• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Cerny did 15 presentations convincing Sony to use x86 for PS4

fvng

Most of the resistance was probably due to certain egos not wanting to give up the design of the console to a westerner.

I think they got over that hump a long time ago since Cerny has been a Sony contributor for quite some time.

R-User!

ioHRqY6aML0tc.gif

Hilarious.

pizza dog

Banned
But how many pixels were in the slide decks he presented? How many transistors in the machines he used to make the decks?

tokkun

I find that a bit puzzling too. What else is there they could've used that doesn't cost insane amounts of money in this day and age? We all know how Sony ended up with making a custom chip like Cell (even if it wasn't a Sony-only thing). What does IBM offer that isn't POWER (unless they can scale it down) and fits in a console besides the Wii U's CPU? I am honestly curious.

Also what is so surprising about x86? The Xbox basically used a Pentium III.

They could have used ARM. And in retrospect, that may have been a wiser move.

Zok310

Banned
This will only matter if next gen games cost less to develop than current gen, if Sony accomplish that then Cerny should be considered a god.

Madao

Nice, I guess Reggie didn't do enough presentations then.

he's more useless than the box where i keep my old unused shoes.

Nintendo really needs someone like this guy to convince the blockheads at japan to use powerful and cheap tech.

I don't think there are ARM cores that as fast as the AMD ones yet.

And that also doesn't allow for one of the bigger advantages of X86: They could get a gpu on die, fromt he same maker.

They did go arm for the Vita though, and that was smart. Let them make easy use of mobile graphics libraries and economies of scale versus a custom chip, as well as have a clear upgrade path for future generations of Vita.

Lesiroth

What was the alternative though? Seeing how Sony and MS ended up with x86 (and APUs from the same vendor), it seems like they both came to the conclusion PowerPC was a dead-end in one or more factors.

A supercharged Cell that allowed for BC would've been pretty cool though.

Skeff

I'm reasonably confident the resources put into Knack will have been worth it purely on the basis that the system architect gets direct feedback on the console design and the use of GPGPU physics systems for Knacks body will be usable for all Sony teams, I'm pretty sure the Budget for Knack is very low and is mainly for Developer feedback.

OmahaG8

I'm reasonably confident the resources put into Knack will have been worth it purely on the basis that the system architect gets direct feedback on the console design and the use of GPGPU physics systems for Knacks body will be usable for all Sony teams, I'm pretty sure the Budget for Knack is very low and is mainly for Developer feedback.

This.. this makes incredibly good sense to me.

Nachtmaer

Yeah, perhaps. However, isn't the performance gap between ARM and x86 still relatively big? Then you'd also need a GPU and try to fit everything into one chip for convenience's sake.

I guess it's more about AMD being able to offer them everything they need than trying to go with the most efficient design, performance and cost-wise. Even when it comes to that, it seems like they did a pretty decent job.

OldRoutes

Could you explain what you mean by significant resources?

Well... an entire dev team, most likely a few dozen of people. I'm sure these have been managed wisely, and they know what they're doing.

I'm just struggling to find any kind of excitement toward this project when we could have gotten, with no guarantees for sure, something else that might've been more interesting.

It's all very selfish.

Keep in mind I'm not hating on the game, I'm just not pretending it's the next Mario 64.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Yeah I want to like the guy when he's talkin about hardware and systems design, but once he starts championing Knack it sort of undermines the rest for me. What a boring shitty lookin game.
His championing of the game has always been modest. He's never tried to oversell it. The problem, as ever, is mostly in the way the audience here tries to assign some kind of high significance to the game just because it was the first PS4 game unveiled.

If the game is not to your tastes, you don't have to keep paying attention to it any more than you would any other game that doesn't interest you.
I'm just not pretending it's the next Mario 64.
Who is?

Caronte

MS are doing exactly the same thing, not really sure what's so noteworthy about this.

I don't think that's a coincidence. Probably both companies knew what the other was working on.

And Cerny has said multiple times that Knack is a small title.

Keep in mind I'm not hating on the game, I'm just not pretending it's the next Mario 64.

No one is pretending that. Not even Cerny.

To me, this sounds about right. Knack is, much like other early games, something of a showcase title for some particular aspect of the system.

The end game is, I dunno, good, but not amazing, at least not yet. Very difficult for me to judge it so far with as little as we have seen. I can see some things I really like, and some that seem iffy.

KoopaTheCasual

Cerny has gone on record to say that Knack is the type of game that's "a second purchase for the PS4" not a flagship title. He's been very modest about the scope of this game in particular, because he knows what people expect from someone with his pedigree.

Look, at the end of the day Sony went with AMD because what they were offering was ready made, super cheap, and had good performance. Ditto for MS. This has nothing to do with x86 vs PPC.

tokkun

I don't think there are ARM cores that as fast as the AMD ones yet.

And that also doesn't allow for one of the bigger advantages of X86: They could get a gpu on die, fromt he same maker.

They did go arm for the Vita though, and that was smart. Let them make easy use of mobile graphics libraries and economies of scale versus a custom chip, as well as have a clear upgrade path for future generations of Vita.

Yeah, perhaps. However, isn't the performance gap between ARM and x86 still relatively big? Then you'd also need a GPU and try to fit everything into one chip for convenience's sake.

I guess it's more about AMD being able to offer them everything they need than trying to go with the most efficient design, performance and cost-wise. Even when it comes to that, it seems like they did a pretty decent job.

There are companies that make their own ARM CPU and GPU - Nvidia, Qualcomm, and Samsung all do. As far as x86 being inherently better performance than ARM, that is a myth that has persisted due to ARM CPUs being consistently designed at lower power budgets. If you compare Intel's mobile offerings with the latest ARM designs, they are pretty competitive. It's true that Sony would have needed to convince someone to make a higher TDP ARM chip, and maybe Sony just doesn't have the resources for that these days.

Here are the advantages of choosing ARM:
1. Lots of vendors available. If you want an x86 SoC, you are stuck deciding between Intel and AMD (and possibly only Intel by the time the next generation comes around as AMD seems to be shifting towards ARM development).
2. Sony could make their own ARM CPU if they wanted to. That's not true with x86's licensing. This may be an issue in the future with backwards compatibility on new platforms.
3. It would allow easier cross system compatibility between PS4, Vita, and Sony's Xperia phones.
4. ARM-based platforms are rapidly gaining in marketshare due to large sales of tablets and smartphones. It may overtake x86 as the most popular platform for games.

Durante

4. ARM-based platforms are rapidly gaining in marketshare due to large sales of tablets and smartphones. It may overtake x86 as the most popular platform for games.
I agree with your other points, but does the ISA really matter in any way for the more mainstream tablet/smartphone game market?

idlewild_

Funny so much work had to go into convincing people to use the most popular architectures of today.

Well... an entire dev team, most likely a few dozen of people. I'm sure these have been managed wisely, and they know what they're doing.

Not so sure, have you seen SCEJ's output this gen?

Top Bottom