• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite Review Thread

BadWolf

Plus its obviously visually appalling, and it doesn't seem to be more accessible because of the crazy tag/infinity combos.

But also Iron Man's in it and its on all platforms so who knows?

Yeah, the only way I can see this game having impressive sales is if Marvel fans jump in blindly.

Durden77

About exactly what I expected. Good to see that so far every reviewer seems to be set on the fact that the gameplay is fantastic. I knew this already, but it's good to see the mix between casual and hardcore players/reviewers all think so.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wouldn't mediocre be around the 6's to low 7's?

As far as sales go, that'll be interesting to see.

This was the list of Metacritic scores for $60 retail games in 2016. A 77 would put it at the top of the bottom third.

Uncharted 4: 93
Overwatch: 91
Forza Horizon 3: 91
Dark Souls 3: 89
Titanfall 2: 89
Civilization VI: 89
XCOM 2: 88
Dishonored 2: 88
Battlefield 1: 88
World of Warcraft: Legion: 88
Total War: Warhammer: 86
Pro Evolution Soccer 2017: 85
Gears of War 4: 85
MLB The Show 16: 85
Doom: 85
---------------------------- (1/3rd Mark)
FIFA 17: 84
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided: 84
Dragon Quest Builders: 83
Watch Dogs 2: 83
The Last Guardian: 83
Final Fantasy XV: 81
Skylanders Imaginators: 81
# Fire Emblem: 80
The Division: 80
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4: 79
NHL 17: 78
LEGO Star Wars: 78
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare: 78
World of Final Fantasy: 78
---------------------------- (1/3rd Mark)
Street Fighter V: 77
Quantum Break: 77
Pokken Tournament: 76
Far Cry Primal: 76
Paper Mario: Color Splash: 76
Attack On Titan: 74
Steep: 72
LEGO Marvel: 71
No Man's Sky: 71
Mirror's Edge: Catalyst: 69
WWE 2K17: 69
Star Fox Zero: 69
Battleborn: 68
Mafia 3: 68
Star Ocean 5: 59
Homefront 2: 48

Neoxon

6 is straight bad for video games. 7 is mediocre.
So would this be the scale?
PphuRWd.jpg

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Story mode is a waste of time but it's needs to be done to have it on the checklist.

Yeah, but I would've sacrificed a story mode if the presentation/roster could've been better with the budget. But yeah, with all the competition in the genre, they pretty much had to include it.

Lothars

Medicore reviews plus a mostly boring roster with the cool stuff being DLC?

Capcom fucked this game up so bad in that regard.

Game should've been $40.
Meh I don't think they did, The roster is mostly fine even though I want some X-Men. The game seems like it has alot going for it more than some suggest.

The reviews are also better than I expected. It seems like a good scores.

Nyoro SF

The scores surprised me at first, but presentation does matter a lot. It's a real shame that Capcom didn't invest in good visuals because the game looks like a blast to play.

mollipen

This is one of those moments when I'm at odds with the whole review process.

I'm playing the game for review. Gone through the story mode, played through the main tutorial missions, some other stuff. Have opinions on the game. But there's no clear indication of how servers with stand up to actual launch. Barely any real-world experience playing against others. I (not anyone else) can truly speak to half of the game—it's competitive side. (Unless you've got a great local FGC group to sit down and play the game with.)

Reviews hitting for embargo can't give a proper picture of what this game is, yet even by waiting to put my review up later this week so I can have some proper online time with it, my review is "late" and worth far less. Grrr. (And yes, credit to the "reviews in progress" folks.)

Also Morrigan'a voice is hot.

6 is straight bad for video games. 7 is mediocre.

In a rational world, 5 is average.

Lettuce

To be fair when MvC2 came out on the Dreamcast it was massively over looked and didn't get favorable reviews and that game was awesome!!

Pooya

The game looks really ugly. Probably worst looking high profile fighting game in some time. Last gen games look better when you consider model details and things like that.

KingBroly

Banned
This is about what I would expect. It's at the same Metascore as Street Fighter V.

This makes sense given that it seems like a more complete product, but expectations have also raised over time.

I don't think Capcom has money, manpower or willpower to do what they want to do anymore. They made so many bad investments last generation and bad partnerships this generation that they're stretched thin now, in addition to providing tons of remakes (and ports of remakes) while not providing much of anything new. And the stuff that is new, is good at best when they need to be great or better.

This is SFV Part Two. They want the game to be a platform, but are releasing the main content with the game when it comes out instead of 4-6 months after the fact. The DLC will be overpriced, but now people won't have a chance "to earn" free DLC while the prices remain just as high, despite having more people being persuaded to dip into it without that free incentive, on top of the game being on a 3rd platform now. A "More Complete at Launch" Street Fighter V won't cut it.

Jawmuncher

Looks like it'll score around SFV. Doesn't have the botched launch of missing features. But takes a hit in the presentation and base roster going by most reviews.
Seems a lot of reviewers are using Injustice 2 as the base line. So capcom is gonna need to put in work to try and compete to that mentality.

Dahbomb

All the reviews are railing on the game's presentation but praising the game play.

Mirror image of what was in the OT and the reviews seem to be in line with what people expected.

It's hardly a waste of time if it's done well.

Look at MK/Injustice.

It's just a personal opinion when it comes to fighting games it's a bunch of nonsense, just do it like Alpha few bosses/rivals for every character and a short animated ending. Some appreciate this but to me it's just dumb. I respect those who like it though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

The breakdown is generally, in terms of Metacritic average:

90+: Instant GOTY candidate, very few per year.
85-89: Includes many GOTY candidates and games that are otherwise exceptional games in their genre.
80-84: Generally considered good, but have some noticeable flaws that detract from the experience. The good outweighs the bad.
75-79: The flaws are generally equal to what's good about the game. Examples would be games with good gameplay, but are otherwise poor products, or games that do a good job setting up art, world, and story, but lack compelling gameplay.
70-74: Games that have some upsides, but the bad outweights the good.
65-69: Failed experiments. This category actually attracts some cult hits that are otherwise panned, since they often tried something interesting, but the execution was considered quite poor by most people.
0-64: This are basically considered straight up bad games without notable redeeming qualities.

jett

D-Member
Seems about right.

Still crazy to me that Capcom managed to have SF5 looks as good as it does, but then make a good chunk of the MvC:I character models look like they were ripped from a mobile game

At least it sounds like it plays great, which is really the main thing i'm buying it for

SFV had Sony's moneybags behind it. This game has nothing but Capcom's meager coffers.

Video games are a weird medium. It's kind of accepted that a game will rarely dip below 50-60 as long as it works. So the games that get outright trashed are usually fundamentally broken either from a design point of view or from a buggy point of view.

A 6 or a 7 in reviews means that yeah, the game is functional, but it's seen on the lower end of functioning video games. Games are expensive and people are choosy, so basically a 6 or a 7 is damning because most people won't bother with those when they have so many 8s and 9s out there to try instead.

It's kind of like the idea that being mediocre or average, or just otherwise forgettable, is worse than being outright bad. People still talk about how legendarily bad Batman and Robin is. Batman Forever gets glossed over so much more in comparison.

If I had to say one more thing I think it's important to distinguish your own personal scale from the review/metacritic scale. Metacritic is just an average of a wide range of reviews so it's important to keep that in mind too. So it's not necessarily about the number as a number, but that number as the quantified version of a consensus. Or something like that.

Not even probably going to get but, a 7 isn't like a dumpster fire for a game.

It's sad people keep doing this to be honest.

The breakdown is generally, in terms of Metacritic average:

90+: Instant GOTY candidate, very few per year.
85-89: Includes many GOTY candidates and games that are otherwise exceptional games in their genre.
80-84: Generally considered good, but have some noticeable flaws that detract from the experience. The good outweighs the bad.
75-79: The flaws are generally equal to what's good about the game. Examples would be games with good gameplay, but are otherwise poor products, or games that do a good job setting up art, world, and story, but lack compelling gameplay.
70-74: Games that have some upsides, but the bad outweights the good.
65-69: Failed experiments. This category actually attracts some cult hits that are otherwise panned, since they often tried something interesting, but the execution was considered quite poor by most people.
0-64: This are basically considered straight up bad games without notable redeeming qualities.

Using educational systems grading scales for video games bugs me but, that's me.

Honestly, the visuals didn't disappoint me that much. The retread roster is what brought it down for me. It feels a bit more like UMvC3+ than a full sequel. Plays like an MvC game though.

Netcode held up fine in my online matches with my review fighterati. The PC version did have this thing where it hitched up occasionally, but I could never figure out if it was the game or my PC, and that wasn't apparent in what little I played of the other versions.

3.5 out of 5 for me. Good, but man, the roster is a bummer.

bigkrev

Reviewing Fighting games is a weird thing. Street Fighter x Tekken got great reviews (84 on Metacritic), but the competitive community abandoned it because it was a bad competitive game. You can judge the content around it (Story mode, ect), but the actual game itself is the most important part of the equation, and it's going to take time to see how the game holds up to people playing it for hundreds of hours.

BiggNife

So why does it look so disappointing?, were Capcom developing it as a budget title but asking AAA prices?

It definitely seems like it was rushed out the door for some reason, maybe a licensing thing. If it had six more months of polish this would probably be getting 8s.

Reviewing Fighting games is a weird thing. Street Fighter x Tekken got great reviews (84 on Metacritic), but the competitive community abandoned it because it was a bad competitive game. You can judge the content around it (Story mode, ect), but the actual game itself is the most important part of the equation, and it's going to take time to see how the game holds up to people playing it for hundreds of hours.

SFxT is the kind of game that gave a very good first impression but then slowly fell apart when people eventually realized how flawed competitive play was. I remember the FGC was super high on SFxT for a couple weeks before the consensus shifted.

On the other hand, I think MvCI has the opposite problem. It gives a lot of people a negative first impression but people seem to be slowly warming up to it as it becomes more apparent that the gameplay is classic Marvel.

Allforce

I play pretty much every fighting game and I'm completely ambivalent about this one for some reason I can put my finger on. It shipped today and I had basically forgotten I had ordered it. At least it was only 40 bucks at Amazon.

BadWolf

It's just a personal opinion when it comes to fighting games it's a bunch of nonsense, just do it like Alpha few bosses/rivals for every character and a short animated ending. Some appreciate this but to me it's just dumb. I respect those who like it though.

Yeah I agree on a personal level as well but when it comes to sales, good story/single player content can go a long way.

If your a DMC fan you owe it to yourself to see it. It's basically a huge apology towards that fanbase. lol

I'll have to check it out on YT then :)

Jawmuncher

Honestly, the visuals didn't disappoint me that much. The retread roster is what brought it down for me. It feels a bit more like UMvC3+ than a full sequel. Plays like an MvC game though.

Netcode held up fine in my online matches with my review fighterati. The PC version did have this thing where it hitched up occasionally, but I could never figure out if it was the game or my PC, and that wasn't apparent in what little I played of the other versions.

3.5 out of 5 for me. Good, but man, the roster is a bummer.

Especially for the casual side of things. So many returnees. Especially when they're not fan favorites was always gonna hurt it as well. Hopefully they take the feedback between this and SFV for whatever fighter is next for capcom. Third times the charm.

I'm still having a hard time understanding why they shrunk the roster and went from 3 to 2 characters. It just seems like they're releasing a lesser game than MvC3.

At this point, I'll likely skip it.

Top Bottom