being sour because you wanted something that wasnt originally planned for that title.

And so what if he is? He's not allowed?

TS-08

Heaven forbid someone wants a discount on something. Burn them!!! Show them just how wrong they are!

People aren't just voicing a desire for a discount. They are accusing Nintendo of being anti-consumer and disloyal. Multiple posters have argued they are entitled to a discount just for buying a Wii U. This is what is being criticized.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
People aren't just voicing a desire for a discount. They are accusing Nintendo of being anti-consumer and disloyal. Multiple posters have argued they are entitled to a discount just for buying a Wii U. This is what is being criticized.

But...who cares if this is how they feel? That's what I don't get. If Bob thinks Nintendo is ripping him off, well that's on Bob. I don't understand the strong desire for people to jump to Nintendo's defense about something that doesn't involve or impact them at all.

TS-08

But...who cares if this is how they feel? That's what I don't get. If Bob thinks Nintendo is ripping him off, well that's on Bob. I don't understand the strong desire for people to jump to Nintendo's defense about something that doesn't involve or impact them at all.

How is this different from virtually any other discussion on a gaming message board? Are their opinions shielded from criticism for some reason? Why do you care how people respond to them?

...why do you care to jump down to those people's defense? I mean everyone has their opinions or should the world change this instance to satisfy you?

Seik

Banned

It's not about defending Nintendo lol, it's about having flawed expectations and entitlement logic.

Name me, I don't know, 3 console games which were remastered, a whole console generation after the original, for which the buyers of the original were offered a discount to get the new version of the game on the new console.

So I think the question is more, why are people whining and attacking Nintendo on something that nobody does? (or almost nobody, I don't know because I have no example in mind)

Plum

You bought Mario Kart 8 knowing full well it didn't have a proper battle mode, you're not entitled to such a thing as Nintendo did not, in any way, deceive you.

Since this argument's already a tad ridiculous I'll bring out a food analogy. If you bought a "ham and pineapple" pizza and got a pizza with only ham, not only would you have an objectively better pizza in many people's eyes, you'd also be entitled to another pizza and/or a refund. Instead, you bought a "pineapple" pizza and got it delivered with exactly the ingredients that were listed on the menu. If the pizza place, after some complaints, decides to put ham back on that pizza along with some extra cheese you'd be laughed off the phone if you demanded a discount.

What I'm saying is that both you and myself (I bought MK8 new + DLC) aren't entitled to the content Nintendo's decided to add into MK8D because we got exactly what we put down £40/$60 for (+DLC money). This isn't anti-consumer in the same way the pizza place in the above example wasn't anti-consumer. I'm not saying you should buy a Switch or MK8D if you don't want to, but expecting a discount is entirely your own personal entitlement and there's no reason Nintendo themselves should cater to it. Nintendo isn't "denying" Wii U owners anything nor are they being shitty.

Can't wait to play this again on Switch. A discount would be nice but I don't mind paying the full price. It's like a dream come true playing this in handheld mode a summer long.

Berordn

Does AA take a lot of processing and cut the framerate? Why doesn't Nintendo use it?

AA's not free, while it's not as resource intensive as it was years ago. But on a system like the Switch with a game like MK8, it wouldn't be unlikely for it to cause a performance hit.

I'm not saying you should buy a Switch or MK8D if you don't want to, but expecting a discount is entirely your own personal entitlement and there's no reason Nintendo themselves should cater to it. Nintendo isn't "denying" Wii U owners anything nor are they being shitty.

Well said.

I will also throw in (and you dont have to agree) that you should be GLAD you have the option to play a enhanced definitive version of MK8 that has battle mode which is fully portable.

I would rather have the option to buy then not have the option at all.

AA's not free, while it's not as resource intensive as it was years ago. But on a system like the Switch with a game like MK8, it wouldn't be unlikely for it to cause a performance hit.

I bet they had a choice between AA / 720p or native 1080p with no AA and chose the later.

Skyzard

Banned
Nice try.

It's literally what people have posted in Nintendo's defence. Expecting them to have any customer loyalty or good will = shameful entitlement.

It's mind-boggling how people can think this way unless they had shares in Nintendo or have gotten so used to being shafted it's become a standard to support.

TS-08

It's literally what people have posted in Nintendo's defence.

Expecting them to have any customer loyalty = entitlement.

It's mind-boggling.

Being disappointed that an old feature is no longer supported isn't really the same as going on a rant about Nintendo being in trouble because they have no customer loyalty or are anti-consumer.

trixx

Only thing I'm sad about is that I'm going to have to 3 star every tournament up to mirror again, using the joy cons(pukes)

The game barely looks better. I accepted the no discount, so traded in my wii u copy for $60 at eb games

Bronetta

It's literally what people have posted in Nintendo's defence. Expecting them to have any customer loyalty or good will = entitlement.

It's mind-boggling.

So who else offered discounts for remastered games with new content?

Tevious

Again you dont have to buy anything lol... I dont think Nintendo was thinking "Hey lets nerf battle mode to include it on the Switch version once the Wii U fails"

If you are paying 300 you are buying the platform to play other things and if you so happen to want Mario Kart get that.. Nintendo didnt do anything shitty because they never planned for the Wii U to fail..

You're right; I don't have to buy it, which is why I won't. I have no interest in the Switch as of yet. I already have Zelda, I have MK8, and I'm not interested in the Splatoon games or Mario platformers. I'd like to finally get to play a proper battle mode in my copy of MK8, but Nintendo won't throw Wii U owners a bone anymore.

And before you or anyone tries to argue that Nintendo was "kind" enough to give us Zelda, what you would really be arguing is that Nintendo at least wasn't a complete asshat to not only delay the game and take out features for parity with the Switch version, but to then not release the game for the platform it was made for as promised.

As for what Nintendo was thinking, we'll probably never know for sure, but I think it's a safe bet that battle arenas were originally planned to be in the game. It's even entirely possible that some preliminary work could have been done for them back then. Maybe due to time constraints or budget issues, they just favored a lazy effort to use race tracks to save time and money.

You bought Mario Kart 8 knowing full well it didn't have a proper battle mode, you're not entitled to such a thing as Nintendo did not, in any way, deceive you.

Since this argument's already a tad ridiculous I'll bring out a food analogy. If you bought a "ham and pineapple" pizza and got a pizza with only ham, not only would you have an objectively better pizza in many people's eyes, you'd also be entitled to another pizza and/or a refund. Instead, you bought a "pineapple" pizza and got it delivered with exactly the ingredients that were listed on the menu. If the pizza place, after some complaints, decides to put ham back on that pizza along with some extra cheese you'd be laughed off the phone if you demanded a discount.

What I'm saying is that both you and myself (I bought MK8 new + DLC) aren't entitled to the content Nintendo's decided to add into MK8D because we got exactly what we put down £40/$60 for (+DLC money). This isn't anti-consumer in the same way the pizza place in the above example wasn't anti-consumer. I'm not saying you should buy a Switch or MK8D if you don't want to, but expecting a discount is entirely your own personal entitlement and there's no reason Nintendo themselves should cater to it. Nintendo isn't "denying" Wii U owners anything nor are they being shitty.

To use your Hawaiian pizza analogy (we couldn't do a better pizza?), I see it like this. I ordered the same pizza from the same place for years and every time got that "delicious" pineapple on my pizza. Then one time, they didn't have any pineapples, so they leave a note on the menu sign that says "No pineapples", but still are selling ham pizzas for the same price. I reluctantly order the pizza because I'm hungry. They bring the pizza to my table and even though I complain about no pineapples, they instead offer me some pepperoni and sausage to go on top of my pizza at an additional cost (after already being served a cooked pizza). I take them up on their offer. Then an employee comes into the building with a box of pineapples and takes down the sign. A new customer shows up and the pizza place has a special on a ham, pepperoni, sausage, and pineapple pizza, which the customer then orders. I ask the restaurant if I could have pineapple added to my pizza as well, now that they have some, but they refuse. I ask if I could even pay extra for it like I did with the pepperoni and sausage, but they again refuse. They tell me if I want any pineapple, I have to order an entirely new pizza at full cost. The other customer gets his pizza complete with ham, pepperoni, sausage and pineapple. I tell him it's bullshit that they won't give me pineapple too, and the customer responds, "Well fuck you, I got mine."

Also, I'm not the one asking for a discount because I have no desire to re-buy the same game again on new hardware that doesn't interest me. I just think Nintendo should offer the battle mode to Wii U owners because they screwed us out of it in the first place (even though they never promised to give it to us).

Top Bottom