• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 - Citadel DLC. I've never laughed so much at a videogame. Or cried.

Ralemont

not me
I never touched ME3's multiplayer lol. That kinda screwed me out of the green ending lol.

Did you import? It shouldn't require MP to get Synthesis, as High EMS Destroy has a higher EMS requirement and doesn't require it...

When I did my first play through of ME3 decided to start from the first game and just do a straight through line of one after the other. Took me about 2 months and around 120ish hours. I didn't play any other games during that time. My wife got so invested in the story watching. I played on PS3 and while ME2 was my favorite overall (the dlc is incredible) and one of my top 3 games of all time, I was still amazingly happy with 3. See when I did my first play through of ME3, I had all of the DLC, including the Citadel. So my first experience was very different than what people experienced on day 1. It was so satisfying and enjoyable and I loved the ending
(fem Shep lives!!)
. I really want a HD remaster before the next one, I'll do it all over again.

It really is amazing what DLC did for Mass Effect 3. I've heard a lot of accounts likes yours about loving it when playing through the first time with all the DLC.

Afrocious

Did you import? It shouldn't require MP to get Synthesis, as High EMS Destroy has a higher EMS requirement and doesn't require it...

Yup.

My endings were either blue, red, or refusal. I didn't know this at the time, so I refused, got the SO BE IT, and...yeah.

Opened up a save editor and gave myself 7000 EMS. Continued where the last checkpoint was (which was literally at the final encounter with
The Illusive Man
.)

Got through that, got the high EMS destroy ending but no green ending at all.

After the game was done with the epilogue and you're in free-roam, my ems reads 2274 or something. The save editor still says 7000 so I have no clue.

I'd be down for that! LOVED ME3's multiplayer.

Same here. The Krogan with the gigantic biotic hammer was my favorite character to play as and the N7 Crusader shotgun is one of my favorite weapons in a game ever.

Probably the only example of really good of multiplayer being implemented into a previously singleplayer only series.

Sagely

Glad you enjoyed the Citadel OP! It's one of the only DLCs I've ever bought, and it's worth every penny :) Like you, I was laughing all throughout before shedding some tears at the end. So many memorable moments!

Also the music for the main mission was surprisingly good, more sci-fi like in the first game. And Liara's
piano solo
got me a little misty :3

Afrocious

Glad you enjoyed the Citadel OP! It's one of the only DLCs I've ever bought, and it's worth every penny :) Like you, I was laughing all throughout before shedding some tears at the end. So many memorable moments!

Also the music for the main mission was surprisingly good, more sci-fi like in the first game. And Liara's
piano solo
got me a little misty :3

Was her solo from another piece of music from the series? It sounded familiar.

Xevren

Citadel was the only dlc that I haven't played :(

Replaying ME2 now and then onto 3, definitely won't skip it this time.

Loaded Man

I really hope this goes on sale again during the holiday season. For as much as I want to play it, there really is no reason this should still cost $14.99 on a last gen console.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
When is N7 day again? November 7th right? Only 2 weeks! Hoping for some "ME4" news/teaser!

Citadel is among the best DLC ever.

I had so much fun with this!
Loved the interactions, the inside jokes (
when Blasto showed up I lost it!
), everything was great.

The best.

Also Pizza Delivery Volus is awesome!

Afrocious

ie the best song in the entire series! Booting up the first game I would always leave it on the title screen for a while just to hear this. Perfectly captured the sense of wonder, mystery and exploration.

I KNEW IT. It's Vigil's theme. I agree.

Patryn

I never touched ME3's multiplayer lol. That kinda screwed me out of the green ending lol.

I believe the game has been patched so lower the amount necessary for unlocking all the endings such that you can now do it without needing to touch multiplayer.

ie the best song in the entire series! Booting up the first game I would always leave it on the title screen for a while just to hear this. Perfectly captured the sense of wonder, mystery and exploration.

Uncharted Worlds for me

From the third game I would say Wake Up

I hope Sam returns for the next game, he did a great job

Impala26

Guys guys... you're forgetting the best part from the Citadel DLC...

maxresdefault.jpg

The Garrus-Zaeed banter over the course of the party seriously some of the greatest dialogue of the whole series, imo.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Uncharted Worlds for me

I was trying to search for that music on my phone to install it as my ringing sound. Couldn't find anything. :(

Guys guys... you're forgetting the best part from the Citadel DLC...

maxresdefault.jpg

The Garrus-Zaeed banter over the course of the party seriously some of the greatest dialogue of the whole series, imo.

RIP Zaeed's voice actor.

Best DLC.

The
clone Shep
thing was amazingly silly.

Also loved that they gave you a auto rifle with the ME1 cool down during it.

And yeah the rest of it was great as well. The Fem Shep / Thane video scene gave me feels and I didnt even play as Fem Shep.

It was everything it needed to be. A great goodbye to those characters.

If they ever do a similar thing with the next gen Mass Effect I think there is only one sci fi trope they can use to top the
evil clone
thing and that of course is TIME TRAVEL! But you kind of need 3 games and characters worth a damn for this kind of thing to work and who knows if Bioware can do that anymore. I dont want to see a wacky DLC pack for every game now.

Afrocious

Best DLC.

The
clone Shep
thing was amazingly silly.

Also loved that they gave you a auto rifle with the ME1 cool down during it.

And yeah the rest of it was great as well. The Fem Shep / Thane video gave me feels and I didnt even play as Fem Shep.

It was everything it needed to be. A great goodbye to those characters.

If they ever do a similar thing with the next gen Mass Effect I think there is only one sci fi trope they can use to top the
evil clone
thing and that of course is TIME TRAVEL! But you kind of need 3 games and characters worth a damn for this kind of thing to work and who knows if Bioware can do that anymore. I dont want to see a wacky DLC pack for every game now.

I got that gun and noticed the cooldown as well. It was a great throwback and it's a good gun too lol.

And yeah, I don't want to see DLC made to be similar to this without the amount of gravity ME carried. That's the only way the Citadel was successful.

Sagely

Uncharted Worlds for me

Uncharted Worlds is great too, agreed. Glad they kept that theme across all three games, and I'd be overjoyed if it's kept on for the upcoming game too! It made all that time spent scanning planets a bit more worthwhile :)

Uncharted Worlds is great too, agreed. Glad they kept that theme across all three games, and I'd be overjoyed if it's kept on for the upcoming game too! It made all that time spent scanning planets a bit more worthwhile :)

I used to spend ages reading the bios of planets. They nailed the feeling of space exploration (the first game anyway) with that map and music imo and yeah I hope they keep it for the next one.

Afrocious

Try "New Worlds" by Jack Wall, see if you have better luck

Ding ding ding. This is it.

I think it's called Uncharted Worlds in ME2, but New Worlds in ME1.

Whoops! I meant ME1 = New Worlds and ME2 = Uncharted Worlds.

Also, did ME3 ever have a OST that had more than what was put on Origin? Not all of the game's tracks are in the Origin OST, like that song you hear at the end of the Citadel DLC and that song you hear when there's reapers with the inception horns going.

This DLC succeeded because the plot was almost entirely irrelevant. Bioware should try and remember that when they write their games from now on.

Ding ding ding. This is it.

I think it's called Uncharted Worlds in ME2, but New Worlds in ME1.

Whoops! I meant ME1 = New Worlds and ME2 = Uncharted Worlds.

Also, did ME3 ever have a OST that had more than what was put on Origin? Not all of the game's tracks are in the Origin OST, like that song you hear at the end of the Citadel DLC and that song you hear when there's reapers with the inception horns going.

Citadel DLC and Extended Cut OST's are on iTunes but some music from the main game never got officially released I don't think, like the squad selection theme
http://youtu.be/Vb5XxFPpdZE

_woLf

Citadel is the true ending of the trilogy for me. I don't care about conflict resolution with the reapers. I already know those ending(s) are nowhere near what I wanted or expected, so to me the Citadel is the ending I chose like a choose your own adventure book back in the day.

That entire DLC was so much fun to play, and the music was top notch too. Easily the best thibg that could have happened to ME3. I really hope they have more of that kind of stuff in ME4 because as silly as it was, it waa full of emotion and made all the characters feel like real people who truly cared for each other.

Every time someone I know says they played ME3 and didn't care for the ending, I always make sure they go back and play through the Citadel stuff and it always changes their minds.

Afrocious

Citadel is the true ending of the trilogy for me. I don't care about conflict resolution with the reapers. I already know those ending(s) are nowhere near what I wanted or expected, so to me the Citadel is the ending I chose like a choose your own adventure book back in the day.

That entire DLC was so much fun to play, and the music was top notch too. Easily the best thibg that could have happened to ME3. I really hope they have more of that kind of stuff in ME4 because as silly as it was, it waa full of emotion and made all the characters feel like real people who truly cared for each other.

Every time someone I know says they played ME3 and didn't care for the ending, I always make sure they go back and play through the Citadel stuff and it always chabges their minds.

I can empathize with the CYOA feeling at the end, except for me, it was kind of like the ending of Calvin and Hobbes. Check out the final panel specifically.

laststrip.png

I felt I could choose to believe the Normandy had more adventures after the crew returns to their ship, some more crazy adventures, some more intimate moments, and some more people they could save. They do these things because that's what the crew does. With the humor, the crazy mission, and the get togethers, I feel Bioware intentionally wrote the ending of the Citadel DLC with this in mind.

Another feeling I had was the obvious and bittersweet sentiment that this is an acknowledgement of the end of the universe as we knew it in ME1, 2, and 3 which was the case since Citadel is the last DLC made. This was what moved me.

The final theme being played being 'Farewell and Into The Inevitable' refers to Bioware saying goodbye, players saying goodbye, and perhaps even the cast of the characters we've grown to care about saying goodbye to us and in a ways - themselves since, again, there won't be any new content regarding their stories. The moment that final cutscenes is done, you're back in the Normandy and everyone has gone back to using their generic responses as if nothing happened and are waiting for you to advance the plot. This can refer to the inevitable part of the song's name. Also, inevitable could refer to the fact everything must come to an end sometime.

So while Shepard and his crew and friends, which have grown considerbly throughout three games, continue on after their shore leave to fight the Reapers within the context of the game's narrative, the ending isn't simply about them having to get off of vacation. It's about them leaving the stage and turning off the lights.

Afrocious

I'd want a new ME game that has characters I can dig, but with a better plotline.

Like it was said earlier, Citadel worked because the overall plot of the ME games was irrelevant.

jmood88

I'd like to play Citadel, but would likely be thinking about how horribly paced and plotted Mass Effect 3 is.

Let's have a party while Earth burns!
What else are they supposed to do, sit and cry? They couldn't go anywhere and we're facing their deaths, so why not have a little fun?

Garlador

Why the f did you bumb this necro thread? You heard about google?

Took me until page 2 to see the dates.

Well, if nothing else, thanks for making me nostalgic for Citadel and Mass Effect trilogy again. EA better hurry up and give us a remaster soon.

Loved it. Captured everything that makes the fans love these characters and their relationships with each other.

It was just a little bittersweet that such a correction was needed because the actual game's ending was so devoid of what fans like about Mass Effect. :/

ETA: Oh lol, didn't see the dates, thought this was a new discussion!

Top Bottom