• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryptoadam

Banned

Scientists with the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine have announced a potential vaccine against COVID-19.

Scientists say they’ve tested the vaccine in mice, and it produced antibodies specific to SARS-CoV-2 at quantities they believe could be enough to neutralize the coronavirus.

The paper, which appeared in EBioMedicine, is the first study to be published after critique from scientists at outside institutions that identifies a possible vaccine for COVID-19, health officials said.

“We had previous experience on SARS-CoV in 2003 and MERS-CoV in 2014. These two viruses, which are closely related to SARS-CoV-2, teach us that a particular protein, called a spike protein, is important for inducing immunity against the virus. We knew exactly where to fight this new virus,” said co-senior author Andrea Gambotto, M.D., associate professor of surgery at the Pitt School of Medicine. “That’s why it’s important to fund vaccine research. You never know where the next pandemic will come from.”

“Our ability to rapidly develop this vaccine was a result of scientists with expertise in diverse areas of research working together with a common goal,” said co-senior author Louis Falo, M.D., Ph.D., professor and chair of dermatology at Pitt’s School of Medicine and UPMC.

Scientists say they’re calling the vaccine PittCoVacc, which is short for Pittsburgh Coronavirus Vaccine.

The vaccine works the same as a flu shot, scientists say, using lab-made pieces of viral protein to build immunity.

When tested in mice, PittCoVacc created a surge of antibodies against SARS-CoV-2 within two weeks of receiving the treatment, scientists say.

Those have not been tracked long term yet.

Scientists say they are now in the process of applying for an investigational new drug approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and hope to starting a phase I human clinical trial in the next few months.

“Testing in patients would typically require at least a year and probably longer,” Falo said. “This particular situation is different from anything we’ve ever seen, so we don’t know how long the clinical development process will take. Recently announced revisions to the normal processes suggest we may be able to advance this faster.”

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This is disgraceful.

When you hear this kind of nonsense you can't help but start to understand why so many people were (and unfortunately still are in some places) running around ignorantly saying "it's just the flu". There's really no excuse for this crap in this day and age.

If you can read or listen this information has been available for MONTHS now.

Disgusting.

It's like the dude just time traveled from early February...

E-Cat

Wow, this model is looking really grim for NY. It basically says that hospitals will be overloaded by Apr 11th no matter what. This includes introducing even stricter measures than what is currently in place, basically a Wuhan-style lockdown. It still won't be enough!

Kacho

Age breakdown for cases in my neck of the woods. Quebec Canda. Data is about 2 days behind

Age groupTOTAL NUMBER OF confirmed CASES 31 MARCH, 6:30 P.M.Distribution among cases for whom age is known (%)
0-4 years160,8
5-9 years180,9
10-19 years874,2
20-29 years38018,2
30-39 years37417,9
40-49 years35717,1
50-59 years34216,4
60-69 years25812,3
70-79 years1406,7
80 years and over1195,7
Missing6
Total2,097
Holy shit. So many young people.

Edit: for some reason I read this as deaths lol. Whew.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Holy shit. So many young people.

Edit: for some reason I read this as deaths lol. Whew.

Ya its not dead, if it was we would be royally ass fucked.

It actually falls along places like SK and Germany and is different from ITaly where I think the break down was like 45% over 60.

Since the elderly are the most vulnerable that % needs to be as low as possible to save as many lives as possible.

Sakura

Well, with the SDF, you have the GHQ to blame for ordering Japan to form a defense and peace keeping-oriented armed forces during the occupation (although I'm not saying Japan never would have set up a self-defense force/army had it not happened otherwise).

Anyway, I certainly wouldn't want the government to just willy nilly reinterpret things on a whim to give themselves new powers. They can pass new laws if they want to, but that is hard without support of the citizens and I don't think that exists currently.
They already reinterpret the constitution. They did it in 2014.
All I'm saying is, the idea that Japan's hands are tied and there is nothing they can do to restrict movement other than asking, is wrong. If they really wanted to do it, they could come up with a way. They just don't have the desire to actually do anything yet. They are still refusing to call a state of emergency for crying out loud, every day saying ぎりぎり持ちこたえている even though they ain't doing anything and the cases keep going up.
My own prefecture has risen a lot in the past few days. So what are we doing now? Asking people to refrain from going out if they can, on the weekends lol. Yeah. Because as long as you stay in-doors on the weekends, we can keep the virus under control. Never mind that everybody going to work etc on the weekdays will still be jampacking the buses and trains. And then also people will think that means it's ok to live life business as usual on the weekdays.
We will get two masks at the end of the month though, so I guess everything is alright.

Fun Fanboy

Banned
So how many days is Cali behind NY now? Seems like every day it's a week behind or so. But the days keep passing. so is it in a few days? Will it even be the same? Is Cali too spread out for it to happen like that? Did Governor Handsome shelter us all in place in time to make it not as bad out here?

sinnergy

This is disgraceful.

When you hear this kind of nonsense you can't help but start to understand why so many people were (and unfortunately still are in some places) running around ignorantly saying "it's just the flu". There's really no excuse for this crap in this day and age.

If you can read or listen this information has been available for MONTHS now.

Disgusting.
What’s internet ??? 🤡

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
All I'm saying is, the idea that Japan's hands are tied and there is nothing they can do to restrict movement other than asking, is wrong. If they really wanted to do it, they could come up with a way. They just don't have the desire to actually do anything yet. They are still refusing to call a state of emergency for crying out loud, every day saying ぎりぎり持ちこたえている even though they ain't doing anything and the cases keep going up.
My own prefecture has risen a lot in the past few days. So what are we doing now? Asking people to refrain from going out if they can, on the weekends lol. Yeah. Because as long as you stay in-doors on the weekends, we can keep the virus under control. Never mind that everybody going to work etc on the weekdays will still be jampacking the buses and trains. And then also people will think that means it's ok to live life business as usual on the weekdays.
We will get two masks at the end of the month though, so I guess everything is alright.

The constitution reinterpretation in 2014 really has nothing to do with the current situation. There's nothing in the constitution to reinterpret that would give the government emergency powers to shut down the country and confine people to their homes.

Hokkaido did declare a state of emergency from February 28th to March 19th, but let it expire since they didn't see an explosion in cases.

We'll see if the national government's strategy pays off, but for now, deaths in Japan are still lower than just about anywhere else and hospitals are not being overwhelmed yet. Yet... but we've been saying "yet" for two months now.

It's like the dude just time traveled from early February...
Even in early February we already knew about asymptomatic transmission.
The first cases in Germany in January came from an asymptomatic host and several of the infected Germans showed no symptoms but significant viral presence in the throat.

I don't know if it was known before that, but when I heard those details as a german was the first time where I realized that this virus is simply going to go right through the entire society if there aren't huge measures being taken.

cryptoadam

Banned
So how many days is Cali behind NY now? Seems like every day it's a week behind or so. But the days keep passing. so is it in a few days? Will it even be the same? Is Cali too spread out for it to happen like that? Did Governor Handsome shelter us all in place in time to make it not as bad out here?

I would say it is possible your exponential growth has peaked, but the next few days are going to be key in identifying a reversal trend. Hope everyone is staying in place and practicing social distancing.

Cybrwzrd

Banned

They are acting like how management works at most Japanese corps I have ever worked at. Change is bad (while promoting Kaizen). Stick with the known and proven. Don't take risks. Achieve consensus before acting.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
They are acting like how management works at most Japanese corps I have ever worked at. Change is bad (while promoting Kaizen). Stick with the known and proven. Don't take risks. Achieve consensus before acting.

Yeah, that's Japan for the most part...

Italy detail update for 4/1:

Total deaths listed: 11857

0-29: 3 - x1.50% (+1, but was only 2 before)
30-39: 29 - x1.16 (+4)
40-49: 104 - x1.13 (+12)
50-59: 455 - x1.11 (+46)
60-69: 1367 - x1.07 (+96)
70-79: 4009 - x1.07 (+285)
80-89: 4743 - x1.08 (+377)
90+: 1145 - x1.08 (+94)

I think this is the first day where under 60 age grew was convincingly growing at a faster % than over 60 (usually it's been about even).

Due to the low numbers for the under 60 crowd though, I'd need to see at least a few sustained days of this growth to really think perhaps younger people were now actually dying faster and more often.

Will continue to monitor.

Italy detail update for 4/2:

Total deaths listed: 12550 (+693)

0-29: 6 - x2.00 (+3, this doubled overnight, was just 1 for a long time)
30-39: 29 - x0.00 (+0)
40-49: 110 - x1.06 (+6)
50-59: 479 - x1.05 (+24)
60-69: 1448 - x1.06 (+81)
70-79: 4196 - x1.04 (+187)
80-89: 5029 - x1.06 (+286)
90+: 1251 - x1.09 (+106)

Percentage wise, the very young and very old grew the most, everyone else was increasing at the same rate. Total # wise, it's still the older people who are dying the most, but doubling the 0-29 group overnight is troubling, hopefully it was just an anomaly and not something we see happening more often.

Under 40 still seems like you'll be okay, but 40+ is getting risky.

Also, FUCK THIS VIRUS!!!

Jooxed

Gold Member
Italy detail update for 4/2:

Total deaths listed: 12550 (+693)

0-29: 6 - x2.00 (+3, this doubled overnight, was just 1 for a long time)
30-39: 29 - x0.00 (+0)
40-49: 110 - x1.06 (+6)
50-59: 479 - x1.05 (+24)
60-69: 1448 - x1.06 (+81)
70-79: 4196 - x1.04 (+187)
80-89: 5029 - x1.06 (+286)
90+: 1251 - x1.09 (+106)

Percentage wise, the very young and very old grew the most, everyone else was increasing at the same rate. Total # wise, it's still the older people who are dying the most, but doubling the 0-29 group overnight is troubling, hopefully it was just an anomaly and not something we see happening more often.

Under 40 still seems like you'll be okay, but 40+ is getting risky.

Also, FUCK THIS VIRUS!!!

This is really sad. As a 34 year old I haven't been super worried. I am not in peak condition myself so theres always a risk. However this is a lot of parents/ and grandparents lost. Terrible virus.

GHG

Gold Member
What’s internet ??? 🤡

To be honest it points to deeper problems - systematic issues in terms of how governments are run on a global scale.

The WHO knew about asymptomatic transfer back in January. Surely they would have then made the health authorities (the CDC in America) in all countries aware with a bulletin/notice of some sort at that point?

The question then becomes what gets done with that information when it comes in? Why was that information not passed on to local medical officers for individual states/cities? If it was passed on why was it not acted on appropriately or at the very least acknowledged? Why are people ignoring or dismissing important information that is being passed on to them?

Somewhere along the line this key piece of information manged to "slip through the cracks" and it's meant the decision makers are making decisions without all of the information they need to make said decisions.

It pissed me off just thinking about all of this.

Sakura

The constitution reinterpretation in 2014 really has nothing to do with the current situation. There's nothing in the constitution to reinterpret that would give the government emergency powers to shut down the country and confine people to their homes.

Hokkaido did declare a state of emergency from February 28th to March 19th, but let it expire since they didn't see an explosion in cases.

We'll see if the national government's strategy pays off, but for now, deaths in Japan are still lower than just about anywhere else and hospitals are not being overwhelmed yet. Yet... but we've been saying "yet" for two months now.
What I'm saying is, there is nothing explicitly in the constitution preventing them from doing a proper lockdown. All these articles saying they cannot, is because the current law surrounding the current situation, just says 要請, but there is no reason they can't just amend the law, like they did last month.

"Yet", is going to become "now" pretty soon. Japan is already starting to see cases explode. Hospitals and deaths will follow after, just like every other country.
For example, one week ago, Tokyo only had 259 cases, to date. Now it has 684.If it has a similar number of cases tomorrow, it will have tripled in 8 days.

OWKdqOe.png

I have little confidence the people in charge know what they're doing. They are just playing catchup, like they always do.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What I'm saying is, there is nothing explicitly in the constitution preventing them from doing a proper lockdown. All these articles saying they cannot, is because the current law surrounding the current situation, just says 要請, but there is no reason they can't just amend the law, like they did last month.

"Yet", is going to become "now" pretty soon. Japan is already starting to see cases explode. Hospitals and deaths will follow after, just like every other country.
For example, one week ago, Tokyo only had 259 cases, to date. Now it has 684.If it has a similar number of cases tomorrow, it will have tripled in 8 days.

OWKdqOe.png

I have little confidence the people in charge know what they're doing. They are just playing catchup, like they always do.

What I was saying is that there are currently no laws that exist in Japan that allow them to enforce requests. They could work to draft new ones, but that would be a drawn out process, and it's rather unlikely that the opposition would just play along. They'd call out Abe's government for trying to turn into a dictatorship and would do everything they can to tank it, I'm sure. For the most part, I don't think the Japanese people want the government to have that kind of power.

Yeah, they're playing catchup, but that's really what just about the entire world is doing. It turns out it's very hard to proactively limit people's freedoms and lockdown cities either due to political or legal reasons depending on the country.

Last edited by a moderator:

cryptoadam

Banned

There is a japanese study about this, and a video where they showed the micro droplets hanging in the air.

What needs to be determined though is if the virus is still viable after that. A virus can still be in the air/on surface but not be viable anymore i.e. it won't infect you.

But ya its a very dangerous development if you can get this virus that way.

cryptoadam

Banned

I posted this and made a thread but no one seems to really care. I guess we got past the point about being hopeful for cures and just care about deaths.

Even if this thing works though its probably a year away. But if we know we have something to beat Corona Chan then we can atleast plan to get out of this and get a normal functioning economy.

NJ update:

I posted this and made a thread but no one seems to really care. I guess we got past the point about being hopeful for cures and just care about deaths.

Even if this thing works though its probably a year away. But if we know we have something to beat Corona Chan then we can atleast plan to get out of this and get a normal functioning economy.

At this point, we need to see it works and is being manufactured. This kind of thing was cute and quaint a month and a half ago when people were like "WOW! Look how fast! This will be over before we know it!"

Now we all know this is a ways off, at best, even if everything goes perfect.. so it's not worth discussing. What are we supposed to say? "Gee I hope it works! Wow so cool!"

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Look what i scored.
Location is canadian tire at deerfoot mall calgary.
7 left in store.
Go get it now if you rush.
Price 250
b6zzowZ.png
People going crazy over sanitizer products is very confusing to me - it's not like there's another much more available, much cheaper, and much more effective (!) route...

cryptoadam

Banned
NJ update:

At this point, we need to see it works and is being manufactured. This kind of thing was cute and quaint a month and a half ago when people were like "WOW! Look how fast! This will be over before we know it!"

Now we all know this is a ways off, at best, even if everything goes perfect.. so it's not worth discussing. What are we supposed to say? "Gee I hope it works! Wow so cool!"

Kinda my point though, seems we have gotten over the good news and only really care about the bad news.

This could be a world saving discovery, even if its a year or 2 away. Even Robert Gallo dropping a bomb last night on MSNBC about a possible vaccine (not sure if this is what he was talking about) seems like not many care.

Ya sure there isn't too much we could discuss outside of debating if/when it will work etc... But I don't seems like some big pieces of good news that could change all of our lives for the better but there isn't much interest.

But ya you are right there isn't really much to talk about with vaccines and cures. Its probably the same reason the media pushes lots of negative and scare stories.

Jtibh

Banned
People going crazy over sanitizer products is very confusing to me - it's not like there's another much more available, much cheaper, and much more effective (!) route...
Aha tell that to my wife who needs this more then any of us.
I didnt by this for myself.
The whole mccaig tower is turned into a covid only building and they already dumping all overflow patients to her traume unit.

But i agree that most people if they follow the guidelines they should do just fine without it.

France update:

+471 deaths

Kinda my point though, seems we have gotten over the good news and only really care about the bad news.

This could be a world saving discovery, even if its a year or 2 away. Even Robert Gallo dropping a bomb last night on MSNBC about a possible vaccine (not sure if this is what he was talking about) seems like not many care.

Ya sure there isn't too much we could discuss outside of debating if/when it will work etc... But I don't seems like some big pieces of good news that could change all of our lives for the better but there isn't much interest.

But ya you are right there isn't really much to talk about with vaccines and cures. Its probably the same reason the media pushes lots of negative and scare stories.

I think there is benefit to it, especially in long from discussion places like here.. but as long as it's updating at a snails pace (relatively), there isn't too much conversation to be had unless you're talking to a bunch of.. uh vaccineologists (lol I don't know).

We get daily (sometimes multiple per day) updates from all over the world so it's more interesting (and likely immediately more relevant) to discuss and report that kind of thing, since it could directly impact people here.

How is the just the flu thread doing?

Last edited:

gamerMan

In the US, health experts are saying 1 in 3 patients with Covid-19 is getting a false negative result. It is possible that people are carrying the virus but their viral load is too low at the time they take the test to detect it. Their condition may worsen over time and they will continue spreading the virus.

Last edited:

Shrap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom