• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
On the masks thing, conspiracies aside, I would love to know the details of how the masks get used. A 30x increase in demand does intuitively seem quite extreme. It's unlikely they have 30x the employees, so the cause must not just be more medical staff. Assuming it's more patients, does mask usage scale like that to number of patients?

Alebrije

So I guess those people that have those doomsday bunkers have a reason to use them specially if you are elder...Its a great time to use them and be there for a month.

Last edited:
Cuomo just said his brother Chris (CNN) has it and is quarantining himself

MgRO0sJ.jpg

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I wonder which though went through Trump's head first when he heard about Chris Cuomo: "Woohooo" or "oh shit, I was ten feet from him"

womfalcs3

Banned
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't Carnival suspend cruises along with some other lines? I guess they suspended their main ships and continued to send out their other fleets. Gotta love those technicalities.

I am guessing they just suspended the ones coming out of the US and some other big countries.. seems like they should have shut everything down, but money talks.. I guess.

:(

Greg Butler, Luderer’s high school teammate at Don Bosco, told USA Today that the 30-year-old had “experienced some symptoms, went to the hospital, but was sent home because they presented as rather mild.”

France update:

+499 deaths
+7578 cases

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned

UK update 25150 (+3009) which equates to 13.5% though that still marks a marginal drop from the infection rate of the days previous (13.7, 14, 17 & 25% respectively). Of the 8240 New Tests carried out 36.5% proved positive which again is in keeping with the general trend of 1 in 3 tests being positive.

As I understand it from a colleague whose sister was just diagnosed it's basically a case of them only testing when they think you're highly likely to be infected. As she's not that old despite showing symptoms she's been advised to just maintain self-isolation and they will monitor the situation with regular checkups.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
On the masks thing, conspiracies aside, I would love to know the details of how the masks get used. A 30x increase in demand does intuitively seem quite extreme. It's unlikely they have 30x the employees, so the cause must not just be more medical staff. Assuming it's more patients, does mask usage scale like that to number of patients?

On regular days most staff, nurses and doctors don't need masks. They typically need them for certain procedures, and around a small group of patients.

Now, every single one of these people need to wear masks, and the guidelines used to be that they should be changed often. 20x-30x more masks during a highly infectious virus pandemic is normal.

The CDC is telling Healthcare professionals to reuse equipment, which is risky. They're telling them to use scarves instead of masks, which just won't work for protection. But Healthcare professionals are doing these things, and risking their safety to protect us.

If PPE was going missing in any meaningful way, local officials would be right on the task, the police would be called in, and Doctors would be speaking out.
I take this very seriously. We've already donated well over 10,000 N95 masks to NYC, and various hospitals in the area. You should hear them on the phone when I tell them. Its life or death, not just for the professionals, but for the patients who might not have enough Dr's if they keep getting sick.

cryptoadam

Banned

My small theory is with all the testing going on you are using way more masks. I assume everyone you test requires new PPE ?

But ya if people are going to hoard TP, sorry but I don't put it past human nature to hoard PPE. No hospital director wants to see his staff get sick/die or be in charge of a hospital that has a super high death rate. Its just part of us to put some aside, to have a little stockpile, to be more prepared then the other guy.

Jonsoncao

Banned

Peer-reviewed study that says the death rate of COVID19 is 0.66%.

This is the paper CNN failed to provide a link for. I checked the data source (in the "Methods" section), the Wuhan data is retrieved from

WHO. Report of the WHO-China Joint Mission on coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Feb 28, 2020. https://www.who.int/ publications-detail/report-of-the-who-china-joint-mission-oncoronavirus-disease-2019-(covid-19)

and from a statistical perspective, I highly doubt the accuracy of this report.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
People from all over Canada go on Spring break, the numbers in Ontario and the West Coast don't line up with what the rest of the world has been reporting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_Canada#Data

Every other major country has shown their numbers increase daily yet in places like Ontario we went 59, 48, 78, 85, 100, 170, 135, 151 over the course of a single week. It's only been over the past few days the numbers look real. Given with what has been said about how they aren't testing everyone (only if you are showing severe symptoms or if you are at risk) I think we're under reporting what's going on here. Maybe there is an explanation but when it doesn't line up with the rest of the world it really looks suspicious.

Whats suspicious? They've been open about not testing everyone.

tfur

The missing equipment story is real. I mentioned it previously in this thread.

From direct reports of this information, from 3 nurses, in 2 states.

About 4 weeks ago or so, they all had their equipment go missing. It was previously set aside, pass card protected, and then poof, it was gone. The 2 states are Louisiana and Texas. It was not just the regular taking that the health workers do, to have stock on their body and premises. The missing equipment thing happened.

I am starting to wonder if it is related the the way China went into Australia and bought up all the medical equipment. It would be nice if some investigative reporters went to see if they can follow what happened. What if some of the hospital companies ended up selling stock to China for profit?

Whatever the case, equipment went missing in multiple hospitals, and I have first party reports of it happening.

Good news, the hospital where my wife works... they are now doing 24 hour results tests. They were taking 7 days to get results.

Whats suspicious? They've been open about not testing everyone.

They post the amounts of tests that come back negative though, and it's a large number. How is it the number of cases fluctuate and trend downward so much yet we're still testing a lot of people who come back as negative? I don't know what's going on but I can't think of why Canada would be an anomaly for Corona

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
They post the amounts of tests that come back negative though, and it's a large number. How is it the number of cases fluctuate and trend downward so much yet we're still testing a lot of people who come back as negative? I don't know what's going on but I can't think of why Canada would be an anomaly for Corona

Not sure what you're talking about. Where the heck do you see a downward trend? The overall trend is increasing cases and in line with most countries,. Even in the numbers you posted that is obvious and moreso if you look at more up to date numbers. Ontario also has a huge backlog they're clearing, so the numbers are not going to be a perfect indication of day-day variation since tests coming back today likely reflect a mix of recent tests as well as old tests.

Last edited:

NorwayBot

Banned
Flu = 0.1 death rate
Covid19 = 0.66 death rate (imperial college) Estimates of the severity of coronavirus disease 2019

as of now

Covid19 is 6.6 more deadly then the flu.

Perspective:

So far this year, 14.5 million people have died.

40000 (there will be more) of those from Covid19.

So 0.28% of those 14,5 million have died of Covid19, the other 99.72 of other causes.

Be a normie, don't let corona get you. (If you are under 70 you are statistically safe)

Follow the guidelines...

Stay safe.

Last edited:
Not sure what you're talking about. Where the heck do you see a downward trend? The overall trend is increasing cases and in line with most countries,. Even in the numbers you posted that is obvious and moreso if you look at more up to date numbers. Ontario also has a huge backlog they're clearing, so the numbers are not going to be a perfect indication of day-day variation since tests coming back today likely reflect a mix of recent tests as well as old tests.

Maybe trend wasn't the right word but I'm referring to the cases pretty much everywhere that is not Quebec. The cases are just rising and falling completely at random. Quebec's numbers seem to make a lot more sense than BC/Alberta/Ontario. You are probably right about backlogged cases though, that might be a good explanation.

Sejan

Fun with graphs!
All numerical data is taken or derived from wikipedia

eGhUJMd.png

g4um4Aj.png

FPUlNWF.png

T5rYS10.png

The first graph is the data that we are all seeing. It is just raw numbers and the data looks and is very bad. However, the following three graphs offer a glimmer of hope. The second graph is a logarithmic representation of the same data. In this graph, a straight line means pure exponential growth. Up until about 5-6 days ago, the data rarely deviated from that straight line, but over the past week we have a clear and measurable slowing to growth overall. That is very good news. Social distancing appears to be working!

Graphs 3 and 4 show the same basic information but zooming in on the specific daily growth rate. In both cases, there is a clear trend downwards. Graph 4 has a 5 day rolling average that shows daily growth dropping to as low as half in the past month.

Let me be clear. These are numbers of confirmed cases and there is certainly still room for more and better testing, but the data over the past month suggests that we are making reasonably decent progress in slowing this virus down.

I'm not going to update the graphs online, but yesterday's numbers kept up the tend of the growth slowing in the US. the average increase over the past 5 days is now dipping just below 20%. Yesterday's growth percentage was 15% if you are curious.. This is very good news.

Keep in mind that testing tends to take place 7-14 days after the initial infection. This means that these numbers represent social changes over the past 2 weeks. The additional restrictions over that time frame won't show up in the data for another week or two.

Last edited:

Banned
I am guessing they just suspended the ones coming out of the US and some other big countries.. seems like they should have shut everything down, but money talks.. I guess.

A local reporter in that twitter thread mentioned the ships had taken off on the cusp of suspending operations.
I am going to assume they’re trying to port as a couple others did recently in Port Everglades

xrnzaaas

Poland is really cracking down.

Nobody under the age of 18 allowed out without an adult.

NWO is treating people like sheep.
The government in Poland is simply coming up with as many restrictions as they can think of to hide that realistically not a lot is being done to contain the epidemic. The daily number of tests is laughable (around 4000), many people with symptoms are being rejected to be tested, hospitals are lacking equipment and doctors are being told to shup the f--- up about working without proper safety equipment and while possibly already being infected. It's going to be a complete shitshow here in the upcoming weeks and months.

But there's more - state of emergency is not being declared, because the leading party wants to go through with the upcoming presidential elections. This means that all current restrictions are unlawful and they can be battled in court if someone was fined for breaking the law.

Oh wait, but there's more - the Polish government is working directly against public safety by telling people not to wear masks. It's being done because there's not enough of them even for the medical staff.

Kenpachii

Seems like netherlands is slowing down with new cases.

Now southern countries are begging us for money and then get angry and blame us for not giving them free money. That's EU spirit for you.

1fef968d92c3ebf96b5ebfb33f4bf45b.png

Let the blackmail start, because a no to europe will not be tolerated by our communists for sure. Can't wait for these donkeys to empower the right wing movements that will destroy europe the second they get into power. Good times.

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: RSB

gamerMan

Tucker is right. The Government was lying to us about masks because of the mask shortage.

No.

You have been posting the numbers endlessly (BY EASTER 2000 DEAD A DAY)...and now you're saying THESE AREN'T NUMBERS THESE ARE SISTERS, BROTHERS...
It's a model. Saying over 2000 people are going to die on Easter is a modeling what is going to happen based on the current data. These are not people. They haven't died. It's a predictive number that is used to make the right decision now so it doesn't happen. The 573 people that died yesterday are not a number. They are actual people. They are and brothers, moms, and grandparents. Some of us want to be treated like adults. Some don't.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
W
Flu = 0.1 death rate
Covid19 = 0.66 death rate (imperial college) Estimates of the severity of coronavirus disease 2019

as of now

Covid19 is 6.6 more deadly then the flu.

Perspective:

So far this year, 14.5 million people have died.

40000 (there will be more) of those from Covid19.

So 0.28% of those 14,5 million have died of Covid19, the other 99.72 of other causes.

Be a normie, don't let corona get you. (If you are under 70 you are statistically safe)

Follow the guidelines...

Stay safe.
What a bullshit haha what a joke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom