• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistake

Some of you are forgetting that most businesses around this time of year are closed anyway. So saying that their economy is hurting when most people already travelled isn’t much of a point. It’s their way back that might have issues

nush

Some of you are forgetting that most businesses around this time of year are closed anyway. So saying that their economy is hurting when most people already travelled isn’t much of a point. It’s their way back that might have issues
Yes, literally most of the country shuts down for about 2 weeks. It's very different from Christmas and New year in the west which will be most peoples point of reference.

To give an idea of the intense misinformation currently being propagated as news;

There was a video circulating with an alleged Wuhan medical worker on Weibo behind full hazard suit claiming the government was lying and that 100,000 people have been infected and dying on the streets. She tried to fake her Wuhan accent but was ousted as fraud.

She was wearing a bathing cap as part of her biohazard uniform. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Edit: Ah yes there it is, made it to this thread. Trending on Twitter of course.

The "bathing cap" is just a scrub cap. It's not suspicious.

The dialect thing is what I was interested in, though. That is a relief.

AfricanKing

A huge proportion of deadly viruses originate from China and their wet markets. Their Gov need to take a serious look into how these places operate and start shutting them down

MadAnon

So.. Netflix has a very timely new series on pandemics.
giphy.gif

nush

A huge proportion of deadly viruses originate from China and their wet markets. Their Gov need to take a serious look into how these places operate and start shutting them down

Start regulating them. But they are a very traditional part of Chinas life, wet markets and street markets cant just be removed and tell everyone to go to the supermarket instead.

Breakage

Not the first time I've heard of it, but that gutter oil video is truly gross. Imagine being a clueless Westerner eating “authentic” street food cooked with that stuff.
The people manufacturing it just don't care about the health implications.

Last edited:

Stouffers

Banned
Not the first time I've heard of it, but that gutter oil video is truly gross. Imagine being a clueless Westerner eating “authentic” street food cooked with that stuff.
The people manufacturing it just don't care about the health implications.
We have Panda Express. They have Panda Excrete.

plasmasd

I'm sure Chairman Tickles will tell us this is all normal. Just blocking roads.. No big deal.

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
Immediately thought of this:

Far from reality.

Almost there:

This seems more like it:

I wonder business can be blooming if they sold Code Vein type masks. People can protect themselves but in style.

25043038537_bb0a1dcd64_b.jpg

cryptoadam

Banned
Take anything the Chinese gov't says and times it probably by 10 at least.

Lets not pretend they are known for their honesty and openness.

Pallas

Looks like North Korea has the right idea? Was curious how they were managing against the outbreak since they border China and apparently like everything else they do, they do it in extremes.

Last edited:

nush

Same way China having Internment camps is fake news to you?

I think the point is people are throwing all kinds of stuff up on social media right now and linking it to the story for like/comments/shares. A video of a road being dug up, is just that until somone says they are digging the road up because there's a hidden stash of gold underneath. Stuff needs to be verified a lot more.

nikolino840

Looks like North Korea has the right idea? Was curious how they were managing against the outbreak since they border China and apparently like everything else they do, they do it in extremes.

And while the Russian embassy said Friday “there are no restrictions on entry/exit through Vladivostok,” the Vladivostok International Airport website as of Friday afternoon listed the next Air Koryo flight to Pyongyang as having been “delayed.” 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

AfricanKing

The virus is man made.
5 years old.
Read the patent from the link I post.

In fact the patent is here.

We are being taken for a ride. The virus is not a week old, they knew about it over 5 years ago and already had a vaccine ready....

I hope people are not stupid enough to to believe this garbage.

Simple research and quick maths will tell you that the patents you’ve shared is for an older strain of the virus and not this one. Coronavirus has been around for a very long time.

Strains are normally patented for research purposes.

I think the point is people are throwing all kinds of stuff up on social media right now and linking it to the story for like/comments/shares. A video of a road being dug up, is just that until somone says they are digging the road up because there's a hidden stash of gold underneath. Stuff needs to be verified a lot more.

True - we need verification. However Chairman Tickles Chairman Tickles is a known Chinese defender who thinks the Muslim internment camps are fake news.

Last edited:

Pallas

Horrible conditions by the looks of that video, warning but I think those are some of the deceased :(

Apologies if this was posted already.

Banned
1000 bed hospital is fancy, but the real question is how they could supply medical workers shortage that currently happens in there? how many medical professionals from outside the region that willing to work and quarantined there?

nush

1000 bed hospital is fancy, but the real question is how they could supply medical workers shortage that currently happens in there? how many medical professionals from outside the region that willing to work and quarantined there?

When they say "Hospital"they actually mean field hospital which will look something like the buildings with the blue roofs here. They are just prefab buildings used to house construction workers, although as they will be using this for PR purposes they will probably have much nicer looking prefabs to show the world how "Great" China is.
As for the required medical professionals. One of China strengths is to be able to mobilize and just throw labor at a problem. I have no doubt that the shortfall will be made up by medical students pulled from all the relevant universities around China as "Training" for them.

Last edited:

keraj37

that has to be fake. please be fake

Note to myself - once in China, do not eat street food nor bugs!

Horrible conditions by the looks of that video, warning but I think those are some of the deceased :(

Apologies if this was posted already.

If there are really 3 dead bodies there, which seems legit from video - death toll must be much higher, unless those dead in here are not from corona.

Last edited:

nush

now they are saying it came from Snakes?

For the first time ever I'm able to post a "good" Resetera screencap

VBI3S9v.png

Secondly, empty streets are completely normal for this time of year in the big cities in china
26349939807_4a288a6b4a.jpg

2018 one of the busiest roads in Shenzhen China during Chinese new year.

Thirdly, the bat story has been debunked ummm Snakes??

tumblr_m4cmtiNMRY1r5r8duo1_250.gif

Outrunner

now they are saying it came from Snakes?

Yes, the ADN they found in the virus is more likely the one in viruses that snakes carry. Probably virus carried and by snakes had a date and infected humans on the wet market.

The worrying thing is that it's contagious during incubation period, which means that even if you have no symptoms you may be carrying and spreading the virus around.

Breakage

Britain's response to passengers coming from Wuhan seems ridiculously relaxed:

'We were told to ring NHS 111 if we feel ill… that's it!' Passengers arriving at Heathrow say they were just given a leaflet and waved through despite fears over spread of deadly coronavirus

• Holiday-makers travelled from Wuhan, home of the outbreak, to Heathrow today
  • Passengers were given health leaflets but described an otherwise regular arrival

Last edited:

nush

Britain's response to passengers coming from Wuhan seems ridiculously relaxed:

'We were told to ring NHS 111 if we feel ill… that's it!' Passengers arriving at Heathrow say they were just given a leaflet and waved through despite fears over spread of deadly coronavirus

• Holiday-makers travelled from Wuhan, home of the outbreak, to Heathrow today
  • Passengers were given health leaflets but described an otherwise regular arrival

That article was posted on the 22nd, and updated on the 24th. The severity of the outbreak has escalated since then. What are the airports in any country supposed to do? Quarantine everyone coming in on a flight from China for two weeks until they can be sure they are not infected?

Breakage

That article was posted on the 22nd, and updated on the 24th. The severity of the outbreak has escalated since then. What are the airports in any country supposed to do? Quarantine everyone coming in on a flight from China for two weeks until they can be sure they are not infected?
They are coming in specifically from the city where the outbreak began. Surely there should be some sort of special attention should be given to those returning directly from there.

GamingKaiju

Well this could be it GAF we are witnessing the beginning of the end. A virus that can jump between species and an incubation period of 2 weeks hold your loved ones close we get to witness the downfall of civilisation. Time to hit dem games.

nush

They are coming in specifically from the city where the outbreak began. Surely there should be some sort of special attention should be given to those returning directly from there.

When it began it was just a few people, so what's the propotional special attention that should have had 4 days ago where the story and information was new?

Fbh

Well this could be it GAF we are witnessing the beginning of the end. A virus that can jump between species and an incubation period of 2 weeks hold your loved ones close we get to witness the downfall of civilisation. Time to hit dem games.

What I'm not clear on.
Is this a stronger strain or a more deadly version of the corona virus?

Because from my understanding the corona virus isn't "that" bad or deadly. It's mostly bad for very young children and the elderly, as well as people with other medical conditions. But the death rate for young-ish healthy people seems to be very low.

Now, don't take me wrong. It's still dangerous and it spreading on a large scale would result in many deaths, not to mention the massive strain it would put on health care services (hospitals). So it's absolutely serious. But I don't get the "end of civilization" angle

GamingKaiju

What I'm not clear on.
Is this a stronger strain or a more deadly version of the corona virus?

Because from my understanding the corona virus isn't "that" bad or deadly. It's mostly bad for very young children and the elderly, as well as people with other medical conditions. But the death rate for young-ish healthy people seems to be very low.

Now, don't take me wrong. It's still dangerous and it spreading on a large scale would result in many deaths, not to mention the massive strain it would put on health care services (hospitals). So it's absolutely serious. But I don't get the "end of civilization" angle

Sorry dude my bad I missed the /s

But in a semi serious way yes viruses mutate as they move around, and if the stories how true about it being man-made we have no idea how it can evolve in the wild.

As someone with a compromised immune system stuff like this is scary and would probably be fatal for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom