• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Co-Op And "Galaxy At War" Detailed [Up: Video Interview/Detailing]

Grisby

Wallach said:
Co-op with a persistent character. I think there's a good chance it winds up quite successful.

I hope I can play a Hanar.

Could be a first step to an ME MMO. That would be so good. I mean I know Old Republic is coming but at this point I find Mass Effect's universe so much more interesting.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Derrick01 said:
Yeah I know what you meant by it. I was just asking you if you wanted a second chance to rethink that because it's a really bad comparison.

Multiplayer lives and dies by how many are playing it and I've gotta tell ya 2 months would be disasterous. Like I'm pretty sure Dead Space 2 even squeezed a third month out before it died.

Thing is, this is a bit different. Dead Space 2, Assassin's Creed, Bioshock 2, none of those had co-op, it was all versus. Co-op is a different beast in that I would bet more people will be interested in co-op in a game like Mass Effect versus some kind of standard multiplayer.

Of course people will be done with it in two weeks, they'll play co-op with friends and beat the co-op missions and be done, but that's none different than any game with side co-op missions.

I don't see this taking anything away from single player, and I don't believe it will hurt the final game. I believe it will help add some more replay value to it in the long run, and give a base groundwork for some cool co-op DLC to go along with single player DLC.

DatBreh

Banned
Derrick01 said:
Yeah I know what you meant by it. I was just asking you if you wanted a second chance to rethink that because it's a really bad comparison.

Multiplayer lives and dies by how many are playing it and I've gotta tell ya 2 months would be disasterous. Like I'm pretty sure Dead Space 2 even squeezed a third month out before it died.

Who cares how long it lasts if you have fun with it? Isnt that the entire point of gaming, to have fun? Its a side option for people who are into co-op, if people dont want it then dont select it. Good lord, i didnt know this concept would be so hard.

2 weeks ago i completed the co-op on the original Gears with a friend. It was fun. I dont care if nobody else in the world was playing it too, i was and i had a great time.

Derrick01

Banned
You guys don't need to explain co-op to me I was just explaining how ridiculous it is to compare single player times to co-op and multiplayer.

f0rk

The FAQ in the OP is hilarious.
"Sorry guys we know this was a dumb idea but we got some other idiots at a new studio to do it so it won't affect the single player games quality!"

Kinyou said:
Yeah they will play. (for about two months)
Derrick01 said:

2 months of people playing multiplayer is 2 months that copy didn't go back to Gamestop as a used copy.

Derrick01 said:
I know, dude. The MP is already a (hypothetical) failure. It only lasted 2 months.

Vamphuntr

f0rk said:
The FAQ in the OP is hilarious.
"Sorry guys we know this was a dumb idea but we got some other idiots at a new studio to do it so it won't affect the single player games quality!"

Yeah, I think it's hilarious that they are trying to damage control in their FAQ. Seems to be the new Bioware MO : damage control every piece of news. It's fairly nice to seem them backed in a corner against their angry fans which aren't satisfied with the way the company is now operating.

Wallach said:
Co-op with a persistent character. I think there's a good chance it winds up quite successful.

I hope I can play a Hanar.

WE ARE CARRYING THIS TEAM, IT DISPLEASES US.
"This one will not hesitate to betray his teammates for the Space Rocket Launcher."

Also, it sounds like Galaxy At War is actually something that stands apart from ME3. Maybe it'll function like a downloadable Arcade Game or something? (Who knows, right. :lol)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What happens in the long term when the multiplayer is dead and the presumed facebook/iOS game is dead? I'm hoping you can still get the socalled "best" ending without any of that stuff enabled.

Wallach

firehawk12 said:
What happens in the long term when the multiplayer is dead and the presumed facebook/iOS game is dead? I'm hoping you can still get the socalled "best" ending without any of that stuff enabled.

That information is in the OP.

firehawk12 said:
You didn't read the OP.

Vamphuntr

SilentProtagonist said:
You didn't read the OP.

Or he doesn't trust Bioware. Which is also perfectly fine." Auto attack you say? It's in, the leaked copies are all pirated and don't have this feature enabled."

firehawk12

Subete no aware
SilentProtagonist said:
You didn't read the OP.
ME3 is a story about a war against overwhelming force where the most you can hope for us survival. The more you do to fight that war, the more you can change that story into a more optimistic one. You can reach the highest levels of success in the single player experience alone, but Galaxy at War gives you alternative ways to get there. It’s about choice, and allowing players to find their own ways to stay immersed in the Mass Effect universe.
That? Forgetting the PR speak, it seems remarkably vague. "Alternative ways" can mean anything.

Vamphuntr said:
Or he doesn't trust Bioware. Which is also perfectly fine." Auto attack you say? It's in, the leaked copies are all pirated and don't have this feature enabled."
Haha. Did they ever fix that?

Wallach

firehawk12 said:
That? Forgetting the PR speak, it seems remarkably vague. "Alternative ways" can mean anything.

No, this:

It is important to note that the system is entirely optional and just another way players can have control over your game experience – it is still possible to achieve the optimal, complete ending of the game in Mass Effect 3 through single-player alone.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wallach said:
No, this:
Hrrrm. Well, I'll believe it when I see it I guess. If it's just throwaway stuff like the first iPhone game or the Dragon Age Facebook games, then I suppose it doesn't really matter then.

rozay

Banned
Vamphuntr said:
Yeah, I think it's hilarious that they are trying to damage control in their FAQ. Seems to be the new Bioware MO : damage control every piece of news. It's fairly nice to seem them backed in a corner against their angry fans which aren't satisfied with the way the company is now operating.
Yeah they completely fucked up the announcement. They should've had this FAQ ready from the start, instead of saying "yes there's multiplayer!" then "no, it's not what you've feared" then "give it a chance please!"

My galaxy is Ron Fuckin' Swanson
RonGalaxy.png

masterkajo

rozay said:
Yeah they completely fucked up the announcement. They should've had this FAQ ready from the start, instead of saying "yes there's multiplayer!" then "no, it's not what you've feared" then "give it a chance please!"
It wasn't their fault. AFAIK, the announcement should have happend tomorrow with video and FAQ and all. It was just that the PCPP magazin spilled the beans early.

Mindlog

Just read between the lines.

Multiplayer is absolutely mandatory to get the best single player ending. The Asari will betray you without all of the Dilinaga memoirs. The Salarians will betray you without the League of One medallions. The Turians will be in a civil war without the Turian Insignias.

You won't even dream of fighting the Reapers without all of the Prothean data discs.

Multiplayer is the only way new Shepards stand a chance of stopping one Reaper.

Veteran completionist Shepards can rest easy. Their ships will be heavily armored with Batarian corpses.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Mindlog said:
Multiplayer is absolutely mandatory to get the best single player ending. The Asari will betray you without all of the Dilinaga memoirs. The Salarians will betray you without the League of One medallions. The Turians will be in a civil war without the Turian Insignias.

It would be pretty sweet if Shepard and the entire crew die at the end if you didn't collect all of the Matriach's Writings and Turian Insignias in ME1. They gotta be worth something, I busted ass collected that shit.

Emitan

Mindlog said:
Multiplayer is absolutely mandatory to get the best single player ending. The Asari will betray you without all of the Dilinaga memoirs. The Salarians will betray you without the League of One medallions. The Turians will be in a civil war without the Turian Insignias
The game doesn't even track those. I would fly to Canada and beat the crap out of Bioware if they wanted me to track down that crap.

f0rk

rozay said:

No they shouldn't have a FAQ that reads like this at all, it's like an admission of guilt.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
nel e nel said:
It's a video game, brosef. You want a real life experience go over to the Middle East and help with the Arab Spring.

Was this serious? I seriously hope it wasnt serious.

Wallach

HK-47 said:
Bioware, make good loot?

Maybe if we all wish upon a star, itll happen.

Haha, I'd save your wishes for something else. Loot is the last thing Bioware of any era has understood.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
BattleMonkey said:
But none of the other races are under threat. Only humans in two where getting screwed over and suddenly all these galactice empires are going to drop everything because one human says so? A threat is coming that is completely unknown to these aliens and have yet to even become targets of these aliens races and they are all going to rally to fight?

I would wait to see what happens in three first but you seem to have made up your mind on it already.

So the humas are getting their shit kicked by horrifying alien machines from beyond the Id and the other races response is maybe they wont annihilate our entire species too?

And those bringing up historical instances should maybe realize that history tends to be way more complex than your average Bioware plot. If Bioware made the explanation that complex maybe it would work, but then you have a) its bioware, b) its an action game in a series that has shone no aptitude with writing realistic politics and c) its galactic genocide. If you are arguing against people who want more complex writing, its not a good idea no to bring up complex history to refute the need for it.

Vamphuntr

Billychu said:
The game doesn't even track those. I would fly to Canada and beat the crap out of Bioware if they wanted me to track down that crap.

One of the devs on twitter hinted that they would be useful but it could always have been a joke.

Emitan

Vamphuntr said:
One of the devs on twitter hinted that they would be useful but it could always have been a joke.
I've been looking at my Mass Effect 2 save file with two different save editors today. Unless I missed it, it's not there.

MNC

Snuggler said:
The whole Galactic Readiness level thing is a bit troubling. I get that the co-op/whatever else stuff is inessential, but it's the idea of filling a bar to get the best ending that bugs me. For starters, in a game about choice (lol, I know), there should be no 'optimal' or 'complete' ending. There should be no strictly right or wrong decisions. And for that 'optimal' ending to be decided by how far you've grinded your Galactic Readiness level is just lame.

That being said, the co-op stuff sounds kinda interesting. It's a bit less predictable than the straight-forward deathmatch shit I expected. Personally, I don't mind the inclusion of it since it will have no impact on the single player.
I was thinking what was feeling so off, but this is it. There should be no right or wrong ending, especially the filling up a bar part depending on how good you are. Ugh. Will buy for a fiver.

Emitan

MNC said:
I was thinking what was feeling so off, but this is it. There should be no right or wrong ending, especially the filling up a bar part depending on how good you are. Ugh. Will buy for a fiver.
I'm assuming you can get the galaxy to defeat the Reapers without any race becoming extinct. That's the best ending. The other ends are worse and worse but you still win until maybe there's an ending where you lose. Honestly it just sounds like Chrono Trigger where you can fight the last boss whenever you want but you don't get the best ending unless you do everything.

Wallach

Billychu said:
I'm assuming you can get the galaxy to defeat the Reapers without any race becoming extinct. That's the best ending. The other ends are worse and worse but you still win until maybe there's an ending where you lose. Honestly it just sounds like Chrono Trigger where you can fight the last boss whenever you want but you don't get the best ending unless you do everything.

I used Suikoden as an example I think is a little more analogous, but yeah, similar idea.

Kritz

Banned
I can't help but draw worrying analogies between the "Galaxy Ready" metre and the whole "get money" thing from Fable 3. Considering Mass Effect 2 already did the invisible countdown timer thing in a similar way to Fable 3's visible but not very indicative countdown timer, I wouldn't be surprised if that idea had a bit of a reprise in Mass Effect 3.

Yeah, probably not.

Chinner

Banned
Snuggler said:
I'm thinking in my first playthrough I'm gonna let the universe get destroyed just to be a dick.
my playthrough will probably involve me going with roche, might be a bit of a dick but that bro is my fucking bro you dig bro. you dig.

Goon Boon

Banned
I hope if you don't play the first two, the only way to get the ultimate no bro's die all races exist ending or whatever is to grind multiplayer for hours and hours. That way you pretty much have to play the trilogy to earn your happy ending.

MaddenNFL64

Billychu said:

Oh man, I so want a "developer room" ending on a new game+ now.

Goon Boon said:
I hope if you don't play the first two, the only way to get the ultimate no bro's die all races exist ending or whatever is to grind multiplayer for hours and hours. That way you pretty much have to play the trilogy to earn your happy ending.

Would be such a dick move. But I wouldn't mind ;).

GSR

I'm guessing that when they talk about the "best" ending or whatever, they mean an ending where the Reapers do as little damage as possible before their defeat (or, if you really fuck up, they win). Hopefully the ending itself will still have a good amount of variety to it (I wouldn't be surprised if the Renegade "best" ending is just "humanity takes over the universe", though.)

Songbird

Prodigal Son
GSR said:
Hopefully the ending itself will still have a good amount of variety to it (I wouldn't be surprised if the Renegade "best" ending is just "humanity takes over the universe", though.)
And how much of the universe will be left if galactic readiness isn't at a good level? Of course it won't work like that, but it's nice to dream.

codecow

Derrick01 said:

foreveralone.jpg

I just got a nice tweet today from someone who played MP yesterday and had a great time.

Top Bottom