• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Pacini Interview: "Retro Studios will take a break from the Metroid Series"

Krowley

This is good news.

I think 3d metroid should stay with Retro, but we probably don't need another 3d metroid for a long time. Maybe not until the next console.

Since they did such a great job of bringing a 2d series into 3d, I wouldn't mind seeing them do that again with another franchise (like Kid Icarus).. I'm not as keen on seeing them with a new IP.

Making metroid into an awesome 3d gaming universe and developing something from scratch are totally different challenges. They may end up totally sucking at it and creating some goofy unappealing universe. I'm excited to see what they would do, but it's really a toss up.

If they develop a new IP, please let it be a multiplayer oriented FPS. That's what the wii needs really bad right now and they have so much experience with FPS that it's the obvious thing to do.

MP3 is an awesome, awesome game.

At this point, I don't really care WHAT Retro does. They could do a Mickey Mouse math game and I'd get it on day one. They have reached the point that Rare was at during the N64 days in that I will watch and be excited for everything they touch. They have a perfect track record, and have made 3 of my most recent favorite games.

kizmah

This is great news and I hope (and believe) that we wont see another Metroid (except for Dread on DS) until Wii2.

I really don't think that Retro needs to make an original IP. Give them Kid Icarus and let them bring it to, new and improved, life and I'll be more than happy. Make it third person action-adventure with the best damn bow-controls ever!

koam

Superblatt said:
Are you suggesting that we won't see another 3D Metroid during the entire lifespan of the Wii? Considering its a major franchise in the US, I find that hard to believe.

That's exactly what i'm saying.

Making metroid into an awesome 3d gaming universe and developing something from scratch are totally different challenges. They may end up totally sucking at it and creating some goofy unappealing universe. I'm excited to see what they would do, but it's really a toss up.

Retro Studios has Andrew Jones and crew doing art for them. They're the best in the business. I think they can develop some killer new franchise and have some really cool characters as a result. The only crappy characters in Corruption are those "hunters" which were not even made by Retro but rather NST for the hunters game on DS. (pretty sure a different art team worked on that game).

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
is this a sign of nintendo letting retro studios "go" ?

koam

otake said:

Jesus christ, what is it with this new batch of juniors? No, it means, and if you watch the interview you'd know, that Retro will work on something else for the Wii. Nintendo OWNS retro 100%.

Bungie is not making another Halo for the 360, MICROSOFT IS LETTING THEM GO!!!

koam said:
Jesus christ, what is it with this new batch of juniors? No, it means, and if you watch the interview you'd know, that Retro will work on something else for the Wii. Nintendo OWNS retro 100%.

Exactly, i think with RARE was that they didnt own them completely so they wanted to reach a deal with RARE but the stamper brothers wanted Nintendo to buy everything if im not mistaken.....

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
otake said:

If anything Nintendo needs to open up more 100% owned American Studios because 3rd party developers are not stepping up to the plate, especially western developers.

Buying Retro was the smartest thing they did last gen, and the purchase of Monolithsoft is hopefully the beginning of more smart decisions.

AshStrife

otake said:
none of us ever thought they would sell off rare or silicon knights...

Rare and Silicon Knights were 2nd party. More akin to a partnership where Nintendo only owned them partly.

Retro is 1st party, a complete part of Nintendo. They are Nintendo's software development house in the U.S.

koam

Nintendo owned 49% of Rare. Nintendo owns 100% of Retro.

Anyway, don't even bother continuing with the "nintendo will sell off retro" consipiracy theories because Retro has been working on a Non-Metroid game for Nintendo for a while now.

otake

I don't know; seems like all nintendo wants to make nowadays is wii fit...

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
koam said:
That's exactly what i'm saying.

Retro Studios has Andrew Jones and crew doing art for them. They're the best in the business. I think they can develop some killer new franchise and have some really cool characters as a result. The only crappy characters in Corruption are those "hunters" which were not even made by Retro but rather NST for the hunters game on DS. (pretty sure a different art team worked on that game).
Incorrect, first of all the hunters in the DS game and the ones in MP3 are not the same ones.
Second of all I'm pretty sure it was the same art team anyway.

Hcoregamer00

otake said:
I don't know; seems like all nintendo wants to make nowadays is wii fit...

Because we all know that Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy, and Smash Bros Brawl is all a facade to make us think that they want to make games for the core gamer.

rollseyes.gif

Krowley

Hcoregamer00 said:
If anything Nintendo needs to open up more 100% owned American Studios because 3rd party developers are not stepping up to the plate, especially western developers.

Very true.

Even with the wii's runaway success, I think this will end up being the weakest aspect of the wii's lineup. Western developers are going to mostly focus on 360+PC this gen and really awesome western style games are going to be a slim commodity for the system.

They need more studios like retro.

Jme

Maybe they can take over the Project H.A.M.M.E.R. development since noone else is working on it. It better suits them than NST anyway!

koam

KimiSan said:
Incorrect, first of all the hunters in the DS game and the ones in MP3 are not the same ones.
Second of all I'm pretty sure it was the same art team anyway.

Aren't some of the hunters the same? I haven't played hunters in ages.

Edit: no, different team (in fact, it was only one person, corruption has multiple).

Art Director/Multiplayer Design: Michael Harrington

They'd be the perfect team to develop a full blown online multiplayer FPS for the Wii. That's definitely something missing from Nintendo's catalog and would end up being a big hit.

most of the stuff made for the prime games is not drawn from the previous metroid games. as a result i have zero worry at what kind of new world they could come up with.

i'd like another FPS because prime controls so well... i'd like it to be deep and exploratory like prime and bioshock where it's kind of paced by the player. i'd like a new world to get lost in...

however one thing i will say, a straight FPS wouldn't really be good enough. the morphball aspect of prime 3 is definately one of the feathers in its cap.

i don't just want a metroid clone, but i'd like to see an FPS from them that still had numerous and unusual ways of moving through the environments.

otake

BatiGOOOOOOL said:
They'd be the perfect team to develop a full blown online multiplayer FPS for the Wii. That's definitely something missing from Nintendo's catalog and would end up being a big hit.

agreed. then again; It would be nice to get another adventure game. I think that's what retro does best. the original prime was more an adventure game than a fps. a great one at that.

Hcoregamer00

Krowley said:
Very true.

Even with the wii's runaway success, I think this will end up being the weakest aspect of the wii's lineup. Western developers are going to mostly focus on 360+PC this gen and really awesome western style games are going to be a slim commodity for the system.

They need more studios like retro.

Exactly, if they really want to stick it to their rivals, they need to buy studios that they have 100% control of and have them pump out games that appeal to western tastes. It would be nice if they could have a studio that does western RPG's, a studio completely dedicated to making awesome FPS games, a studio doing Strategy games, and a bunch of others so that they could pick up the slack from the western developers while keeping the Nintendo quality and charm by going through rigorous testing and quality control.

koam

BatiGOOOOOOL said:

Or a GTA-Clone. But an FPS would be better imho.

koam said:

I agree Retro has amazing artists, but I don't think Hunters deserves all of the hate it gets. It wasn't Metroid in a Metroid sense....but it is the best FPS on DS and has stunning presentation and controls. The characters themselves weren't bad either, they all had pretty badass opening videos and secondary features.

koam

underfooter said:
I agree Retro has amazing artists, but I don't think Hunters deserves all of the hate it gets. It wasn't Metroid in a Metroid sense....but it is the best FPS on DS and has stunning presentation and controls. The characters themselves weren't bad either, they all had pretty badass opening videos and secondary features.

Not hating on Hunters, just saying that real prime series has WAY better art.

Here's the lead artist's website:
http://www.conceptart.org/artist/andrew-jones/

Hcoregamer00

I would like to point out that Retro was a mess before Nintendo took complete control of it and made it the first wholly owned American division of Nintendo. Once they did Retro basically produced gold all around.

What Nintendo could do is.....

A) Expand the development team so that they could make 2 or 3 projects at the same time.

or

B) Buy another ailing western developer and make it into another Retro studios.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
koam said:
Aren't some of the hunters the same? I haven't played hunters in ages.
These are the hunters from MPH:
metroidhunters_guide_1144888371.jpg

No, they're not the same, even though Matt from IGN said they were in the video review, Matt is an idiot.

koam

KimiSan said:
These are the hunters from MPH:
metroidhunters_guide_1144888371.jpg

No, they're not the same, even though Matt from IGN said they were in the video review, Matt is an idiot.

Yeah, you're right on both counts.

Well Nintendo just bought Monolith soft. I don't think they need to 'buy' more developers like everyone suggests. Wii is on track to doubling or tripling the hardware base of 360 and PS3. The western games will come if developers want to survive.

Dascu

Hcoregamer00 said:
I would like to point out that Retro was a mess before Nintendo took complete control of it and made it the first wholly owned American division of Nintendo. Once they did Retro basically produced gold all around.

What Nintendo could do is.....

A) Expand the development team so that they could make 2 or 3 projects at the same time.

or

B) Buy another ailing western developer and make it into another Retro studios.

From seeing that new footage of Mushroom Men, I suggest that Nintendo should buy Red Fly Studios. Another Austin developper like Retro.

koam

Dascu said:
From seeing that new footage of Mushroom Men, I suggest that Nintendo should buy Red Fly Studios. Another Austin developper like Retro.

wow, just searched for the game, looks awesome.

Odrion

Banned
Aaaaah screw something new, they should do Starfox. That franchise REALLY needs a good game to do it justice.

And at least no one would care if they start fucking with the storyline. In a world with Slippy Toad, a weird ass covalent looking dude who makes ice puns would fit right in.

kizmah

Dascu said:

That sounds like a really good idea.

Iwata "Okay Retro Studio DUDES (YEE-HAR!!), i want you to use this engine you have on MP3, and the super awesome control scheme. I then want you to play Goldeneye for 1000hrs. Once you have done that i want you to throw them both together and come up with a new IP called.....i don't know ..... "Super Cool Game for the Hardcore Gamer" (That'll shut the bastards up)

Retro Studio ...... (F'nar F'nar.... Giggles all round)

Iwata I want you to make it online, and have it ready by next holiday............Okay....?

Retro Studio . . . Yes Boss

Iwata okay, get to it (Gets out mobile phone) "Ha Mr Reggie-San...... Sell these bastards"

A goldeneye esque game would work marvellously on Wii though!

ksamedi

It would be interestingf if Nintendo gave them the Geist ip. That game would work on the Wii. The other team could do something completely new, like Kid Icarus.

Top Bottom