• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

When we start pulling back the layers of how people died, and how people reported deaths and how it wasn't universal... It'll look a lot less bad than it has.

This thread has slowed tremendously as the panic news slowed down and countries started to get a handle on it. New York is the reason that the USA looks so bad and people panicked so much.

Not saying it's not a bad virus. It is, and the long incubation period + easy spread is insane. But I think there will be a lot more clarity when looking at it in hindsight.

There are STILL people who are ignoring the context when it comes to New York. They scream at the US numbers without realizing the majority of that is from New York and their dumbass leadership.

CA has a higher population than New York but its curve is flat and their numbers are a fraction of New Yorks.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
My area is starting to do something that I’m not sure makes sense. Maybe this is a national thing too, I’m not sure. They started to only allow 2 people at a time in grocery stores. Which are obviously huge. But they have people lined up outside 6 feet apart.

This actually feels more dangerous to me than the way they were originally doing it. In the store you can navigate without going near anybody and wait until aisles are empty to go down them. But with this strategy you’re forcing people in a long line arbitrarily 6 feet apart(which isn’t an exact science).

If someone behind you coughs or sneezes it will probably reach you 6 feet away. Meanwhile you have a mere 2 people freely roaming an entire supermarket.

Maybe do 5-10 at a time, but not freaking 2. You have these massive lines outside in the parking lot, this is enabling close proximity, not deterring it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
LYyv7XF.jpg

Very interesting. I played around in the CSV, and the data only goes up through Week 11 for 2020 (ending on March 15), but pneumonia deaths per week since the beginning of the year are down on average 940 per week in 2020 vs. the average of the previous 6 years and are down on 462 deaths per week since the beginning of the year on average vs. 2019.

More interesting, though, is Week 11 in which 2020 pneumonia deaths were down 1,548 vs. 2019 and 1,601 vs. the 6 year average.

Of course, this was all before deaths with COVID-19 as the reported cause began to spike, so I'm not quite sure what to make of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

cryptoadam

Banned
Only ONE state hasn't issued stay at home orders. ONE out of fifty. It's pretty much a national lockdown now. So why are people still screaming for a federally enforced lockdown? I thought they DIDN'T want Trump to be a dictator, now they do?

u8ydwfE.png

Simple: ORANGE MAN BAD.

The media needs to always chase a narrative.

First it was ventilators. How many times did they ask Trump to gurantee every american and their pet dog has a ventilator? So Trump got ventilators.

Then it was PPE. Trump flexed his financial muscle and went out and got PPE, got the private sector involved, told 3M those are our masks.

Then it was Hydrocholorquine. Now that doctors are prescribing it they had to shut up.

So now its National lockdown. Its the new narrative they are chasing to hammer Trump with. Its just the desperation because anytime they try and nail him he answers right back.

With this fact they will need to move onto a new story to keep the ORANGE MAN BAD going. The media really needs someone else to ingest some fish tank cleaner so they can run some more ORANGE MAN BAD stories.

ManaByte

My area is starting to do something that I’m not sure makes sense. Maybe this is a national thing too, I’m not sure. They started to only allow 2 people at a time in grocery stores. Which are obviously huge. But they have people lined up outside 6 feet apart.

This actually feels more dangerous to me than the way they were originally doing it. In the store you can navigate without going near anybody and wait until aisles are empty to go down them. But with this strategy you’re forcing people in a long line arbitrarily 6 feet apart(which isn’t an exact science).

If someone behind you coughs or sneezes it will probably reach you 6 feet away. Meanwhile you have a mere 2 people freely roaming an entire supermarket.

Maybe do 5-10 at a time, but not freaking 2. You have these massive lines outside in the parking lot, this is enabling close proximity, not deterring it.

Yea Walmart is doing that too with a big brother 1984 style loudspeaker shouting instructions to people in the parking lot.

Mihos

Gold Member
Only ONE state hasn't issued stay at home orders. ONE out of fifty. It's pretty much a national lockdown now. So why are people still screaming for a federally enforced lockdown? I thought they DIDN'T want Trump to be a dictator, now they do?

u8ydwfE.png

They want o blame Trump for everything, ignoring that the federal government has no authority to issue a national lockdown. Only interstate travel and localized quarantines can be done... which they wanted to crucify him when he brought it up.

Lockdowns and movement restrictions are State functions.

cryptoadam

Banned
PRESIDENT CUOMO!

Its funny how the narrative is that Cuomo is doing a great job, while Trump is destroying America (and the world). At least Trump has plenty of area's of the country that are flat and still have low amounts of infections and deaths.

New York has been a hell hole. And the receipts are there for Cuomo and other New York officials saying to go take the subway and go to chinatown and the risk is low etc... So if Trump didn't take it seriously neither did New York.

Cuomo is lucky Trump is there because he won't take any heat for New York.

Kacho

Its funny how the narrative is that Cuomo is doing a great job, while Trump is destroying America (and the world). At least Trump has plenty of area's of the country that are flat and still have low amounts of infections and deaths.

New York has been a hell hole. And the receipts are there for Cuomo and other New York officials saying to go take the subway and go to chinatown and the risk is low etc... So if Trump didn't take it seriously neither did New York.

Cuomo is lucky Trump is there because he won't take any heat for New York.
Nailed it. Anyone with a brain can see the hypocrisy. I just ignore anyone who places all blame on Trump. Not even worth the time or effort.

Countries around the world were not prepared for this, as is evident by the current situation. What matters is what they do now and Trump has been delivering.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Cuomo is a crazy person using this as a way to vault into the national Presidential conversation.

I honestly hate him now. I hated DeBlasio before but he hasn't been an unhinged lunatic like every other politician the past few months. It's probably the best work he has done as mayor, and of course, he got raked over the coals for this.

As soon as people realize they were all imprisoned in their homes for months because of a new strain of flu, at the tail end of a relatively mild flu season, I hope there are pitchforks and bonfires. There won't be, but there should be.

ManaByte

Cuomo is a crazy person using this as a way to vault into the national Presidential conversation.

I honestly hate him now. I hated DeBlasio before but he hasn't been an unhinged lunatic like every other politician the past few months. It's probably the best work he has done as mayor, and of course, he got raked over the coals for this.

As soon as people realize they were all imprisoned in their homes for months because of a new strain of flu, at the tail end of a relatively mild flu season, I hope there are pitchforks and bonfires. There won't be, but there should be.

They won't realize that because the media will never frame it that way. The media controls this country.

Last edited:

Setzer

Tucker Carlson mentioned last night that pneumonia deaths in the US are down compared to recent years. I'm still trying to find a solid source on that since he didn't give numbers or cite any specific agency.
Doesn't seem consistent with this:

PedFlu13_small.gif

NCHS13_small.gif

D7CwOkX.png

EIPRates13_small.gif

The data in the chart I posted is accurate up to week 12 for 2020. The info was obtained from the CDC. So if it isn't consistent then CDC needs to check their #'s.

EDIT
Correction: Week 11

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
EVERYTHING IS FINE, MOVE ALONG

200408-daly-pic-cropped_j7cias

I understand but I don't like the line there with suspected coronavirus complications without lab test. I don't think its important to waste test on dead people at this point, but this is not going to give an accurate number at all. It will either over count or undercount. And with how shitty things are going I wonder how many suicides are going to end being characterized as Corona deaths but aren't.

Expect scary numbers coming up for New York in the next few days.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The data in the chart I posted is accurate up to week 12 for 2020. The info was obtained from the CDC. So if it isn't consistent then CDC needs to check their #'s.

No, the CSV source file contains data only up through Week 11 (ending on March 15th) for 2020. You can type in the URL and check for yourself.

Anyway, it looks like the reduced pneumonia death numbers may just be due to a lag in reporting that happens every year and isn't out of the ordinary at all

If this is true, then shame on Tucker for reporting that without further research.

Last edited by a moderator:

ManaByte

Newsom just alluded that he's never going to lift the lockdown saying that even though the curve is flattened we can't let it go up again.

Get ready for civil unrest in the most populous state.

Stouffers

Banned
I tried to include the surrounding conversation as to not take it out of context. But is numbers on the flu dont seem to reflect what I've read up on it (I am not trying to claim I know more than this guy, because I absolutely do not). Honestly, I dont think you and I disagree on much. The data is all over the place and there are reports out there claiming that the deaths are both under reported AND over reported. The media is definitely pushing the doom and gloom outlook for this but I still think its better to err on the side of caution at least for now until we can sort the data out.
Isn’t 2% of 250,000 5,000, not 500?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Newsom just alluded that he's never going to lift the lockdown saying that even though the curve is flattened we can't let it go up again.

Get ready for civil unrest in the most populous state.

Source?

ManaByte

His daily briefing. He was downplaying all of the numbers saying the data about minorities is wrong and that they're not seeing it because the data is incomplete and then talked about the curve flattening but saying we can't lift a lockdown and risk the curve spiking again. He's Pelosi's nephew and he'll keep CA locked down forever to make his Skeletor auntie happy.

Nymphae

Banned
This is the kind of thing that I just don't understand. I saw this in another video last night, and was reading an article today about the media coverage of the virus where they linked the video.

This is included in a segment about the severity of the situation in New York. Why would they need to create footage of doctors working on dummies? The relevant section starts at 2:09, I can't get the timestamp at work.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This is the kind of thing that I just don't understand. I saw this in another video last night, and was reading an article today about the media coverage of the virus where they linked the video.

This is included in a segment about the severity of the situation in New York. Why would they need to create footage of doctors working on dummies? The relevant section starts at 2:09, I can't get the timestamp at work.

What's the source clip and context? Is it not just showing how the procedures work? If so, why wouldn't they use a doll instead of invading someone's privacy?

Nymphae

Banned
What's the source clip and context? Is it not just showing how the procedures work?

I'll have to dig around for what the source was, it was a typical news segment from some local news channel I believe.

why wouldn't they use a doll instead of invading someone's privacy?

To more accurately reflect the reality they are trying to convey. They've had face blurring technology for decades. The clip is slowed down in the video I shared, but at full speed it's easy to see how people would miss that it's a dummy.

But the media does this kind of shit all the time, there's that other one from MSNBC I think it was, where they showed clips from an Italian ER, in a segment about the severity of the New York situation. When you watch the segment it's obvious that the intention is to make people think this is New York (otherwise why not write a disclaimer or something telling people what they are looking at?) - this was noticed by people on the internet and they were called out for it, and they apologized on Twitter stating "it was an editing error", yeah ok you just happened to grab a feed from Sky News in Italy a week prior and used that in your profile on the New York situation?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
But the media does this kind of shit all the time, there's that other one from MSNBC I think it was, where they showed clips from an Italian ER, in a segment about the severity of the New York situation. When you watch the segment it's obvious that the intention is to make people think this is New York (otherwise why not write a disclaimer or something telling people what they are looking at?) - this was noticed by people on the internet and they were called out for it, and they apologized on Twitter stating "it was an editing error", yeah ok you just happened to grab a feed from Sky News in Italy a week prior and used that in your profile on the New York situation?

It was CBS, I believe, but I don't see how these situations are comparable if the context is what I imagine it is (demonstrating how the procedure works). The CBS usage of Italian footage while talking about the New York situation was misleading. If the clip you shared is just explaining how a procedure works, then it absolutely makes sense to use a doll in a controlled setting to demonstrate rather than have a film crew getting in the way inside an actual critical situation. Crazy liability implications.

cryptoadam

Banned
Mecca and Medina closed, Passover cancelled, Corona rampant in Orthodox Jewish community, blacks dying twice to three times more than whites.

This virus actually is a KKK/Nazi's wet dream LOL.

Very interesting. I played around in the CSV, and the data only goes up through Week 11 for 2020 (ending on March 15), but pneumonia deaths per week since the beginning of the year are down on average 940 per week in 2020 vs. the average of the previous 6 years and are down on 462 deaths per week since the beginning of the year on average vs. 2019.

More interesting, though, is Week 11 in which 2020 pneumonia deaths were down 1,548 vs. 2019 and 1,601 vs. the 6 year average.

Of course, this was all before deaths with COVID-19 as the reported cause began to spike, so I'm not quite sure what to make of it.

It could be that higher awareness of pneumonia symptoms led to people with non-Wu Flu-related bacterial pneumonias got treatment earlier.

eot

Banned
Air pollution showing correlation with COVID-19 case fatality rates

We investigate whether long-term average exposure to fine particulate matter (PM2.5) increases the risk of COVID-19 deaths in the United States.

[...]

We found that an increase of only 1 μg/m3 in PM2.5 is associated with a 15% increase in the COVID-19 death rate, 95% confidence interval (CI) (5%, 25%). Results are statistically significant and robust to secondary and sensitivity analyses. Conclusions: A small increase in long-term exposure to PM2.5 leads to a large increase in COVID-19 death rate, with the magnitude of increase 20 times that observed for PM2.5 and all-cause mortality. The study results underscore the importance of continuing to enforce existing air pollution regulations to protect human health both during and after the COVID-19 crisis.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
It was CBS, I believe, but I don't see how these situations are comparable if the context is what I imagine it is (demonstrating how the procedure works).

If that is what the segment was about, it would make a little more sense, I am unable to find the original clip at the moment.

This is another one being highlighted by various internet detectives, how the fuck does this happen. You can actually see at 10 seconds that it is still red through the car window, then when it comes out from behind it, it's green.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Air pollution showing correlation with COVID-19 case fatality rates

Makes sense since the virus attacks the lungs.

But brings China's numbers even into greater question. They have one of the most polluted countries in the world.

oatmeal

Banned
Soooo what's going on with the Stimulus? My friend got his Trudeau-bucks in 48 hours. Is Mnuchin fucking this up? I don't understand the endless delays.

i bought a new commuter car for getting to the train station 2 days before the stay at home order was issued, and it has been parked on the side of the road since

so all in all, a pretty solid purchase

Nymphae

Banned
This is another one making the rounds, various "citizen reporters" attempting to film various hospitals that were earlier profiled on news reports as being overwhelmed or having massive testing lines, etc. They try to show both the news reports and then the subsequent videos taken by citizens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom