• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel films lack cinematographic style

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlow

Banned
Hey I'm a lifelong comic reader. I'm not saying there isn't any good action but it's rarely the emphasis of a book because that's not how western comicbooks are produced. In Japan, you usually have a single author who is usually also the artist who is delivering a singular, unified vision. In the west, authors and artists often work on multiple books all at the same time with the an underlying mandate that key characters be written pretty much without an end in sight. So in manga, you often have an entire chapter or volume dedicated to a single encounter or series of action scenes whereas in western comics, the emphasis is on moving the story forward with a a few action splash pages in each issue.
I agree with you on the most part. Manga can afford to spend so much time on encounters and battles especially shounen because that is what peopel read it for and the weekly release pattern

Hey I'm a lifelong comic reader. I'm not saying there isn't any good action but it's rarely the emphasis of a book because that's not how western comicbooks are produced. In Japan, you usually have a single author who is usually also the artist who is delivering a singular, unified vision. In the west, authors and artists often work on multiple books all at the same time with the an underlying mandate that key characters be written pretty much without an end in sight. So in manga, you often have an entire chapter or volume dedicated to a single encounter or series of action scenes whereas in western comics, the emphasis is on moving the story forward with a a few action splash pages in each issue.

The latter is more of a result manga's specific format and release schedule. You can focus on specific scene because you're producing 15-20 pages a week. A fight in 20 pages vs. a fight in 60-80 pages is a completely different task.

That said, while I love manga, I'd rather not have that logistical style brought to the US. Having known someone who did it, the traditional big mag manga working style is simply a grueling pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom