• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel announces new "Champions" title featuring young heroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Marvel Revives An Old Team For New Series

Champions_1_Cover.jpg

As part of the Marvel NOW! "Divided We Stand" initiative, a new Champions series is on its way in October with young heroes from the Avengers and X-Men. This comes after days of "I Quit!" imagery featuring many of the characters now revealed to be members of the team, in what's described by series writer Mark Waid as a "generational shift."

"When we were growing up, the general perception was it takes adults to fix the world. Kids can do little things, but basically you have to wait till you grow up to make the big choices and the big decisions. Well, Mark Zuckerberg would disagree with you. Some of the other young trend-breaking scientists that are coming to light, online especially, would beg to differ with you," Waid told Entertainment Weekly. "Those are the inspirations, as much as anybody else, for the idea that we don’t have to wait until we grow up to be Tony Stark or Captain America to make a difference in this world. We’ll find our way, and we’ll find our own way."

Waid, who will be joined on Champions by artist Humberto Ramos, currently writes the Ms. Marvel/Spider-Man/Nova trio in All-New All-Different Avengers. The writer said much of the other members were recommendations by Marvel's Executive Editor Tom Brevoort.

"The Amadeus Cho Hulk worked for me because one, it’s a very primary character," said Brevoort. "The Hulk is a very core Marvel Universe character and that kind of gives a little more legitimacy to what you’re doing. And anytime you have a Hulk in a group situation, it’s a more volatile situation, even if it’s an upbeat happy Hulk. We thought that was pretty good for potential drama and interest."

With Cyclops, Waid has an ulterior motive in enlisting him for the team.

"And man, I’m in that tiny sliver of people who think Scott Summers is the best X-Man there is. I’ve loved Scott Summers ever since I first started reading X-Men comics back in the mid-60s," said Waid. "So I campaigned quite heavily to get young Scott Summers on that team. My primary goal was for the doubters: By the end of issue 1, I can make you love Scott Summers."

Brevoort explains, however, that Cyclops' would-be Champions teammates might be the hardest to welcome him in, comparing him to "Kid Hitler" in terms of what his adult counterpart apparently did in the still-unrevealed story between Secret Wars and "All-New All-Different Marvel."

This team takes its name from the 1970s Marvel super-team the Champions - a name that has been mired in legal battles that have prevented its re-use until now, even as 2007 with a series solicited as Champions being quickly changed to become The Order.

"Marvel Comics and Heroic Publishing have entered into a joint agreement that will allow for the publication of a Marvel's Champions comic book, while at the same time allowing Heroic to continue publishing its own line of separate Champions and Champions-related titles," said Marvel. "We’re pleased to have reached an agreement and wish Heroic Publishing the best in their future endeavors.

Eh-the Ew.com link is better:
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/05/marvel-champions

The new series Champions, from writer Mark Waid and artist Humberto Ramos, features a group of young Marvel heroes - Kamala Khan/Ms. Marvel, Miles Morales/Spider-Man, Sam Alexander/Nova, Amadeus Cho/The Hulk, Viv Vision, and a younger version of Scott Summers/Cyclops - splitting off from their Avengers forebears in order to change the world themselves. Although there will still be villains to fight and problems to solve with superpowers, Waid and Marvel say this team of Champions will channel more youthful activist energy than Marvel’s traditional superhero teams. Below, Waid and editor Tom Brevoort tell EW about the formation of the team, their unique goals, and whether they’re bracing for backlash similar to the recent Captain America controversy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom