• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chittagong

Gold Member
58691e1a7e3e4b74953fb45022e42c0a.jpg

Man I'm not sure if this relates to anyone else here but covid about to take frischs big boy out they are closing alot of their restaurants. Fuck this virus fr.

Chaplain

Thoughts?

"99%+ of coronavirus infections will survive & have no serious health complications. 80% of Bill Gates' vaccine recipients had negative complications, but he assures us it's worth taking several shots as some of the complications were just "super painful"."

Last edited:

bigsnack

There are a number of pre-existing vaccines that have side effects like fever / chills, etc. In both of my kids, one of the vaccines that they got at 12 months caused them to actually get sick for about 2 days. I don't even understand what the concern here is. The vaccine will be absolutely necessary for old farts that don't take care of themselves. I think they will be willing to risk some fever / chills to avoid dying from bilateral pneumonia.

There are a number of pre-existing vaccines that have side effects like fever / chills, etc. In both of my kids, one of the vaccines that they got at 12 months caused them to actually get sick for about 2 days. I don't even understand what the concern here is. The vaccine will be absolutely necessary for old farts that don't take care of themselves. I think they will be willing to risk some fever / chills to avoid dying from bilateral pneumonia.
I tend to agree that the side effects are played up generally for most vaccines. But as a healthcare worker who is under 40 and very healthy, I hope my job doesn’t try to mandate that I get this thing right away. I was ok with being forced to get the flu vaccine every year because it has been rigorously tested. This is a bit different. I’m confident it will be safe, but I am also confident I will be fine if it got covid.

Alx

It's basic cost vs benefit. If the cost is being "super painful" for a short while, and the benefit is "some lives will be saved", then yeah, do it.

Joe T.

Man I'm not sure if this relates to anyone else here but covid about to take frischs big boy out they are closing alot of their restaurants. Fuck this virus fr.

m9KtGWD.jpg

95% of this could have been prevented had the Chinese Communist Party not covered it up, they are to blame for rolling this snowball down the mountain and allowing it to become a world-crushing monstrosity. The rest of us are to blame for not questioning the media reports (they've been wrong/misleading on a lot)...

Thoughts?

"99%+ of coronavirus infections will survive & have no serious health complications. 80% of Bill Gates' vaccine recipients had negative complications, but he assures us it's worth taking several shots as some of the complications were just "super painful"."

...just as the press is to blame for not putting more pressure on high profile figures like Bill Gates, Fauci, etc. Gates gets away with murder just by virtue of highly questionable media appearances that face no push back, like the time he was interviewed by CNN's Fareed Zakaria - watch how happy he gets and flat out starts laughing as he's told the economy will take a long time to recover (5:24 timestamp):

The Gates Foundation has poured hundreds of millions of dollars into funding media outlets around the world and with that money comes a great deal of influence very few have questioned, certainly not the outlets that are afraid to lose that money now that Google, Facebook and Amazon dominate digital ad revenue. But more to the point, this is worth listening to:

If anyone has a genuine sense of curiosity about what's happening I'd suggest checking out her Twitter thread, it's a treasure trove of sourced reports and facts she dug up in an attempt to answer when/where this started and those involved.

cryptoadam

Banned

bigsnack

Good job for the UK.

Go back 6-8 weeks ago and UK was the worst place on earth and millions will die. Glad to see it worked out for them. Hopefully Dr. Campbell is proud.

So basically, the US has another 6-8 weeks to go. As the cases and deaths start to fall I'm sure folks will cheer the distancing measures and the mask mandates, etc. In reality, the virus will have simply run its course in all of the areas that got it lightly at the beginning.

cryptoadam

Banned
So basically, the US has another 6-8 weeks to go. As the cases and deaths start to fall I'm sure folks will cheer the distancing measures and the mask mandates, etc. In reality, the virus will have simply run its course in all of the areas that got it lightly at the beginning.

Distancing and hygeine are still important. And myself perosnally i will avoid large gatherings.

But the virus is a virus. Its gonna virus. Vietnam just had its first case in like 100 days. Where did it come from? How did it get into the country?

Virus gonna virus.

Jezbollah

Good job for the UK.

Go back 6-8 weeks ago and UK was the worst place on earth and millions will die. Glad to see it worked out for them. Hopefully Dr. Campbell is proud.

I was speaking to my best mate's eldest daughter yesterday. She's a student nurse. The chat we had was really illuminating on how her hospital, and regional trust in general has adapted and has got used to treating covid patients (and indeed, those not with covid).

The amount of knowledge they have on the virus, plus the methods and framework they have in place to treat the illness left me impressed and doesn't leave me surprised at the low mortality rate, even though cases will go up due to the controls being lifted.

They have their shit sorted now. Even when it comes to the issue with children and Kawasaki disease that has cases both with and without COVID involvement. The reason you don't hear anything about that anymore is because they have that figured out in terms of diagnosis and treatment. The biggest factor in that scenario is how quickly parents get their kids to hospital after they see the first body rash.

We really are seeing how lessons have been learnt, and how they are putting that knowledge into practice. I'm really confident that in the short to medium term, even with the rising cases, our health service can cope, and even better than that, they're back to helping very ill people that do not have COVID.

FireFly

Cases in the UK are flat, but not dropping, which indicates the virus has been suppressed, but herd immunity has not been reached.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Why is this video so....weird. The way its filmed and if this is a big press conference or something, where are the people? Not saying its bogus but it seriously looks like one of those infomercial "doctor testimonials".

Also their website looks bootleg as fuck.

What is going on here?
Fringe politically motivated groups attempting to control the narrative using social media.

we have good RCTs now from three countries that show no benefit to HCQ. On the ladder of evidence quality, hysterical “doctor” going on about anecdotes during fake press conference falls a fair few rungs lower.

Last edited:

Joe T.

What is going on here?

The question everyone should have been asking from the start.

"Masks work" and several weeks after being mandated California's cases were higher than ever.

Deaths are down drastically, but now we're focused on positive cases even though the average age is down significantly.

"Hydroxychloroquine doesn't work" say those citing highly questionable trials and studies lacking zinc and/or z-pak, like the retracted one from The Lancet. Surgisphere refused an audit and editor Funck-Brentano said: "This is my first retraction story in my whole [decades-long] career."

Case reporting errors and fake/misleading news stories don't get much attention when they're corrected, instead facing push back.

What is going on here? Those that ask seem to get silenced and told to just follow the rules... made by the people that have been wrong time and time again. Curious, isn't it?

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
The question everyone should have been asking from the start.

"Masks work" and several weeks after being mandated California's cases were higher than ever.

Deaths are down drastically, but now we're focused on positive cases even though the average age is down significantly.

"Hydroxychloroquine doesn't work" say those citing highly questionable trials and studies lacking zinc and/or z-pak, like the retracted one from The Lancet. Surgisphere refused an audit and editor Funck-Brentano said: "This is my first retraction story in my whole [decades-long] career."

Case reporting errors and fake/misleading news stories don't get much attention when they're corrected, instead facing push back.

What is going on here? Those that ask seem to get silenced and told to just follow the rules... made by the people that have been wrong time and time again. Curious, isn't it?
Believe it or not, we acutally want HCQ (or anything) to work for COVID19. What ticks me off is when posters like yourself cherry pick news stories to push their ridiculous conspiracy theories.

The fact is, at the moment the balance of evidence points to HCQ not working. The only treatment that has shown any evidence of improving survival is dexamethasone. Perhaps new studies will change this, but we can only deal with the facts as we know them.

The Surgisphere study was a retrospective analysis, and has been retracted due to an inability to verify the provenance of its data. However, there have been several other retrospective analysis since then that essentially confirmed its findings. More importantly, there have been good quality RCTs that also confirmed the same findings. We also have an RCT that did not show any benefit to HCQ as a prophylaxis. Anyone with an inkling of knowledge of the scientific process knows that RCTs are generally the highest quality of evidence and their findings supercede those of retrospective analyses.

Errors are a fact of life. The fact that these are being discovered and fixed by public health officials shows that the system is working. In the end, these errors are a drop in the bucket compared to the true amount of cases. Even the much ballyhooed Florida reporting situation that drove the fever swamps of conspiracy theorists into a frenzy would have only effected the state's positivity rate by 0.1%.

And no, deaths are not down drastically. The USA had 1140 deaths July 24th. It had 610 three weeks earlier on July 3rd.

Last edited:

Aarbron

So my city, Melbourne Australia has had one of the toughest lockdowns in Australia. In fact, this is our second lockdown given our second wave. Our state was suppsedly a poster child among the academic community on how to respond to the virus.

In all likelihood, the harsh laws will likely apply to the rest of the state. Our progressive government has mandated the following:

1) Only leave your home for four reasons
2) Don't leave your suburb
3) Mandatory masks
4) Police checkpoints circling the city of Melbourne (with military help). For the past months, Melbournians have not been allowed to leave the city
5) Other Australian states have effectively isolated Victoria (rightly).
6) Joint patrols between local police and the military enforcing mask rule.

700d0b453b960a24f0d996c4215d9a42

Yet, the lockdowns are failing:

Coronavirus cases aren't coming down despite Victoria's lockdowns. Experts seek to explain why

I don't buy the story re masks in the article. 99% of people are wearing masks with the exception of a few clowns on social media.

The majority of our cases are in aged homes and among health professionals. The state government has horribly bungled the entire situation, but insists the population is at fault. Tests gone missing from aged care homes, hotel quarantine security staff bonking the quarantined (yes, really!), those tested told to go back to work while waiting test results. The list goes on and on.

Our Premier, Dan Andrews, has now threatened to shutdown entire industries - including meat processing facilities.

gamerMan

The full video's on Youtube.

I've never seen so much garbage in my life. The way this is shot should give it away that it is fraudulent. Looks like a really bad movie and totally staged. Looking at their bios on the website, all these doctors look like they are not on the front lines of Covid and just threw on a lab coat in the morning.

I love her accent but sorry fucking Dr. Stella Immanuel is fucking a wacko. What type of doctor is she? A doctor of witchcraft? Hallelujah! http://firepowerministry.org/blog/deliverance-from-family-line-witchcraft-by-dr-stella-immanuel/

Ed-gPr6XYAATPHC

Also, if we really have a cure for Covid, then why the heck are so many people dying? Just cure them already with Hydrochloroquine.

That's because this website was created 11 days ago and slapped together to convince the sheeple. All it takes is a 5 second search on Google. https://whois.domaintools.com/americasfrontlinedoctors.com
Ed-SqZwVoAA0ibR

Joe T.

Believe it or not, we acutally want HCQ (or anything) to work for COVID19. What ticks me off is when posters like yourself cherry pick news stories to push their ridiculous conspiracy theories.

The fact is, at the moment the balance of evidence points to HCQ not working. The only treatment that has shown any evidence of improving survival is dexamethasone. Perhaps new studies will change this, but we can only deal with the facts as we know them.

The Surgisphere study was a retrospective analysis, and has been retracted due to an inability to verify the provenance of its data. However, there have been several other retrospective analysis since then that essentially confirmed its findings. More importantly, there have been good quality RCTs that also confirmed the same findings. We also have an RCT that did not show any benefit to HCQ as a prophylaxis. Anyone with an inkling of knowledge of the scientific process knows that RCTs are generally the highest quality of evidence and their findings supercede those of retrospective analyses.

Errors are a fact of life. The fact that these are being discovered and fixed by public health officials shows that the system is working. In the end, these errors are a drop in the bucket compared to the true amount of cases. Even the much ballyhooed Florida reporting situation that drove the fever swamps of conspiracy theorists into a frenzy would have only effected the state's positivity rate by 0.1%.

That's an interesting reply. You're accusing me of cherry picking while you're in the middle of doing it yourself. The retracted Lancet study is a piece of the larger whole, one mistake on top of a mountain of mistakes that few seem willing to discuss after they've been corrected. The doctor in that video was addressing that very point, interested in knowing who/what's backing these trials/studies, the "science." We already know politics is playing a very heavy role in what doctors and scientists do/don't say, that's no conspiracy theory.

A Guardian investigation can reveal the US-based company Surgisphere, whose handful of employees appear to include a science fiction writer and an adult-content model, has provided data for multiple studies on Covid-19 co-authored by its chief executive, but has so far failed to adequately explain its data or methodology.

That doesn't raise your suspicions at all? Just to nail the point home, from the same article:

The Guardian’s investigation has found:
  • A search of publicly available material suggests several of Surgisphere’s employees have little or no data or scientific background. An employee listed as a science editor appears to be a science fiction author and fantasy artist whose professional profile suggests writing is her fulltime job. Another employee listed as a marketing executive is an adult model and events hostess, who also acts in videos for organisations.
  • The company’s LinkedIn page has fewer than 100 followers and last week listed just six employees. This was changed to three employees as of Wednesday.
  • While Surgisphere claims to run one of the largest and fastest hospital databases in the world, it has almost no online presence. Its Twitter handle has fewer than 170 followers, with no posts between October 2017 and March 2020.
  • Until Monday, the get in touch” link on Surgisphere’s homepage redirected to a WordPress template for a cryptocurrency website, raising questions about how hospitals could easily contact the company to join its database.
  • Desai has been named in three medical malpractice suits, unrelated to the Surgisphere database. In an interview with the Scientist, Desai previously described the allegations as “unfounded”.
  • In 2008, Desai launched a crowdfunding campaign on the website Indiegogo promoting a wearable “next generation human augmentation device that can help you achieve what you never thought was possible”. The device never came to fruition.
  • Desai’s Wikipedia page has been deleted following questions about Surgisphere and his history, first raised in 2010.

These are the experts we rely on to make decisions regarding life and death. Dwell on that for a minute.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
We've already established the Surgisphere Lanclet paper was discredited. I'm not sure why you would frame my post as if I were defending the paper - I literally said in the post you quoted that it was retracted.

These are not the experts that we rely on. The paper is retracted. We are not relying on it. The experts came out and found fault with the paper, voiced their concern, and the paper was reviewed and removed. That's the fail safe we have in place, and it worked. Studies on HCQ have resumed.

In the interim, there are three RCTs that show no efficacy for HCQ as treatment and one that shows no efficacy as prophylaxis. Perhaps we should move onto those instead of clinging to a paper that has widely been discredited?

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
So my city, Melbourne Australia has had one of the toughest lockdowns in Australia. In fact, this is our second lockdown given our second wave. Our state was suppsedly a poster child among the academic community on how to respond to the virus.

In all likelihood, the harsh laws will likely apply to the rest of the state. Our progressive government has mandated the following:

1) Only leave your home for four reasons
2) Don't leave your suburb
3) Mandatory masks
4) Police checkpoints circling the city of Melbourne (with military help). For the past months, Melbournians have not been allowed to leave the city
5) Other Australian states have effectively isolated Victoria (rightly).
6) Joint patrols between local police and the military enforcing mask rule.

700d0b453b960a24f0d996c4215d9a42

Yet, the lockdowns are failing:

Coronavirus cases aren't coming down despite Victoria's lockdowns. Experts seek to explain why

I don't buy the story re masks in the article. 99% of people are wearing masks with the exception of a few clowns on social media.

The majority of our cases are in aged homes and among health professionals. The state government has horribly bungled the entire situation, but insists the population is at fault. Tests gone missing from aged care homes, hotel quarantine security staff bonking the quarantined (yes, really!), those tested told to go back to work while waiting test results. The list goes on and on.

Our Premier, Dan Andrews, has now threatened to shutdown entire industries - including meat processing facilities.

I saw that there was supposed to be a BLM protest tomorrow (or I guess today depending on AUS time). The courts blocked it twice and the cops said they will fine people but the WHYTE guy who put it together is still trying to put it on. Will be interesting to see if anyone shows up and if they actually arrest these protesters.

Cool vid, but unfortunately it just isn't true. Lots of patients are given that treatment and die.
This is true. I can’t vouch for whether it’s effective in certain situations, as it may well be, but I can say it’s not silver bullet. There isn’t one at this time. At least not for certain people.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Cool vid, but unfortunately it just isn't true. Lots of patients are given that treatment and die.

Have we seen any studies on the specific combination she is talking about? Hydroxychloroquine, Zinc, and Zitromax?

The ones I've heard mostly about, if I'm recalling correctly, looked only at the effects of Hydroxychloroquine administered alone.

Have we seen any studies on the specific combination she is talking about? Hydroxychloroquine, Zinc, and Zitromax?

The ones I've heard mostly about, if I'm recalling correctly, looked only at the effects of Hydroxychloroquine administered alone.
I mean I’ve seen it used in critically ill patients to no avail. It might have some utility early on before things progress. At least that’s the argument I’ve seen for it. But once things get bad, it doesn’t really seem to help.

Joe T.

We've already established the Surgisphere Lanclet paper was discredited. I'm not sure why you would frame my post as if I were defending the paper - I literally said in the post you quoted that it was retracted.

We did, but we haven't established how or why it happened. Important, don't you think? It suspended HCQ trials around the world.

Trust in science is as strong as ever. Trust in scientific reporting is the real problem. There are a lot of questions not getting the attention they deserve and I find that lack of curiosity troubling.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I mean I’ve seen it used in critically ill patients to no avail. It might have some utility early on before things progress. At least that’s the argument I’ve seen for it. But once things get bad, it doesn’t really seem to help.

I hear you, but I also feel like there's got to be something to all of these random doctors from around the world (usually from poorer countries) singing the praises of this combination and how they have treated dozens if not hundreds of patients successfully. Is it really just a bunch of conspiracy nonsense? Who is propping them up?

These are not the experts that we rely on. The paper is retracted. We are not relying on it. The experts came out and found fault with the paper, voiced their concern, and the paper was reviewed and removed. That's the fail safe we have in place, and it worked. Studies on HCQ have resumed.

In the interim, there are three RCTs that show no efficacy for HCQ as treatment and one that shows no efficacy as prophylaxis. Perhaps we should move onto those instead of clinging to a paper that has widely been discredited?
You do understand why that debacle might have made the whole discussion around this worse, right? I mean it certainly has contributed to the idea that there is a nonscientific reason why this drug is so controversial.

I personally don’t subscribe to the idea that it’s some sort of cure. But it’s hard to see some of this and not wonder how that tripe study got published in the fucking Lancet.

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
We did, but we haven't established how or why it happened. Important, don't you think? It suspended HCQ trials around the world.

Trust in science is as strong as ever. Trust in scientific reporting is the real problem. There are a lot of questions not getting the attention they deserve and I find that lack of curiosity troubling.
Surgisphere was a business that wanted to make money and was looking to make a name for itself. They either made up the data or cut corners in obtaining it. There has been plenty of journalism as to their motivations - you just haven't read it. There was also a paper that looked at Ace Inhibitors and COVID 19 that was based on data from Surgisphere and retracted at the same time, but this paper rarely gets mentioned by the conspiracy theorists because it doesn't fit their narrative.

I hear you, but I also feel like there's got to be something to all of these random doctors from around the world (usually from poorer countries) singing the praises of this combination and how they have treated dozens if not hundreds of patients successfully. Is it really just a bunch of conspiracy nonsense? Who is propping them up?
I don’t begin to know. It’s such a difficult thing to parse. I only know my very limited experience and what I’ve read. I know it’s not a silver bullet. Maybe it has some use, maybe not. The whole discussion has been poisoned.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
You do understand why that debacle might have made the whole discussion around this worse, right? I mean it certainly has contributed to the idea that there is a nonscientific reason why this drug is so controversial.

I personally don’t subscribe to the idea that it’s some sort of cure. But it’s hard to see some of this and not wonder how that tripe study got published in the fucking Lancet.
Of course I do.

You can read this if you want some genuine insight into what motivated the authors of the study:

Of course I do.

You can read this if you want some genuine insight into what motivated the authors of the study:
This doesn’t answer the question of how they made it into the Lancet though. Just the motivations of the authors. I get that they probably were looking for money/prestige. What I have a hard time with as the 2nd leading medical journal in the US publishing something that was literally made up. It calls into question the credibility of the journal as a whole.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This doesn’t answer the question of how they made it into the Lancet though. Just the motivations of the authors. I get that they probably were looking for money/prestige. What I have a hard time with as the 2nd leading medical journal in the US publishing something that was literally made up. It calls into question the credibility of the journal as a whole.

Well, there was this...

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
New pandemic, rush to be the first to publish, too much trust in the lead author (who himself likely was taken for a ride by Surgisphere). It was definitely a mistake, but there are obvious reasons that don't resort to conspiracy.

If they had not investigated and retracted the paper, yes, it would have. But they responded to concerns swiftly and made an appropriate determination based on Surgisphere's lack of transparency. This isn't the first time the Lancet had to retract a paper - they were the journal that published Wakefield's bogus MMR/autism study, and it took them twelve years to retract that. By comparison, this study was retracted within two weeks.

Last edited:

Joe T.

Surgisphere was a business that wanted to make money and was looking to make a name for itself. They either made up the data or cut corners in obtaining it. There has been plenty of journalism as to their motivations - you just haven't read it. There was also a paper that looked at Ace Inhibitors and COVID 19 that was based on data from Surgisphere and retracted at the same time, but this paper rarely gets mentioned by the conspiracy theorists because it doesn't fit their narrative.

This obviously isn't a new story. I raised it earlier as part of a number of questions that haven't received the attention I think they deserve. We just highlighted how easy it was for such an unqualified company to have a huge impact on media coverage and medical trials. It's a weak link in the chain, one that was too easily exploited.

Let's hope the vaccine gets a lot more scrutiny than this study did, preferably before it's injected into billions of people.

New pandemic, rush to be the first to publish, too much trust in the lead author (who himself likely was taken for a ride by Surgisphere). It was definitely a mistake, but there are obvious reasons that don't resort to conspiracy.

If they had not investigated and retracted the paper, yes, it would have. But they responded to concerns swiftly and made an appropriate determination based on Surgisphere's lack of transparency. This isn't the first time the Lancet had to retract a paper - they were the journal that published Wakefield's bogus MMR/autism study, and it took them twelve years to retract that. By comparison, this study was retracted within two weeks.
I suppose. But it’s wild to think that something like this happens. Especially considering the ramifications at multiple levels. The obvious medical issues where you might be depriving people from a treatment that had at least some potential. The political consequences. The trust in the scientific community. At a time when the stakes couldn’t have been higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom