• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Masahiro Sakurai, The only Nintendo Dev that knows his fan base?

Smellycat

ViiLG.png

ZeroX03

Banned
I can't see who this middle ground is going to appeal to. I don't think casual players give a shit which stage they play on in itself; it's when you add on more and more restrictions that finally add up to what competitive play is (typically 4 stock, no items, stages with the least amount of bullshit.) Or they arbitrarily make up their own rules (all home run bats! all poke balls!) Casual players probably play whatever they want. That's what it was like with the casual people I played against.

So the casual people probably don't hate Final Destination and hardcore obviously don't only play on that (no platforms is awful for some characters), they just feel "constricted" if they are forced to play under competitive rules. To that end I think that For Fun and For Glory represent superficial understanding of either side, even though Sakurai actually probably understands both extremes (casual and hardcore) well.

Have you never played a fighting game online? Random ranked matchmaking is all middle ground. Hardcore players were never going to play For Glory, they'll play private matches with people they know or just play locally. There is a big chunk of fighting game players who think they're top tier but are basically online warriors, that's who For Glory caters to and it's a big chunk of players.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I don't play smash with people who play final destination and no items. That's not smash.

Glad there's a mode and options there for those people who play that way but I want the chaotic, you don't know what's going to happen, funny matches because that's what smash is.

Also, I think listening to your fanbase can be good and can be a horrible thing to do. He's pretty balanced.

emb

Can someone post a summary of what he's announced exactly ? Please ?

I'm at work and can't really look around on gaming news website.

-Greninja is a newcomer
-Charizard, Sheik, Zero Suit, Yoshi are back. All three of the former no longer transform.
-Online has a mode where items are off and every stage is shaped like Final Destination
-3DS version releases in summer, Wii U in winter.

-Greninja is a newcomer
-Charizard, Sheik, Zero Suit, Yoshi are back. All three of the former no longer transform.
-Online has a mode where items are off and every stage is shaped like Final Destination

Thanks a lot !

Blu(e)

-Greninja is a newcomer
Wow really? Sheik doesn't change to Zelda nor Samus can't switch to Zero suit? Must've missed that. Was it in the direct?

Red Mage

I dunno about that. I lost all interest in the new Smash when he threw a fit and dropped story mode.

Yes, I actually liked it. Wasn't perfect, but it was fun. = (

emb

Wow really? Sheik doesn't change to Zelda nor Samus can't switch to Zero suit? Must've missed that. Was it in the direct?
Yep, he highlighted how Samus stayed after using her final Smash, then teased that Zero Suit "isn't coming back. Just kidding." For Zelda and Sheik, he showed of their new down-Bs.

icy_eagle

Just throwing this idea out there:

It's possible that For Glory wasn't necessarily made to appease the "competitive" crowd. Sakurai and the development team may have compiled data from online Brawl matches(or, seeing how behind Nintendo was with online, just looked at a bunch of recorded spectator matches). If you've played Brawl's online for a decent amount of time, it was clear that Final Destination was still a popular stage with random people as well. Sakurai possibly saw this, which would explain why he opted for a Final Destination frenzy mode.

I could see that actually, anecdotal but my group of friends that plays smash (casually) play almost exclusively on FD.

I'm a little bit confused by what the OP is trying to say. Sakurai is the only Nintendo developer in touch with his fan base because he gives fans what they want?

Animal Crossing 3ds is probably the best AC game yet, and definitely addressed past AC issues and grew the franchise in new ways.

Super 3d World is almost like a culmination/greatest hits Mario 3d platformer.

Fire Emblem: Awakenings is pretty much a Fire Emblem fan's wet dream.

I could go on and on. So what is the argument that other Nintendo software developers, not hardware developers, don't know what their fan base wants?

That is absolute bollocks, lol. It's a good enough entry game for newer players but it has a variety of issues that make it less than a stellar FE game

Blu(e)

Yep, he highlighted how Samus stayed after using her final Smash, then teased that Zero Suit "isn't coming back. Just kidding." For Zelda and Sheik, he showed of their new down-Bs.
Ah. I haven't played Smash in a while so him showing their down B didn't register with me until now. Is it possible it might just be activated differently or it's pretty 100%?

Dryk

Yeah, pretty much. Sakurai is well aware of what everyone wants. He just doesn't care. :lol
That's pretty much my thought. He's proven to be a master troll of late and I'm not sure the barebones For Glory mode that's not quite there could come from him anymore.

What hasn't been true since the inception of Xbox Live?

I didn't say party games were bad. The party game aesthetic, which is what Nintendo Land has, is archaic and does not appeal to today's gamer. The point is that the game should have had a massive online presence, with it being an amusement park an all, but it settled for just having local play. Anyone who supports this kind of archaic formula is either an apologist or does not understand who today's gamers are.
All of the multiplayer minigames are built around being able to quickly yell at people next to you and/or point something out on the screen. I'm not sure it would work online.

That said, I don't understand today's gamers, at all. I haven't had friends to play online with since the shift towards online play because it requires people to:

- Own the same consoles and games
- Be online at the same time
- Be playing the same game as me

And that just never happens. I understand that other people seem to do it with ease but be damned if I can figure it out.

Videoneon

Have you never played a fighting game online? Random ranked matchmaking is all middle ground. Hardcore players were never going to play For Glory, they'll play private matches with people they know or just play locally. There is a big chunk of fighting game players who think they're top tier but are basically online warriors, that's who For Glory caters to and it's a big chunk of players.

Yeah, I used to spend a lot of time online. I've played Brawl online too. Your explanation of "middle ground" is way off. Street Fighter, Marvel, Blazblue for example don't feature online modes (and games) where the concept of multiplayer radically changes depending on the type of gamer. The difference between gaming in a competitive setting there is mostly time setting and number of rounds setting. Choosing stages, items, stock/timed are huge material differences compared to changed rulesets in the games I list above. Your explanation admits that mostly For Glory is for casuals who see themselves differently. The material difference between the two modes are a flat stage and use of items. (with For Fun have stages, an important choice, randomly decided for you!) For Glory reads like lip service to the "hardcore" and anyone else who knows about "no items fox only final destination"

I mean, compare it to something exceptionally robust like Third Strike Online (disallow characters in your lobbies) or Soul Calibur V, where stage layout materially affects gameplay. Both games give lots of control to the player.

phanphare

Banned
from another thread but for those upset with the For Glory mode this was stated right at the beginning of the Direct

"please keep in mind, though, that the games are still under development so anything in the game footage you're about to see could be changed."

for you and anyone else who wants a battlefield skin and/or a stock match toggle you should take it to Miiverse. best chance to gain some traction and get some changes made.

DigitalOp

Banned
I think something people should keep in mind is that Sakurai showed us For Glory mode and has been working on it for a while.

If he's been developing this mode for FD only with all characters than obviously he is balancing all characters to maintain a decent tier for the game.

Unless Mac's side-B's can be used to recover half decent, I don't think anyone will be too broken. There are alot of checks going on in this game, Alot of characters reflect and counter this time around.

Again, my only worry is Mac. True to his character, Sakurai has made him an extreme powerhouse but in order for that, Mac can't have any other redeeming qualities regarding his recovery skills. It's the only way to level the playing field. I wouldn't be surprised if Mac takes a little more damage than usual making him the ultimate risk/reward character.

emb

Ah. I haven't played Smash in a while so him showing their down B didn't register with me until now. Is it possible it might just be activated differently or it's pretty 100%?
Nah, after showing Samus he pointed out that 'characters that used to transform won't anymore' (paraphrased, since I can't remember the exact wording). Seems pretty 100%.

I don't play smash with people who play final destination and no items. That's not smash.

Glad there's a mode and options there for those people who play that way but I want the chaotic, you don't know what's going to happen, funny matches because that's what smash is.

lol @ deciding what Smash is or isn't

Kojima(Troll of Wisdom), Kamiya(Troll of Power) and Sakurai (Troll of Courage)
Together they form the Trollforce

#dead #done
#nomas

Piers

Sakurai: Creator behind Kirby and Meteos.
Everyone else: omg he makes that game where all my fave Nintendo characters fight each other!! ^.^

Probably why he gets so much attention (and heat) from the fan base.

I don't know if Sakurai is connected to his audience, but I think this Nintendo Direct had the best presentation ever. It had loads of information (presented in a clear and well structured way), humour, action... I hope we get more NDs like this one in the future.

Luigiv

I don't know if Sakurai is connected to his audience, but I think this Nintendo Direct had the best presentation ever. It had loads of information (presented in a clear and well structured way), humour, action... I hope we get more NDs like this one in the future.
Not to mention, if your watching the japanese/euro direct, Sakarai's voice is just super sexy. I could listen to him speak all day.

Tomohawk

That is absolute bollocks, lol. It's a good enough entry game for newer players but it has a variety of issues that make it less than a stellar FE game

Awakening was pretty good, it was worse than other fireemblems in some areas, but better in others.

ampere

The fact that Smash will have "For Glory" and "For Fun" matchmaking modes is a huge surprise from a Nintendo game and a very welcome move.

I'm not an amazing Smash player, but it can be really fun to play with no items and have a contest of skill. The mode might not be perfect, there are maps other than final destination that are fair play, but it's a great move forward.

It'd be cool if they released data on which characters have the most wins in each mode and issue balance patches accordingly if necessary.

ec0ec0

i still dont understand why some (many!!) people think that sakurai doesnt know what hes doing or that hes not "connected" with smash competitive comunity because of things like "for glory mode" or brawl. Of course he knows, even my little brother could "know" the smash competitive comunity if he wanted. The internet is there for anyone. Also, sakurai created the fucking series!! And in the case that he didnt know something, it would be because (for whatever reason related with what he wanted to develop) he didnt want to.

Those comments saying that he was trying to make "for glory mode" for the competitive comunity but that he didnt understand it... no. If he actually wanted to understand something, he would. Still, dont ask me why the "for glory mode" is like it is because... i am lost :p

After today's Smash Direct, I was left excited and hyped, but also with the feeling that Sakurai-san really had his finger on the pulse of his fan base. Not only did Sakurai address key issues/complaints that were found in Brawl directly, but he also trolled the hell out of us the entire time, as many have noted. This wasn't just trolling like what you might see from that orange haired Capcom developer. No, his trolling was based on current (and old) arguments/debates going on in the Smash community. Some might find it aggravating, but I find it refreshing that there is a Nintendo developer that is actually well in tune with the people that spend coins on their products.

Do you think other Nintendo developers can learn a thing or three from Sakurai? Maybe then we wouldn't have gotten Nintendo Land. I know Gamefreak is pretty good with this kind of stuff, too, but they are a bit in their own little evergreen world.

So is Sakurai the only Nintendo dev like this... Or am I missing something?

mMq1inA.jpg

I feel disconnected to the Wii U "Perception" here on GAF and on the rest of the Internet. I feel that most 1st party release has been superb and was just made to satisfy my needs. I feel that the negative Perception for the Wii U has been unfair.

The SSB direct was amazing, cannot wait for the game.

KoopaTheCasual

Core Smash fans, are not the ones that played the game wrong.
Oh cool, I didn't know there was a correct way to play the game.

is this a joke? sakurai has been shitting on core smash fans for YEARS...

Brawl was a giant loogie in the face of people who liked melee...

OP has short term memory or is just a fucking casual?
I know you're banned, but hopefully you'll get to read this. Just because he intentionally went against the desire of some of his more ardent fans, does not mean he doesn't know exactly who they are. He's been very open with the constant balance between hardcore and accessibility, and while he knew that Melee was super fun and the most popular among the enthusiasts, the entire raison d'etre of Smash Brothers was to create a fighting game that finally wasn't just about the hardcore for once. In this respect, he thought he failed himself by caving and making Melee.

He's now trying pretty damn hard at making a reasonable balance that can please everybody. It ultimately won't because some people are too damn obstinate, but it will probably end up making a larger amount of people happy than Brawl. I'm in a cautious "wait and see" mode, since I couldn't stand Brawl, but I have high hopes for the game.

Jackano

Sakurai is an UFO inside Nintendo's designers. That said, he's not technically a Nintendo designer. He has his freedom and unique views on games that are very precious to Nintendo, and to... us. He's like the last guy close enough to Iwata to say the video games world isn't limited to Kyoto.

He know about games that western fans still love but that Japan totally forgot about.
He listen and talk to fans in some way, but other Nintendo developers are totally in a constant black-out, so there is still a clear contrast between the two.

He cares about the competitive gaming while all the rest of Nintendo is about Super Guide.
And that's where Sakurai is very very good: Even if he cares about competitive gaming, he still manage to do it "Nintendo-like", and does not forget about the more casual, broader Nintendo audience (which I count myself into, as I don't like competitive gaming for my own gameplay time).
The for fun / for glory idea is indeed glorious. I literally said wow at this simple but great idea yesterday.

Anyway, I digress. IMO he do know about his fans, like Aonuma does a little too, but when you're a designer you have to be cautious about their request and advices. Doing all what the fans want does not result in a good game, or even in an appraised game. Balance and gameplay are keywords here.
I think because he have more freedom than any regular Nintendo designer, he just can be a little more open to the fans.

Samer

is this a joke? sakurai has been shitting on core smash fans for YEARS...

Brawl was a giant loogie in the face of people who liked melee...

OP has short term memory or is just a fucking casual?

I loved Melee but haven't ever played Brawl. Was it really bad? I mean, they had a good base to start with, right? Can someone explain to me why it gets that much hate?

KoopaTheCasual

I loved Melee but haven't ever played Brawl. Was it really bad? I mean, they had a good base to start with, right? Can someone explain to me why it gets that much hate?
The hatred is completely overblown. It is still very much so a "competent" game, and beautifully designed as well. The issue is that Sakurai intentionally took measures to make it considerably slower (like reaaally slow), floatier, less hit stuns, add random tripping simply by luck, and backwards ledge grabbing. He basically didn't want to cultivate the same competitive community that Melee had in tournaments and such.

If you enjoyed the game at a leisurely pace, and just messed around with friends, Brawl is most certainly still a great game. If you enjoyed the very technical mechanics and meta games of Melee, however, you will probably not walk away from Brawl happy.

also

Banned
I doubt with randoms. IIRC brawl had one with friends, so this should too.

Brawl didn't have voice chat but you could assign text bubbles to your taunts.
With how disappointing online seems to be, I doubt Smash 4 will have voice chat.

Sakurai is an UFO inside Nintendo's designers. That said, he's not technically a Nintendo designer. He has his freedom and unique views on games that are very precious to Nintendo, and to... us. He's like the last guy close enough to Iwata to say the video games world isn't limited to Kyoto.

He know about games that western fans still love but that Japan totally forgot about.
He listen and talk to fans in some way, but other Nintendo developers are totally in a constant black-out, so there is still a clear contrast between the two.

He cares about the competitive gaming while all the rest of Nintendo is about Super Guide.
And that's where Sakurai is very very good: Even if he cares about competitive gaming, he still manage to do it "Nintendo-like", and does not forget about the more casual, broader Nintendo audience (which I count myself into, as I don't like competitive gaming for my own gameplay time).
The for fun / for glory idea is indeed glorious. I literally said wow at this simple but great idea yesterday.

Anyway, I digress. IMO he do know about his fans, like Aonuma does a little too, but when you're a designer you have to be cautious about their request and advices. Doing all what the fans want does not result in a good game, or even in an appraised game. Balance and gameplay are keywords here.
I think because he have more freedom than any regular Nintendo designer, he just can be a little more open to the fans.
Glorious? Who exactly is the ''For Glory'' mode intended for? It doesn't appeal to casuals nor does it appeal to competitive players. It's is just wasted effort that could have gone into making more characters skins.
I seriously still can't believe that Sakurai is so out of touch with the core fanbase to think that the no items, (Fox only), Final Destination meme is real.

-tripping
-simplified mechanics
-sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooow
-didn't like most of the new stages

I don't hate the game but Melee is way more fun to play (and watch).

Samer

The hatred is completely overblown. It is still very much so a "competent" game, and beautifully designed as well. The issue is that Sakurai intentionally took measures to make it considerably slower (like reaaally slow), floatier, less hit stuns, add random tripping simply by luck, and backwards ledge grabbing. He basically didn't want to cultivate the same competitive community that Melee had in tournaments and such.

If you enjoyed the game at a leisurely pace, and just messed around with friends, Brawl is most certainly still a great game. If you enjoyed the very technical mechanics and meta games of Melee, however, you will probably not walk away from Brawl happy.

-tripping
-simplified mechanics
-sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooow
-didn't like most of the new stages

I don't hate the game but Melee is way more fun to play (and watch).

Thanks both. I played it just with friends and we weren't that good at it so I guess it's OK for me :)

I don't know how you look at the 3D Mario platformers and the latest 3DS Zelda and come to the conclusion that those devs don't get the fanbase.

ant1532

Banned

Also, I think listening to your fanbase can be good and can be a horrible thing to do. He's pretty balanced.

lol "that's not smash."

actually smash is both. people who say this shit sound so arrogant and pretentious goddamn.

Top Bottom