• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Defenders |OT| Featuring The Worst Iron Fist - August 18th on Netflix

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I do like how Charlie Cox makes a very convincing blind guy, a great Matt and a decent Daredevil, even if he really doesn't look anything like comic Matt.

Actually I like a lot of actors in this.

Colleen <3

Danny Rand is like a fucking cartoon character. When he showed up at midland credit and said "I'm Danny rand and you killed my parents" i groaned. I know the hand is made up of warriors but even your board/executives? are warriors too?

emalord

I'm in the middle of Ep.6 and truly enjoying it so far
This show has the same vibe of DD S1: evil characters speaking very calm and using the right words. I loved Kingpin and his assistant so much in DD, they were the high point of the show and I'm happy to see Weaver playing in the same way

DeathyBoy

Banned
I'm in the middle of Ep.6 and truly enjoying it so far
This show has the same vibe of DD S1: evil characters speaking very calm and using the right words. I loved Kingpin and his assistant so much in DD, they were the high point of the show and I'm happy to see Weaver playing in the same way

Up to episode five. Weaver is really good, the banter is great, and mostly I'm just enjoying catching up with Jessica Jones again.

brawly

Does Danny always say "I am the Immortal Iron Fist" in the comics like he does in these shows? I groan every time he does.

No. You buy it in the comics, because he wears the costume and is buff af. Here you got a guy who you'd think works in IT somewhere.

whipihguh

Banned
So wait. Spoiler question.
So is Stone dead? Stick's the last one left. Wow. What a waste.

I think so, unfortunately.
There could be a possibility that he could return by escaping/faking his death or whatever. But considering what a non-factor he was in Daredevil (basically a glorified cameo in the first season, and nonexistent in the second) it's probably best to assume they got rid of him for good.

Oddduck

In some odd way, I actually like how they doubled down on him being a naive, bumbling fool. He is likeable to me in a weird way.

Yeah. I don't think The Defenders is a great show, but I've actually warmed up to Danny Rand.

He's a goofy character, but I find him to be amusing.

Epcott

I've waited so long for this...
But any time Danny opens his mouth to say anything, my eyes can't stop from rolling into a whirlpool. There was a scene earlier where Colleen explains what Iron Fist is and Danny interrupts her only to say the exact same thing &#128580; I don't know who wrote that dialogue, but they deserve a kick in the ass.

And up to episode 5, the threats just don't feel threatening enough.
at the restaurant, the team is attacked by smug Alexandria and her imposing threat... who turns out to be just Electra, who we saw punched into a wall by Danny 2 episodes prior. Whew, dangerous stakes!
After that episode, I found myself so bored, I involuntarily clicked onto Atypical and never went back.

I guess I'll try again next week when I'm in the mood. Something feels missing or off. Maybe it the lack of the rest of the MCU, or a bigger foe? Can't seem to place a finger on it.

Just finished Iron Fist and it really isn't anywhere near as bad as I've heard. I would say it's just as good as Luke Cage and much better than the second half of Jessica Jones. It had some really cool moments and the guy who plays Harold is great as well as being a pretty good swerve villian. There were some bad moments in the filming, editing and acting I admit and Danny isn't anywhere as good as the rest of the leads but I still think he's decent. I imagine he's overshadowed as fuck in the Defenders though.

Overall, I'm glad I watched it and didn't just read a summary. If this is the worse Marvel's Netflix shows have than I'm really looking forward to starting the Defenders soon.

In some odd way, I actually like how they doubled down on him being a naive, bumbling fool. He is likeable to me in a weird way.

"They took everything away from me!"

"They killed my parents!"

I just can't take him seriously when he takes himself too seriously LOL

This show highlights why exactly that's not the case. Finn Jones was bad in his own show, and when directly contrasted against the other characters on this show in any scene he's in, no amount of good writing would change his acting that much.

This show proves that it's an intentional character choice. He has no "good" writing for any of his lines - he's treated almost the same IF Season 1. Not that Cage has much good writing in this show either but for some reason y'all think his acting is fine too, but Fist is still written as a giant baby in this.

DeathyBoy

Banned
No. You buy it in the comics, because he wears the costume and is buff af. Here you got a guy who you'd think works in IT somewhere.

I kinda like it because he says it and everyone reacts how they actually would - that the guy is batshit insane. Then he proves it. Set up and pay off.

number11

As someone who hated Iron Fist the series.. I actually liked him in this. A lot of his lines are goofy, but I thought that was intentional.

Does Danny always say "I am the Immortal Iron Fist" in the comics like he does in these shows? I groan every time he does.

Immortal_Iron_Fist__002_006.jpg

Danny is a dork. They need to make him dorkier and less brooding.

I'm only on episode 2 so far but I'm loving the use of colour. Yellow for Luke, Blow for Jessica, Red for Daredevil and Green for Iron Fist.

Very well implemented.

scarlet

I thought this was gonna be terrible, but it's actually alright. I like this better than JJ.

Episode 3 was great, but it's a downer after that. Last 2 episodes were really disappointing, especially the fight scene, it's really bad.

IF is still terrible here, but he's better than in his own show.

Just finished my binge, here are my thoughts:

• The show seemed rushed. Colleen Wing doesn't seem to have the presence she had in Iron Fist - a waste of her characterization.
  • Danny Rand is just Danny Rand. I expected him to be the best fighter of the show but
    DD is just kicking his ass so easily
    that it's just embarrassing.
  • The chaste was one big fucking lame buildup.
    They're now dead? Offscreen?
  • Sigourney Weaver felt like she needed a paycheck. I see no passion in her acting here.
  • I thought it was the writing, but no, Danny Rand is even worse and more insufferable than he was in his own show. How they managed to achieve this I will never know,
  • Danny Rand is the worstest, uslessest, dumbest, character - yes character, in this show.
  • Jessica Jones' power just flunctuates from human to super girl at times it's so jarring. Same goes
    for Elektra
  • Come on guys,
    did you really think DD is going to kick the bucket?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I can't fucking see shit with all of these fight scenes in the dark.

All the fights I've seen so far have been garbage. Not as bad as Iron Fist, but dark and poorly edited. I can't see anything and can barely differentiate the characters when they are fighting in the light.

The editing in general is pretty bad. Scenes cut abruptly, and the impact of some of the jokes/moments is deflated by there not being any type of pause in between. I mean, it's better than them not cutting anything down like with the other shows...but it makes the show seem cheaper than it already is. And then they went all in on those character transitions in the early episodes but have to drop it later, so it starts feeling inconsistent. I think the color tinting was enough of a clue.

LordRaptor

Danny Rand is like a fucking cartoon character. When he showed up at midland credit and said "I'm Danny rand and you killed my parents" i groaned. I know the hand is made up of warriors but even your board/executives? are warriors too?

You get that they're not an actual company right?
There is no 'legitimate business' that they have an HR department headhunting for top flight executives for, they're a gang of ninjas and their boardroom is just where gang lieutenants report in on their shit.

IHaveIce

Banned
The show is not good.

Also the acting is subpar, Misty is an annoying overacted character.
Same for Claire she got annoying already in Luke Cage for me and she gets dragged into the spotlight for doing nothing and just holding moral speeches.

Elektra was cringeworthy most of the time.
Sigourney Weaver seems wasted on the role.

The Hand sadly was not made the great enemy they could have been after DD S2

The dialogues for this show are also bad and Danny Rand is exceptionally dumb.

Tbh I hope Punisher is a completely different style of show.

Ladekabel

This ties into the MCU, right? So why do four street thugs fight an cabal of severeal hundred of years that threaten to destroy New York instead of the Avengers?

Series is good so far (episode 6) though. At least enjoyable. Also going for 8 episodes was the right decision. I hope they didn't cut the number of episodes just because of cost but also because they found out the other series were too long and fell off at some point.

ShadyK54

This ties into the MCU, right? So why do four street thugs fight an cabal of severeal hundred of years that threaten to destroy New York instead of the Avengers?

Series is good so far (episode 6) though. At least enjoyable. Also going for 8 episodes was the right decision. I hope they didn't cut the number of episodes just because of cost but also because they found out the other series were too long and fell off at some point.

They don't have their ears to the street.

Basically.

I mean, they've also had to deal with alien invasions, rogue robots, & even fighting themselves. Hell, half of them
are on the run/in hiding
since Civil War, aren't they? Ain't nobody got time for that.

LordRaptor

Whats actually happened that attracts even big agency involvement like FBI, let alone SHIELD or the Avengers?
- A crazy guy who had a bunch of C4 killed himself
- There was a reported earthquake

Like... thats it as far as the authorities are concerned.
Even though theres a big secret war going on between the Chaste and the Hand, all the bodies are being disposed of secretly leaving no evidence anythings going on

Iron Fuck's acting and dialogue LMAO HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Its not just Danny either

All the villians suffered from this

All the side characters had little in the way of compelling things to do or say

Half the damn cast seemed lost with what to do on camera a bunch of the time. I dunno what happened. It had its good moments and episodes 3-5 were pretty great

But even reducing the series to 8 episodes it still somehow felt like a drawn out fizzle.

Just finished it. Thankfully better than Iron Fist. I thought it was good, not great. Jessica was the best part of the whole thing IMO.

I really think a new Iron Fist is needed.

Ladekabel

They don't have their ears to the street.

Basically.

I mean, they've also had to deal with alien invasions, rogue robots, & even fighting themselves. Hell, half of them
are on the run/in hiding
since Civil War, aren't they? Ain't nobody got time for that.

How come Tony knew about Spider-Man but doesn't know about a super-strong, an invulnerable man, a masked ninja, a rich dude with a glowing fist and a fake earthquake right in front of his fucking doorstep? Heck, why hasn't nobody said "There is a giant ancient organization who wants to destroy New York. We should call the Avengers."? Or are they busy attacking some hideout in the middle of nowhere and casually ignoring other threats to the world?

Just finished my binge, here are my thoughts:

• The show seemed rushed. Colleen Wing doesn't seem to have the presence she had in Iron Fist - a waste of her characterization.
  • Danny Rand is just Danny Rand. I expected him to be the best fighter of the show but
    DD is just kicking his ass so easily
    that it's just embarrassing.
  • The chaste was one big fucking lame buildup.
    They're now dead? Offscreen?
  • Sigourney Weaver felt like she needed a paycheck. I see no passion in her acting here.
  • I thought it was the writing, but no, Danny Rand is even worse and more insufferable than he was in his own show. How they managed to achieve this I will never know,
  • Danny Rand is the worstest, uslessest, dumbest, character - yes character, in this show.
  • Jessica Jones' power just flunctuates from human to super girl at times it's so jarring. Same goes
    for Elektra
  • Come on guys,
    did you really think DD is going to kick the bucket?

Agree 100%

Its a bummer because I was having a decent time with it all the way up till episode 4-5

After that they dropped off and never recovered. I kept waiting for payoffs and course corrections that never came

I guess no one on the creative team was able to undo the trajectory that these guys were one

Such wasted potential of all these great actors. I loved DD, JJ and Luke in their solo outing but I guess Danny Rand is the bad apple spoiling the bunch

Top Bottom