• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle review thread

smoothj

I'm so on the fence on this.. I want it but not at $60. Maybe watching some streams will guide me to the light.

Scoops

Banned
Not surprised by the ~85 meta. Game has looked terrific ever since it was revealed. Only those who discriminated against the combo of IP being used ever thought otherwise...

I still can't believe we are at this point. In terms of slapping a theme onto a genre I love, I don't think you could have possibly pitched a game I'd be less interested in. But yet here we are with me finding myself legit excited to play a game with fucking "Rabbids" in the title on Day One. How did this happen?
Well, you really can't go wrong by copying XCOM. Also it's not as jarring as it could be, Rabbids fit the whimsical nature of the Mario universe more than a gritty realistic take on Mario would. In fact, I don't think it's that much weirder than putting Mario and Sonic in a game together, especially considering some of the weird directions Sonic has gone in as a franchise. We are just used to Mario and Sonic crossovers because there have been so many. It is a shame Rayman isn't in the game though.

Was expecting an 84 so I was pretty close. Sounds good.
I had hopes it would be much better than it sounded even before the e3 showing seemingly won a lot of people over. There was still a lot of people on YouTube comment sections and Twitter upset at this game's existence so hopefully his wins them over.

Another great addition to Switch's great first year.

HylianTom

Banned
I still can't believe we are at this point. In terms of slapping a theme onto a genre I love, I don't think you could have possibly pitched a game I'd be less interested in. But yet here we are with me finding myself legit excited to play a game with fucking "Rabbids" in the title on Day One. How did this happen?
It fits the weirdness of this timeline, that's for sure..

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
BWAAAHHH

So happy this is good. The crossover I never knew I wanted until it was announced. To think I once despised the rabbids out of pure salt for replacing the Rayman franchise. Now I'm excited enough for a rabbids game to get it day 1. So I say again.

BWAAAHHH

Lucifon

Glad it's getting good reviews, but I just can't get excited for a game with Rabbids. I might be able to justify a purchase if it's ever on sale.

It's great! Rabbids are more like minions than ever. They offer a side light hearted note. Alot less irritating than I used to find them and produce some genuine chuckles.

The whole package is just great from the first few hours I've played so far. OST is great, visually very charming, and once things pick up the battles do get challenging. Trying to do them in the "par" amount of turns is a great little side challenge. It's not as deep as X-com but it produces a lot of smiles to make up for it.

PeterGAF

Banned
cnheBa8.png
This is the best thing on the internet

maxmars

This game looks so polished I have to remind myself it's not Nintendo first party looking at videos. Good to hear that the gameplay is also legit.

Glix

Played it all weekend, just finished World 2. Easily a 90.

Great gameplay, incredibly good visuals, and great use of the properties, game is actually laugh out loud funny.

Super happy with my purchase.

Just preordered from Best Buy. Do I still get the dlc?

Yes. All first print copies of the game have the dlc code insert in the box.

Fireblend

Banned
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO why :(

Edit: To clarify, gf and I were looking forward to playing the campaign together...

I mean, just pass the controller in between turns? That's pretty much what the actual co-op mode is, except with a party of 4, no?

It's great! Rabbids are more like minions than ever. They offer a side light hearted note. Alot less irritating than I used to find them and produce some genuine chuckles.

The whole package is just great from the first few hours I've played so far. OST is great, visually very charming, and once things pick up the battles do get challenging. Trying to do them in the "par" amount of turns is a great little side challenge. It's not as deep as X-com but it produces a lot of smiles to make up for it.

The latter sells me on it a bit more than the former, but I'll probably wait to grab it until around Black Friday. Seems like a solid game to play in between Odyssey and Xenoblade 2. I'll be busy playing Monhan XX in a few days. Thanks for the extra info tho!

Karkador

Banned
This game looks so polished I have to remind myself it's not Nintendo first party looking at videos. Good to hear that the gameplay is also legit.

The game looks and feels great, but it does lack a slight polish to it that you'd find in a Nintendo game. It's mainly the UI and stuff that feels like the most "third party" thing about it.

I mean, just pass the controller in between turns? That's pretty much what the actual co-op mode is, except with a party of 4, no?

I didn't actually get to try the co-op mode yet, but when I messed with that section of the game, it does ask you to sync separate controllers.

I haven't played it, but shocked IGN gave it a 7.7 when even the worst N games typically get 8-9s from them.

Does anyone takes publication seriously that give scores with decimal points? Like game A is 0.6 points better than game B. Seriously!

Only publications that thinks their readers are dumb as wood would even try to use such an score system.

Reminder that copies of the game do not contain the Pixel Pack code in Europe. Apparently you're supposed to receive the code from your retailer via email.

Top Bottom