• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Comic-Con Announcement: Canon Female Shepard Appearance Vote

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
He does look like Brodus Clay though. He's been future endeavored I think so maybe this is what he's doing now.

Vamphuntr

truly101 said:
According to Wikipedia she's confirmed to be in 3, but I doubt its as a party member (or probably a DLC party member.) I bet she ends up being like the mission coordinator.

Or they could always retcon the ending or make her betray you and hunt you with Cerberus.

truly101 said:
According to Wikipedia she's confirmed to be in 3, but I doubt its as a party member (or probably a DLC party member.) I bet she ends up being like the mission coordinator.

Doesn't sound so bad. It'd be totally weird if she left Cerberus then was never heard from again.

Well, not totally.

Draft

Wow.

OK, since he very clearly is Vinny from Jersey Shore, this character is 100% redeemed if he acts and speaks like Vinny as well.

Derrick01

Banned
evanft said:
I can judge a game based on character design images released 9 months before the game comes out.

Ahh the Crysis 2/Dragon Age 2/Mass Effect 2 defense. Fans can tell when a game has disaster written all over it and this game has it written in permanent marker.

And it's not just this bro design here. Read the countless previews, demos and interviews they've done. It looks awful for rpg fans.

Wallach

truly101 said:
He does look like Brodus Clay though. He's been future endeavored I think so maybe this is what he's doing now.

You know, he honestly does. That would be kind of funny.

Derrick01 said:
Ahh the Crysis 2/Dragon Age 2/Mass Effect 2 defense. Fans can tell when a game has disaster written all over it and this game has it written in permanent marker.

And it's not just this bro design here. Read the countless previews, demos and interviews they've done. It looks awful for rpg fans.

How can you honestly compare the previews for this game to DA2? I don't even know what you're talking about.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Draft said:
Wow.

OK, since he very clearly is Vinny from Jersey Shore, this character is 100% redeemed if he acts and speaks like Vinny as well.
you mean ron?

shep is vinny

dragonknight337

Neo Member
Hasphat'sAnts said:
Do you remember anything noteworthy Kaiden did in ME1? That shit about the L2 implants was as forgettable as Cpl. Jenkins.

Ashley on the other hand, does poetry, talks about her sisters, is racist, and
kills Wrex.

Nah, I did. :3
It is fucking funny to give the command too, though. >_>

And yeah, Kaidan is as dull as a sack of bricks. But he is Carth 2.0 after all.

dragonknight337 said:
Nah, I did. :3
It is fucking funny to give the command too, though. >_>

And yeah, Kaidan is as dull as a sack of bricks. But he is Carth 2.0 after all.

Carth was a whiny little bitch, so he had that going for him.

Kaiden is nothing. He is literally Hollow Man.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Hasphat'sAnts said:

This is true. I'd say Carth is whinier and more "emo" than any JRPG character......ever. Kaiden had no personality at all

zeelman

Ashley looks a lot different now. I'm not sure if I like it or not.

Vega looks horrible, but that has already been said.

Do people not wanna give ME3 a try? I don't understand...you guys nit pick everything to death. the games more casual because they want to go back to the mass effect 1 combat system? More casual because they do a more in depth armor/weapon system? Right. Everyone acts as though Mass effect 1 was so deep and complex and mass Effect 2 was so dude bro. Mass Effect had no real RPG features that weren't just thrown on at the last minute.

But...my god Vega looks bad. It's horrible...why? Why would they make someone like him? Ugh.

James looks like a fucking douche, get him off my Normandy.

AlimNassor said:
Do people not wanna give ME3 a try? I don't understand...you guys nit pick everything to death. the games more casual because they want to go back to the mass effect 1 combat system? More casual because they do a more in depth armor/weapon system? Right. Everyone acts as though Mass effect 1 was so deep and complex and mass Effect 2 was so dude bro. Mass Effect had no real RPG features that weren't just thrown on at the last minute.
i agree. i've just finished ME1 and currently playing ME2, and i think ME2 is miles better. for my tastes anyway (even the story elements!). so i'll definitely play ME3 and i still have high hopes.. but some signs sure are pointing towards a more dudebro-ish game :/

truly101 said:
If ME3 is as disappointing as ME2 then it will be my game of this gen.

It's kind of weird that ME2 is getting retroactive hate since DA2 released. Aren't the ME and DA teams two totally different teams? I get the complaints about DA to DA2, but ME1 wasn't some shining, polished example of an amazing RPG. Do people really want to go back to ME1 mechanics where acurracy was determined by stats or it's horrible inventory system? I'd be happy with the gunplay of ME2, but deeper RPG elements for the rest of the game for stuff like abilities and other stats like vitality and damage. Plus better loot.

The thing people should be pissed about is BioWare is using the same tired, cliched unite the factions to defeat the main enemy storyline. That's the best they can come up with? Why not just rename the Reapers as the Arch Demon FFS.

Mohawkbro looks like a fucking tool. All of them do.

And wasn't he supposed to be Sanders before? So Bioware doesn't want anything to do with the novels now?

benzy said:
Ashley got a bad nose job and lip injections. Why would they mess with the original character model?

mass_effect_2_ashley_by_agatafoxxx-d319u3s.jpg

1809753-masseffect3_ash_large.jpg
Does she have the same plastic surgeon as Natalie Portman?

fernoca

Well, guess we'll see. No problems with the way James Vega looks; but it will depend on his personality and what he adds to the team. Then I'll decide what to do with him.

I couldn't stand Ashley, so you could bet anything that I went with Kaidan; awesome that I can romance him this time WITH a male Sheppard. :p

Gravijah

MrTroubleMaker said:
You knew it was turning into a dudebro shooter, this is just another nail in that coffin. :(

I dunno, he could be a really deep character with a well thought out backstory.

Though he'll probably just shoot to kill.

Gravijah said:
I dunno, he could be a really deep character with a well thought out backstory.

Though he'll probably just shoot to kill.

We have like 3 of those same archetypes per Mass Effect game.

Derrick01

Banned
GillianSeed79 said:
It's kind of weird that ME2 is getting retroactive hate since DA2 released. Aren't the ME and DA teams two totally different teams? I get the complaints about DA to DA2, but ME1 wasn't some shining, polished example of an amazing RPG. Do people really want to go back to ME1 mechanics where acurracy was determined by stats or it's horrible inventory system? I'd be happy with the gunplay of ME2, but deeper RPG elements for the rest of the game for stuff like abilities and other stats like vitality and damage. Plus better loot.

The thing people should be pissed about is BioWare is using the same tired, cliched unite the factions to defeat the main enemy storyline. That's the best they can come up with? Why not just rename the Reapers as the Arch Demon FFS.

For the record ME2 was getting this kind of hate far before DA2 came out, DA2 just sealed Bioware's negative reputation.

ME1 was a flawed gem, something wrpg fans are used to. It had flaws but there was room to make something truly amazing, legendary even since we knew it would be a trilogy. Then the reports of streamlining came in during ME2 and people reacted negatively and we got the turd of a "rpg" that was ME2.

Now the same cycle is happening with 3. They say they're adding rpg elements and all this good stuff but they won't detail it, and current Bioware loves to talk and BS. They lost the right to getting the benefit of the doubt from fans so until they can prove otherwise people are going to negatively react to all these bad things.

I just realized how much negative feedback ME2 got here on GAF after reading this thread. I always thought an abundance of gamers liked it because of various positive reactions from blogs, and my friends telling me how great it was.

Glad I am not the only one who found it a bit lacking.

That, or is just the people in this thread and a few others, so now I'm in the minority again.

Ezalc

Hasphat'sAnts said:

I think I was the only one who liked Kaiden. He was the calm and collected one, like the right hand man who just kind of stands there listening to the boss and can be relied upon. The only thing he didn't have was an opportunity to be awesome.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Derrick01 said:
For the record ME2 was getting this kind of hate far before DA2 came out, DA2 just sealed Bioware's negative reputation.

The difference between Dragon Age II and Mass Effect II, as stated in other threads, is that Dragon Age II recieved mixed critical reception, and even the positive considered it weaker than the original. Mass Effect II did not, with majority of critical reception defining it as a better game than the original.

BioWare's negative reputation in regards to Mass Effect tends to come from the most vocal who are, as far as we're aware, a minority.

X26 said:
Shame that they created all these races and so many have never been playable. It's not too late bioware, scrap vega and replace him with a volus
haha, a volus on the team would be awesome. even though they're all sneaky little bastards. an elcor or hanar would be cool too.. watching a hanar strangle enemies would be pure win.

Draft

Raitosaito said:
I just realized how much negative feedback ME2 got here on GAF after reading this thread. I always thought an abundance of gamers liked it because of various positive reactions from blogs, and my friends telling me how great it was.

Glad I am not the only one who found it a bit lacking.

That, or is just the people in this thread and a few others, so now I'm in the minority again.
I think for the most part ME2 is beloved and rightfully so. The only common criticism was that it streamlined too much, jettisoned too many RPG mechanics, and became a third person shooter with stats.

I think what people are concerned about is ME3 appears to be heading even further in that direction, but not only in game mechanics, but story elements as well. Every preview for ME3 is just fight, fight, fight, whoa, look, there's a knife in your omni-tool, whoa now you're driving a giant robot and there's rockets, whoa look it's like a billion reapers, whoa, look at this big gorilla who's going to join the party, I bet he kicks ass, and so on.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I think I can live with the Ashley redesign, although I hope they attempt to explain the change in look. Ash's look matched her personality, which is why it worked for her. This look, while good, does not really match the personality of Ash.

As far as Vega lol

That's all that needs to be said.

lol

Wallach

EatChildren said:
The difference between Dragon Age II and Mass Effect II, as stated in other threads, is that Dragon Age II recieved mixed critical reception, and even the positive considered it weaker than the original. Mass Effect II did not, with majority of critical reception defining it as a better game than the original.

BioWare's negative reputation in regards to Mass Effect tends to come from the most vocal who are, as far as we're aware, a minority.

Right. You also have to consider that most of the negative feedback about DA2 was not about DA, it was specifically about what was being shown of DA2. Most of the negative feedback about ME3 is about ME2 more than it is about what is being shown about ME3.

Reuenthal

Banned
Mass Effect 2 was a flawed very good game. It did a lot of things right and better than the best, yet it was a huge step back in comparison to the previous Mass Effect when it came to the storyline and even pacing has issues. Now, considering this is the ending of the trilogy, I expect some better focus on the storyline and on the Reapers themselves than what Mass Effect 2 provided.

From my experience the reception on Mass Effect 2 is positive with people being more mixed on whether it was better than the first game, despite being considered a good game.

From what we are to expect from Mass Effect 3, I expect a better storyline and not a very different game than Mass Effect 2, and based on how much I enjoyed Mass Effect 2, that would be a positive. Honestly I see this being the best game of the trilogy.

Draft said:
Every preview for ME3 is just fight, fight, fight, whoa, look, there's a knife in your omni-tool, whoa now you're driving a giant robot and there's rockets, whoa look it's like a billion reapers, whoa, look at this big gorilla who's going to join the party, I bet he kicks ass, and so on.

That's not true at all.

It's also full of deep, tragic moments that will make you cry.

Raise your hand if you saw the kid dying from a mile away.

Symphonic

You people are fucking depressing. Still hyped for this, but every time I go into a GAF Mass Effect thread the negativity is just ridiculous.

Take these images for what they are, just images. Stop spouting entire opinions about a game months away from release just because BioWare is continuing their tradition of shitty marketing.

Saige

I must do better.
I’ve only played a little of the Mass Effect games but I actually thought the brown haired girl was Miranda.

Wasn’t she supposed to be the sexy human female squadmate? I remember Ashley being more of an actual tough solider type of character.

Reuenthal

Banned
Apparently I can't edit my posts, when I said above that Mass effect 2 did better than the best I meant better than the first.

Now... about the redesigns, I don't like them. But I am still excited for Mass Effect 3.

Gravijah

Saige said:
I’ve only played a little of the Mass Effect games but I actually thought the brown haired girl was Miranda.

Wasn’t she supposed to be the sexy human female squadmate? I remember Ashley being more of an actual tough solider type of character.

Well, now we have 3 sexy human squadmates with Vega in the mix.

DTKT

loblaw said:
You people are fucking depressing. Still hyped for this, but every time I go into a GAF Mass Effect thread the negativity is just ridiculous.

Take these images for what they are, just images. Stop spouting entire opinions about a game months away from release just because BioWare is continuing their tradition of shitty marketing.

I know they are just images and concepts but the design for Vega just seems bland and uninspired.

Nemesis_

Sometimes I feel like GAF just NEEDS to hate on something.

Or love something and then hate it a few months down the track (MGS4).

I do agree that Vega does not look like an endearing character at all, but we know nothing besides the artwork that they've just shown anyway.

He'll be good beef for FemShep to play around with, I guess. OR MAYBE EVEN GAY GAF can get some of that action!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
loblaw said:

are the people with positive opinions allowed to express theirs or should i just lock every single pre-release thread on the forum until i get fired for doing so? let me know.

MrMephistoX

AlimNassor said:

But...my god Vega looks bad. It's horrible...why? Why would they make someone like him? Ugh.
Most of the gaffes bitching about ME2 bitch about basically every game before it comes out with wanton negative speculation. ME1 and 2 are great in their own ways and likewise have their own unique flaws. The ME3 team did not make Dragon Age 2 get over it, take a deep breath, and wait to play the game.

Gravijah

Nemesis556 said:
Sometimes I feel like GAF just NEEDS to hate on something.

Or love something and then hate it a few months down the track (MGS4).

I do agree that Vega does not look like an endearing character at all, but we know nothing besides the artwork that they've just shown anyway.

He'll be good beef for FemShep to play around with, I guess. OR MAYBE EVEN GAY GAF can get some of that action!

GAF is individuals, man. The people who liked MGS4 before generally still like it now.

Symphonic

DTKT said:
I know they are just images and concepts but the design for Vega just seems bland and uninspired.

Yeah, so did half the character in Dragon Age: Origins. Luckily the game's other non-shitty characters and gameplay carried it into a glorious spotlight.

I'm not saying Vega looks great. I'm just saying that an image isn't enough to determine whether or not the character, and, the game as a whole, will be shit. BioWare are the kings of fucking up their marketing and showing all the wrong things, they've proven this. But they've also proven to make awesome games.

Disregarding Dragon Age 2.

Stumpokapow said:
are the people with positive opinions allowed to express theirs or should i just lock every single pre-release thread on the forum until i get fired for doing so? let me know.

You and I both know that's not what I meant. I'm just trying to understand all the hate.

Top Bottom