• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 PS3 details ("exclusive" interactive comic, all current DLC included)

X-Frame

I love ME1's story, but I'd rather not play it again. I hate loathe the combat and boring side missions (on other planets, like Citadel ones).

I only need to play it to get the choices needed to import to ME2. With the PS3 version, if I could bypass that I'd be so down.

I want to see just how involved the choices are for the comics. Hopefully it's not just the main ones.

2real4tv

been wanting to play ME2 so I will pick up the ps3 version would of been better if it was coming out at the end of the year.

Loudninja

Some info from OPM:
* Casy Hudson calls the comic a save game generator.

* Nearly $100 of additional content,all 3 major expansion packs and over a doze on smaller Pieces of DLC altogether adds up to approximately 20 hours of additional gameplay.

* The PS3 version will also feature 3 years worth of engine updates and every patch release for the game.

* The developers promise that they are not taking any shortcuts"Oftentimes when you got to the PS3 you see stuff like down-resing and using a smaller than 720p resolution to try and get back some of the framerate.We haven't done that says producer Jesse Houston,we really wanted to try to make it as good, if not better than the Xbox version."

Most of this goes with out saying but it good to hear anyways.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
*Nearly $100 of additional content,all 3 major expansion packs and over a doze on smaller Pieces of DLC altogether adds up to approximately 20 hours of additional gameplay.

buuuuuuuuuulshit.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Sounds good. I hope it ends up being a good port since it's my only hope for Mass Effect action in the near future.

this made me laugh:
3 major expansion packs

major expansion packs? I've played major expansion packs and nothing they've released would qualify

I put 85+ hours into ME2, but i take my time with everything. I like to explore everything, and examine all of the little details. I think i had 100 hours into the first Mass Effect. :lol

KAL2006

Banned
so what is this interactive comic, it would make sense if it was a interactive comic of Mass Effect 1 story, all the decisions you made in the comic can be imported into Mass Effect 2.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Loudninja said:
Yeah I believe so but that's what they said.Sorry if its inaccurate.

I'm sure that's what Bioware said, but I think you'd have a hard time getting 10 hours out of the DLC, even if you took your time.

I love how they're listing 3 years of title updates/patches as a feature. Come on. Including the DLC is great for PS3 owners, though - shame there's no actual new DLC included either. I presume future stuff will be released day and date, though.

So, the 3 packs are, presumably...
Overlord
Kasumi's Stolen Memory
Lair of the Shadow Broker

So, based on the added content, this is an external port, not from the ME2 team?

Lakitu

st5fu
Gillian Seed said:
I put 85+ hours into ME2, but i take my time with everything. I like to explore everything, and examine all of the little details. I think i had 100 hours into the first Mass Effect. :lol

I always take my sweet time with the games, I just love to soak in the atmosphere and art design of certain planets. I love both games. ME 1 moreso for it's RPG elements but still.

Loudninja

Snuggler said:
I'm sure that's what Bioware said, but I think you'd have a hard time getting 10 hours out of the DLC, even if you took your time.
Yeah, I am not sure if it was Bioware of OPM that said that.

Pooya

APZonerunner said:
So, based on the added content, this is an external port, not from the ME2 team?
Bioware almost never make late ports of their games internally.
for example Mass Effect 1 PC, Jade Empire PC, Dragon Age for consoles, all were outsourced, not sure about KOTOR1 PC.

subversus said:
yes, they have a separate dlc team.

Based on something somebody involved with ME has said to me, that team is almost certainly working on another expansion/DLC. Probably someone else within EA, I reckon.

Pooya

APZonerunner said:
Based on something somebody involved with ME has said to me, that team is almost certainly working on another expansion/DLC. Probably someone else within EA, I reckon.

http://ca.linkedin.com/in/jhouston

sure they are
BioWare :
-> Mass Effect 2 : Japanese (Project Lead)
-> Mass Effect 2 : PS3 (Project Lead)
-> Mass Effect 3 (Producer)
-> Unannounced BioWare DLC (Producer)
-> Mass Effect 2 (Producer)
-> Unannounced Bioware Title (Art Producer)

duckroll

Lol. Considering all he works on is ME stuff, that's pretty much certainly a new ME2 DLC, and the soon-to-be-announced no-ME3 Mass Effect game.

subversus

I actually envy ps3 owners because they'll get all content at once while I'm sitting with blue balls after every finished dlc. And no, I can't wait and buy them all, I'm weak like that. It's like waiting for a new episode every week instead of buying the whole season on blu-ray afterwards.

By the way I'm interested in how they'll handle DLC weapons progression since they can't just send in powerful ones at the beginning of the game (they can off course but this won't be right).

Pooya

subversus said:
By the way I'm interested in how they'll handle DLC weapons progression since they can't just send in powerful ones at the beginning of the game (they can off course but this won't be right).

easy, you reach a certain level or finish a side quest, bam! "you received a new message at your private terminal!" an email from Illusive Man!.

Mindlog

miladesn said:
easy, you reach a certain level or finish a side quest, bam! "you received a new message at your private terminal!" an email from Illusive Man!.

That's what already happens.

It would be neat if they were insanity weapon rewards. A Geth rifle unlocks if you beat a mission on hardcore or higher. The rifle and shotgun should unlock on insanity.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Has anyone seen this thing running yet? Any word on the framerate?

Wallach

subversus said:
I actually envy ps3 owners because they'll get all content at once while I'm sitting with blue balls after every finished dlc. And no, I can't wait and buy them all, I'm weak like that. It's like waiting for a new episode every week instead of buying the whole season on blu-ray afterwards.

I'm pretty sure they will give those items in full at the start of the game.

onken

Loudninja said:
The developers promise that they are not taking any shortcuts"Oftentimes when you got to the PS3 you see stuff like down-resing and using a smaller than 720p resolution to try and get back some of the framerate.We haven't done that says producer Jesse Houston,we really wanted to try to make it as good, if not better than the Xbox version.".

Yeah I'll believe it when I see it. No PC and I loved the first one so unfortunately I'll probably end up buying this even if the port is total ass.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
recklessmind said:
Has anyone seen this thing running yet? Any word on the framerate?

Nobody has seen anything at all.

Three years worth of engine updates huh. I'll be cheesed out of principle if it looks better than the PC version.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
lol, no worries about it looking better than PC

I'll be happy with it looking greater than or ( most likely) equal to the 360 version. ME2 360 was pretty solid and wasn't a total mess like ME1 360. That will be fine. Let's hope it'll be Bioware's best Playstation port yet!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
EatChildren said:
Nobody has seen anything at all.

Three years worth of engine updates huh. I'll be cheesed out of principle if it looks better than the PC version.
Unless Bioware suddenly became magicians, I wouldn't worry about that. Devs consistently struggle to match their UE3 performance on 360 on the PS3.

subversus

Stallion Free said:
Unless Bioware suddenly became magicians, I wouldn't worry about that. Devs consistently struggle to match their UE3 performance on 360 on the PS3.

Well, they could implement some lightning tricks like sunshafts for example. It's a relatively new UE3 feature.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Stallion Free said:

I'm not so much concerned about overall IQ (AA, AF, resolution, texture res, etc), moreso any other little bells and whistles they might get working that are available in the more recent revisions of UE3.

Its frustrating, but I'm a stickler for having the 'complete' version of something, graphically anyway. I means little in the long run, but I'll be cranky if the PS3 version has anything that the PC version does not.

Like, if the CGI is re-rendered in a higher resolution thanks to the extra space of the Bluray, I'll seriously consider the possibility of finding those bik files and seeing if they an replace the ones in the standard PC release :lol.

One of the few things I'm anal about.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
StuBurns said:
Is MLAA working in UE3 on PS3?

I doubt it, and even if it were, the chance that it'll be comparable to Sony's far more refined method that's doing the rounds among their first-party stable is slim at best. Santa Monica provided an amazing starting point and it's only going to get better as the other studios get their hands on it (Naughty Dog in particular).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
EatChildren said:
I'm not so much concerned about overall IQ (AA, AF, resolution, texture res, etc), moreso any other little bells and whistles they might get working that are available in the more recent revisions of UE3.

Its frustrating, but I'm a stickler for having the 'complete' version of something, graphically anyway. I means little in the long run, but I'll be cranky if the PS3 version has anything that the PC version does not.

Like, if the CGI is re-rendered in a higher resolution thanks to the extra space of the Bluray, I'll seriously consider the possibility of finding those bik files and seeing if they an replace the ones in the standard PC release :lol.

Oh I would certainly grab the higher-res bik files too, but all signs point to jackshit visual improvements. I mean Bioshock PS3 got actual new content, but absolutely nothing in terms of visual effects added. Also, new UE3 features are rarely added that quickly. I think it took a little over a year before Epic's built in baked lighting was used in a UE3 game.

EatChildren said:

If they do re-render the CGI, they really should release a PC patch and I'm sure they will be pressured by fans to do so. The compression of those short videos completely defeat their purpose. If there is higher quality renders out their they should be released on the PC.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Felix Lighter said:
If they do re-render the CGI, they really should release a PC patch and I'm sure they will be pressured by fans to do so. The compression of those short videos completely defeat their purpose. If there is higher quality renders out their they should be released on the PC.
I'm sure Blur (the company that made them) could render them out in 1080p. Why they wouldn't have done it for PC is beyond me. Devs seem to forget that we don't game at a pathetic 720p.

JaseC said:
I doubt it, and even if it were, the chance that it'll be comparable to Sony's far more refined method that's doing the rounds among their first-party stable is slim at best. Santa Monica provided an amazing starting point and it's only going to get better as the other studios get their hands on it (Naughty Dog in particular).

I can't wait to see it in The Last Guardian.

My first run in mass effect 2 was easily 45+ hours because I didn't rush anything, not a lot of that was farming for minerals either, or with any dlc outside of the cerberus network extras, still need to buy and play that stuff for my 2nd insane run.

EatChildren

I'm almost certain the low quality CGI was mostly due to conserving disk space on the 360. Obviously not an issue for PC, but using the same files is far less work than re-rendering them.

Replacing the bik files on PC, should the PS3 version have them re-rendered, should be be as easy as copy/paste. Any other bells and whistles will be a bigger problem I'd think.

Assuming there are any. Comments like 'three years worth of engine updates', and the original Amazon listing for the package stating something like 'improved graphics', lead me to believe some tweaks and/or additions will be in this release.

Pooya

Stallion Free said:
I'm sure Blur (the company that made them) could render them out in 1080p. Why they wouldn't have done it for PC is beyond me. Devs seem to forget that we don't game at a pathetic 720p.
BINK doesn't support 1080p resolution, that's why. UE3 has built in support for Bink, they won't use anything else, I assure you! :p

subversus

My first run lasted 37 hours, I didn't rush anything and I did every quest, discovered every planet.

EatChildren

miladesn said:
BINK doesn't support 1080p resolution, that's why. UE3 has built in support for Bink, they won't use anything else, I assure you! :p

720p wouldn't be a huge problem if they were at least clean. Even at 720p the Mass Effect 2 CGI is chock full of gross compression artifacts and ugly colouring.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
miladesn said:

I have used Radtools to upscale and render the original Knights of the Old Republic bink files to 1080p. I'm pretty sure bink supports it. Unless all of that was in my imagination.

Then again, you seem to know a lot, continue on.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Loading screens and the Mission Complete screen were abysmally low rez too. They just don't give two shits.

EatChildren

Stallion Free said:

I have used Radtools to upscale and render the original Knights of the Old Republic bink files to 1080p. I'm pretty sure bink supports it. Unless all of that was in my imagination.

According to their website;

Bink videos look amazing! Bink can scale its data rate from 1200 kps for 1280x720p videos down to 75 kps for Nintendo DS videos. Bink will always make the best possible video for your data rate.

Lyphen said:
Loading screens and the Mission Complete screen were abysmally low rez too. They just don't give two shits.

They're all 720p, they're just horribly compressed.

If they fixed the self shadowing and z fighting on the PS3, that would certainly be a noticeable improvement that I would love to see on all platforms.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
EatChildren said:
According to their website;
Oh, so I was imagining when I used their tools.

They are just giving examples in that statement on their website. Why the fuck would they be limited to 720p? I was setting videos to 10000kbps and you can enter whatever resolution you want to render the video out to. It's an incredibly simple program.

Pooya

Stallion Free said:

console codec does not, documentation is on their site.

EatChildren said:
720p wouldn't be a huge problem if they were at least clean. Even at 720p the Mass Effect 2 CGI is chock full of gross compression artifacts and ugly colouring.
macro blocking comes with bink, even if you push for maximum possible bit rate (yeah, there is a limit), it's ancient MPEG2 codec, for HD content and limited bit rate there is it will never achieve clear PQ. Some devs (see Dead Rising 2 videos) do much better than other with bink though, through post processing effects and other adjustments they can hide most of the blockings but it really depends on the content of the scene and what color palette it has.

Top Bottom