• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

Neki

Even upgraded?

yeah when I imagined a turret, I thought the ones the Cerberus combat engineers get, but really, it's some small turret thing that's activated by throwing a grenade. it's okay for drawing fire, but on silver or higher, it dies really fast.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I hope BioWare seriously considers overhauling the class/race selection. Even with all the other rough patches taken into consideration, it's the only part of the multiplayer that feels really amateur and backwards to me. I get that maybe they wanted to include certain restrictions upon the different races, with skills differing between races under a single class, but they still could have done this without the current setup.

It should be race -> class -> loadout. Having male/female variants of humans also seems like a cheap way to extend species unlocks under the current system. I don't necessarily need to be playing as male or female for every species, but there's no reason at all to make male/female humans separate 'characters'.

Don't know if this has been posted on GAF yet, pics of all the weapons in MP:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/shyke/screenshots/?filter=shortcut_48513

Well shit, I thought all those pistol shots were upgraded versions, not actually new weapons. And somebody told me there were only two shotguns, too. :lol

If that's the weapon variety we're getting in the SP too, we're in for a good time.

I hope BioWare seriously considers overhauling the class/race selection. Even with all the other rough patches taken into consideration, it's the only part of the multiplayer that feels really amateur and backwards to me. I get that maybe they wanted to include certain restrictions upon the different races, with skills differing between races under a single class, but they still could have done this without the current setup.

It should be race -> class -> loadout. Having male/female variants of humans also seems like a cheap way to extend species unlocks under the current system. I don't necessarily need to be playing as male or female for every species, but there's no reason at all to make male/female humans separate 'characters'.

I agree. Right now, it just feels random. Someone who has no interest in playing as an asari Vanguard can unlock it from the get-go, while someone who genuinely wants to play as one might have to buy dozens of packs before he gets lucky.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah, the weapon variety is everything from Mass Effect 2, and then some. Lots of stuff.

Unless you like SMGs, in which case there's only the three from ME2 and one more. Talk about getting the shaft.

KKRT00

Don't know if this has been posted on GAF yet, pics of all the weapons in MP:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/shyke/screenshots/?filter=shortcut_48513

03B35861F6EAB1CCEF97D46BBDD35317855D73EC

I like this :)

What game really lack is random stats on weapons, like +5% to rof/ 10% to damage/ 5% chance to freeze enemies etc it would make MP so much deeper and grinding more fun.

Sent a FR to the 360 gaf tag. I generally play my level 16 human engineer. Currently level 5 Incinerate, level 3 Overload, max Alliance Training and level 5 Fitness. Might whip out my low level infiltrator and vanguard for leveling.

EatChildren

Silver is pretty intense. Bronze you can kinda wing, but on Silver it's essential to have minimal lag and a competent squad that works together. At one point there we had to take down targets and they were all fucking Atlas mechs, while also avoiding a barrage of Phantoms. Died on wave ten, unfortunately.

I cannot imagine how hard Gold must be.

Moaradin

I don't think so. Bronze wasn't a snoozefest at low lever. Still died a few times before being able to beat it. Silver you really need to work as a team and be a decent level. I like the difficulty personally. It's been a long time since a game offered such a challenge and great teamplay.

Silver can get pretty intense though. I had a clutch match on the slum level where there was 2 mechs and a bunch of other guys closing in on us during the last part. 30 seconds before the shuttle comes, everyone but me dies and I'm pretty much surrounded by 2 mechs, a bunch assassins, and the rest centurion/snipers. I charge on a sniper on the back so I don't get surrounded, kill him with my shotgun, and charge at a mech at the very last second to win the match. Some of the most crazy shit I've experienced in years.

Oh and Gold is insane. After we beat Silver a couple times we decided to try Gold. Farthest we got was the 4th wave, and we pretty much used up all our Medigels and Rockets. Wave 3 you will get like 2 mechs, 3 assassins, and a bunch of engineers throwing turrets everywhere. By wave 4 we were getting 4 mechs and at least 5 assassins.

03B35861F6EAB1CCEF97D46BBDD35317855D73EC

I like this :)

What game really lack is random stats on weapons, like +5% to rof/ 10% to damage/ 5% chance to freeze enemies etc it would make MP so much deeper and grinding more fun.

Yeah, I could really use the reset powers bonus right about now. I've been playing a Vanguard w/o a single point on Nova (it seemed useless at the time). Everybody is saying it's "so good" so I feel inclined to try it out.

EatChildren

I thought the difficulty spike was appropriate. I only die on bronze if I do some dumb shit, or my team does some dumb shit and I'm the only one alive at the start of a high level wave. Even then I've managed to clear some and complete objectives without support. If you've got a well equipped team that knows how to shoot/slice bronze is a cake walk.

I only played a couple of rounds of silver, and one of those we got to wave ten, so it isn't impossible. It's much harder, but the spike is a nice mix of tough dudes and pressure to perform your best. I find it makes for a tighter team, sticking together, healing and trying cover all your weaknesses.

Even when being rushed by phantoms we managed. Land a couple of headshots from cloak and they're boned.

Yeah, I could really use the reset powers bonus right about now. I've been playing a Vanguard w/o a single point on Nova (it seemed useless at the time). Everybody is saying it's "so good" so I feel inclined to try it out.
The trick I found with the vanguard is to maximize power recharge by going in with a pistol and SMG or just a shotgun. Th other really important thing is to pick up the version of charge the regens shields. I find the vast majority of my kills come from nova at this point. I'm completely useless against atlas mechs though.

rakhir

Yep cant login too.
Ok, i panicked and thought something is wrong with my pc. Thanks. EDIT: it's working again for me.

The difficulty curve is fantastic - i've had matches when i was struggling to survive in bronze because of the team composition and lack of cooperation, but another time we destroyed whole silver with only three people in the party.

raz3r

Neo Member
I thought I'd never say that but still... Multiplayer looks great! Much more than SP, at least in the demo. Anyway feel free to add me on Origin ;)

GAF: raz3r | Origin: raz3rITA

Are you playing as a human? Turians and Krogans can't roll.

Also for anyone on 360 that wants to play, my GT is my GAF name, Absoludacrous.

Ah! That must be it: I've been playing as a Turian since I started on PC (I got a Turian Sentinel with my first Recruit Pack). Sucks they can't roll -- dodging grenades with them is kinda a pain. But, alas, they are my favorite race.

Silver is pretty intense. Bronze you can kinda wing, but on Silver it's essential to have minimal lag and a competent squad that works together. At one point there we had to take down targets and they were all fucking Atlas mechs, while also avoiding a barrage of Phantoms. Died on wave ten, unfortunately.

I cannot imagine how hard Gold must be.

I tried Gold with some friends yesterday, we all made sure to equip armor/ammo/weapon bonuses, and still only made it to Wave 7.

We had something like 7 Atlases and 5-6 Phantoms that round. It was absolutely ridiculous.

soldier frag grenades, go for splash range when you get the choice, then work on the class to increase attack power to 27.5%.

Thank me later.

Guesong

So this MP does not scale at all, right?

Be it 2 or 4 players, you end up having the same number of enemy forces to deal with?

EatChildren

We had something like 7 Atlases and 5-6 Phantoms that round. It was absolutely ridiculous.

Guuuh. I find that unless the team is pushing armour piercing rounds (or grenades), you're in a lot of trouble. Seems like anything above bronze requires most of the team to be equipped with rockets, which most people will have by then, but still. You need them for the wave of Atlas.

I've found that phantoms are less trouble than they seem. They're tough if they get in close, but they like to play hide-and-seek beforehand, which means they squat behind a lot of cover and that makes for an easy headshot. A cloaked headshot with my Mantis IV will one hit kill a phantom on silver.

Speaking of, finally got through a silver round with the full team intact. We played really, really well, and despite nobody using a mic managed to cover all our angles quickly and efficiently. The final wave during extraction was thankfully devoid of phantoms. It was mostly guardians, which can be trouble but due to their slow speed never made it to the extraction point in time, and four atlas mechs. Their slow speed made them tolerable too, and we managed to take two down before they got too close. We were all focusing fire so it was a pretty easy extraction.

Since the demo is limited to Cerberus enemies, it's really easy to build a class that exploits their volubilities. Cyro is invaluable, and given phantoms appear to be the only enemy with a warp barrier (that is easily taken down) disrupter rounds are the next best thing. Armour piercing is also great, as it eats up turrets and atlas mechs for breakfast. Given all but the phantoms are ranged enemies too the enemies, as varied as they are, become quickly manageable. None use biotics either.

The full game will have at least three 'factions' of enemies. It should be interesting to see how builds best suited for Cerberus go up against others. Especially the Reaper/husk faction, given they should be more close range and rush tactic focused.

So this MP does not scale at all, right?

Be it 2 or 4 players, you end up having the same number of enemy forces to deal with?

I think it does. It's most noticeable in the opening round.

raphier

Banned
Anyone want me join to their ranks as a newbie punk on PC? I'd like to see what ME-Gaf is made of!

My EAID is Raphiercon.

soldier frag grenades, go for splash range when you get the choice, then work on the class to increase attack power to 27.5%.

Thank me later.

Thats how i play bro guaranteed 3~4 kills at the start of a round on bronze and first couple rounds on silver.
And spamming concussive rounds.

Sephon

I can't believe how much I'm enjoying the multiplayer.
After taking my engineer up to level 16 I tried out a vanguard, and I'm not going back ;)

Trying out silver with pugs but keep getting wiped at around wave 6 all the time, and I actually don't like seeing my score being 3 times higher than everone elses. It's fun in the beginning but I'm only average so I must keep getting matched with immature kids or something.

I've added a few of you guys here, if anyone want to put me on the ME3 list just add:

Origin: SKoplik80

EatChildren

~10 veteran packs bought and still no new character. I still have the default ones. What. The. Hell.

Every single new character I've unlocked, bar one (which was my starter pack, ironically) has been a double up of a human character of the same gender.

I've had at least ten 'character unlocks' without unlocking anything.

Xanathus

Every single new character I've unlocked, bar one (which was my starter pack, ironically) has been a double up of a human character of the same gender.

I've had at least ten 'character unlocks' without unlocking anything.

In the demo, you can only unlock one alien race for each class. It is impossible to get a pack with one of the aliens or the other gender human. Basically if you want another race unlock, keep buying veterans packs because those are the only ones (aside from the free starter pack) that can unlock alien races.

EatChildren

In the demo, you can only unlock one alien race for each class. It is impossible to get a pack with one of the aliens or the other gender human. Basically if you want another race unlock, keep buying veterans packs.

What?

~10 veteran packs bought and still no new character. I still have the default ones. What. The. Hell.

I managed to get 6 male adepts. I'm not sure whats worse.

So I keep falling through the world. Is that because I'm zipping around all the time as vanguard or is that a bug that happens to the other classes too?

Xanathus

The only unlockable alien races are Adept Asari, Soldier Krogan, Engineer Quarian, Infiltrator Salarian, Sentinel Turian and Vanguard Drell. Other race class combos like Vanguard Asari cannot be unlocked, at least in the demo build. Also you can't unlock the other gender of the human class that you start with.

EatChildren

The only unlockable alien races are Adept Asari, Soldier Krogan, Engineer Quarian, Infiltrator Salarian, Sentinel Turian and Vanguard Drell. Other race class combos like Vanguard Asari cannot be unlocked, at least in the demo build.

Right. But I'm saying I've unlocked a lot of characters, and all but one have been double ups of existing character, eg: male adept x infinity. And that sucks :p

Man, I'm loving the multiplayer.

But I'm getting disconnected from every other game. Whether I can't even get into a game, it crashes after we leave the lobby, or some message about an EA disconnect, I'm only getting 1/10 succesful connects.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Right. But I'm saying I've unlocked a lot of characters, and all but one have been double ups of existing character, eg: male adept x infinity. And that sucks :p

Yeah its not right, I dont mind the system so much, but the odds are a bit too extreme. Ive gotten lucky and in my starter pack I unlocked a Turian Sentinal and recently I unlocked a Krogan soldier, but other than that in the some dozen Veteran packs and then probably two dozen recruitment packs I havent unlocked anything very good. Not even unique weapons save for the Revenant.

I do now I have like 50 of those health packs that I never use and probably should. I do like how even though you may own 50+ health/shield and another 50+ ammo packs and the like you only can carry two into a match, so you still have to be smart when you use them, even if you have a ton to spare.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Stasis bubble is the best thing. The best.

Seriously. It's especially great since it doesn't care about shields and barriers unlike Singularity and Throw (and I think Pull). Guardians just drop their shields immediately. If a Phantom is rushing towards me (or really any enemy getting too close), just put in in a bubble and kill it. I really want to try a Drell Adept, but I don't see how Pull can be any better than Stasis Bubble. An Asari Vanguard with Stasis Bubble and a fully powered Biotic Charge is going to be fucking insane.

GSR

Just realized I never actually threw out my Origin username here. It's BoltGSR; at the moment I'm rolling Engineer most rounds.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member

At least you get 12.5k XP for each of those Adept cards. And extra customization options.

Stasis bubble is the best thing. The best.

This guy knows what's up. Best way to take out phantoms I've found so far. Asari Adept + Stasis Bubble + Sniper = everything dies. Had a round last night on Silver where myself and a friendly infiltrator were covering the landing pad on white base. As each enemy popped up on the pad I'd stasis them and he'd headshot them at hiss leisure while they were stuck in place. Not a single person actually made it on to the platform. Teamwork! :D

Seriously. It's especially great since it doesn't care about shields and barriers unlike Singularity and Throw (and I think Pull). Guardians just drop their shields immediately. If a Phantom is rushing towards me (or really any enemy getting too close), just put in in a bubble and kill it. I really wanted to use a Drell Adept, but I don't see how Pull can be any better than Stasis Bubble. An Asari Vanguard with Stasis Bubble and a fully powered Biotic Charge is going to be fucking insane.

Have you figured out how to get it to land on guardians all the time? I've found that placing the bubble in front of them so that they walk through it seems to give the best chance, but it's not 100%.

Top Bottom