• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marissa Mayer is leaving Yahoo with a $186 million payout

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
Now that's impressive. The most impressive thing she ever did at Yahoo is securing that amount of cash, to be honest.

Yahoo’s Marissa Mayer to Reap $187 Million After Verizon Deal - The Wall Street Journal
https://apple.news/AkfelO65qQJSZJOhK_MdBxw
Yahoo Inc. Chief Executive Marissa Mayer is set to reap some $187 million from her shareholdings as a result of the internet company’s sale of its core business to Verizon Communications Inc. , according to securities filings.

The hefty payout comes despite Ms. Mayer’s inability to accomplish what she was hired to do five years ago: revitalize the fading internet icon after its struggles with high employee and executive turnover and declines in ad revenue.

Instead, Yahoo sold its business—not including some assets such as its stakes in other internet companies—to Verizon last year for $4.5 billion. That deal is expected to close in June, after months of delays following Yahoo’s disclosure of two massive security breaches.

Yahoo shareholders will vote on the deal during a special meeting on June 8, according to a securities filing published Monday. The measure is expected to pass. As part of their severance package, Ms. Mayer and other top Yahoo executives are eligible for accelerated vesting of all stock options, restricted-stock units, and other equity-based awards outstanding when the deal closes, according to the filing.

For Ms. Mayer, that includes stock options valued at more than $85 million and Yahoo shares valued at nearly $77 million at Tuesday’s closing share price of $48.40, according to the information in the filing.

She also holds restricted stock units worth about $25 million at Tuesday’s closing share price; vesting of those units would be accelerated under her golden parachute plan, Yahoo has said.
Together, those amounts are worth $187 million at Tuesday’s closing share price. Adding salary, bonus and options she has already exercised, that brings her total compensation over her tenure at Yahoo to an estimated $227.6 million

Erevador

Ran a troubled company much further into the ground. Completely clueless. Had no idea what to do with a hot acquisition like Tumblr, which has been completely mismanaged.

An embarrassing and amateurish run of catastrophes.

That payout is an absolute robbery.

FairyD

So there is a CEO job position available at Yahoo?

I can do her job, I'm sure it won't be any worse. I'll just surf gaf and reddit all day, I'm sure doing nothing will bleed less money than doing something.

Total highway robbery.

She had zero idea on how to run a tech company. The first thing she did when she came in was slash work from home policy, saying ideas happen when you're talking in person. Lol. Has she met a programmer in her life?

Link

The Autumn Wind
If anyone wonders why the middle class's wages and benefits have continued to stagnate and get reduced despite the economic recovery, this right here is Exhibit A. It's all just staying at the top, even more so now after the recession.

She was bad but not that bad lol. The Theranos lady was CEO of Sears levels of bad.

Elizabeth Holmes (Theranos CEO) is essentially a hack/liar. Marissa Mayer at least is a very intelligent person with a long history of success, albeit not the experience necessary to save Yahoo, apparently. So, I'm with you on this, Mayer was bad at being a CEO, but Holmes was just bad across the board.

As a side note, Holmes is in talks to give up most of her shares to current investors if they agree to not sue the company. That's how bad the Theranos situation has gotten.

Jesus christ 186 million dollars? For failing? Articles like this never fail to impress me. All this money going towards one person. Income inequality is about to be a huuuuge boiling point in a few years.

entremet

Jesus christ 186 million dollars? For failing? Articles like this never fail to impress me. All this money going towards one person. Income inequality is about to be a huuuuge boiling point in a few years.
This is the norm for CEOs. They're called Golden Parachutes.

Renekton

What's with the extra attention towards Mayer?

It's not like there is a shortage of well-paid CEOs in underperformers or fading giants.

It's not like there is a shortage of well-paid CEOs in underperformers or fading giants.

Well she just quit which is why articles are being written about her. And whenever something like this happens there's always articles about it. Don't see any "extra attention" being given here.

Kayhan

Most overrated and hyped CEO.

Actually considering that she made out like a bandit she is best CEO. A role model for sure.

neshcom

Banned

I think the idea that Yahoo COULD reinvent itself and actively hire people to do so is what made her a very public figure. Plus she's got a superhero name.

Synless

She was a terrible CEO, but to be fair I don't think anyone could have resurrected Yahoo lol.

That is bullshit. In any business there is always steps you can take to remain either level out or grow the business. The problem is always time and money. I will never understand how payouts like this can happen when a person fails at what they were hired to do.

TheMan

Fucking incredible that someone can have such a monstrous payout after failing. Ironically she probably wouldn't have made nearly as much if she had saved yahoo and stayed on as CEO.

I just...goddamn

aeolist

Banned
That is bullshit. In any business there is always steps you can take to remain either level out or grow the business. The problem is always time and money. I will never understand how payouts like this can happen when a person fails at what they were hired to do.

class solidarity

Bandini

I mean, it's not really a 180m parachute. Most of that value is from stock she accrued over her 5 year tenure.

It's still pretty gross, though.

It's 186 million in paid out stock holdings, not like a cash bonus. I'm sure a big chunk of Mayer's contract was in stock, which is totally normal for CEOs.

Edit: Can a mod update the title, please? This isn't a "you're fired" golden parachute payout. This is entirely in stock holdings and a payout based on the sale of the company. Not entirely the same.

Socivol

Completely ridiculous. What were her accomplishments there? It just seems like she ran an already struggling company further into the ground. I can't think of any of the acquisitions that they had turning out for the better after being acquired. She seems like someone that can talk a good game but has no idea how to implement and follow through with ambitious ideas.

That's what you call a hookup, she wasnt actually supposed to do anything at all. Anyone could do that.

She didn't fail anything, it was a hookup while yahoo was waiting to get bought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom