• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Comic-Con Announcement: Canon Female Shepard Appearance Vote

amdnv

Pimpbaa said:
Which is why I don't get why people are complaining. Although I can't see why people would still want the old default because it was absolutely terrible (a duckface that looked like it was made out of silly putty).
Right. A 19-year-old doll who never touched a rifle fits the role of commander Shepard much better.

niz said:
b8942a4f3037ec6ce7eeff50f7dd0.png
You know, she does look like Shepard 20 years ago. She's fresh out of military school, with no experience in the field.

amdnv

Totobeni said:
Someone made this,Shepard #5 but look more older and experienced soldier.
Not bad at all I must say. I'd still prefer red hair, but seeing this "version" it's really frustrating how Bioware is trying to sell us a good looking girl when the entire appeal of FemShep has little to do with how good she looks.

And the younger, more model-like she looks, the less believable she becomes as commander Shepard. Choosing to control a FemShep character breaks the stereotype, it makes the whole storyline so much more compelling and interesting. But she has to fit the role.

Have you seen the trailer for the new Tomb Raider game? It appears that they are turning the videogame-y Lara Croft into a real person. Bioware is doing the opposite. Luckily, only the cover artwork is affected.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I don't see how the new FemShep is any different than most of the FemSheps that people chose to make.

I can appreciate voting for #5 because it's blonde and the majority of people playing a Femshep seemed to make very similar looking nearly default female faces with short blonde hair. Google is full of them, and one of my Femsheps was too.

I am however annoyed by all the dorks voting for #5 because "squeee it's Samus Shepard." I kinda like that slightly rougher redesign, but that's not the one we're voting for.

I also love the guys who think the butchie first 3 look like lesbians, and who think James Vega must be the gay love interest.

Now, you all may be right, and Bioware may well be designing these character models with this same mindset, but from where I'm looking these characters look like hilarious examples of what straight people think gay people fantasize about.

I kinda like them all. 1, 3 and 5 are my favorites.

off-topic: I would love to get another shot at romancing Miranda in ME3. She was out of line when she bullied Jack right after we got back from the abandoned facility where Jack was abused and tortured. I had to step in. Still want to seduce Miranda though, she's like the most (or only) attractive videogame character ever.

amdnv said:
You know, she does look like Shepard 20 years ago. She's fresh out of military school, with no experience in the field.

Shepard isn't even 30 in ME3, and the human lifespan has been extended to ~150 years. Assuming average lifespan of 80 years currently, being 20 years old now is 25% of your life, so to be the same amount of time through your natural lifespan in MEverse with all the genetic engineering, you have to be 37.5. Also, I'm not sure what someone with "experience" is supposed to look like. If you're a hot chick, you don't suddenly become ugly after going through a few years of intermittent combat.

This is just the promo image for the game. Don't get your nickers in a twist over t.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
ThoseDeafMutes said:
Shepard isn't even 30 in ME3, and the human lifespan has been extended to ~150 years. Assuming average lifespan of 80 years currently, being 20 years old now is 25% of your life, so to be the same amount of time through your natural lifespan in MEverse with all the genetic engineering, you have to be 37.5. Also, I'm not sure what someone with "experience" is supposed to look like. If you're a hot chick, you don't suddenly become ugly after going through a few years of intermittent combat.

This is just the promo image for the game. Don't get your nickers in a twist over t.

Not sure about the extended lifespan in ME universe mumbojumbo..but just to correct the age

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Commander_Shepard
Shepard was born April 11, 2154 , ME1 events set in 2183,so Shepard was 29 years old in ME1, ME2 start in 2185,so Shepard was 31 years old in ME2 and so should be even older in ME3 unless it's set in the same year and that not likely ( the models look like 18-20 years old girl)

If you're a hot chick, you don't suddenly become ugly after going through a few years of intermittent combat

It's just about how you make believable leader/strong female character really( see the Boss from MGS3) more than the fiction universe rules or whatever,and Bioware sucks ass at that.

deim0s

rakhir said:
I just love the hair - but yeah, redhead version is better (redhead is always better!)
Yep.

5 and 1 (hair fits as a military woman) and 6 (looks like a Sisters of battle). Either way they should include all hairstyles for custom freaks to use.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Number 4 all day! I can't believe 4 isn't winning in a landslide.

I would pony up the cash for that one, those others suck.

Andrefpvs

Forgive if I'm wrong (haven't started playing ME1+2 yet), but wasn't the default Shepard a red-head with semi-short hair? Why the need to make a canon female at this point in the series, especially if the default one can't be voted for?

tiff

Banned
Andrefpvs said:
Forgive if I'm wrong (haven't started playing ME1+2 yet), but wasn't the default Shepard a red-head with semi-short hair? Why the need to make a canon female at this point in the series, especially if the default one can't be voted for?
They need something to put on promotional material/LE stuff/whatever they're actually going to do with this that wasn't made in the shitty create-a-character.

Just look at the comparison pic between default male and femSheps. The difference in quality is like night and day. A side character used better textures than the default female did.

Mattdaddy said:
Number 4 all day! I can't believe 4 isn't winning in a landslide.

I would pony up the cash for that one, those others suck.
Making the 5 losers paid DLC would probably be a smart move for them, LOL

Andrefpvs

tiff said:
They need something to put on promotional material/LE stuff/whatever they're actually going to do with this that wasn't made in the shitty create-a-character.

Just look at the comparison pic between default male and femSheps. The difference in quality is like night and day. A side character used better textures than the default female did.

Thanks. I still don't understand why they couldn't have made a high-quality version of default female Shepard for people to vote for, but oh well.

Andrefpvs said:
Thanks. I still don't understand why they couldn't have made a high-quality version of default female Shepard for people to vote for, but oh well.
How many people use default FemShep? Bioware has the usage statistics, so I'm sure they went with what works best for them.

tiff

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if they never really intended her to be THE female Shepard, she just happened to be the first pre-made option.

AlStrong

ThoseDeafMutes said:
If you're a hot chick, you don't suddenly become ugly after going through a few years of intermittent combat.

You might if you burned up in the atmosphere of a planet. Maaaaaaybe. >_>

Still prefer #3, but would be ok with #5. I hope they let us edit the default (at least the hair style, and hair/eye colours).

gatti-man

I like 5 the best. Blonde hair just contrasts the dark everything else on the image. If it was a light image I think more people would be voting dark hair.

nico1982

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Still, the grouchy teen expression and underage appearance doesn't really fit the character (and neither her voice in the previous games).

Anyway, 5 wouldn't be that bad with red or dark blond/brown hair.

AlStrong said:
You might if you burned up in the atmosphere of a planet. Maaaaaaybe. >_>

When you collide into a planet you couldn't possibly be put back together because there would be nothing left, so the fact that she still looks great after it is pretty low on the list of stupid shit that happened in Mass Effect.

Shai-Tan

Banned
_dementia said:
Is Shepard supposed to be attractive?

yes, I think so, and there's a difference between being a bombshell and being attractive. I consider the Shepard I made in ME2 good looking. It's not like she's sexed up or anything she just looks presentable and the face they chose there looks ugly, probably wouldn't score well in a test of attractiveness. Even worse with the cropped hair which few women can have without going down a few levels in looks.

Takuan

It's not a matter of whether or not she's supposed to be attractive. She has to be. Gamers are just as superficial as the masses when it comes to iconic characters, if not moreso. Just look at the people in here calling some of these examples ugly.

Also, #1 is absolutely Natalie Portman. You must be blind to not see the resemblance.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
#3 is giving me a Scarlett Johansson vibe. I like her.

In the long run I'm sticking with me FemShep anyway. Oh well.

Top Bottom