• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maryland Man Arrested After Posting Social Media Threat to Kill White People

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldcommando

Banned
Did a search on "maryland man", found nothing:

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Man-Threatens-to-Purge-in-Md-Town-on-Twitter-324074091.html

A Charles County man was arrested Wednesday after he threatened in a social media post to kill white residents of La Plata, Maryland, police say.
Carlos Anthony Hollins, 20, posted a violent message on Twitter Wednesday afternoon, according to the La Plata Police Department.

“IM NOT GONNA STAND FOR THIS NO. MORE. TONIGHT WE PURGE! KILL ALL THE WHITE PPL IN THE TOWN OF LA PLATA," police say a message posted to his account at 4:45 p.m. Wednesday said.
The tweet shared by police concluded with #BlackLivesMatter.

La Plata Police Chief Carl Schinner said panicked La Plata residents contacted police immediately.
"We took it very serious. In today's society where we're seeing mass shootings at schools and at malls and in churches, we have to take it serious," he said.

Hollins, of Waldorf, was arrested about 8:50 p.m. and charged with making a threat of mass destruction, which is a misdemeanor in Maryland. He is being held at Charles County Detention Center on $250,000 bond.

There is more at the link but what do you guys think? Overreaction or justified? And a 250k bond for a misdemeanor is something common?

With how easy it is to get guns in America...and how we have a mass shooting just about every day...

...I'd rather they take no chances to be honest.

Moppeh

Banned
I'm fine with a bond of that size. Threats of mass killing isn't something to scoff at. A bond like that makes sure he stays put, whether he meant to do any harm or not.

hope he gets jailed for promoting hate crimes. Even if he doesnt do it himself, passing this kind of sentiment may trigger someone to eventually do it.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Yeahhhh this guy sounds fucked up.

Did that Texan guy end up getting arrested?

EDIT: Jesus, watching the video, whether or not he actually intended this to be some kind of (fucking terrible) joke, this shit just stains the whole BLM cause.

ICKE

Banned
It is probably not related but it is a problem when you have prominent nut jobs calling for violence and then disenfranchised individuals act irrationally.

Can't say I disagree with the arrest. But then again we have a guy in Texas saying basically the same thing and he's like a Fox News hero.

2733604-3548925544-14115.gif

One year in jail for a Tweet? Umm... what the fuck?

He made a public threat to commit mass murder. Why would the fact that it was done via tweet instead of a broadcasted TV announcement make a difference?

edit-- I also think that people who make death threats to people via tweets and other forms of social should be taken seriously and arrested.

In the four hours between the tweet and the arrest did he actually take any steps to carry out this threat? The article makes no mention of his background so arresting someone over one tweet seems excessive. If he has a series of arrests or weapons in his home then I can see the arrest otherwise it systems a bit much.

Matt

In the four hours between the tweet and the arrest did he actually take any steps to carry out this threat? The article makes no mention of his background so arresting someone over one tweet seems excessive. If he has a series of arrests or weapons in his home then I can see the arrest otherwise it systems a bit much.

He made a specific threat. If he had said "I believe, in principal, that we should kill all white people," that would be protected speech.

Kabouter

Holy shit.

Okay, I get that it's not a good thing to say, but prison time for a Tweet? Am I missing something here?
For tweeting that? Good lord, one year seems light to me. Glad they arrested him quick.

Holy shit.

Okay, I get that it's not a good thing to say, but prison time for a Tweet? Am I missing something here?

Whoops, I guess I'm not in the majority here...

I don't know if I agree with the charge. The guy could be suffering from some issues we don't know about.

That said, I think it's important that the police take threats seriously.

Now if only we could do that with people threatening women in the game industry.

Unless there was some evidence that he was actually planning to do something then that sentence seems insanely harsh.
I agree that making those kind of threats should be illegal but the punishment should fit the crime. That doesn't seem to be the case here.
Anyone could get drunk/emotional and go on a rant on social media. But there is a big difference between doing that and actually planning to commit mass murder...

Yeah saying "all white people should die of cancer" is protected speech, saying "I am going to kill all white people in my town" is a threat and should not be in any way legal.

Unless there was some evidence that he was actually planning to do something then that sentence seems insanely harsh.

But he did do something. Threatening people has consequences. If I call you at night saying I am going to murder you, I have commited a crime. It is irrelevant whether or not I was going to actually do it. (well obviously if there's evidence that I had plans to carry it out, it's a much graver offense)

EDIT: Jesus, watching the video, whether or not he actually intended this to be some kind of (fucking terrible) joke, this shit just stains the whole BLM cause.

BLM got nothing to lose.

The_Poet

Banned
It seems way too arbitrary. He says in the article it "wasn't even that serious", okay, I mean obviously most people will say "Yeah, of course he would say that now after he's been arrested.", but who is allowed to make the claim if it is indeed serious or not? Is every claim serious?

I have seen many posts on Twitter, that may not have utilized all caps in their statements, but have essentially stated a similar call for death of a certain group of people. Should all those people be arrested as well? I don't know. I have certainly seen the inverse of this situation before, especially during the #BLM protest movements. Another recent example that was made into a thread on here is the hatred for short people in dating. Some Tweets posted stated "kill the short people", "they should kill themselves", etc. I mean, most people would say that those Tweets are harmless, and I would definitely agree, but who gets to make that call? Is it based purely on the reaction? Is it because people alerted the authorities immediately and allegedly stayed inside their homes out of some deep sense of terror? Or is there something more going on here?

I don't know...

Wow there really is a defence force for everything.

The_Poet

Banned
I feel like no matter what I say at this point, I'm going to be seen as someone defending this, and I don't want that, so I'm done.

Your post is literally trying to find a way to defend somebody threatening to commit a mass murder.

Now, I dont know about you, but I'm glad the police step in and arrest people who do this, even if he had no intention of ever doing it. The police have to react like he IS intending to do it. How would you feel if the police didn't step in and he went ahead and shot a load of white people after proclaiming it online?

Arresting him acts as a deterrent to stop more stupid people doing this shit.

tkscz

I feel like the people that don't care about the movement have already made up their minds and the people who do care about the movement have already made up their minds.

That's just my opinion though.

I feel like no matter what I say at this point, I'm going to be seen as someone defending this, and I don't want that, so I'm done.

I get where you're coming from, especially considering "KILL WHITE MEN" is screamed at over twitter/tumblr. But something like this, where a specific place was named and came out more like a serious threat, feels like yelling fire in a theater.

Infinite

Your post is literally trying to find a way to defend somebody threatening to commit a mass murder.

Now, I dont know about you, but I'm glad the police step in and arrest people who do this, even if he had no intention of ever doing it. The police have to react like he IS intending to do it. How would you feel if the police didn't step in and he went ahead and shot a load of white people after proclaiming it online?

Arresting him acts as a deterrent to stop more stupid people doing this shit.
Dude read the fricken posts he made holy shit.

The_Poet

Banned
Dude read the fricken posts he made holy shit.

I wholeheartedly invite you to do the same

It seems way too arbitrary. He says in the article it "wasn't even that serious", okay, I mean obviously most people will say "Yeah, of course he would say that now after he's been arrested.", but who is allowed to make the claim if it is indeed serious or not? Is every claim serious?

Using my highly advanced deductive reasoning skills it seems that he is questioning the seriousness of a tweet threatening to commit mass murder, and wondering who has the right to judge the severity of a tweet. Which I then answer in my post.

I have seen many posts on Twitter, that may not have utilized all caps in their statements, but have essentially stated a similar call for death of a certain group of people. Should all those people be arrested as well? I don't know. I have certainly seen the inverse of this situation before, especially during the #BLM protest movements. Another recent example that was made into a thread on here is the hatred for short people in dating. Some Tweets posted stated "kill the short people", "they should kill themselves", etc. I mean, most people would say that those Tweets are harmless, and I would definitely agree, but who gets to make that call? Is it based purely on the reaction? Is it because people alerted the authorities immediately and allegedly stayed inside their homes out of some deep sense of terror? Or is there something more going on here?

I don't know...

I guess I am that guy that would call the police on that teen that is "joking around" (making death threats) the social media. Just like how people use social media as a tool to harass each other (there are plenty of threads about these situations here on GAF), we need to take these things more seriously.

I think the line for me is when someone goes from vague "demographic X should die" to specifics like "I will kill every <insert demographic here> TODAY, AT <insert place>". Or when someone targets a specific person, "I hope <celebrity> gets cancer and dies" - I frown upon this but I guess that is legal, "I will kill <celebrity>" - arrest this person immediately.

Gnub

What happened to the Texas guy who wanted to "stop" the BLM protests?

I do think the arrest of someone who threatens to kill is justified but how transparent does the text need to be?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
One year in a mental institution? Yea

One year prison? Stupid ._.

He probably needs a therapist and rehabilitation

Kacho

I saw that Tweet the other night and thought it was a joke account because it used the BLM hashtag. Glad they were able to arrest this idiot.

marrec

Banned
Overt and direct threats like that have no place in our current political and racial unrest. Dude needs to take a breather and maybe some medication, glad they got to him before he did anything stupid.

DarkKyo

The problem with BLM is that there are varying degrees of craziness within its ranks(or maybe just within its members/culture since there doesn't seem to be ranks really) and the rest of them don't do enough to separate themselves from the crazies, or speak out against their violent cop or white people killing fantasies/philosophies. So what you get in the end is an amalgamation of people who want a peaceful society where all are treated equally and those who just want caucasian killing anarchy with barely any distinction between the two. It's just hard to take the movement seriously when there's barely any literature or philosophy they can agree upon besides general outrage(which is definitely warranted, it just doesn't translate to potential societal changes that well).

marrec

Banned
The problem with BLM is that there are varying degrees of craziness within its ranks(or maybe just within its members/culture since there doesn't seem to be ranks really) and the rest of them don't do enough to separate themselves from the crazies, or speak out against their violent cop or white people killing fantasies/philosophies. So what you get in the end is an amalgamation of people who want a peaceful society where all are treated equally and those who just want caucasian killing anarchy with barely any distinction between the two. It's just hard to take the movement seriously when there's barely any literature or philosophy they can agree upon besides general outrage(which is definitely warranted, it just doesn't translate to potential societal changes that well).

There is no problem with BLM. There was a problem with this one dude and he's been arrested.

Also... I see your edit. :lol

DarkKyo

There is no problem with BLM. There was a problem with this one dude and he's been arrested.

Also... I see your edit. :lol

But I suppose it's okay to blame all cops when one of them kills out of racial hatred? At least that seems to be the trend. I'm not defending cops and I find most of them to be scary, twisted people. I'm just saying that, as a movement, if you don't have an agenda or a unified philosophy that everyone can understand it's near impossible to hold the reigns while others claim they are doing evil things in the name of *insert-movement-here*. It cheapens the movement to anyone being able to use it to express how pissed off they are.

It's like when occupy wall street had people who wanted general reform(which is needed) and others who wanted full on class warfare.

La Plata is a small town.

Population (2010)[2]
• Total 8,753
• Estimate (2012[3]) 8,959
• Density 1,182.8/sq mi (456.7/km2)

....no....the one year would be the threat to commit mass murder.....

I am having a hard time believing you don't understand this.

He's being intellectually dishonest or didn't read the article.

"We took it very serious. In today's society where we're seeing mass shootings at schools and at malls and in churches, we have to take it serious," he said.

Schinner sent more officers on patrol Wednesday evening, but traffic was noticeably light on streets and at local shopping centers, Schinner said.

"People were staying home -- they were scared," he said.

Police say Hollins published video online of himself standing behind the Charles County Sheriff's Office in Waldorf.

I can understand why the cops in a small town wouldn't take the chance of someone even joking about committing a mass shooting with the Virginia incident fresh in people's minds.

He's only charged with a misdemeanor and will most likely get off with a slap on the wrist.

Slayven

But I suppose it's okay to blame all cops when one of them kills out of racial hatred? At least that seems to be the trend. I'm not defending cops and I find most of them to be scary, twisted people. I'm just saying that, as a movement, if you don't have an agenda or a unified philosophy that everyone can understand it's near impossible to hold the reigns while others claim they are doing evil things in the name of *insert-movement-here*. It cheapens the movement to anyone being able to use it to express how pissed off they are.

It's like when occupy wall street had people who wanted general reform(which is needed) and others who wanted full on class warfare.
Just admit you haven't even done a quick google of BLM or campaignzero. It is ok

I have no doubt had this been a white man he'd be walking free and would have never been arrested and if he had his bond would have been a few thousand dollars. Hell actual murderers have had lower bonds than than the guy in this story.

While what he said is wrong and I certainly don't condone people spouting off about killing people, I just feel it is just another example of the justice system coming down harder on blacks than whites. I wouldn't be surprised if they toss him in prison for the full year either since it is a fact blacks get harsher sentences than whites.

marrec

Banned
But I suppose it's okay to blame all cops when one of them kills out of racial hatred? At least that seems to be the trend. I'm not defending cops and I find most of them to be scary, twisted people. I'm just saying that if you don't have an agenda or a unified philosophy that everyone can understand it's near impossible to hold the reigns while others claim they are doing evil things in the name of *insert-movement-here*. It cheapens the movement to anyone being able to use it to express how pissed off they are.

It's not comparable. I understand what you're saying but you are taking a very broad view that has little context to it. This is one guy who mentioned BLM and mass murder together. While some of the rhetoric of some BLM on Twitter has been angry and maybe even violent in nature, this is one of the only ones that have been this extreme, explicit, and non-metaphorical. Whereas the relationship between the police and black America has been degenerating for decades with very little visibility until a few years ago. Unarmed black kids have been getting killed by cops long before Michael Brown, and the desperation and frustration of the black community has been building since long before then as well.

Further, the vocal leadership of BLM do have a unified philosophy and agenda (http://www.joincampaignzero.org/) and it very explicitly does not include any kind of violence or hatred. Unlike, say, Gamergate (another decentralized movement on twitter) whose vocal leaders were all the literal worst humanity had to offer.

DarkKyo

Just admit you haven't even done a quick google of BLM or campaignzero. It is ok

I've seen them attacking presidential candidates who don't really deserve it, protesting at sites that have little to do with their plight or with the police, and in some cases chanting extreme sentiments of violence. I'm not saying their goals aren't noble or necessary at all. What it seems like is that some people who claim to be members of the movement haven't googled it lol
Further, the vocal leadership of BLM do have a unified philosophy and agenda (http://www.joincampaignzero.org/) and it very explicitly does not include any kind of violence or hatred. Unlike, say, Gamergate (another decentralized movement on twitter) whose vocal leaders were all the literal worst humanity had to offer.

That's good to hear! I guess I just haven't heard that whenever I hear them speak on the news(then again I suppose depending on where the news is coming from their rhetoric could be framed in many different ways). To be completely honest I haven't heard the term "campaign zero" until this moment. I'll check it out now.

Slayven

I've seen them attacking presidential candidates who don't really deserve it, protesting at sites that have little to do with their plight or with the police, and in some cases chanting extreme sentiments of violence. I'm not saying their goals aren't noble or necessary at all. What it seems like is that some people who claim to be members of the movement haven't googled it lol

I got your beef now, carry on.

Where did they attack a candidate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom