• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Zuckerberg 'tours' flooded Puerto Rico in bizarre virtual reality promo

Slayven

the thing is, I believe Zuckbot's intentions are mostly benelovent (as long as it doesn't have anything to do with taxes or FB). He's super awkward and tone deaf, but for the most part I'd say he generally means well. This VR presentation wasn't meant to mock the victims in PR, it's a genuinely cool technology, they just mishandled it terribly. Probably an unpopular opinion, but I think he'd be a pretty decent president, at least on social issues. I'd take one of the liberal tech billionaires and "visionaires" with a god-complex over another 4 years of Trump any day

He isn't liberal, and I think he is would be better on social issues as far as he won't actively try to sabotage but as for making progress on them I doubt it ,Especially after reading some of the internal memos and the handling of the platform

Good lord you guys are harsh. I think this is a great idea. I don't see how this is any different than live 2d footage. I could have done without the avatars but if people can get a better grasp of the destruction how is that a bad thing? Some you probably would have been angry at news paper articles having photos 120 years ago. *smh*

“Needing to have reality confirmed and experience enhanced by photographs is an aesthetic consumerism to which everyone is now addicted. Industrial societies turn their citizens into image-junkies; it is the most irresistible form of mental pollution.”

“To suffer is one thing; another thing is living with the photographed images of suffering, which does not necessarily strengthen conscience and the ability to be compassionate. It can also corrupt them. Once one has seen such images, one has started down the road of seeing more - and more. Images transfix. Images anesthetize.”

― Susan Sontag, On Photography

People should read Susan Sontag and take a step back from their obsession to have everything represented to them through images.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
"One of the most powerful features of VR is empathy."

This is one of the crazier things I've read this week.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
"One of the most powerful features of VR is empathy."

This is one of the crazier things I've read this week.

"Empathy is a feature, not a bug... is something that people who have some tell me."

Derwind

Just like Facebook, Zuckerberg's empathy is also hollow & fake.

Who the fuck uses a devastating tragedy to help promote their shitty pet project?

EdmondD

W518RCR.gif

No butter? Jelly or jam? Peanut butter or nutella? Marmite? A god damn piece of cheese? Fucking something!? Alien son of a bitch.

There was something like this on Gear VR except it was just a guy on a boat surveying the devastation. It was a somber experience. People weren't high fiving like tone deaf morons with poorly done awkward avatars as people suffered in the background.. It's surreal seeing shit like this.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
He doesn't have a soul anymore, he gave it up way back. That's why he's doing this.

Good intentions were there, production and direction were way off. There was a way to handle this interaction with compassion and urgency and showing the world what an amazing tool VR is. They could talk about using VR imagery for rescue and planning strategy, for training volunteers, maybe even simply for raising awareness for fundraising but nope dumbass flubs a high five and laugh instead. Dear lord.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Good intentions were there, production and direction were way off. There was a way to handle this interaction with compassion and urgency and showing the world what an amazing tool VR is. They could talk about using VR imagery for rescue and planning strategy, for training volunteers, maybe even simply for raising awareness for fundraising but nope dumbass flubs a high five and laugh instead. Dear lord.
They could not use PR as a VR playground as well. I guess they wanted to appear relevant?

Here's my attempt to salvage it. VR tour to be used by remote urban planners to help assess the damage and restructuring of PR's infrastructure. And not, you know, Zuck giving an employee a high five set to the backdrop of a massive humanitarian crisis.

Metalmarc

Good lord you guys are harsh. I think this is a great idea. I don't see how this is any different than live 2d footage. I could have done without the avatars but if people can get a better grasp of the destruction how is that a bad thing? Some you probably would have been angry at news paper articles having photos 120 years ago. *smh*

What's the problem with this? This is no different from looking at videos and pictures of the damage, and it's actually better.

It seems everything Mark does gets hated on here

Because he had his Avatar high Five and float over itand it feels like he's almost rubbing it in, almost like "We aren't even here, ner ner ner ner"

CHC

“Needing to have reality confirmed and experience enhanced by photographs is an aesthetic consumerism to which everyone is now addicted. Industrial societies turn their citizens into image-junkies; it is the most irresistible form of mental pollution.”

“To suffer is one thing; another thing is living with the photographed images of suffering, which does not necessarily strengthen conscience and the ability to be compassionate. It can also corrupt them. Once one has seen such images, one has started down the road of seeing more - and more. Images transfix. Images anesthetize.”

People should read Susan Sontag and take a step back from their obsession to have everything represented to them through images.

Damn that is brilliant writing. I should read her work.

Sidon

I just do not get this level of stupidity. You obviously have to prepare for this - is there no one who thinks 'hmm, maybe this is a bad idea'?

Fuck man.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
People don't hate Zuck for no reason. They clown on him only when Zuck fails to act like a basic human being capable of empathy.

Unfortunately for Zuck, this is something he does all the time.

Rich out of touch nerd. They went full speed ahead with technology without taking a moment to question some of its applications and how they would affect the world. We are watching the Nobels of our times invent information weapons that they will regret after its too late.

I mean you can be a millionaire and all but hey, how fucking clueless you have to be to do something like this? It's really a thing of maximum tasteless-ness and stupidity.

He is a very awkward man. This was a terrible idea.

Yeah, I agree with those statements...More exposure, more information, doesn't always lead to more compassion, more desire to act. It isn't a reciprocal/ mutually affective interaction.

Top Bottom