• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Cerny speaking on stage about the PS4

Oppo

Holy cats this was so good. I had no idea it would be so ... Autobiographical. A real eye opener on what's been happening at Sony all through the console phases. No wonder Microsoft hasn't headhunted this guy, he's been a sort of super-consultant for decades.

Cerny's "friend in Kyoto" that he references at the end — I'd wager that's Dylan Cuthbert of Q Games.

PTG

Best introduction ever or what?

ZAmgtgU.png

But be nice to him.

That translated introduction cannot be real. lol

mario_O

Very interesting to watch, you can see he has a lot of passion for the industry. I hope he likes where VR is going with the Oculus, we need that in our playstation's Cerny!

Ploid 3.0

Yoshida is so humble.

LSq.png

I'd be like, "Took you long enough! Now go fetch my progress reports on quarter 3. Fool"

Hate to ask, but Mark Cerny vs John Carmack, who would win? LOL
I could listen to these guys talk all day.

Why not both.gif on the same stage discussing gaming together back and forward in a natural conversation but stuff that the audience can understand.

Kevin-Butler-Mind-Blown.gif

RE_Player

Hate to ask, but Mark Cerny vs John Carmack, who would win? LOL
I could listen to these guys talk all day.

Both are brilliant in their own ways. I too can listen to both of them talk for hours upon hours.

This was a solid presentation by Cerny that not only solidified that they are making all the right moves for the PS4 as a platform it seems like they are making smart moves at the management level as well, Shuhei shaking things up for the better.

wait a minute, that intro was for real? I was listening to that first dude all like WTF?

and then Mark acknowledges the Beckham comment.

Great talk, y'all should look into his older ones for more on his game design philosophies

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I haven't finished the video yet, but I just felt like I needed to say that Yoshida is the fucking man!
Damn straight. Learned lots of new info about him and his involvement; he is godsend. Also I'm really optimistic about the PS4's future now that the 3 Musketeers are back in charge.

jony_m

lol @ intro, not an actual translation, however the Spanish guy does compare him to Beckham and mentions that he is a metrosexual (like Beckham)

DieH@rd

Banned
Does he mention remote play at all?

No, but there is no need. Remote Play has already be described in detail. PS4 OS will stream all non-camera games to Vita, Sony will provide default control schemes, and developers will be obliged to submit their preferred control scheme.

I'm shamed to admit I didn't know much about Shu (are we calling him "Shu"? Is it a thing?) before this :( They've got such an amazing history. I had no idea how involved they both were.

Absolutely amazing to think about Naughty dog and Insomniac, I always thought there was something suspiciously close about them. I miss Insomniac :(

Revolver

I really enjoy listening to Cerny. His history in the gaming industry is so interesting, I think they really hit it out of the park tapping this guy for the PS4. And Shu remains awesome.

No, but there is no need. Remote Play has already be described in detail. PS4 OS will stream all non-camera games to Vita, Sony will provide default control schemes, and developers will be obliged to submit their preferred control scheme.

Only thing I'm worried about now is lack of move support in FPS's :/ I suppose the developer is allowed to support both, but we'll see lol.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Holy shit, the Master System had a four percent marketshare in the US? Never even knew I was in such a minority back in that day.

Theonik

Holy shit, the Master System had a four percent marketshare in the US? Never even knew I was in such a minority back in that day.
And the NES had a 94% if his numbers were true so the Master System was actually the second strongest platform in the US at the time. Mind you the story was different in other regions.

Majmun

There aren't many techguys who are as articulate and well spoken as Cerny is. He's a great presenter and he knows his stuff. I admire him for that.

This is the best, video game related video I've ever watched. Hands down.

The transparency is just nuts, and it reflects how they had to change during the PS2 and PS3 years. It's also great to hear that this vision is largely Shu's as well.

I mean, I'm blown away by this presentation.

Fantastic presentation. Way more interesting than it had any right to be! Hearing Cerny's back story and his involvement in so many different developers and his involvement in the PS brand right from the start is a good story.

Muitnorts

Really enjoyed this talk.
I'm now even more confident in the team over at Sony right now. Cerny, Yoshida et al seem to be on the right track.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
About halfway through and really enjoying it. Listening to it while playing Halo, ironically enough.

LCfiner

Really nice talk and walk down memory lane. Cerny has a very relaxed, comforting presence on stage.

Liked his tidbits about PS3 development, mostly. Especially that little bit about how he solved that “test” when he was called over but never really looked at the big picture of the Cell+GPU combo in the PS3. That happens so easily when asked to work on segments of a big design, already in progress.

And I’d love to know details of that presentation where Cerny was booed. Was it real, honest booing from devs who were seriously pissed at what Cerny was presenting for the PS4 or was it something more lighthearted? curious.

Viruz

Just watched it.
It's like a history and future of sony hardware, and more. Very informative.
Thanks OP.

Top Bottom