• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Comics' 2012 crossover event: Avengers vs. X-Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scott has brain damage that is why he can control his power.

they retconned it into being psychosomatic. He doesn't actually need the visor anymore- but it is easier. Emma found this out somehow.

As for wolverine, House of M restored all his memories and stabilized his personality. This is why he isn't the crazy headcase he was in the 90s.

both of these are kind of BS, but that's comics for you.

CorvoSol

Cyclops got the ruby quartz visor at least. And Wolverine did find some peace. Enough to keep it contained most of the time. I mean he is the Headmaster of the Jean Grey School for Higher Learning. Thats a big evolution I'd say.

There's a Jean Grey School for Higher Learning? Jeez, the X-Men have not been able to keep their stuff together since House of M, have they?

Scott has brain damage that is why he can control his power.

Well you'd think when Wolvie head butted him it rattled something else and equaled everything out?

I still think Schism was dumb, and sorry but Cyke ain't takin Wolvie in a hand to hand. Shit just blocking a punch from wolverine should induce bone snapping.

Prof X DID help Wolverine become less of a loose cannon. There's a definite character arc over the course of Chris Claremont's run where he learns to chill a little.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460892

claremont's run was a million years ago. there were a dozen or so storylines between the 80s and house of M when wolverine ping ponged between being a normal guy with a kid sidekick, an antihero loner, and completely, totally feral.

backstory would be invented during one arc, then immediately retconned into an implanted memory. 90s wolverine was a hot mess

claremont's run was a million years ago. there were a dozen or so storylines between the 80s and house of M when wolverine ping ponged between being a normal guy with a kid sidekick, an antihero loner, and completely, totally feral.

backstory would be invented during one arc, then immediately retconned into an implanted memory. 90s wolverine was a hot mess

When he first joined the X-Men though, he was noticeably rougher around the edges. He was threatening to kill his teammates every issue. When he went feral it was crazy, but he was more like an animal that didn't know what he was doing. Early Wolverine knew exactly what he was doing though, he was basically a sociopath.

There's a Jean Grey School for Higher Learning? Jeez, the X-Men have not been able to keep their stuff together since House of M, have they?

Read Schism....actually don't I'll sum it up for you

Cyclops: "We can't leave this place MAH GOD WE NEED DIS ROCK!"
Wolverine: "These kids shouldn't have to fight/die here, we can always rebuild"
Cyclops: "NOOESS WE STAY HUR, THEY'RE SOLDIERS!"
Cyclops: "WELL JEAN LOVED ME HAIRY MAN!"
Wolverine: "And if she were here right now who do you think she would be more frighten of?"

Elsewhere

Child Villians: "Hey lets take out Magneto, Emma, and Namor.
Emma: "OMG, I HAS NO PSYCHICZ!"

The kids beat all 3 of them

SUPER HUGE MEGA SENTINEL IS HEADING TOWARD the ISLAND

Wolverine is beating up cyclops.

Cyclops is getting beat up.

They somehow defeat SUPER HUGE MEGA SENTINEL

Wolverine says fuck this shit and take a bunch of the kids with him back to the Mansion, they rebuild it and call it Jean Grey's School of the Gifted

Troll

Banned
When he first joined the X-Men though, he was noticeably rougher around the edges. He was threatening to kill his teammates every issue. When he went feral it was crazy, but he was more like an animal that didn't know what he was doing. Early Wolverine knew exactly what he was doing though, he was basically a sociopath.

Clairmont is horrible now, he did not age well with is writing, between his recent xmen run, the horrible Excalibur garbage and the Xmen Forever run they let him do just because continuity was too much for him.

Troll

Banned

Wolverine: "And if she were here right now who do you think she would be more frighten of?"

Elsewhere

Wolverine says fuck this shit and take a bunch of the kids with him back to the Mansion, they rebuild it and call it Jean Grey's School of the Gifted

Yours is better because it didnt cost me 15 bucks

CorvoSol

Elsewhere

I still think her pushing Scott in direction of Emma to save the universe is the stupidest thing ever. This still pales before that, I think.

Is there still a Xavier's Institute, or what?

Also, seriously, when is Jean coming back to put these stupid X-Men in their place? Or is that a pipe-dream, like Ghost Rider exposing Carlie Cooper as Mephisto and forcing him to tear up Peter Parker's contract?

I still think her pushing Scott in direction of Emma to save the universe is the stupidest thing ever. This still pales before that, I think.

Also, seriously, when is Jean coming back to put these stupid X-Men in their place? Or is that a pipe-dream, like Ghost Rider exposing Carlie Cooper as Mephisto and forcing him to tear up Peter Parker's contract?

I think they're saving Jean's return once sales start to slump. They've had plenty of stories to tell with Cyclops on his own. He's with Emma but hes really established himself as a leader again without being dependent on his girlfriend. Jean coming back is their ace in the hole as I see it.

CorvoSol

I think they're saving Jean's return once sales start to slump. They've had plenty of stories to tell with Cyclops on his own. He's with Emma but hes really established himself as a leader again without being dependent on his girlfriend. Jean coming back is their ace in the hole as I see it.

That sounds suspiciously similar to the FF7 Remake Conspiracy Theory.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

You think phoenix is gonna change the status quo? I don't think so. Only wanda can undo that.(and hopefully she revives the dead kids in the process)

CorvoSol

You think phoenix is gonna change the status quo? I don't think so. Only wanda can undo that.(and hopefully she revives the dead kids in the process

I don't know about the whole "No More Mutants" deal, but I think that Jean's return would certainly stop the X-Men from mucking around for awhile. Like, everybody's fighting because Hope is allegedly gonna get the Phoenix Force, right? But if, instead, they knew that Jean was coming back WITH the Phoenix Force in tow, I don't think there'd be so much of a fight as a "Oh crap remember when Hulk came back and he was super pissed well we're about to do that whole thing all over again."

Or they could just make Rachel relevant again since she was a pretty good character before they decided to...phase her out. I just don't want them bringing back Jean

Parallax

I don't know about the whole "No More Mutants" deal, but I think that Jean's return would certainly stop the X-Men from mucking around for awhile. Like, everybody's fighting because Hope is allegedly gonna get the Phoenix Force, right? But if, instead, they knew that Jean was coming back WITH the Phoenix Force in tow, I don't think there'd be so much of a fight as a "Oh crap remember when Hulk came back and he was super pissed well we're about to do that whole thing all over again."
Phoenix' return wouldn't be like world war hulk. It would be like the other times they've had to deal with her rogue side. there would have to be some greater stakes for it to be an event, and they know it. That's why we have this A vs X nonsense

CorvoSol

Phoenix' return wouldn't be like world war hulk. It would be like the other times they've had to deal with her rogue side. there would have to be some greater stakes for it to be an event, and they know it. That's why we have this A vs X nonsense

Okay, but you know seeing the Phoenix open a can of whoopass on the entirety of the X-Men would be worth watching.

Parallax

It would be nice to see scott get bitchslapped, but I know he'll just get back up after being set on fire.

txZ5w.jpg

I love how nobody even takes note when they slap Mar-Vell on a cover anymore.

I kinda wish they'd stop fucking around with him and just make Noh-Varr Captain Marvel.

Elsewhere

lol and yet schism is still the fucking best

You think phoenix is gonna change the status quo? I don't think so. Only wanda can undo that.(and hopefully she revives the dead kids in the process)

Hope's power + Phoenix Force = end to No More Mutants.

Just like a wiki entry from the future.

Elsewhere

Read this and save your fucking money. Someone should do one for Fear Itself as a PSA.

vXo9I.jpg

NEW AVENGERS #26
BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS (w) • MIKE DEODATO (a/c)
• AVX TIE-IN!
• The secret history of the Phoenix is revealed in K’un Lun’s book of the dead Iron Fists. One of the most important chapters in the AVX story.
• What is Danny Rand’s secret connection to the Phoenix?
32PGS./Rated T ...$3.99

Parallax

I love how nobody even takes note when they slap Mar-Vell on a cover anymore.

I kinda wish they'd stop fucking around with him and just make Noh-Varr Captain Marvel.

because to bring mar-vell back is marvels cocktease. sure he'll be there. then hell sacrifice himself to save the earth from the phoenix, of give people the courage to do it or some shit.

i wish they would just bring him back and put him on a team. marvelman too, but hats not happening.

Hope's power + Phoenix Force = end to No More Mutants.

Just like a wiki entry from the future.

fucking marvel.

oEEhw.jpg

Looking at how Spidey has taken down Colossus and Juggernaut at different times I say he has an edge here.

I really like Gillen, and Larrocoa draws a great Spider-Man, but I've never been a big fan of McNiven. He draws the stiffest action, and for a tie-in book where that's all its suppose to be...eh. Spidey part should be good, though.

Parallax

Just as a Bonus Content for the DVD, I'll add:

They will kill Scarlet Witch at the end of Children's Crusade so it looks like there's no way to fix No More Mutants.

You know, for the drama.

so years and years of looking for wanda and pietro super angsting? yeah fuck that noise. put all of the eisenhardt clan on a team together and send them somewhere in cosmic marvel so i dont have to see or hear that bullshit.

and where the fuck is banshee already? my boy should be here by now.

I hope Cap beats the ever-loving fuck out of Gambit.

ahh gambit haters, you refresh me. why is gambit so hated and longshot so loved?

Parallax

Merely an educated guess, Parallax. ;)

and my reaction to such a guess. i hate comic angst. i hated it when hank did it(though i dont know why he did it and he did get a badass new costume out of too.) i hated it when peter and pierto did it. get pissed off like worldbreaker and fuck shit up or something.

CorvoSol

It would be nice to see scott get bitchslapped, but I know he'll just get back up after being set on fire.

But maybe we could have 5+ years of no Scott Summers the way we've had 5+ years of no Jean? And Scott was forced to push her onto Wolverine to save the universe from ever having to put up with another Summers ever again?

Parallax

But maybe we could have 5+ years of no Scott Summers the way we've had 5+ years of no Jean? And Scott was forced to push her onto Wolverine to save the universe from ever having to put up with another Summers ever again?

it wouldnt work with scott and jean reversed. scott isnt a psychic. now if emma made the same sacrifice, with her becoming phoenix in jeans place i wouldnt mid it so much, as for the summers with our luck, hyperstorm and ruby summers would be inserted into the 616.

1. WTF is with Colossus' arm / lower section...looks weird as fuck
2. WTF does Iron Fist have like a 10 pack? lol

Read this and save your fucking money. Someone should do one for Fear Itself as a PSA.

I can do that.

The main gist of Fear Itself (minus the pointless sidestories....made pointless by how dumb FIT is)

Captain America in his Secret Avenger gear (FUCKING BOSS!) trying to stop a riot (I think they were protesting fat people wearing thongs, actually Asgard or part of it crashed on earth)

Red Skull's daughter REDDER SKULL finds a hammer in tombed in ice, she's all like MAH HAMMUR!! DADDY I FOUND HAMMUR! YAY!!

PEWWW EXPLOSION OF LIGHT

REDDER SKULL IS NOW REDDER SKULL+HAMMUR!

REDDER SKULL goes and meets All-Father 2

All-Father 2 is like...DIS BITCH NEED MO HAMMURS! and summons hammers from fuck knows where (no really....deep space...seriously)

Odin has kicked Thor's ass and dragged him back to Asgard

EVERYONE GETS A HAMMUR

JUGGERNAUT gets a hammur and becomes.....GLOWING JUGGERNAUT! (Kuurth Breaker of Stone)

HULK (OG HULK) gets a hammur and is METAL ARMS HULK! (Nul Breaker of Worlds)

TITANIA gets one and becomes....TALLER TITANIA! (Skrin Breaker of Men)

NAZIS ARE ATTACKING AMERICA (random warping magic by all Father 2)

Thing gets a hammur is becomes....JAPANESE TENTACLE THING!

Bucky gets killed (FUCK!) Steve puts back on Captain gear

HAMMUR boys are wrecking shit

Red Hulk gets wrecked...we all laugh

Thor takes on two and goes "I gotta ly down now"

Iron Man is all like YO BITCH ODIN, LET ME USE YOUR SHIT TO MAKE BADASS WEAPONS BRO!

Odin is all like I IZ OWDIN, DON'T TALK TO ME LIKE THAT SWINE!

Iron Man is like FUCK YOU, GIVE US SHIT MAN

Odin is like FIIIIINE

....then I stopped reading because I got bored.

Clairmont is horrible now, he did not age well with is writing, between his recent xmen run, the horrible Excalibur garbage and the Xmen Forever run they let him do just because continuity was too much for him.
I really can't forgive Clairmont for what he did to Exiles, that was an awesome little series until he came on board, got rid of all the old characters to have his cast of X-Men he loves the most and then ruin everything. They tried to fix it up after that with another relaunch but it just never worked :(

I really can't forgive Clairmont for what he did to Exiles, that was an awesome little series until he came on board, got rid of all the old characters to have his cast of X-Men he loves the most and then ruin everything. They tried to fix it up after that with another relaunch but it just never worked :(

Ugh don't remind me =(

Slayven

it wouldnt work with scott and jean reversed. scott isnt a psychic. now if emma made the same sacrifice, with her becoming phoenix in jeans place i wouldnt mid it so much, as for the summers with our luck, hyperstorm and ruby summers would be inserted into the 616.

Ruby is awesome.

First set of June covers/solicitations:

4OIfW.jpg
AVENGERS VS X-MEN #5 (of 12)
MATT FRACTION (W) • JOHN ROMITA JR (a)
Cover by JIM CHEUNG
Avengers Team Variant Also Available
X-Men Team Variant Also Available
Stegman Sketch Variant Also Available
• The fiery conclusion of Act One brought to you by Matt Fraction and John Romita Jr!
• Clashing on a lunar battlefield, the tide of the conflict will be turned…
• The Phoenix takes its host! All hope is lost?!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
(Note that this represents a change in the structure of AvX; as originally announced, it was supposed to be three acts of four issues each, with Romita, Coipel, and Kubert drawing in that order.)

vfFhk.jpg
AVX: VS #3 (of 6)
JEPH LOEB & CHRIS YOST (w)
ED MCGUINESS & TERRY DODSON (a)
COVER BY ED MCGUINESS
FIGHT POSTER VARIANT BY TERRY DODSON
• All fights, All the time!
• Black Widow vs. Magik!
• Colossus vs. Thing!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

jS6mj.jpg
SECRET AVENGERS #28
Story by RICK REMENDER
Art by RENATO GUEDES
Cover by ALAN DAVIS
ASM IN MOTION VARIANT ALSO AVAILABLE
AVX TIE-IN!
• The Avengers have devised a way to save the Kree homeworld from the Phoenix, but one man stands in their way – Captain Marvel!
• Can Ms. Marvel and The Protector break free of Minister Marvel’s influence to aid their former companions?
• When all else fails, one Avenger must rise and make the ultimate sacrifice…but will his death be enough?
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom