• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liljagare

You're not wrong.

People really need to get that politicians aren't stupid, they just care about the next election, nothing else. *Just like everyone at their jobs.

Want to change the world? Get rid of 3-4 year govs, instate personal responsibility for politicians, so they are forever until they die responsible for their deals. Problem is, nobody would be a polititician then.

Though, don't have a issue with that, the world has really stopped evolving society wise, we need to figure out some new systems to make things work for the future. The 3-5 year election thing, isn't working anymore, probarly never worked, but we had enough resources and wars to hide it. The average joe nowadays though, probarly knows more about the world than ever before, even if it is through angled news, it doesn't work in systems made up for early 1800's citizens.

The political systems in place today do not serve us anymore, they are in place to keep them in place.

I think people are starting to realize this though, so, it's gonna be a few interesting years ahead.. :p

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Just thought I would share this book I've been reading with anyone who is interested, it's pretty well researched and it's been a fascinating read so far.

6N4e1SF.jpg

Amazon link
Antivaxer bullshit multiplied by 1000. Just reading a little bit of what they have to say is embarrassing. Dispelling germ theory - seriously? Even flat earthers at least put some effort into their weird ass craziness. Look at that shitty cover, their website looks like it is a geocities fan page.

Last edited:

sevoro

Antivaxer bullshit multiplied by 1000. Just reading a little bit of what they have to say is embarrassing. Dispelling germ theory - seriously? Even flat earthers at least put some effort into their weird ass craziness. Look at that shitty cover, their website looks like it is a geocities fan page.
I bet you it's one of those books that look at faulty results in scientific papers and try to "logically" come up with explanations for this, when in fact because they have no knowledge nor anyway to test these theories of them out, they just pass it on as truth.

There's a reason why we have theories that haven't been "debunked" yet in the biological sciences, they've been thoroughly tested or as thoroughly as possible. It's only physiscs that goes through major modifications to their theories.

If anyone wants to pretend to be a sage with otherworldly knowledge they have to prove everything they have just said. It's like those doctors who tell you blowing a hair drier up your nose can prevent coronavirus, they are just coasting of the gullible people who want to be special.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
USA having good numbers for a tuesday but getting hot in Cali and Texas.

If these riots will do anything were going to start seeing some results. But OTOH HK has protest and they dont get corona explosions.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
So I met someone who had had it a couple months ago. They said they had it a couple days really had and bedridden and then got over it. Their wife had it around the same time and had it for about a week. Both have not gotten their smell or taste back though. That's honestly the scariest thing he told me. He was probably about 40 and was running around fine

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nice, my company sending 500 bonus to every employee who worked during past few months during hard time.
We did not had any sick yet and the company acted very fast to to give masks, hand sanitizers and separate people, split shifts etc.
Dang

Nymphae

Banned
yeah so has it not been updated then? Or are they saying that they’re no longer worried?

I don't know or care what the "experts" are pretending to think anymore. Facts are that the UK government does not recognize Covid as a high consequence disease as early as March 19th. Take from that what you will.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
I don't understand how for 3 months they kept everyone inside and closed down all business's but can't do anything to stop all these people gathering and "protesting".

Get some balls and stand up and stop being PC.

I can't believe the massive amount of bullshit and hypocricy on display by governments and world wide Karens.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web

www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-06-03/man-behind-sweden-s-virus-strategy-says-he-got-some-things-wrong

The chief epidemiologist of Sweden admitted that he was wrong, and Sweden should have done more to slow the spread.

He fucked Sweden harder than I used to fuck some of its finest women.

Until now, Tegnell had argued that the long-term nature of the Covid-19 pandemic required a more sustainable response than severe and sudden lockdowns. Despite criticism from abroad, Tegnell’s strategy enjoyed widespread support in Sweden.

But with many other European Union countries now rolling back their lockdowns after appearing to bring Covid-19 under control, there are signs that Sweden may be left behind. That includes the freedom of movement of its citizens, as some EU countries restrict access to people coming from what are deemed high-risk Covid zones.

What’s more, there’s so far limited evidence that Sweden’s decision to leave much of its society open will support the economy. Finance Minister Magdalena Andersson recently warned that Sweden is facing its worst economic crisis since World War II, with GDP set to slump 7% in 2020, roughly as much as the rest of the EU.

I wonder if any of you who had agreed with his original strategy are willing to accept that you were wrong too.

I don't understand how for 3 months they kept everyone inside and closed down all business's but can't do anything to stop all these people gathering and "protesting".

Get some balls and stand up and stop being PC.

I can't believe the massive amount of bullshit and hypocricy on display by governments and world wide Karens.

The sad thing is black communities are a high risk with Covid. If these gatherings do in fact have Covid spreading around it could be devastating for the black communities involved.

We are literally seeing social justice take priority over actual human life. Covid never went anywhere, common sense did.

cryptoadam

Banned
The sad thing is black communities are a high risk with Covid. If these gatherings do in fact have Covid spreading around it could be devastating for the black communities involved.

We are literally seeing social justice take priority over actual human life. Covid never went anywhere, common sense did.

Well we will see in a few weeks if COVID was as bad as they said so. If all of a sudden all these people start dying. But HK was having protest as well and they never had giant spikes or anything.

If nothing happens that will be great because it means all this lock down BS was just that BS.

I wonder if they announced someone tested positive if the protesters would all scary like cockroaches and go back into hiding and karening people for going to church or opening their hair salons.

Lanrutcon

South Africa's exiting the lockdown...one way or another. General population isn't giving a shit anyway anymore.

So in a few weeks we're probably going to have a rash of unhappiness, but it was unavoidable. Let's see how it goes.

Oh, and our dumbass Covid task force head is still keeping up the ban on cigarettes. Sigh.

Well we will see in a few weeks if COVID was as bad as they said so. If all of a sudden all these people start dying. But HK was having protest as well and they never had giant spikes or anything.

If nothing happens that will be great because it means all this lock down BS was just that BS.

I wonder if they announced someone tested positive if the protesters would all scary like cockroaches and go back into hiding and karening people for going to church or opening their hair salons.

It'll depend entirely upon how much Covid is actually in these areas. You could have a protest with thousands of people and not one of them actually has Covid.

Last month in South Korea one person had infected 54 people by visiting three night clubs. Now imagine that kind of superspreader taking part in the Minneapolis riots. Not good.

Last edited:

Ornlu

Banned
www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-06-03/man-behind-sweden-s-virus-strategy-says-he-got-some-things-wrong

The chief epidemiologist of Sweden admitted that he was wrong, and Sweden should have done more to slow the spread.

He fucked Sweden harder than I used to fuck some of its finest women.

I wonder if any of you who had agreed with his original strategy are willing to accept that you were wrong too.

Your quoted excerpt reads more like the EU is going to cause Sweden problems, via not allowing people from Sweden to travel. If the country is not having dramatically larger death tolls per capita than all other EU countries, it should not be an issue. Especially as they should theoretically achieve herd immunity the fastest.

cryptoadam

Banned
It'll depend entirely upon how much Covid is actually in these areas. You could have a protest with thousands of people and not one of them actually has Covid.

Last month in South Korea one person had infected 54 people by visiting three night clubs. Now imagine that kind of superspreader taking part in the Minneapolis riots. Not good.

Only thing I can think of is being outside really does reduce the transmission.

Anyways we will see. Its been over a week so if there will be an explosion its gonna start coming in the next few days.

JordanN

Banned
I couldn't get on the bus today. They're still using the 10 person limit and each bus comes 30 minutes apart.

This isn't sustainable anymore. How the hell are we suppose to attend jobs when public transport is backed up?

I know some people who literally have to wait for THREE buses to pass by before they can go home. It's ridiculous, especially with the summer weather here.

Last edited:

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
they're claiming new cases every time people gather. especially during the riots and protests. I doubt any of those people actually went to get tested.

cryptoadam

Banned
I couldn't get on the bus today. They're still using the 10 person limit and each bus comes 30 minutes apart.

This isn't sustainable anymore. How the hell are we suppose to attend jobs when public transport is backed up?

I know some people who literally have to wait for THREE buses to pass by before they can go home. It's ridiculous, especially with the summer weather here.

Start a riot on the bus then they will let everyone on.

Protests and riots are the cure for CV.

cryptoadam

Banned
So now the WHO is back to testing HCQ after canceling their trials. What a clown show.

Probably were duped by a fake fraud report created using fake data. And this is the world global health organization?

I bet they have all the data they need showing HCQ is a treatment and they have been suppressing it because Orange Man Bad.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I just got back from taking a walk and one of my neighbors ran over to me without a mask and was like here, we got your mail by mistake and handed it to me. He wasn't wearing a mask. Granted he didn't get right up in my face, but he was like 3 or 4 feet away. Closest I've been to someone in weeks.

Think I should be concerned at all?

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Your quoted excerpt reads more like the EU is going to cause Sweden problems, via not allowing people from Sweden to travel. If the country is not having dramatically larger death tolls per capita than all other EU countries, it should not be an issue. Especially as they should theoretically achieve herd immunity the fastest.

That was his theory, and he was proven dead wrong.
Sweden is no closer to herd immunity than any of its neighbors.
If you read the article you will see just how much higher their deaths per 100,000 are than their neighbors.
Their economy was hurt anyway, and if they're prevented from traveling because other countries deem it dangerous, that's just another failure.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I just got back from taking a walk and one of my neighbors ran over to me without a mask and was like here, we got your mail by mistake and handed it to me. He wasn't wearing a mask. Granted he didn't get right up in my face, but he was like 3 or 4 feet away. Closest I've been to someone in weeks.

Think I should be concerned at all?

No man. You have to be in their vicinity for a set amount of time . I am around corona virus patients all day that forget to put on their masks and so far I’m okay because I keep my interactions brief and suit up and keep a moderate distance.

sevoro

so if I understand people got infected at big gatherings, but then most of them don't infect others?
It's more. In one single event (a big gathering), one person infects a large number of people. That's the only conclusion, nothing else.

Also the virus takes time to incubate and become infectious so the majority of now infected people won't have time to infect others during that event and the likelihood that they do is low if non-existent.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
It's more. In one single event (a big gathering), one person infects a large number of people. That's the only conclusion, nothing else.

Also, the virus takes time to incubate and become infectious so the majority of now infected people won't have time to infect others during that event and the likelihood that they do is low if non-existent.
Is it safe to gather by now?

sevoro

Is it safe to gather by now?

By looking at only this article I wouldn't have sufficient data to draw a conclusion.

However, the academics of this opinion piece state that severe actions taken to limit the virus in all forms should be reduced, and that only actions taken to prevent superspreading events (large gatherings) should be worked on. So small gatherings seem to be on the table.

JordanN

Banned
  • Mask down
  • Large Gathering
  • Not standing 6 feet

I feel bad for the law enforcement who are forced into this. There's going to be a lot of sick officers in the next 4 ~ 8 days.

Also, weren't the police once seen as "essential workers"? Funny how that all changed in a flash.

bUnqRem.jpg

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I don't know or care what the "experts" are pretending to think anymore. Facts are that the UK government does not recognize Covid as a high consequence disease as early as March 19th. Take from that what you will.
IIRC, the UK government initially downplayed the seriousness of COVID19 in mid March, only two reverse course a week later when it became clear the disease was far worse than they had anticipated. That website likely just hasn’t been updated to reflect current policy.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Their death tolls are higher than neighboring countries by an order of magnitude, and early evidence seems to show that they are no closer to herd immunity than their neighbours. I think the number of infected is only 7%.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game

Man, you need to stop with this shit.

The only way to stop this virus is to prevent it from getting to people. Not by a vaccine in a year or two, not by herd immunity, not by Donald Trumps elixir of the week.

Two weeks. Two weeks was the difference between Australia's COVID outbreak and Canada's outbreak. Australia locked down two weeks before Canada. Until that time, their outbreaks were identical. Australia sealed off the borders and went into a lockdown early. Since then, Australia has basically 0 community transmission and has been opening up gradually for over a month, with a plan to be completely out of lockdown by July. Canada dithered for two weeks and now has ongoing community transmission, with most of the country still under lockdown, and no time table to when they will re open..

Canada locked down before St Patricks day. The USA didnt. BC locked down before March break, Quebec didnt (March break is earlier in Quebec and Ontario). Canadas outbreak is about half as deadly as the USAs, and BCs outbreak is about 1/10th as deadly as Quebecs. Getting people to stay home works. Keep in mind that in Canada, virtually no one is getting any treatment for COVID19, whereas in the USA people are getting the entire kitchen sink thrown at them.

The protests are worrisome. Things might get bad. We dont really know how this virus behaves in a large outdoor crowd, but we will find out in 10 days. If we get through these next few weeks without a large spike, it means the virus likely isn't very contagious in an outdoor environement. We can probably use that information to open up parks and beaches. But it'll have no implications at all for indoor gatherings, where we know the virus is highly contagious.

Last edited:

Ornlu

Banned
That was his theory, and he was proven dead wrong.
Sweden is no closer to herd immunity than any of its neighbors.
If you read the article you will see just how much higher their deaths per 100,000 are than their neighbors.
Their economy was hurt anyway, and if they're prevented from traveling because other countries deem it dangerous, that's just another failure.

I don't see them at the top of the list in Europe per your criteria. They look to be much higher than some, though. If they're the only country doing something different, and are as wrong as is claimed...shouldn't they be doing the worst?

Their death tolls are higher than neighboring countries by an order of magnitude, and early evidence seems to show that they are no closer to herd immunity than their neighbours. I think the number of infected is only 7%.

Those two things should not be able to go hand in hand, unless the population of Sweden is vastly less healthy than others in Europe. If you're having a lot of deaths, it means a lot of people are getting the virus in general. So if Sweden is having more deaths, and is not failing somehow on treatment/management of the ill, then that means their population is achieving immunity faster.

Nymphae

Banned
IIRC, the UK government initially downplayed the seriousness of COVID19 in mid March, only two reverse course a week later when it became clear the disease was far worse than they had anticipated. That website likely just hasn’t been updated to reflect current policy.

Do you recall correctly though

Back at work after three months. Nobody gives a crap about masks, thank goodness. Loaded this thread on my work PC, and noticed it loaded page 80 odd, where I was when I was last here. Made me chuckle.

Covid: "YOU SHOULD BE AFRAID. YOU ARE ASYMPTOMATIC AND YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW IT!"
Floyd: "YOU SHOULD BE ANGRY. YOU ARE RACIST AND YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW IT!"

This thread was a ride, but I'm probably done now. Got to know some great Gaffers. The storm is in your mind, let it settle, and feel some inner peace. Don't follow the herd.

Just goes to show that politicians lean whichever way the wind blows. I'm sure they've all done the calculation as to how bad the backlash would be if they took the public position reprimanding the protesters about wearing masks and have decided not to touch it with a 10ft pole.

I'm just curious to see where we are at in 2-3 weeks from now when people should start showing symptoms if they got it. It seems like the spread has reduced quite a bit during the spring/summer, but this will be the test as to how much its been tapped down.

Also, if the infection rate does get bad around the protesters, are we going to hear about how its disproportionately affecting black and brown communities?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom