• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryptoadam

Banned
Fauci is a coward.
“A: It was implied in no crowds of more than 10 people. But you’re right, crowds in church are important and every time I get a chance to say it, I mention it. I can’t really criticize them strongly for that at all. When you say less than 10, it makes common sense that it involves the church. I say it publicly and even the vice president has said it publicly.”

Didn’t have a problem specifically mentioning churches either. But for some reason, he’s afraid to explicitly mention protests. Just keeps saying “crowds”. It’s weasel language. Just say the protests spread to virus.

Some good ones

Q: I’m curious about some things that aren’t happening on a national scale. One is, why are shelter in place orders happening state by state? Why are we doing this sequentially? Is that a mistake?

A:
No, I don’t think we could say it’s a mistake or not a mistake. There is a discussion and a delicate balance about what’s the overall impact of shutting everything down completely for an indefinite period of time. So, there’s a compromise. If you knock down the economy completely and disrupt infrastructure, you may be causing health issues, unintended consequences, for people who need to be able to get to places and can’t. You do the best you can. I’ve emphasized very emphatically at every press conference, that everybody in the country, at a minimum, should be following the fundamental guidelines. Elderly, stay out of society in self isolation. Don’t go to work if you don’t have to. Yada, yada, yada. No bars, no restaurants, no nothing. Only essential services. When you get a place like New York or Washington or California, you have got to ratchet it up. But it is felt—and it isn’t me only speaking, it’s a bunch of people who make the decisions—that if you lock down everything now, you’re going to crash the whole society. So, you do what you can do, as best as you can. Do as much physical separation as you can and ratchet it up at the places you know are at highest risk.

So even Fauci sees the risks of lockdowns, but remember its only evil DRUMPF he never follows the science or FAUCI. not one mention of wearing masks either. Social distance, don't go to bars, protect the elderly but doesn't talk about masks.

Q: Right now, why do we have a travel ban on visitors from China when there are few cases in China other than imported cases? What’s the logic?

A:
I’m sorry. I was just looking at two text messages, one from a governor and one from the White House. I gotta get off.

WHY A TRAVEL BAN ON CHINA DERP DERP, THEY HAVE FEW CASES DERP DERP. Please send me my 50 Cents YUAN Xi.

CloudNull

Banned
Been seeing a lot of this in this thread unfortunately, and it's got to stop. If you are saying you knew or predicted the outcome, you are lying and you are pretty much telling everyone you don't understand the basic tenets of virology -- There's no "I knew it!" 's when it comes to novel I.D.
My argument is not that I knew how to beat it but that lockdowns do not work. They are a temporary solution for a permanent problem. Now lockdowns while we flatten the curve or learn how to fight it? I’m all for it. This return to lock down is not the way.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Fauci is and has always been a weasel. He's always just vague enough to never be pinned down. He couches his statements with just enough wiggle room to give himself an excuse later. Its weasel garbage. The most obvious examples are his early statements against wearing masks in public.

Fauci's been in the political game longer than virtually all of politicians at this point. He's really good at it.

All he had to do was say the exact same shit he did with the lockdown protests, but he couldn't bring himself to do that.

Been seeing a lot of this in this thread unfortunately, and it's got to stop. If you are saying you knew or predicted the outcome, you are lying and you are pretty much telling everyone you don't understand the basic tenets of virology -- There's no "I knew it!" 's when it comes to novel I.D.

No, this is the sort of thing that the people in charge, who are almost always very stupid, want you to think. I am reminded of the Iraq War, when the Dubya admin was claiming that Iraq was such an amazingly complicated situation that anyone who said it would be a disaster going in was just being disingenuous. When in reality it was obvious to anyone with a functioning brain.

There are almost 600 pages on this thread and many of us were saying these things and have for months. It was easy to tell the numbers they were spouting early on were totally fake, it was easy to figure out that the virus was not nearly as dangerous as they were saying it was, and it was easy to figure out that keeping some form of lockdown in place long term was just kicking the can down the road, while devastating the economy and peoples' mental health. And it wasn't just video game fans in a thread, it was also doctors on YouTube and Twitter who got banned for going against the official narrative.

You don't have to be a genius to figure this stuff out.

Last edited:

pel1300

Fauci is a coward.
“A: It was implied in no crowds of more than 10 people. But you’re right, crowds in church are important and every time I get a chance to say it, I mention it. I can’t really criticize them strongly for that at all. When you say less than 10, it makes common sense that it involves the church. I say it publicly and even the vice president has said it publicly.”

Didn’t have a problem specifically mentioning churches either. But for some reason, he’s afraid to explicitly mention protests. Just keeps saying “crowds”. It’s weasel language. Just say the protests spread the virus.
I haven't lived in the US for 10 years - and I haven't been following Fauci, never even watched a full interview.

He seems compromised or at best way past his prime and out of touch as an expert (80 years old?)

At least with Sweden's health experts - I don't get the sense that they are pretending or bullshitting. They admit to making mistakes - and they admit they don't have all the answers. Tegnell recently as been a bit more defensive/stand offish with mainstream media interviewers understandably after being attacked so much the past 4 months.

I haven't lived in the US for 10 years - and I haven't been following Fauci, never even watched a full interview.

He seems compromised or at best way past his prime and out of touch as an expert (80 years old?)

At least with Sweden's health experts - I don't get the sense that they are pretending or bullshitting. They admit to making mistakes - and they admit they don't have all the answers. Tegnell recently as been a bit more defensive/stand offish with mainstream media interviewers understandably after being attacked so much the past 4 months.
Everything in the US is poisoned by politics. The media and some normal people want to pretend the Great Dr Fauci is above all that. They watch that clip of him twisting himself into knots not to explicitly say the protesters spread the virus and don’t see a man playing political games. They’ll be more upset that Jim Jordan, the guy asking the questions, was being so mean to Fauci.

I’m glad someone finally had the balls to try and pin the guy down on at least one thing. “Oh I would never presume to tell people what they to do,” he says. He’s been telling people what to do for almost 6 months. What a pussy.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
That is my problem with him. He goes on TV casually saying this and that should be shut down but it is not really his place to make that decision. They should have just muzzled him from doing a billion interviews and kept him behind the scenes.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I saw this ad on a website on an article about masks. Are they going to start pushing out Fauci's goggle mask next?

WeiHpIw.png

Belgorim

Sweden is not home free yet either. The worry here is that all kids are back in school in about two weeks, so we could very well see spikes in about a month. Even though schools might not be a big vector of spread, they still mean a lot more people are using public transportation and there will not be mask usage there. Even the 16+ ages are going back to their physical school locations now (they where not on location during most of spring).

Work should still be from home where it is possible.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The masks thing is a distraction and instrument of control.

The CDC has been claiming for months that COVID would be under control if everyone wore masks. if masks are so useful why didn't that happen weeks after California's mask mandate went into effect on June 18? California is full of busybody liberals who want the government to tell them what to do. I did't see a single article anywhere that said, "California put mask order into effect 3 weeks ago - why are cases still increasing?". If anyone wrote one please post it!

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
That's actually pretty dope, but I think it would fog up?

Depends on how it handles airflow. I wear glasses and if I don't have the glasses hold the mask down my glasses fog up - some people put tape at the top of the mask instead. If the mask has a similar arrangement to be tight around the nose then it should be ok.

Joe T.

That's amusing for the wrong reasons. That's what happens after months of scaring the crap out of people and deliberately turning every issue into a divisive one. Conflict, like fear, sells. As Greg Gutfeld likes to say, the media is trapped in the prison of two ideas (re: always X vs Y, no nuance). "We're in this together"... unless we're talking about lockdowns, masks, protests, funerals/churches, vaccines, case reporting, etc.

Meanwhile, Germany today:

image.jpg

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
That's amusing for the wrong reasons. That's what happens after months of scaring the crap out of people and deliberately turning every issue into a divisive one. Conflict, like fear, sells. As Greg Gutfeld likes to say, the media is trapped in the prison of two ideas (re: always X vs Y, no nuance). "We're in this together"... unless we're talking about lockdowns, masks, protests, funerals/churches, vaccines, case reporting, etc.

Meanwhile, Germany today:

image.jpg
Is that a Gay pride rally?

The masks thing is a distraction and instrument of control.

The CDC has been claiming for months that COVID would be under control if everyone wore masks. if masks are so useful why didn't that happen weeks after California's mask mandate went into effect on June 18? California is full of busybody liberals who want the government to tell them what to do. I did't see a single article anywhere that said, "California put mask order into effect 3 weeks ago - why are cases still increasing?". If anyone wrote one please post it!

Are you honestly, like with a straight face, suggesting that wearing masks won't help slow the spread of a virus that's transmitted mainly through particles expelled from the mouth and nose? It is actually easier for you to believe that this is a grand scheme, a complex scheme put in place by the liberals?

As opposed to the occam's razor-ish explanation that comes from a few hundred years worth of knowledge about respiratory illnesses?

diffusionx

Gold Member
Are you honestly, like with a straight face, suggesting that wearing masks won't help slow the spread of a virus that's transmitted mainly through particles expelled from the mouth and nose? It is actually easier for you to believe that this is a grand scheme, a complex scheme put in place by the liberals?

As opposed to the occam's razor-ish explanation that comes from a few hundred years worth of knowledge about respiratory illnesses?

I am asking why cases in CA didn’t go down after the mask mandate, if masks are so effective in stopping this.

It’s not just that they went down but that they kept going up at the same exponential growth rate we have seen throughout this in other places, and they are now peaking and going down similar to what we have seen throughout this in other places.

Last edited:

mango drank

As the silent re-colonization of NeoGAF by ResetEra refugees goes on, pretty soon, less-than-politically-correct voices like the gentleman you quoted will be drowned out in a sea of bland PC lockstep. Admit it: you'll miss the current GAF. It has character.

Last edited:
As the silent re-colonization of NeoGAF by ResetEra refugees goes on, pretty soon, less-than-politically-correct voices like the gentleman you quoted will be drowned out in a sea of bland PC lockstep. Admit it: you'll miss the current GAF. It has character.

I don't know what you're going on about but I enjoy Neogaf as it is presently. A place where opinions of all sorts are allowed, and then judged and debated accordingly. The last thing I'd want is to have a place where you are stifled even before you're allowed to say your piece.

mango drank

I don't know what you're going on about but I enjoy Neogaf as it is presently. A place where opinions of all sorts are allowed, and then judged and debated accordingly.
Let's hope it stays that way. All's I'm saying is, I don't think the outflux from ResetEra and the influx to NeoGAF in recent times are coincidences.

FireFly

I am asking why cases in CA didn’t go down after the mask mandate, if masks are so effective in stopping this.

It’s not just that they went down but that they kept going up at the same exponential growth rate we have seen throughout this in other places, and they are now peaking and going down similar to what we have seen throughout this in other places.
The question is whether cases would have gone up more if mask wearing had not been in place. If mask wearing decreases R by 10% say, all other things being equal, then its effects could be easily overpowered by other changes in behaviour. I think it's more helpful to think of these things not as some magic bullet, but as a way of increasing the "R budget", allowing for a lessening of the existing economic and social restrictions.

Joe T.

What's the net positive of mandating masks to mitigate the spread of this particular virus? Is it even a net positive? There are downsides to wearing those masks which many government officials have either downplayed or outright ignored which, when combined with a false sense of security, can work against mitigation efforts. Canada's website advises you to wash your hands every single time you touch your face or take on/off and adjust your mask. Let's be real here, almost no one follows that advice because it's impractical.

Japan often gets hoisted up as an example to follow and evidence that masks work yet no one ever mentions that the flu, which isn't quite as contagious, spreads to millions there every winter - they had almost 4.5 million cases in a two week period last year. Does that really communicate the message that masks work?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
What's the net positive of mandating masks to mitigate the spread of this particular virus? Is it even a net positive? There are downsides to wearing those masks which many government officials have either downplayed or outright ignored which, when combined with a false sense of security, can work against mitigation efforts. Canada's website advises you to wash your hands every single time you touch your face or take on/off and adjust your mask. Let's be real here, almost no one follows that advice because it's impractical.

Japan often gets hoisted up as an example to follow and evidence that masks work yet no one ever mentions that the flu, which isn't quite as contagious, spreads to millions there every winter - they had almost 4.5 million cases in a two week period last year. Does that really communicate the message that masks work?

Well, to put it simply, other countries followed the suggestions of scientists who studied previous pandemics, and they are largely OK now. We're still dying by scores here in the US because we didn't. Not sure what else to say.

Look. The best way to mitigate this virus is to not be fat. Simple fact is you are much less likely to get seriously ill if you are healthy. A big part of the reason the US is having such a rough time with COVID is because we’re full of fatties. The bullshit excuses and rationalizations need to stop. Being fat is a choice and is fixable. It isn’t even complicated. It’s simple. Not easy but simple.

So you know what? If wearing masks stops people from stuffing their faces quite as much, I’m all for it.

CloudNull

Banned
Well, to put it simply, other countries followed the suggestions of scientists who studied previous pandemics, and they are largely OK now. We're still dying by scores here in the US because we didn't. Not sure what else to say.

Japan is in a massive second wave just like almost all countries. One of the only countries not seeing a spike is Sweden who did not lock down. This is a virus. You must let it runs its course while protecting the weak. Still little evidence masks have a benefit. Cases would have dropped in LA but they have not and that is because the virus must spread. You cannot stop it. Just like NY. It spread and now it has pretty much ran its course.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Japan is in a massive second wave just like almost all countries. One of the only countries not seeing a spike is Sweden who did not lock down. This is a virus. You must let it runs its course while protecting the weak. Still little evidence masks have a benefit. Cases would have dropped in LA but they have not and that is because the virus must spread. You cannot stop it. Just like NY. It spread and now it has pretty much ran its course.

Well, I'll bet the countries experiencing the predicted second wave will squash it again using the same methods as before. Meanwhile we never really stopped the first wave - just sort of slowed it down for a bit.

CloudNull

Banned
Lol at Japan having a "massive" second wave. Florida alone had 10x the amount of cases and 100x the deaths today.

Florida also has a lot of old people.... sad to say it but it was only a matter of time before it tore through them with the way they were not social distancing. Japan is now at highest 7 day average of total cases.... ever. They are worse off than when they started except for the fact they bought time. They have probably mitigated a lot of deaths. Doesn't look like the new wave is going to stop anytime soon.

On top of all that death per million in Florida is only 300. When this is all said and done I predict it will be average for countries/states to have 400-500 deaths per million. Sweden is around 500 which is terrible but currently they have no second wave.

bigsnack

Look. The best way to mitigate this virus is to not be fat. Simple fact is you are much less likely to get seriously ill if you are healthy. A big part of the reason the US is having such a rough time with COVID is because we’re full of fatties. The bullshit excuses and rationalizations need to stop. Being fat is a choice and is fixable. It isn’t even complicated. It’s simple. Not easy but simple.

So you know what? If wearing masks stops people from stuffing their faces quite as much, I’m all for it.

This is what the staunch mask believers never seem to give credence to, or even acknowledge. Look, I wear my mask when shopping for groceries like a good soldier, but the deaths in this country are from the fact that we are an unhealthy nation to begin with. We (the US) are chock full of people who are lodged firmly and permanently into the risk groups with the highest incidents of hospitalization, complications, and death.

I know someone from work who passed from complications due to COVID19. The dude was a character, a riot, and a damn good ping pong player. He was also 80 pounds overweight and a self proclaimed alcoholic. I’m not one of the folks stomping my feet and blaming the virus directly for his passing, because I know that he would likely still be here if he took care of himself.

Im a firm believer that COVID19 will be done with us when it finishes flowing through the entire population. All of the high case states from the recent weeks appear to at least be at the plateau. I believe that by the time a vaccine is available, it will have already run through the population and May even already be a “Page 7” news story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom