• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

pLow7

The economy is made up of a lot of people doing stuff, selling stuff, and building stuff. if nobody is building stuff, and nobody is doing stuff, and nobody is selling stuff, we have no economy. That is what we are seeing now. And we aren't talking about one month, we are one week 10 or 11 of this shit.

Asking "why is it worse than people dying" is like me asking why we still have cars when we have tens of thousands of car accident deaths every year. We don't have CNN out there saying cars should be banned and they take pictures of car dealers asking why we are choosing "cars over lives." People die, we don't stop civilization over it. Especially when the people who are dying are an almost totally distinct cohort from the people who keep the economy afloat and need to take care of their families. I would argue there is a good way to implement policies that help both (strict policies for nursing home employees, intake, etc.) without forcing everyone to stay inside and be tracked by their government.

I don't know if this is an american problem. But we never got into this situation here in germany. Sure some things had to slow down, but things are pretty much back to normal now and never really went into "no economy".

Also your anology with the cars is a faulty one. People ( yeah even old people ) can survive without driving a car. You can't survive without leaving your home and in the result getting infected.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don't know if this is an american problem. But we never got into this situation here in germany. Sure some things had to slow down, but things are pretty much back to normal now and never really went into "no economy".

Also your anology with the cars is a faulty one. People ( yeah even old people ) can survive without driving a car. You can't survive without leaving your home and in the result getting infected.

See, this is the problem - despite all evidence to the contrary, people still think getting COVID-19 is a death sentence. It's objectively not. The people who are most at risk (very elderly and sick people) aren't leaving their homes. The big problem is that idiots like Cuomo sent the virus to them.

Last edited:

pLow7

See, this is the problem - despite all evidence to the contrary, people still think getting COVID-19 is a death sentence. It's objectively not. The people who are most at risk (very elderly and sick people) aren't leaving their homes. The big problem is that idiots like Cuomo sent the virus to them.

Eh people still have to get to them, including nurses. You can't isolate the old and let the rest go business as usual. There is people living with old people, there is 60+ that still have to work.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

134 after a three day weekend is very good news here. We will surely be double digit figures by the end of the week.

Don't forget the 134 is still a dip number, ie a weekend number. Usually on a 2-day weekend the low counts are on Sunday and Monday, so in this case it'll be Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. The next 4 days will likely see an initial spike to 350-400 after 3 suppressed days, followed by 3 days under 300, maybe even as low as 250 for Saturday, before hitting the weekend where I'd not be surprised if we hit double-figures.

Nymphae

Banned
iTiQvPZ.jpg

I, I am scrubbing
And you, you must be clean
Though nothing, can drive it away
We can beat it, just do as they say
We can be heroes, just have to look gay

And you, you can’t be free
And I, I don’t really mind
'Cause we're at risk, and that is a fact
Yes there’s danger, for the old, fat, and black

Now nothing, should bring us together
We might feel fine, but carry anyway
Should we do lockdowns, forever and ever
What do you say?

Oh my, I know things look grim
Can’t get a haircut, can’t go to my gym
But nothing, nothing should bring us together
We could do lockdowns, forever and ever
We will be heroes, when they look back one day

I, I am scrubbing
And you, you must be clean
Though nothing, can drive it away
We can beat it, just do as they say
We can be heroes, just have to look gay

I, I can remember
Standing, 2 feet from you
And the barber, cutting hair off our heads
And we touched, without washing our hands
And kids felt no shame playing together outside
Oh we will beat it, we’re in this together
Then we will be heroes, inside we’ll stay

We will be heroes
We will be heroes
We will be heroes
Not just today
We will be heroes

We're trusting, that this stuff will help us
Maybe they’re lying, is it all here to stay
But we will be safer, so everything’s ok
Oh-oh-oh-ohh, oh-oh-oh-ohh, this virus is gay

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Gretchen Whitmer said in her press conference today that her husband asking to take out their boat for the holiday weekend was just him joking around with the guy on the phone and the joke fell flat.

These people are frauds.

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

Life getting back to normal under Emperor Newsom.

He also said Disneyland is part of Phase 3, which is in June.

Confused Disney land is in calfonia I always thought it was floridia. So did I go Disney land or something elea?

prag16

Banned
Asymptomatic transmission is 100% true. My relative know someone from old folks home that die from covid 19 transmiited by the daughter who came to visit from New York last month ago. The daughter show zero symptom.

This assumes the daughter was truly asymptomatic. If she was popping tylenol to suppress a fever, if I were her I possibly wouldn't admit it either. It's also an anecdote that even if true still does not demonstrate how rampant asymptomatic spread actually is. If asymptomatic spread was as devastating as they say, I'd have expected more cases. A lot more. Hell, assumed enormous asymptomatic spread is likely what fueled all those (since disproven) parabolic initial curves that were being predicted two months ago.

Estellex

As an Asian, I am very self-concious when I go out in public. I am afraid of the racism that is happening right now. I mean I am already seeing a lot on this site as it is.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Really great thread about the politicization of "believe science" that covers a lot of the things I've been thinking about recently. Some quotes that particularly resonated with me:

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
This assumes the daughter was truly asymptomatic. If she was popping tylenol to suppress a fever, if I were her I possibly wouldn't admit it either. It's also an anecdote that even if true still does not demonstrate how rampant asymptomatic spread actually is. If asymptomatic spread was as devastating as they say, I'd have expected more cases. A lot more. Hell, assumed enormous asymptomatic spread is likely what fueled all those (since disproven) parabolic initial curves that were being predicted two months ago.

The problem with your response is that it effectively nullifies any possible evidence anyone may being “yeah but what if they’re lying”. If you aside from the start that any actors going against your view are dishonest then there’s simply no parameters that allow you to be disproven, which may be quite satisfying but doesn’t make for intellectually honest debate.

Edit: autocorrect

Last edited by a moderator:

ManaByte

Garcetti noted that many mom-and-pop retail stores have been at a disadvantage, remaining closed while big-box stores like Target and Costco that offer food and other essentials have remained open during the stay-at-home orders.

"Now it's time to even that playing field and to do it safely," Garcetti said.

So after small retailers went out of business forever and big box ones thrived, Mayor Yoga Pants wants to even the playing field. He's a pathetic failure just like his father (his daddy was the LA DA responsible for not getting a conviction for OJ Simpson).

prag16

Banned
The problem with your response is that it effectively nullifies any possible evidence anyone may being “yeah but what if they’re looting”. If you aside from the start that any actors going against your view are dishonest then there’s simply no parameters that allow you to be disproven, which may be quite satisfying but doesn’t make for intellectually honest debate.
If you have better, definitive, evidence of rampant asymptomatic spread I'm all ears. I'm not sure how pointing out an obvious reason to doubt some of the accounts being relied on to make public policy for the entire damn planet is intellectually dishonest just because it's hard to prove otherwise. Get better evidence then. Maybe it's out there and I haven't seen it. I have already explained why I think the extent of symptomatic spread may be overblown, but I'm willing to be proven wrong.

ManaByte

They are not accurate enough to use to make important policy decisions, the CDC said.

"Serologic test results should not be used to make decisions about grouping persons residing in or being admitted to congregate settings, such as schools, dormitories, or correctional facilities," the CDC says.

"Serologic test results should not be used to make decisions about returning persons to the workplace."

Chile's hospitals under strain as coronavirus cases near 70,000, president says

SANTIAGO — Chile’s healthcare system is under strain and “very close to the limit,” President,” President Sebastian Pinera said on Sunday, as the number of confirmed novel coronavirus infections approaches 70,000 after a rapid increase in recent days.

The Ministry of Health reported 3,709 new cases in the last day, bringing the total to 69,102. The death toll is at 718.

“We are very close to the limit because we have had a very large increase in the needs and demands for medical care, and for intensive care unit beds and ventilators,” Pinera said during a visit to a hospital in Santiago, which has the highest concentration of cases.

More than 1,000 people have been hospitalized for disease associated with the coronavirus, according to the government.

A third of Chile’s population of about 19 million is under mandatory quarantine after the government put Santiago and several other cities under lockdown.

Health officials said 95% of the country's 2,400 ICU beds are occupied even after a doubling of capacity from the levels in March. They announced plans to add 400 more critical care beds in the coming days.

A nation of 18 million people, Chile has the third most coronavirus cases in the region, after Brazil and Peru, with an average of 4,000 new infections reported daily. About 15% of the cases require hospitalization.

Khaty Barriga, mayor of the populous commune of Maipú, said there was only one respirator free for use Tuesday at the El Carmen de Maipú hospital.

His area is part of the Santiago metropolitan region, which has had more than 80% of the nearly 78,000 coronavirus cases and just over 800 deaths recorded in Chile.

Dr. Claudia Vega, head of the hospital's ICU, had said Monday in a television interview that “right now I am choosing which bed is going to be vacated and choose the right person, which is the right one.”

The Chilean Society of Intensive Medicine, which consults with hundreds of hospitals and clinics daily, said the occupancy of critical care beds in the greater Santiago area stood at 97%. A report from the University of Chile said the increase in new cases “suggests a possible complete saturation of the system this week.”

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
GAF lock me up. Im here at the eye doctor. Might as well book me for murder. How dare I and others leave our houses.

I've dined out twice this month. In both cases the restaurant had precautions in place -- changes to seating arrangements and limits on self-serve areas like beverages. Not too much hassle, though.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I've dined out twice this month. In both cases the restaurant had precautions in place -- changes to seating arrangements and limits on self-serve areas like beverages. Not too much hassle, though.

No such option here but I've supported local businesses by having delicious take aways. It makes me feel like a good person. It also makes me a chunky fuck.

In other news (to avoid a triple-post) - 412 deaths in the UK today, bearing in mind that'll be the highest this week as the first working day results are in, should be a higher spike than usual as there's a whole bank holiday to consider. Last week spiked at 545 before settling at ~350 for the normal and ~125 for the weekend rates, so I'd expect us to dip under 300 for the remaining working days this week and probably dip under 100 for the weekend.

ManaByte

Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom open July 11th, EPCOT and Hollywood Studios July 15th.

Makes sense as Disney said it would take a while to recall all of the employees back to work. There are hundreds of thousands of people who work at those parks.

Last edited:

rykomatsu

Dilbertman dropping redpills on twitter.

For neutrality-sake, correlation does not equal causation.

That said, this does merit an investigation to establish causation (ie. what are they doing right that can be adapted to other countries). In the end, it might be chloroquine, or it might be something else.

I mean...it might be interesting to do a correlation around these numbers and perceived degree of gov't corruption (which might be an indicator of suppressed data as well).

iconmaster

Banned
Time to be scared guys.
BzVaxYg.jpg

What this says to me is that we are nowhere near the Spanish Flu. Even if you assume the rest of the year will be as bad as the first four months (that's unlikely, the curve has flattened) you're looking at well under half the deaths of what the Spanish Flu managed. Also the Spanish Flu was exceptionally dangerous for young adults.

cryptoadam

Banned
And how many of those deaths are the hands of people like Cuomow, Whitemer, and Levine for sending the elderly back into old homes.

I am going to say it, the lock down probably killed more people than it saved. Because of these lockdowns we had idiot leadership and media that got whiped into a frenzy they completly abandoned the most vulenrable, the people they were supposed to protect.

Take out the 30-40% of deaths caused by sending infected into old age homes, as well as the panic that caused people to abandon their jobs. Would 30-40% more people under the age of 70 died? I doubt it.

So instead of being smart about it, we created a panic, which caused everyone to say fuck these old people, and then 10's of thousands of them died. Where I live 80% of our deaths are in old age homes because people were so scared to go to work they abandoned these homes. If we didn't lock down everything but focused on the old age homes would 1600 more people died outside those home? probably not. Consider that about 60 people under the age of 60 have died where I live and its the epicenter of Canada I don't see how the lock downs saved more lives then it cost.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
And how many of those deaths are the hands of people like Cuomow, Whitemer, and Levine for sending the elderly back into old homes.

I am going to say it, the lock down probably killed more people than it saved. Because of these lockdowns we had idiot leadership and media that got whiped into a frenzy they completly abandoned the most vulenrable, the people they were supposed to protect.

Take out the 30-40% of deaths caused by sending infected into old age homes, as well as the panic that caused people to abandon their jobs. Would 30-40% more people under the age of 70 died? I doubt it.

So instead of being smart about it, we created a panic, which caused everyone to say fuck these old people, and then 10's of thousands of them died. Where I live 80% of our deaths are in old age homes because people were so scared to go to work they abandoned these homes. If we didn't lock down everything but focused on the old age homes would 1600 more people died outside those home? probably not. Consider that about 60 people under the age of 60 have died where I live and its the epicenter of Canada I don't see how the lock downs saved more lives then it cost.

This is nonsensical.
Where you live, people died because they didn't take this seriously early enough. Instead, they went on vacation to hotspots in Europe and NYC and brought the disease back with them. People "abandoned" old folks because they were sick, not because of fear.

Where I live, we locked down before March break and saved many lives in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom