• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Rod Liddle:

For some reason the opinion polls still suggest that, by a large majority, people want more stringent restrictions on our movement than even Chris Whitty is envisaging.

It makes me wonder if the pollsters phrased the question thus: “Do you want another lockdown — or do you want to kill your own grandmother, you selfish bastard?” Because I can’t find anybody who agrees with the current government policy.

Perhaps there are legions of Brits out there — almost certainly liberals, working in the public sector — who believe it is a human right never to die and never to have to work. It may even be new Labour Party policy that, racists aside, nobody should be allowed to die of anything, ever, and that being paid a lot of money for not working is the “new normal”, to use that horrible phrase.

Andy Burnham — a decent politician, for whom I voted when he was standing for the leadership of the Labour Party — and the rest of the metro mayors are screaming for cash. But from where is this money supposed to come, given that we are not doing anything any more? There is a certain blindness to reality at work, I think.

The first lockdown, in March, was surely right. We had to do what we could to protect the population from a virus about which we knew very little. We know a lot more now, both about how to treat the virus and indeed about its remarkable ineffectuality — its kindly determination not to discommode the vast majority of those who catch it.

Perhaps the polls are as they are because — as I suggested in May — people rather enjoy lockdown. Not just the not-working bit, but all the rest of it too. A holiday from reality.

Jezbollah

I remember some study saying that Covid was mutating to be more contagious, but less deadly.

I wonder if this is why the death rate isn't as bad as the first wave.

To a large extent, the care profession has learnt strategies and frameworks on how to provide more effective care.

I also think the numbers of deaths we've seen this time around is due to the fact we're not getting 200,000 cases per day, which is what we had back then.

Chaplain

It’s almost like people aren’t really in control here. Modern people seem to forget that so much of life is outside human control.

I agree. The truth of the matter is death will occur (due to C-19 or not) and there is hardly anything that can really be done to control it:

Edited

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
NYC has had the worst and longest lockdown in the world, with the end result being a destroyed economy, paranoia, total collapse of civilized society, an exponential rise in crime and filth, and the emergence of a brutal totalitarian government to enforce this miserable situation. It does not surprise me at all that deaths across the board have increased greatly.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
There is a control group, but it consists of those receiving the standard treatment, rather than nothing, since it would be unethical not to treat coronavirus patients. As I understand it the hospitals themselves are responsible for making the diagnosis of a coronavirus infection, as it is an opt-in trial. If there are significant methodological flaws, they should be detected when the study is peer reviewed for publication in a medical journal.

Peer review is only the first stage of review (and if you consider Sokal Squared apparently not a great one - albeit medical journals are better than social sciences) - in a proper scientific setting you would then expect others to replicate the experiment to prove or disprove its validity - however I'm sure you'll be aware of the Replication Crisis - people are just not doing those studies anymore, which makes it a lot easier for bad science to pass without scrutiny.

Last edited by a moderator:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Peer review is only the first stage of review (and if you consider Sokal Squared apparently not a great one - albeit medical journals are better than social sciences) - in a proper scientific setting you would then expect others to replicate the experiment to prove or disprove its validity - however I'm sure you'll be aware of the Replication Crisis - people are just not doing those studies anymore, which makes it a lot easier for bad science to pass without scrutiny.

I don't think people are aware of the replication crisis, nor do I think they have any real idea what science is. A lot of people seem to think of "science" more like a religion, whereby the media anoints certain people with certain titles as "science" and treat their proclamations as law. See Fauci.

In reality with regards to this COVID thing, at least in terms of how it has played out, there has been absolutely no science going on. It's been a few people pushing endless lockdown with big tech and the media censoring all other viewpoints, opinions, and criticisms.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think people are aware of the replication crisis, nor do I think they have any real idea what science is. A lot of people seem to think of "science" more like a religion, whereby the media anoints certain people with certain titles as "science" and treat their proclamations as law. See Fauci.

In reality with regards to this COVID thing, at least in terms of how it has played out, there has been absolutely no science going on. It's been a few people pushing endless lockdown with big tech and the media censoring all other viewpoints, opinions, and criticisms.

I would agree that most people are unaware but I would expect gaffers to be more informed on that topic seeing as we're quite a science-aware bunch. The general public though is pretty hopeless and yes you're right that they're fed a bullshit narrative by the media and just lap it up. There IS science going on, there are respectable scientists calling this horseshit out, but for some reason governments are insisting on following only one side, in part a product of groupthink (everyone else is doing it) and in part because they're afraid of being called murderers by the blue tick brigade. I do of course wonder if there's something to all this Great Reset/Build Back Better crap - the timing of all that, plus the COVID and XR and BLM rising to prominence over the last few years with big tech going hard on enforcement of views - something stinks.

There is a control group, but it consists of those receiving the standard treatment, rather than nothing, since it would be unethical not to treat coronavirus patients. As I understand it the hospitals themselves are responsible for making the diagnosis of a coronavirus infection, as it is an opt-in trial. If there are significant methodological flaws, they should be detected when the study is peer reviewed for publication in a medical journal.
It's not a control group if it's based on people who go to a hospital and just so-happen to not be treated by special drugs. That eliminates any information about why the group is being treated the way they are.

It's entirely possible that the drugs in question are the only reason why the mortality rate for the drug treatments matches the ones for those who don't get the drugs.

If you are only giving HCQ or Res to patients who are sicker, then it's no surprise that they don't have a much higher recovery. These drugs are not miracles from on high.

It is not hard to find samples of people talking about flaws like these. Hell you can find them buried under the headlines on a lot of the very left-wing articles touting the failure that started this mini-thread.

FireFly

Well, if you check out clinicaltrials.gov and search for Remdesivir, you can see a number of trials are currently in progress. Here is a summary of a Cochrane meta analysis of two recent RCTs, showing a decrease in recovery times, but no statistically significant improvement in mortality or adverse advents:

(I am not sure the replication crisis is relevant here, since as far as I understand it concerns claims of statistically significant differences that cannot later be replicated. This happens because if your threshold for statistical significance (p value) is 0.95 say, then it means there is a 5% chance the result would have occurred by chance. Well, if you do 100 experiments then we would expect to see 5 successes on this metric! And if the other 95 (failed) experiments don't get published, because failures are not interesting to journals, then it looks like there is a positive effect, when really there is none. But this is an issue with false positives, not false negatives).

It's not a control group if it's based on people who go to a hospital and just so-happen to not be treated by special drugs. That eliminates any information about why the group is being treated the way they are.

It's entirely possible that the drugs in question are the only reason why the mortality rate for the drug treatments matches the ones for those who don't get the drugs.

If you are only giving HCQ or Res to patients who are sicker, then it's no surprise that they don't have a much higher recovery. These drugs are not miracles from on high.

It is not hard to find samples of people talking about flaws like these. Hell you can find them buried under the headlines on a lot of the very left-wing articles touting the failure that started this mini-thread.
That's exactly why the hospitals don't get to decide who gets which treatment. Rather treatment groups are randomized to ensure that treatments are not allocated based on characteristics of the individuals themselves (e.g older people get the "new" treatment).

Joe T.

Canadians pushing back against the government and the propaganda machine of mainstream media, constitutional lawyer Rocco Galati taking shots at Justin Trudeau, Doug Ford and John Tory at the Toronto protest yesterday:

Long story short: "Stop lying!"

BigBooper

Thinking I probably have it, or at least another flulike. Had a headache Saturday morning that turned into extreme fatigue, chills, and fever by about 6pm. Hanging onto a 101 fever and chills right now.

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
Thinking I probably have it, or at least another flulike. Had a headache Saturday morning that turned into extreme fatigue, chills, and fever by about 6pm. Hanging onto a 101 fever and chills right now.
I hope you have your affairs in order. I've been told for months that contracting this means certain death.

(But seriously, get well soon.)

pel1300

"Wuhan, the city at the center of the coronavirus pandemic, had the most tourists of any Chinese city during a public holiday in October. Wuhan is overcoming its pandemic past and benefiting from its hero-city status to become a top travel destination." (10/17/20)

I swear...the WSJ comments section has the most retards I've seen since a Trevor Noah video.

Fuckin hell I'm legit annoyed at the stupidity of the NPCs in that video drinking the pro-China ant-USA koolaid

I remember some study saying that Covid was mutating to be more contagious, but less deadly.

There is that rumor and we are no longer locking sick old people at nursing home. Also doctors need ot learn how to treat it as it is a novel virus

Liljagare

There is that rumor and we are no longer locking sick old people at nursing home. Also doctors need ot learn how to treat it as it is a novel virus

Norway just quarantined 1000 people after a new outbreak with 35 infected, first signal is that its a mutation that spreads easier.

Though, this is by observation only by the doctors, tests of the strain are underway, but not concluded.

The world should really hold China accountable one way or another. Their disgusting behavior / eating habits caused a global pandemic with 300k deaths or whatever?

Meanwhile in Belgium the whole country is having to pay for the hell hole Brussels immigrant neighborhoods causing massive spikes in the corona numbers.

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
I just went through a "virtual" health inspection for the kitchen I run. It was the silliest thing i've ever been through. they want to see our coolers and stuff and I'm done. Lasted 3 minutes.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I just went through a "virtual" health inspection for the kitchen I run. It was the silliest thing i've ever been through. they want to see our coolers and stuff and I'm done. Lasted 3 minutes.
You dispose of bodies for a living?

Jooxed

Gold Member
You dispose of bodies for a living?

OHoLBvZ.jpg

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Norway just quarantined 1000 people after a new outbreak with 35 infected, first signal is that its a mutation that spreads easier.

Though, this is by observation only by the doctors, tests of the strain are underway, but not concluded.
Umm. What are you talking about? 35 people test positive and somehow you think this means there is a new strain? Because 35 people got it? That is your evidence? 35 people? Is this still science or are we just messing around now?

Last edited:

Joe T.

This is fantastic :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It's brilliant use of memetics because it will connect with a large audience unwilling to seek out the facts and make up their own mind, but there's a lot of projection and outright lies in that video. It's doing much more harm than good for those unwilling to look at it critically.

Quotation-Neil-deGrasse-Tyson-Knowing-how-to-think-empowers-you-far-beyond-those-who-49-71-31.jpg

diffusionx

Gold Member
“I swear I totally thought the camera was off guys.”

Another member of the media that has spent years talking about his moral superiority over us peasants shown to be a disgusting pervert.

HoodWinked

it is probably that but also better treatment. remdesivir reduces mortality by 30-50% and dexamethasone reduced mortality by 30% for those on mechanical ventilation (the most serious cases).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom