• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Sunshine graphics and art

RiZ III

Yes I realize I am VERY late but wow, this games art style is beautiful. To start off with, I've never been this impressed with water effects since Far Cry. The whole art style and direction makes the game look like a living breathing oil painting. A-mazing. Props to Nintendo. Was the mario sunshine graphics engine used in any other game? Its a terrific engine which would seem wasted on only one game.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
mario sunshine water is the greatest.

Looks like it probably won't be used on another engine, although I'm pretty sure Mario Sunshine is running on a subset of the Mario 64 enigne.

Maybe you'll get a Mario Sunshine port on Game Boy Next.

Myself, I wasn't really crazy about the art style. Would've been cool for one or two levels, but not the entire game. Also the enemey/character designs were really among the blandest for a Mario game (those Delfino people especailly).

An interesting note about the "look" of Super Mario Sunshine though, if you watched that BBC documentary on Nintendo that aired earlier this year, you'll see that Mr. Arakawa's retirement neighbourhood in Hawaii looks shockingly similar to the style used in SMS.

So maybe the design team got their influence by visiting Arakawa in Hawaii.

Kandinsky

m-mariosunshine_gcn_art4-jpg.jpg

Best character design this generation, by far.

Even I was impressed with the water effects in Sunshine, and I'm no graphics whore. I remember somebody saying the game originally ran at 60 FPS, rather than the 30 FPS of the final product. Still, without saying anything else about it, even by today's standards, the game still looks very nice.

Meier

One of the most underrated games this gen -- arguably ever. Sure it wasnt as groundbreaking as Mario 64, but I dont think any game ever will be until we go 4-D somehow.

soundwave05 said:
Also the enemey/character designs were really among the blandest for a Mario game (those Delfino people especailly).
Yes. It's like the simplicity of Kirby, but not pulled off as well and shoved into ugly clothes.

jarrod

Banned
RiZ III said:
Was the mario sunshine graphics engine used in any other game? Its a terrific engine which would seem wasted on only one game.
The base engine was reused for Zelda TWW actually, and is being used again in the new Zelda. Similar to how Mario 64, OoT and MM all shared the same base engine on N64.

Ironclad

ToyMachine228 said:
Yeah, for me Sunshine, and Sly 2 are easily the best platformers of this generation.
IAWTP. I would add R & C: UYA to that list, but I don't even consider that a platformer anymore. :lol

I remember the first time I saw the water running at 60 fps. I was absolutely blown away. Then during the trailer, the person playing made Marioo slide through the sludge, and then jumped into the water, and I saw it dissipate. It was an absolutely awe-inspiring moment. The drop to 30 fps doesn't bother me all that much though because the water effects are still absolutely gorgeous.

DSN2K

mixed bag visuals and I dont see whats so impressive about the art personally.

water was stunning, it really is a shame the rest of game was a let down.

Ironclad

ToyMachine228 said:
Personally, I hate R&C: UYA
To each his own. I loved Going Commando, and UYA elaborated on that perfect formula, but gave me an excellent control scheme. Lock Strafe, I love thee!

Socreges

Banned
Screenboy said:
I don't agree, I think they're horrible designs.

-SB
I think he was being sarcastic. Well, hope.

Besides them, the game did look great. Mare Bay, in particular, was beautiful.

Ranger X

Water effect was incredibly nice and the general design too.
But as for the "one big fat polygon buildings/envirronements" and the "small textures stretched over 26 km long" is a real no thanks for me.

Top Bottom