• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think Fauci is malicious. He’s just a human who’s been tasked with a superhuman responsibility.
I don’t think malicious is the word. He’s self absorbed. He’s fallen in love with all this attention. His problem is that, like all people, the microscope of that attention will reveal character flaws. Some of his quotes come off as incredibly arrogant. But whenever anyone sort of hints that he’s made a mistake or question him, he pretends he’s just a humble man of science. He’s a weasel.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It looks like given the phased rollout of the vaccine in my state I fall into the group getting it next to last (young, no underlying conditions, IT worker I.E. can work from home). Darn.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
b09bac2e68000932ad7b1651073b74fe.png

Airbus Jr

Banned
I don’t think malicious is the word. He’s self absorbed. He’s fallen in love with all this attention. His problem is that, like all people, the microscope of that attention will reveal character flaws. Some of his quotes come off as incredibly arrogant. But whenever anyone sort of hints that he’s made a mistake or question him, he pretends he’s just a humble man of science. He’s a weasel.
Indeed

I think every Trump voters such as you shares the same feelings and sentiment toward health workers and medical expert opinion in general

4.491 people in US dead in the the last 24 hours, dont worry its just a flu, ignore social distance guidelines and mask is useless 👍

Last edited:

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
Indeed

I think every Trump voters such as you shares the same feelings and sentiment toward health workers and medical expert opinion in general

4.491 people in US dead today, dont worry its just a flu, ignore social distance guidelines and mask is useless 👍
Masks are being used, but you still have 4,491 people dead. It's a failed strategy.

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
Yes a respiratory filter is not so effective in contamining airborne thread

So the apropriate response is to wear nothing at all
That's a false dilemma and the situation is more complex than a or b. But the more intelligent solution would appear to be abandoning the failed solution and looking to other alternatives. Masks are part of this weird panic/compromise response that hasn't alleviated death or suffering and on the other side has created extra death and suffering. The response needed to be rooted in rationality and needed to be flexible. None of that has happened. But when someone is wrong about something, that must be admitted before someone can move onto something else. People are dug into their positions, they're blaming other people, and that is going to be the enemy of a smart response. Of course when the majority of transmission is occuring in people's homes where they are not wearing masks, then yes masks are useless.

Airbus Jr

Banned
That's a false dilemma and the situation is more complex than a or b. But the more intelligent solution would appear to be abandoning the failed solution and looking to other alternatives.
Yeah same here

Im also waiting for an explanation on that other alternatives youre talking about

Perhaps you can explain it to the rest of us, we would be glad to hear it

Last edited:

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
Yeah same here

Im also waiting for that better alternatives youre talking about

Perhaps if you can explain about it to the rest of us, we would be glad to hear it
Crank the oldie but goodies full of vitamin D. Probably everybody. Nobody pursued this strategy so it's speculative, but the studies done of the relation of vit. D deficiency to covid are pretty solid. Instead of waiting a year+ for a vaccine that's going to produce similar results, this was available from the get-go. No one did because no one else did, though. This has been a thorough exercise in mass hysteria, cowardice, and self-preservation. That was a likely solution, but once everyone makes up their mind about what works and doesn't, moving in that new direction becomes impossible. This relates to the attitude of people trying to control everything. That was the original sin that has been baked into us over thousands of years now. Hence that is the actual core problem. But when you try to tell people that their entire way of perceiving the world is wrong and their attitude about controlling themselves, others, and the universe is actually a futile, insane pursuit, you're not going to gather a lot of followers. Nobody wants to hear it because it's difficult to absorb. So they continue muddling. That is the way it has to be.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Crank the oldie but goodies full of vitamin D. Probably everybody. Nobody pursued this strategy so it's speculative, but the studies done of the relation of vit. D deficiency to covid are pretty solid. Instead of waiting a year+ for a vaccine that's going to produce similar results, this was available from the get-go. No one did because no one else did, though. This has been a thorough exercise in mass hysteria, cowardice, and self-preservation. That was a likely solution, but once everyone makes up their mind about what works and doesn't, moving in that new direction becomes impossible. This relates to the attitude of people trying to control everything. That was the original sin that has been baked into us over thousands of years now. Hence that is the actual core problem. But when you try to tell people that their entire way of perceiving the world is wrong and their attitude about controlling themselves, others, and the universe is actually a futile, insane pursuit, you're not going to gather a lot of followers. Nobody wants to hear it because it's difficult to absorb. So they continue muddling. That is the way it has to be.

So turns out vitamin D, is more than enough to combat an ongoing heavily mutated virus

I was wondering whats the point of doctors administering drugs like Remdisivir, Favipiravir, Dexamethasone, plasma therapy etc for Covid 19 patients

Surely a daily dose consumption of Vitamin D is more than enough to beat it?

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Did they now. Guess you saw all the bodies.

Ps. I don't give a rat's ass about Trump so nice try trying to make this about politics.
Ah yes those numbers must be all lies and fake

Because my friend from neogaf carlos said so

Carlos source

Trust me bro

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Trust your government. They're always honest.

The same government where you impeached your President twice and then allegedly elected a guy who feels up and sniffs little girls.
Indeed i agree with you carlos all these dead people from covid 19 are all fake, including my friend who work in hospital and his daugther who both dead last year after tested positives

Their death are nothing but part of government conspiracies

Best thing to do is carry on and pretend none of this really happened

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Indeed i agree with you carlos all these dead people from covid 19 are all fake, including my friend who work in hospital and his daugther who both dead last year after tested positives

Their death are nothing but part of government conspiracies

Best thing to do is carry on and pretend nothing of this really happened

I like the way you strawman.

But keep on believing everything your government says and never ask questions. Just blindly follow anything any authority ever tells you cuz they have absolute power and they're never wrong about anything. They're infallible, they're never wrong, and they never lie, they're angels and above things such as corruption.

As people have stated many times in this thread already, there are many good reasons for people to be questioning things. But you seem to want everyone to just bury their heads in the sand and believe every little thing they tell us.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I like the way you strawman.

But keep on believing everything your government says and never ask questions. Just blindly follow anything any authority ever tells you cuz they have absolute power and they're never wrong about anything. They're infallible, they're never wrong, and they never lie, they're angels and above things such as corruption.

As people have stated many times in this thread already, there are many good reasons for people to be questioning things. But you seem to want everyone to just bury their heads in the sand and believe every little thing they tell us.

People are busy with preserving themselves from this disease and everyone is trying to do their best in helping each other..in figuring out how to solve this problem...

But surely the most important thing to you right now is how this is all about government conspiracies and how we should not trust each other by dividing and accusing each other....

By ignoring the elephant in the room...in which such circumstances shouldve solve the problem itself...and suddenly out of nowhere hopefully the virus will evaporates into thin air

Last edited:
Indeed

4.491 people in US dead in the the last 24 hours, dont worry its just a flu, ignore social distance guidelines and mask is useless 👍
We are doing all the things you want us to do. They are not working. That’s why people have to say “well it would be worse”. Maybe they’re right. But that is not really being borne out by reality. New York and California have a lot of restrictions. Florida and Texas have comparatively few. And yet they seem to be in exactly the same position.

So to me it seems like you’re just screaming at the wind. “Wear the masks”! We are. They suck. Public health experts said and still say this is the “key” to controlling the virus. They’re wrong. Obviously. I don’t know why they keep saying that. Maybe it helps, but it’s not a key to anything.

People that are extremely big on mask wearing like to lash out at others because they are disappointed the masks didn’t work better. So am I. But you need to be upset with the people who promised you they were the answer.

Last edited:

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
So turns out vitamin D, is more than enough to combat an ongoing heavily mutated virus

I was wondering whats the point of doctors administering drugs like Remdisivir, Favipiravir, Dexamethasone, plasma therapy etc for Covid 19 patients

Probably in a great many cases, yes.

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
Nice bit of compilation that pulls together 30 studies showing lockdowns have had little to no effect and are overall harmful.

Choice quotes included, such as:

“there is no evidence that more restrictive nonpharmaceutical interventions (“lockdowns”) contributed substantially to bending the curve of new cases in England, France, Germany, Iran, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, or the United States in early 2020”
"stay at home orders, closure of all non-essential businesses and requiring the wearing of facemasks or coverings in public was not associated with any independent additional impact”
"general social distancing was also projected to reduce the number of cases but increase the total number of deaths compared with social distancing of over 70 only”

The point is that if you're doing something and it's not working, do something else. This is kind of a "no duh" point.
People act like if you notice the masks are not working as advertised, it’s because you are rooting for masks to fail. I’m not happy masks aren’t working. It would be great if they were the key to all this. They just aren’t. Whether they are working a little bit or not, they were pushed as the answer to getting this under control. They have proven to not be.

Airbus Jr

Banned
You know when they pull back the curtain and you see how things are made?

Thats whats on your face to protect you from the killer virus.

And you have to dig a video...of bunch of mask...made in poor unsanitary third world country?

So that should help with your goal...in encouraging people not to wear mask in public place yes?

Airbus Jr

Banned
We are doing all the things you want us to do. They are not working. That’s why people have to say “well it would be worse”. Maybe they’re right. But that is not really being borne out by reality. New York and California have a lot of restrictions. Florida and Texas have comparatively few. And yet they seem to be in exactly the same position.
Things are not working out because of the people disobeying safety guidelines not because of the one following the rules

People that felt like theyre above the laws and ignores safety guidelines

Last edited:
2000iu vitamin d and you still get subpar blood values, at least some people do others might be sufficient. 10,000iu is not recommended long term except to raise levels to adequate levels at doctor's supervision, iirc.
Most places say to try not to exceed 4000iu daily for long term use.

When deaths were evaluated on the basis of vitamin D deficiency (serum 25-OH-D <20 ng/mL), the fatality rate was 21%, compared to only 3% for those with higher levels.
More striking was that vitamin D deficiency was found in 97% of severely ill patients who required ICU admission but in only 33% of asymptomatic cases, suggesting that low levels are a necessary component of severe COVID-19.
Rastogi and colleagues treated 40 individuals with mild COVID-19 and vitamin D deficiency (25-OH-D <20 ng/mL) with either placebo or 420,000 IU of cholecalciferol (vitamin D3) in a fast-acting nano-emulsion divided over seven days, i.e., 60,000 IU (1,500 μg) per day. The results showed that supplementation helped clear the virus faster -- 63% of the treated patients tested negative for SARS-CoV-2 by the 14th day compared to only 21% of the placebo group.
Castillo's team in Cordoba, Spain, randomized 76 hospitalized COVID-19 patients in a 2:1 ratio to receive either open-label calcifediol or no supplementation, in addition to standard care. The intervention group received 1,064 μg of this fast-acting vitamin D analogue in the first week three times more potent than vitamin D3, followed by 266 μg weekly thereafter. Of the treated patients, only 2% (1 out of 50) needed ICU admission compared to 50% (13 of 26) of the untreated group.

FireFly

The point is that if you're doing something and it's not working, do something else. This is kind of a "no duh" point.
Suppose widespread mask wearing reduces transmission of the virus by 10%. If the reproductive number is 1.05, with the masks in play, then cases, deaths and hospitalisations will continue to double at regular intervals. So this looks like a complete failure. On the other hand if the reproductive number is 0.95 with masks in play, then as a result of mask wearing, cases deaths and hospitalisations will halve at regular intervals. That looks like a complete success.

So we can't judge whether an intervention is effective, by whether it can bring us to the finish line.

cryptoadam

Banned
And you have to dig a video...of bunch of mask...made in poor unsanitary third world country?

So that should help with your goal...in encouraging people not to wear mask in public place yes?
I wear mask in public places, been doing it since March, probably when you were calling people hoarders and listening to your experts that told everyone not to wear masks.

Just showing where the beef comes from.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I wear mask in public places, been doing it since March, probably when you were calling people hoarders and listening to your experts that told everyone not to wear masks.

Just showing where the beef comes from.
I never listened to anyone telling me not to wear mask

You should probably keep doing that for your own safety

Last edited:

Joe T.

Where do you get the idea that everything you say is the absolute knock-out argument that makes me shake down to my boots and cry myself to sleep? Is that supposed to make you feel like you made a valid point?
'Scared of', 'Struck a nerve', for fucks sake.

You decide for yourself what you want to do, but you take your spare time to proselytize others about what the majority is doing or thinking with apparently crackpot talking points and posting 'data' and 'facts' that say exactly what you want them to say, leaving out important information. I wouldn't give a shit about it but you have been dishonest about your facts, that is potentially harmful to others. I don't give a shit about arguing for numbers, I am interested in not getting it or should I not be affected not spreading it. Your arguments are discompassionate to say the least and it's not all about death either, reduced lung functionality or loss of intelligence have been reported, by reputable sources.

Let me know how well your internet stance carries over to life outside the home, are you wearing a mask, where are you wearing a mask, where are you not wearing a mask?

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum to you as far as pro/anti "public health" measures are concerned and you sided with me without realizing it. You dismissed my example of Tanzania by bringing up their lack of testing, effectively espousing my point of view (re: we wouldn't even know anything was out of the ordinary without the PCR fraud).

It doesn't get much clearer than that.

The continued attempt to dismiss official government sources is beyond transparent at this point, you can drop the act. The data speaks for itself and I don't need to cherry pick anything to make my point. You do. These days adding context to government-released numbers is like throwing a vampire into the sunlight, it's fascinating to watch it.

As for my mask wearing, the freedom to decide for myself has been taken away from me because irrational fear has paralyzed the masses. I can't step outside after 8pm without risking a $1,550 fine. I can't enter stores, the few that remain open anyway, without waiting in line and wearing a mask because the owner/management's worried about $6,000 fines/closure. Not to mention the shriekers that believe you're putting their lives in danger, not at all concerned about traumatizing young children in the process.

The media-induced panic has given governments the excuse to make something as simple as stepping out for a coffee a crime. Knowledge didn't cause that, ignorance did. A local offering a lighter, though similar view of the stupidity unfolding locally:

Fear has killed rational thinking.

I'm as skeptical as they come and even I played it safe early on, so if they got me then the much less skeptical masses never stood a chance. Nothing wrong with admitting you got fooled. Live and learn. Or don't.

Eventually everyone's going to get slapped in the face with the truth and the scientific community is going to take a beating for not doing more to bring it to our attention. Dr. Wolfgang Wodarg got attacked for it and if there's any justice in this world his defamation case against "fact checkers" will open the floodgates.

A Portugal court ruling already found the PCR tests were unreliable for detecting infectious cases and there's an extensive review available below for anyone wanting to dig into the details as provided by some 'random nobodies':

Banned
3% vaccinated in the US. And shortages of the vaccine coming. I don’t se how we will be anywhere near 75% of the population anytime soon

carlosrox

Banned
Serious question:

How do you guys distinguish between what is a lie and what is the truth when you're being told things by the media and the government?

Once you establish there are liars, as evidenced by you guys having to impeach your President twice (among many other examples throughout history, recent or otherwise WORLD WIDE), how do you distinguish between the lies and the truth?

Politicians have been caught with their pants down on numerous occasions not practicing what they preach. Why would they not follow guidelines when one would assume they have better knowledge of what's going on than the average person?

Stuff like this doesn't at the very least make you question what we're being told? I don't know how many fucking times this needs to be said.

You. Can't. Trust. Everything. They. Say.

You. Just. Can't.

This is why all those stats you guys share like fucking baseball cards don't mean diddly shit to me. Am I supposed to believe it just cuz they say so??

Last edited:

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
Suppose widespread mask wearing reduces transmission of the virus by 10%. If the reproductive number is 1.05, with the masks in play, then cases, deaths and hospitalisations will continue to double at regular intervals. So this looks like a complete failure. On the other hand if the reproductive number is 0.95 with masks in play, then as a result of mask wearing, cases deaths and hospitalisations will halve at regular intervals. That looks like a complete success.

So we can't judge whether an intervention is effective, by whether it can bring us to the finish line.
Masks might help somewhat in certain circumstances, if it's the right mask, etc. etc. But they are a part of a larger strategy that has failed in the way masks have been substituted for more efficacious measures, thus playing a role in an entirely counterproductive response. That response could overall be described as panic or mass hysteria. Science and rationality need to be driving the decisions, and the science is not there to support our current mask mania.

Things are not working out because of the people disobeying safety guidelines not because of the one following the rules

People that felt like theyre above the laws and ignores safety guidelines
Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better. The idea that the rules aren’t actually enough to do anything meaningful is something you just refuse to consider. Even though places with hard restrictions and places with soft restrictions are doing basically the same.

You’re dug in. And you’ll never change. Regardless of the facts laid out before you.

Last edited:

Stouffers

Banned
Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better. The idea that the rules aren’t actually enough to do anything meaningful is something you just refuse to consider. Even though places with hard restrictions and places with soft restrictions are doing basically the same.

You’re dug in. And you’ll never change. Regardless of the facts laid out before you.

You also sound pretty dug in, buddy

bigsnack

This plus the vaccine should help stomp this thing relatively soon. At least it should suppress it enough for people to realize we are never eliminating this virus and will have to live with it forever. Vaccine, vitamin D, and less sugar consumption. DO IT.

Joe T.

- The reports may indicate that common side effects from mRNA vaccines, such as fever and nausea, may have led to deaths in some frail patients, says chief physician Sigurd Hortemo in the Norwegian Medicines Agency.

As a result, both the National Institute of Public Health and the Norwegian Medicines Agency have changed the coronary vaccination guide with new advice for this group.

- If you are very frail, you should probably not be vaccinated, said subject director Steinar Madsen in the Norwegian Medicines Agency at a webinar on coronary vaccine for journalists on Thursday.

He emphasizes over NRK that these cases are rare, and that many thousands of frail people have been vaccinated without a fatal outcome.

This is in line with the recommendations that came from FHI earlier this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom