• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut is coming next week [Up: Out now, my sweet]

You sound like EA's ideal customer.

I would be satisfied with a Mass Effect 4 announcement. Just like i'm happy that Halo 4 is coming out even though its only being made because Microsoft wants to milk it the Halo franchise.

Or you'd rather have honesty and a shitty ending? That's fine, opinions and morals differ from one person to the next. I vote with my wallet so i simply pay for what i want and think is worth my money, complaining about "THE MAN" and still pouring money into his wallet is a joke.

rozay

Banned

_woLf

Just to confirm, they mean you have to start before you begin the "
Priority: Cerberus Headquarters
" mission, correct?

gatti-man

It's from the ME3 final hours app, Casey Hudson says this is the end of the timeline and future games will take place earlier.

Could obviously be different now. I'm not buying them anyway so it doesn't matter to me.

Id prefer them to be later. We already know the past.

The time it has taken for this to actually arrive has kind of removed any sort of interest in it for me. I know they had to record new dialogue and everything but I'm just not that fussed after all this time. I'd rather have just had some proper DLC.

The fact I'll have to play a good hour of the game again to see this also makes it less interesting.

redcrayon

I'll just YouTube it. No point playing through the last hour again just for some cut scenes and a pisspoor attempt to make the cop-out ending seem like my campaign mattered.

Hero

I urge more people to YT it. Don't give them good numbers about how many people downloaded their free DLC ending so that's one less bullet point they can brag about. I actually don't even have the game anymore since I traded it in right away so I'm content with waiting.

Tucah

you speak so well
I have pretty much no faith that this will be in any way satisfying or fix any problems people had with the ending but I'm sure as hell curious to see Bioware try.

Casey Hudson/Mac Walters YT interview said:
The extended cut is more about taking the things that are already there, and making them shine even more.

Great news, more bloom and lensflare during the updated blue/green/red CG endings!

From the official page

extended_cut-01-p.jpg
Looks like he's deep in some speculations.

Can someone spoil tag what was wrong with the OG ending?

To be honest it would be easier to tell you what wasn't wrong with the OG ending. If you really want to know why the ending is the biggest BS ending in history then pop along to the spoiler topic :-

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=467193

Plenty of info and links available in that topic to explain just how fundamentally the ending of Mass Effect 3 failed to deliver anything.

Can someone spoil tag what was wrong with the OG ending?

So you think you've saved the day and that Shepard and Anderson are going to peacefully die on the Citadel overlooking the Earth, when all of sudden the Magical Thing That Will Stop The Reapers doesn't work and Shepard passes out and and flies up on a magic glowing elevator.

A hologram of a little kid talks to you at the top of the Citadel in space and explains that he's the billions of years old being that created the Reapers. He created this synthetic race of galactic destroyers because he believes that otherwise, all of the galaxy will be destroyed by synthetics because that's what synthetics naturally do (even if you've made a human and synthetic fall in love or made peace in a 300-year-old organic-synthetic war). Shepard just sort of nods his head at this.

Because he brought you to this spot, that means his plan won't work anymore (?) so he asks you to pick three options, 2 of which he admits don't actually solve the "problem" either. You that you can either blow the Reapers up by shooting a tube (which will also kill all your new geth friends in case you were just going to pick that option), take control of all the Reapers and get them to fly away by turning into magic blue space energy (even though "you can't control Reapers" was a major theme of all 3 games), or jump into a laser beam and make everything in the galaxy half-robots with wires and shit on their skin (what?). All three options will blow up all the relays and thus destroy galactic society.

You pick one and the exact same prerendered cutscene plays, but with a different color filter depending on your choice. Joker, your pilot, apparently abandoned you because he's flying the ship away from the solar system before the explosion even happens. Then he crashes on an alien jungle planet and your crew that was on Earth with you not an hour before is somehow on the ship too (also two of your crewmates can't eat normal food so good luck with that). Ham-fisted Adam and Eve reference if you made Joker and the robot lady fall in love and... you're done.

Then after the credits, an old man tells a little kid thousands of years in the future that the entire trilogy was a story.

Then a pop-up asking you to buy DLC.

MechaX

Optimism and Hope are very dangerous drugs...

I think I'll replay ME3 over the weekend, and not even speculate how I'll react if/when the Extended Cut fails to deliver.

Gui_PT

"THANKS FOR PLAYING, NOW BUY OUR NEXT DLC"
*Releases 3 free DLCs*

I know the next single player DLCs will probably cost something.

Yeah pretty sure they're hoping for this extended cut to be a success so they can make non-free dlc

So you think you've saved the day and that Shepard and Anderson are going to peacefully die on the Citadel overlooking the Earth, when all of sudden the Magical Thing That Will Stop The Reapers doesn't work and Shepard passes out and and flies up on a magic glowing elevator.

A hologram of a little kid talks to you at the top of the Citadel in space and explains that he's the billions of years old being that created the Reapers. He created this synthetic race of galactic destroyers because he believes that otherwise, all of the galaxy will be destroyed by synthetics because that's what synthetics naturally do (even if you've made a human and synthetic fall in love or made peace in a 300-year-old organic-synthetic war). Shepard just sort of nods his head at this.

Because he brought you to this spot, that means his plan won't work anymore (?) so he asks you to pick three options, 2 of which he admits don't actually solve the "problem" either. You that you can either blow the Reapers up by shooting a tube (which will also kill all your new geth friends in case you were just going to pick that option), take control of all the Reapers and get them to fly away by turning into magic blue space energy (even though "you can't control Reapers" was a major theme of all 3 games), or jump into a laser beam and make everything in the galaxy half-robots with wires and shit on their skin (what?). All three options will blow up all the relays and thus destroy galactic society.

You pick one and the exact same prerendered cutscene plays, but with a different color filter depending on your choice. Joker, your pilot, apparently abandoned you because he's flying the ship away from the solar system before the explosion even happens. Then he crashes on an alien jungle planet and your crew that was on Earth with you not an hour before is somehow on the ship too (also two of your crewmates can't eat normal food so good luck with that). Ham-fisted Adam and Eve reference if you made Joker and the robot lady fall in love and... you're done.

Then after the credits, an old man tells a little kid thousands of years in the future that the entire trilogy was a story.

Then a pop-up asking you to buy DLC.

your forgot the super secert ending
that after all this jungle planet shot, Shepard wakes up on the planet wearing his n7 gear but his face is all burned/fucked up

Thing I'm most curious about is how they'll address
all the fucking fleets (and racial leaders!) that are now stuck in orbit around Earth with no way to get back home.

Still awful either way. Though it is 2 GBs - I wonder what they stuffed in there, as that's pretty meaty.

CushVA

Expectations = low

I have yet to finish the game, wanted to wait for the DLC, but now I'm thinking it will probably make things worse

Woorloog

Banned
I'll wait for two things before getting back to ME3:
1. Impressions about this
2. Some more side missions (DLC, pref. free, like Overlord, Bring Down the Sky, LotSB...), not that shit "fetch" and "solo mission in a MP map".

If 1. is shit, then i won't be bother with 2.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Regardless of what they do to that ending, I can't see why anyone would buy any DLC unless they are trophy/achievement whores.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Nice - now that's a good turnaround for an announcement.

Since I don't feel like starting from scratch on Insanity and wait that long, I'll load up an old save for the first time, then from scratch with another character whenever I get the time.

I like how they blame the fans for feeling like they had not gotten enough closure and they dance around the massive fucking plot holes
like the Normandy mysteriously ending up on another planet and synthetics suddenly being the most vile thing in the galaxy

Woorloog

Banned
Regardless of what they do to that ending, I can't see why anyone would buy any DLC unless they are trophy/achievement whores.

If the DLC is as good as Overlord or LotSB for ME2, why not? ME3's gameplay is pretty solid (with some control issues and a few squad mates have bad weak abilities).
Though arguably they'd have to be very good for me to get over the ending... that fucking thing destroyed my enjoyment of the whole frigging franchise (and whatever BioWare will make in the future, can't trust them to get any ending right ever again).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If the DLC is as good as Overlord or LotSB for ME2, why not? ME3's gameplay is pretty solid (with some control issues and a few squad mates have bad weak abilities).
Though arguably they'd have to be very good for me to get over the ending... that fucking thing destroyed my enjoyment of the whole frigging franchise (and whatever BioWare will make in the future, can't trust them to get any ending right ever again).

What, you don't want to take back Omega???
Exactly. lol

Unless they actually pacify the stupid indoctrination theory people, anything that happens in the middle of the game doesn't matter.

Top Bottom