• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Sonic: 2nd Trailer

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Dr. Eggman long jumping is one of the weirdest things I've seen in a long time.

Looks like a decent cast so far. The core Mario and Sonic characters are in, of course. Too bad about Shadow and Cream being in it, but at least Blaze is in. Eh, if I have to accept Shadow's presence to get Blaze, so be it. Makes me wonder what other Mario characters will be in. Waluigi or Birdo, maybe?

SantaC

Gold Member
Iam Canadian said:
Dr. Eggman long jumping is one of the weirdest things I've seen in a long time.

Looks like a decent cast so far. The core Mario and Sonic characters are in, of course. Too bad about Shadow and Cream being in it, but at least Blaze is in. Eh, if I have to accept Shadow's presence to get Blaze, so be it. Makes me wonder what other Mario characters will be in. Waluigi or Birdo, maybe?

the usual suspects.

Arde5643

crowphoenix said:
Now why the heck is that stupid rabit shooting the starter pistol.
At least she's just shooting the pistol - they could've gone worse by actually making her one of the cast running in the trailer, y'know...

Iam Canadian said:
Too bad about Shadow and Cream being in it, but at least Blaze is in. Eh, if I have to accept Shadow's presence to get Blaze, so be it.
Again, at least they didn't show Shadow with a gold chain with his name around his neck or a grill on his teeth - Sega could've always gone that route with Shadow, y'know...

Arde5643 said:
Again, at least they didn't show Shadow with a gold chain with his name around his neck or a grill on his teeth - Sega could've always gone that route with Shadow, y'know...
Don't even joke about that, dude.

jarrod

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Will be huge.

But will it be good? Stay tuned...
It's ex-Smilebit... so it's got a better chance than the usual Sonic games at least. :lol

miguel_c_hammer said:
Next thing is to get the Panzer Dragoon people working on a proper on-rails Star Fox sequel. I think Nintendo's discipline brings out the best in Sega. This is a partnership that needs to continue.
I'd rather see AM2's After Burner team handle it honestly. We need Star Fox Climax.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
plufim said:
I can't help but think that Yoshi versus Tails in ping pong is the greatest thing ever.

Yes, but Mario and Sonic are running.
You know, a foot race.

And Mario can keep up with Sonic.

It's madness...

Arde5643 said:
At least she's just shooting the pistol - they could've gone worse by actually making her one of the cast running in the trailer, y'know...

The mental image of that made me die, just a little.

D-X

Swimming huh? Wonder if you'll be able to play as Sonic in this event?

Edit: Espio is in the background too looking like a NPC.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
If the game is only half as good as that trailer, we'd have a game twice as good as half the olympic games in the past.

Though its halfpast time we had a Mario and Sonic game, I'm twice as skeptical it'll only be half as good Wii Sports, which is still twice as good as the latest Sonic games, but not that promising considering the last few Sonic games were halfassed to begin with.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
ShockingAlberto said:
We should keep mentioning this in every thread for this game because it never gets old.

Yes, it's the truth.

It's like a duke nukem forever thread without a link to "all things that were done before duke nukem forever"

Or like a Playstation 3 thread without the fanboyism.

It just feels empty without it.

John Harker said:
If the game is only half as good as that trailer, we'd have a game twice as good as half the olympic games in the past.

Though its halfpast time we had a Mario and Sonic game, I'm twice as skeptical it'll only be half as good Wii Sports, which is still twice as good as the latest Sonic games, but not that promising considering the last few Sonic games were halfassed to begin with.
This is an extremely convuluted post.

Beautiful video… but no matter how I try, I just cannot get interested in this game. It’s not the joining of Mario & Sonic I envisioned as a kid and I guess that will forever hold me against it… the real world setting just doesn’t do it for me.

I’m glad for those who will enjoy it.

Rlan

Uh Oh! A swimming event! Sonic can't swim! Oh for the love of Sonic cannon!! :lol :lol :lol

Who cares, it's great to see a game like this which actually seems pretty fleshed out with plenty of different modes to play through. Might be fun!

I have to smile at seeing the orginal Sonic 1 / 2 friends in the background Oh Blue Flicky, we haven't seen you in a while.

You know what would be great? If you could unlock the characters from SEGAs Athlete King games. That'd be awkward :D

could be fun. wasnt some of the criticism towards this game at e3 or some other thing was there games were too easy? you are just shaking the wiimote and stuff. like it was too much geared casuals and the replay value wasnt great due to it. if its a good game i would buy it. as a group game the only thing i have is wii sports. so will prob get this or rayman rabbits 2 or find the first rabbits for cheap.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Haunted One said:
SEGA will make the game, but just before it's finished, Miyamoto comes over and upends the tea table so they'll have to start over.

SEGA is making it, but Miyamoto watches over the development process and ultimately has to approve of the game.

I would laugh if one month from release it is quietly announced that the game has been delayed 6 months, with leaked footage for Miyamoto going over to Sega HQ with an evil look on his face.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Cool.

Let's see also how table tennis event rolls out compared to the stand alone game coming from Rockstar (great on X360 from what I heard).

Seems strange to me that Nintendo is releasing the game in Europe the same day as Mario Galaxy (at least that's what they list at Gamefaqs, and they're usually pretty accurate).

Haunted

ShockingAlberto said:
Still kind of surreal to see Mario stare down Sonic.
That's such a goddamn epic thing in itself. If you would've showed me this game back in the 90's.... mind - blown.

I AM JOHN! said:
Don't you be hating on Dick Valentine, Haunted, or I will destroy you. :mad:
It's just my overwhelming love for Clint showing through.

John Harker said:

Yes!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
It looks nice graphically, even in-game (the trailer is CG but we've seen it in-game), but that doesn't change the fact that it's still a bunch of shitty mini-games. It should appeal to Wii owners though, even those gamers who bought a console version of Warioware can enjoy it but this isn't for me. I'm still wondering why the fuck the first Mario/Sonic game isn't a platformer, guess it made too much sense.

camineet

Banned
acuul said:
is this ingame?

if so... gorgeous!

yay for diving

no that's totally prerendered CG.

not only is that beyond Wii's capability, it's also beyond Xbox 360 and PS3 capability.

won't get in-game graphics like that until NEXT generation.

camineet said:
no that's totally prerendered CG.

not only is that beyond Wii's capability, it's also beyond Xbox 360 and PS3 capability.

won't get in-game graphics like that until NEXT generation.

That means we will have to wait another 9 years and change, right?

-WindYoshi- said:
Beautiful video… but no matter how I try, I just cannot get interested in this game. It’s not the joining of Mario & Sonic I envisioned as a kid and I guess that will forever hold me against it… the real world setting just doesn’t do it for me.

I’m glad for those who will enjoy it.

We don't actually know that the action is confined to the real world. I imagine something like that Mario Tennis on GBA could go down. Real world competition starts things off, but then you unlock the Mushroom Kingdom.

Count Dookkake said:
We don't actually know that the action is confined to the real world. I imagine something like that Mario Tennis on GBA could go down. Real world competition starts things off, but then you unlock the Mushroom Kingdom.

I would imagine because its an Official Beijing Olympic 2008 licensed game it will stay in that city as the only setting for the action

Smiles and Cries said:
I would imagine because its an Official Beijing Olympic 2008 licensed game it will stay in that city as the only setting for the action

I imagine that the Official Beijing Olympics 2008 don't have talking animals competing in them. :lol

japtor

Count Dookkake said:
I imagine that the Official Beijing Olympics 2008 don't have talking animals competing in them. :lol
tell that to them:
5y14p4h.jpg

(they should be in the game too)

jj984jj said:
It looks nice graphically, even in-game (the trailer is CG but we've seen it in-game), but that doesn't change the fact that it's still a bunch of shitty mini-games. It should appeal to Wii owners though, even those gamers who bought a console version of Warioware can enjoy it but this isn't for me. I'm still wondering why the fuck the first Mario/Sonic game isn't a platformer, guess it made too much sense.
So how would you have approached an olympic game? Cinematic storyline and coherent game-design? Olympic JRPG? FP javelin-throwing? This stuff has been done since T&F, Decathlon, Summer Games and whatnot. I'm glad it's here to stay - old school FTW!

Scribble

Do you guys think that Silver, and to a slightly lesser extent Shadow "tarnish" the game?

Because this almost felt like a blast to the past (With the old fashioned Sonic pig), but those characters have to show up. Before, I could sort of dismiss them, but seeing them in an "important" game like this one....=X =X =X =X =X =X

EDIT: I don't mind the Chaotix, though.

I find it amusing how they can't even show Cream holding a regular gun to start the race.
Scribble said:
Do you guys think that Silver, and to a slightly lesser extent Shadow "tarnish" the game?
Shadow got his own fanbase now I guess.

Scribble

I AM JOHN! said:

Despite the whole Shadow curse thing, I'm just surprised that Sega have the nerve to put those characters in, as they represent everything bad about recent Sonic games. Are these people delusional? Or do they just want more money?

But I guess this isn't really catering for the old 90s gamers, it probably wouldn't be based on the Olympics if it was.

japtor said:
tell that to them:
5y14p4h.jpg

(they should be in the game too)

They're not competing in the real Olympics, so argument stands (and do they talk?). Just because this is based on a real world event/location, does not mean that no Mario or Sonic venues will be available.

It would be cool to see these new guys in the game, whatever they are. I'd like it if they had the mascots from previous Olympics as well, even though most of them are incredibly ugly designs.

Count Dookkake said:

Cute, I guess you have not seen the 5 Beijing Pandas.

My point still stands this will not turn into the Mushroom Kingdom Games, its all about the Sega and Nintendo world meeting in Beijing to compete in the Olympics, this is Sega's idea of cashing in on the Wii with its Olympic licence, other Sega Olympic games featuring "Humans" will follow this just before the games kick off in 08 on all platforms

I doubt very much this game's setting will take the action someplace other than Beijing.
There should be no hidden worlds in this game it would defeat the whole point of being licenced thing.

If this game sold like crazy maybe Nintendo and Sega could continue to Team Up for what we could call the Mushroom Kingdom Games.

Scribble said:
Despite the whole Shadow curse thing, I'm just surprised that Sega have the nerve to put those characters in, as they represent everything bad about recent Sonic games. Are these people delusional? Or do they just want more money?

But I guess this isn't really catering for the old 90s gamers, it probably wouldn't be based on the Olympics if it was.
You talk as if SegaSammy can distinguish between the true Sonic fans and the 8-year-old Foxbox-watchers that made all the Sonics on GameCube Player's Choice games. If they could, do you think Sonic 2k6 would've happened?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Phife Dawg said:
So how would you have approached an olympic game? Cinematic storyline and coherent game-design? Olympic JRPG? FP javelin-throwing? This stuff has been done since T&F, Decathlon, Summer Games and whatnot. I'm glad it's here to stay - old school FTW!
Without Mario & Sonic - old school FTW!

D-X

Scribble said:

Shadow (the game) tarnished Shadow (the character) he was a welcome addition in SA2. The guns and vehicles ruin the character and if they're not in there then I don't see a problem. Now all they have to do is bring back his original VA...

Scribble

I AM JOHN! said:
You talk as if SegaSammy can distinguish between the true Sonic fans and the 8-year-old Foxbox-watchers that made all the Sonics on GameCube Player's Choice games. If they could, do you think Sonic 2k6 would've happened?

Maybe they can, but the "8 year old Foxbox watchers" are the only ones keeping the franchise alive. Or maybe it isn't a simple case of "old Sonic fans" and "new Sonic fans", which could be an illusion that vocal internet message board members are creating.

I grew up with Sonic and I'm only 18, but I know plenty of people in my age group who would lap up all that Shadow crap.

D-X said:
Shadow (the game) tarnished Shadow (the character) he was a welcome addition in SA2. The guns and vehicles ruin the character and if they're not in there then I don't see a problem. Now all they have to do is bring back his original VA...

Well, I suppose that he wasn't any worse than Dark Samus or Wolf O Donnell, back in SA2.

Top Bottom