• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marseille mCable HDMI Cable with inline anti-aliasing

Wait...do we really have people here saying to not trust a PCPer review, even going as far as to imply waiting for a LinusTech video for a more valid opinion is a thing? Does nobody here know who PCPer is? I would trust a review from PCPer WAAAAAAY more than anything Linus does. The lack of faith in a group that has much more thorough and precise testing methods (PCPer has come up with much more accurate ways of benchmarking SSD's, and they're the ones that discovered that some AMD cards were drawing more power through the PCI-e bus than the bus was rated for) is extremely disturbing.

A lot of people stopped trusting them when they started pointing out weak points of AMD hardware.

Eylos

Banned
I liked more the movie edition, the game edition looked good on the older games the New games not so much, probably its a good use for the vitatv

This seems like something that might be really cool for WiiU and Switch to me. I'm kind of intrigued how it fares on my PS4 Pro's locked-resolution games (it seems dynamic resolution might not gain any benefit or may create problems?)... But, obviously, I'd rather not spend the money to tinker. I'll let someone else put the tech to the test.

I'm actually most interested in the impact it potentially has on the fighting games I play on my PS4 Pro. They tend to push for 60fps on console at the expense of some image quality. Would be nice to spruce up the IQ on console based SFV or Tekken 7.

Supersampling in games like Injustice 2 (which apparently runs at 1440p on PS4 Pro) on a 1080p monitor... I'm not sure if that counts as a 1080p output or a 1440p output according to the cable?

After seeing the linus stuff i would LOVE to see someone do a video on last gen consoles and even before. Gamecube, PS2, Wii w/ adapter and ps3/360. Because i would buy this in a heart beat if it works well with these.

Yeah I would love see a dedicated gaming review of this with last (and last-last gen) consoles.

Digital foundry. Get on this shit.

Thought that it being two separate cables would be a deal breaker for me, but honestly, the gaming edition I would primarily use on a Nintendo console, and there I wouldn't be watching movies I think.

Neat, but that sharpening filter and black crush... yikes.

Yeah seems to also post-sharpen as well on top of running some post process anti-aliasing. Pretty stark looking if you check out the background art in the image of your quote.

If they offered the ability to customise the various processing (sharpening, edge seek, whatever), it could be a pretty cool thing for older 3D consoles.

This looks to be doing what modern TVs have built in to them.

Plus, all the talk of Switch and other consoles, didn't Linus say it only works if you set the display resolution to that of the input? Meaning Switch and other lower than 1080 inputs wouldn't work on TVs anyway?

Dezzy

I don't like the idea of something altering the image from what it was meant to look like. The AA looks like it just blurs the picture more than it just smoothing out edges.
No thanks!

Edit: Ok, watched that video. This would actually be really cool for older systems like the PS2 and such, if it weren't for that price. Gotta keep in mind though that even if things look more detailed, they aren't. Cables can't ADD detail that wasn't there in the first place.

Izuna

Banned
This was always possible, the problem is how it affects games with AA solutions already.

TV tech should definately have it.

ss_lemonade

This looks to be doing what modern TVs have built in to them.

Plus, all the talk of Switch and other consoles, didn't Linus say it only works if you set the display resolution to that of the input? Meaning Switch and other lower than 1080 inputs wouldn't work on TVs anyway?

Modern TVs expose flaws even more so I'm not sure which modern TVs you are talking about (I only have a Sony w900a and a Samsung KS9000, so maybe the OLEDs are more gifted?)

Izuna

Banned
In the linus video they try using it on a game with 8x MSAA on and it improves the image even further.

MSAA is one thing, but if you're doing console gaming beware for some mixed results. A toggle would be nice and would basically make this a must buy if it did have flashable firmware.

I would appreciate an open-source one. I have been fantasising about this stuff being including in TV settings for a long time. I think it being in the cable is a very smart way to monetize the tech as a start-up, I wish I had thought of that a couple years ago myself...

I think that mainly happens when you combine 2 of them.

Not from what I saw. His initial reaction really surprised me because I thought the mCable side looked like absolute trash and he was praising it. I mean, this is some of the same shit Best Buy pulls on showfloor TVs.

Gitaroo

Definitely need one for switch lol. I am surprise tv manufacturer don't have this build into their video processor with all the smart tv etc. I will get this if they make one thats good for hdmi 2.1.

Kareha

A lot of people stopped trusting them when they started pointing out weak points of AMD hardware.

People who think PCPer has an anti-AMD viewpoint are crazy, especially because Ryan used to run Amdmb.com and Athlonmb.com before he started PCPer in 2004. Also, what's the point of a hardware review where any weak points are not pointed out? If I'm spending £000's on hardware I'd like to know everything, warts and all.

Timu

Not from what I saw. His initial reaction really surprised me because I thought the mCable side looked like absolute trash and he was praising it. I mean, this is some of the same shit Best Buy pulls on showfloor TVs.
From what I saw it did get worse when he added a 2nd cable, in fact it got to a point where he say he didn't recommend doing that.

CruelTott

Neo Member
One big issue is that they talk about setting the output from your console to the native resolution of the game.

This probably means that the anti-aliasing algorithm can't find the edges if they have been smoothed out by upscaling (which I noticed happening with FXAA and SMAA in Durantes PtBi).

This means that the cable will not be able to anti-alias games that render at 900p and then upscales to 1080p (like Mario Odyssey).

Metalmarc

Would buy a few of these if they were cheaper or i Won the Lotto lol. Was about to post this article, until I did a search.

Paragon

Would buy a few of these if they were cheaper or i Won the Lotto lol. Was about to post this article, until I did a search.
I imagine that the best setup would be something like a 4x2 matrix switcher with the mCable on one output and a standard HDMI cable hooked up to the other, rather than buying multiple mCables.

Top Bottom