• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider-Man 2 Reveal Trailer Tops 20 Million Views on YouTube

Lognor

Banned
This will probably break new records for a PS game, under the presumtion enough PS5s have been sold to warrant it.
Like the first game, it'll definitely have legs, but upfront it won't track as high as the first game due to the limited number of PS5s sold. Yes, I know this isn't coming out until next year but we will likely still have supply issues.

skit_data

Spiderman PS4 has sold more copies than views on Spiderman 2 video, Miles Morales is still charting high, why in the world do people think Spiderman 2 won't sell 20+ million?
It most definitely will, but a rough estimate would put PS5 at around 35-40 million sold units in 2023 at most, and considering the much smaller install base compared to 2018 Spider-Man it will probably take a while for it to hit 20 million.

But then again, I bet Miles Morales have an almost 1/2 attach rate with PS5 so…

Last edited:

SSfox

Guess it make sens, it's gonna be a very good game for sure just like the first game, add to this the "Marvel" Effect, not just that but it's Spiderman, it'ss not my favorite superhero characters but for the big audience it's safe to say he's the most popular.

To me it's one of those i watched the least, GOWR and GT7 are the ones i watched the most.

Last edited:
Spiderman PS4 has sold more copies than views on Spiderman 2 video, Miles Morales is still charting high, why in the world do people think Spiderman 2 won't sell 20+ million?
1. ~90 million PS4 were sold when Spider-Man was released. I doubt Sony will sell 90 million PS5 until Spider-Man 2
2. If i look at Ratchet or Demons Souls Sony seems to try to keep prices higher this gen. Spider-Man was down to 30 bucks within 2 months after the release.

Not saying it won't sell 20 million since it's a very popular franchise, but it could be harder/take longer this time.

Lognor

Banned
I wonder if it's coming to ps4?
Insomniac said back in September that it is only coming to PS5. Now that could change, as it did with Gran Turismo 7.

The game isn't coming out until probably over a year from now so you'll have to wait a bit to see if it stays PS5 exclusive. I think it could go either way, especially with the supply issues on the PS5. We know the game can do monster numbers, but releasing it on PS5 only will hinder it up front. Yes, it will have legs that will last through this gen, but we know it won't maintain that $70 price point so Sony may do another 180 here like they did with GT7. We'll have to wait and see!

yurinka

As reference, these are the most viewed videos ever in the PlayStation YouTube channel:
image.png

Was this confirmed to be PS5 only, not cross gen??
Insomniac said back in September that it is only coming to PS5. Now that could change, as it did with Gran Turismo 7.
It didn't change with GT7. Unlike with Spider-Man 2, they never said GT7 wasn't going to be released on PS4: instead of that they only announced the PS5 version first and the PS4 version later.

It isn't the same to say it won't be released on a platform than to never deny it's coming for it and wait to announce it later instead.

1. ~90 million PS4 were sold when Spider-Man was released. I doubt Sony will sell 90 million PS5 until Spider-Man 2
2. If i look at Ratchet or Demons Souls Sony seems to try to keep prices higher this gen. Spider-Man was down to 30 bucks within 2 months after the release.

Not saying it won't sell 20 million since it's a very popular franchise, but it could be harder/take longer this time.
I think it will need more time than Spider-Man 1 but I think it will also achieve over 2M, many sequels of top tier AAA games sold more than the original entry.

I think that even if the PS5 userbase will be smaller at the Spider-Man 2 release than the PS4 one was when Spider-Man 1 was released, they will compensate it porting it on PC waiting less years (only a couple years or slightly less than 2 years) than they will wait to release Spider-Man 1 (I think they'll release it on PC next year, 5 years after the original and a few months before the Spider-Man 2 release, as they did with Horizon and GoW to build hype for the PS5 sequels).

Last edited:

RGB'D

I will definitely get and play this game. Spiderman and MM are right up there with my favorite games on PS. That said I feel like there is a ton of room to improve upon the world, mission structure and gameplay. Swinging was incredible and the fighting was pretty good but I hope Insomniac ups the ante with this game and builds off the blueprint they nailed in the first iterations.

Lognor

Banned
As reference, these are the most viewed videos ever in the PlayStation YouTube channel:
image.png

It didn't change with GT7. Unlike with Spider-Man 2, they never said GT7 wasn't going to be released on PS4: instead of that they only announced the PS5 version first and the PS4 version later.
No, it did in fact change with GT7. No need to spin that.

What does Playstation 5 exclusive mean if it's also available on PS4? I guess Spiderman 2 could be on PS4 even though it's a PS5 exclusive. Sony just hasn't announced the PS4 version yet.

1t7mrUV.jpg

yurinka

No, it did in fact change with GT7. No need to spin that.

What does Playstation 5 exclusive mean if it's also available on PS4? I guess Spiderman 2 could be on PS4 even though it's a PS5 exclusive. Sony just hasn't announced the PS4 version yet.
Following Sony, MS and Nintendo standards in trailers and events, PlayStation exclusive (or Xbox exclusive, or Nintendo exclusive) means isn't coming to the consoles of their competition on launch day.

It may exactly mean:
-Only released on PS5
-Only released on PS5 at launch, may be ported to PC after some time
-Only released on PS5 and PS4
-Only released on PS5, PS4 and PC and never will be released on consoles of the competition
-Only released on PS5, PS4 at launch, but after some time (typically 1 year, but sometimes there are other exclusivity periods lik 6 months or 2 years) may be released on PC or consoles of the competition
-Only released on PS5, PS4 and PC at launch, but after some time (typically 1 year, but sometimes there are other exclusivity periods lik 6 months or 2 years) may be released on consoles of the competition

Same goes with saying PS5/Xbox Series/Switch exclusive, since many times in their marketing content like trailers or tv ads they only mention/market their newest hardware even if the game will be released. This happens not only with Sony, but also with MS or Nintendo. An example could be BotW, a game that Nintendo multiple times mentioned as Switch exclusive, or in 'Switch exclusive' video reels.

It isn't the same but it's a somewhat similar to the case of big multiplatform games announced in their events, pretty likely because they had a marketing deal: they announce these games only for their platform (without mentioning it as exclusive). And later is known it's also coming to other platforms, in many cases the same launch day. Their idea is to market only the version (so hardware too) they prefer you to buy.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Following Sony, MS and Nintendo standards in trailers and events, PlayStation exclusive (or Xbox exclusive, or Switch exclusive) means isn't coming to the consoles of their competition, at least on launch day.

It may exactly mean:
-Only released on PS5
-Only released on PS5 and PS4
-Only released on PS5, PS4 and PC and never will be released on consoles of the competition
-Only released on PS5, PS4 and PC at launch, but after some time (typically 1 year, but sometimes there are other exclusivity periods lik 6 months or 2 years) may be released on consoles of the competition
Dude. Look at the picture. It doesn't say Playstation exclusive.

You're wrong, and that's okay.

Sony did announce it as a PS5 exclusive and they backtracked. The same could happen with Spiderman 2. I'm not saying it will, but there is precedent.

yurinka

Dude. Look at the picture. It doesn't say Playstation exclusive.

You're wrong, and that's okay.

Sony did announce it as a PS5 exclusive and they backtracked. The same could happen with Spiderman 2. I'm not saying it will, but there is precedent.
Edited it to explain it with more detail.

//DEVIL//

I wonder if Sony is going to release the spiderman games on PC. for some reason I am kinda expecting all the PS5 games to be on PC aside from GT7 because that team is slow as a turtle to make games as its. asking them to port it to PC the dev team will die.

Lognor

Banned
Edited it to explain it with more detail.
Yeah, you're still wrong. It clearly says ps5 exclusive. I haven't seen anyone else arguing this so it's a bit surprising. Even the biggest ps fans acknowledged that Sony announced gt7 as ps5 exclusive and then backtracked

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Imma let you finish but the views from Starfields release date trailer across youtube are more impressive being that its a brand new IP and not a sequel of a hugely popular one.

Relax, guys.

ill be completely honest, I dont get why the view count Of a trailer can excite anyone or I dunno, make them feel some form of anything. Spider-Man is huge, i get it. I’m getting the game day one and I’ll enjoy it but it’s not like it’s some magnum opus of gaming and like top ten of all time….
….it’s just an absolutely great fun game experience that I’ll play and move on.

maybe I’m just not tuned into that kind of stuff, but I couldn’t give a fook how many views a trailer gets, or how many streams a song gets for some pop artist. It doesn’t make it better than some other game or song etc.

spider-man is just too niche for me I guess kekw

Last edited:
I knew some moron, eager to virtue signal, would come along to try to attack me for my comment. It's just something I noticed, I'm not "outraged" or "triggered" about it. The main character's race or gender has never been a criteria for what I decide to play and I doubt that will change going forward.

"hellbent"

but sure, you don't sound triggered, my mistake.

yurinka

I wonder if Sony is going to release the spiderman games on PC. for some reason I am kinda expecting all the PS5 games to be on PC aside from GT7 because that team is slow as a turtle to make games as its. asking them to port it to PC the dev team will die.
Sony seems to be porting some old blockbusters, not all of them. But in the case of Spider-Man, I think they will port all 3 games. I think they would release Spider-Man 1 on PC next year, 5 years after release a few months before the PS5 version of Spider-Man 2. And then in 2024 they would release Miles Morales on PC, a few months before the PS5 release of Wolverine and almost 4 years after the PS4/PS5 release.

yurinka

Yeah, you're still wrong. It clearly says ps5 exclusive. I haven't seen anyone else arguing this so it's a bit surprising. Even the biggest ps fans acknowledged that Sony announced gt7 as ps5 exclusive and then backtracked
I'm not wrong. As I mentioned Sony, MS and Nintendo marketed multiple games that were also available on thier older consoles (or even in PC day one) as exclusives of the newest one. As it was in this case, 'PS5 exclusive'. It's a fact. If you don't want to accept facts it's your issue, not mine.

I assume that they decided to announce the PS4 version due to marketing reasons, to push early PS5 sales a bit more, or maybe to avoid crossgen related backlash on the announcement. That's all.

Last edited:
The word speaks to Sony, not to me. They killed Joel, they retired Nate, they're about to kill Kratos, it's hard not to see the pattern. They got Miles so they could easily sideline/kill Pete if they want to as well.

This is just getting daft come the fuck on. Sony isn't telling the writers of their own games to kill off their protags lmao. Apparently you can't give characters closure now or it turns into some agenda

XTA

Neo Member
I wouldn't be surprised if they kill off Peter, or at the very least sideline him going forward (kinda like they did with Nate). Sony seems hellbent on removing all white male leads from their first party games. If the ending to God of War is any indication then Kratos is up next on the chopping block.
this right here is some sad clown shit. stop being a sad clown

Last edited:

Kuranghi

The word speaks to Sony, not to me. They killed Joel, they retired Nate, they're about to kill Kratos, it's hard not to see the pattern. They got Miles so they could easily sideline/kill Pete if they want to as well.

Uncharted was/is tired in its current form though, it needs a refresh. Kratos was destined to die imo, he's a tragic character. I don't care about TLOU so can't speak to that.

People loved the gameplay upgrades of Miles Morales but everyone I speak to says they either hate MM's voice and the story and characters were boring/crap compared to 2018 so I don't think they're going to retire PP. If they do that will actually be annoying.

yurinka

This is just getting daft come the fuck on. Sony isn't telling the writers of their own games to kill off their protags lmao. Apparently you can't give characters closure now or it turns into some agenda
this right here is some sad clown shit. stop being a sad clown

Not only Uncharted, TLOU or GoW, Miles replaced Peter as main character of the second game, Ratchet got a female version. Returnal, GoT and Horizon didn't have a white male protagonist, Days Gone didn't get a sequel. Too much cases, seems Sony wants to get rid of their white male characters.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Damn you Sony for not milking a series to death so we resent it in its entirety.

What more could they do with Nate? Lost Legacy showed the series could easily have another protagonist (likely not digital blackface Laura Bailey for obvious reasons). We've had 5 games with Nate as the main character so sometimes it's nice to see a character finally have a happy ending. Your idea for Uncharted 5 is what 'Nate who has marriage problems (again) and goes after some treasure again'. 👍sounds fresh and definitely not stale.

While TLOU2 needs a bit of tweaking, the character Joel is fictional and if you can't accept the death of a fictional character I think you need help.

How many God of War games with Kratos do you need? Genuinely

Because Sucker Punch didn't milk Cole McGrath and Infamous, we got Jin Sakai and Ghost of Tsushima. Change can be a great thing.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
SONY has embraced the Spider-Man since the early 2000s, I had fun with Spider-Man PS4, and Miles Morales, good to have the OG Spider-Man back, hopefully the puzzles are better because they're average in those games, yes it's a franchise SONY fanboys root for but I like the city, the suits, and most importantly overwhelming quality villain's with insane powers.

tumblr_mo55ihdcNH1rn6mb8o1_500.gif

I wouldn't be surprised if they kill off Peter, or at the very least sideline him going forward (kinda like they did with Nate). Sony seems hellbent on removing all white male leads from their first party games. If the ending to God of War is any indication then Kratos is up next on the chopping block.

Dude, I can assure you it's okay to have black people present in some stuff. It's okay to have them even be leads, it's okay to have them be seen as equal next to white characters. Why are you so threatened by the mere idea that a white male isn't the hero of something? Why are you concerned the iconic Peter Parker will just suddenly up and stop existing? Are you also concerned they're going to make the black girl who appeared in the Ragnarok trailer the new lead of God of War or something? Is Kratos going to become Kisha? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm always amazed that this kind of backwards thinking even exists anymore. Like what century and world are we living in?

Top Bottom