• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 SPOILER THREAD: LOTS OF SPECULATION FROM EVERYONE

Status
Not open for further replies.
SPOILER ALERT: TALI'S A STOCK PHOTO

http://i.imgur.com/qhEJn.jpg

0NZO4.gif

HAHAHAHA....Oh, BioWare. I knew you genuinely weren't giving a shit. Next thing you know we'll find out its been lifted from somebody's Deviantart account

Tookay

^ Well, that one was intentional at least, with the cinematic trailer popping up during Walking Dead's commercial break.

So. I've seen all three now in-game. Interesting. I'm not really sure how they could ever make another game set after any of these endings.

I suppose they could Halo 4 it - whoever survived is on the Normandy and on this new uncharted world. They could also just reset and have a sequel thousands of years off - but I'm not sure I want to play a Mass Effect game without Mass Relays and that galactic society. With the Citadel going boom (also how many people live there?! Big body count when that explodes) that's all gone. I'd be happy to accept games playing as whatever, whoever - but that galactic society is what made this series tick, I think. I'm not sure if I want games without that.

I love the endings in concept, though - they're bold, ballsy decisions (even if pulled in part from Deus Ex) especially because it offers very little closure on the characters that are so loved. I think a lot of people wanted to see Shepard and love interest settle down, or sail off into the sunset, and that won't happen. I naturally picked Synergy, but I was curious if one of the endings would let my Shepard survive and have his crop of blue babies with Liara - but no. I figured Destroy, the selfish option, would, but it doesn't.

That's my only complaint, as I like these characters; but I feel like all the endings wrap up the universe in a fine way - but it's all awfully final. I can see a lot of fans being unhappy that they didn't get their super happy ending.

The endings are the main topic of discussion, but what I wanted to talk about briefly was the downtime before the ending. After taking down The Illusive Man there's one last bit of quiet on the Normandy, and going around and hearing the entire crew tell you what a pleasure it's been was great.

As a loyal Liara romancer, it was really very sweet to enter the gun battery and find Garrus and Tali in a clinch. They try to shake it off as nothing, but Shepard just tells them he's happy for them and there's a bit of cool dialogue between the two. As the two core cast across all the games, it was really nice to see them get some closure - in a sense.

As a note, I felt like the romance was really handled in a much more mature way than in ME1 and 2. The dialogue there is - with Liara, at least - really gave off the impression of the pair being a proper item rather than just squadmates who fuck before their most dangerous mission. I was quite surprised to have Liara approach and ask what was up with their status early on - within the first few hours - and that gave the relationship more room to breathe.

Later, after battling your way through London, there's downtime. You're in a heavily under-siege, surrounded camp. This is literally the last chance to talk before the last battle and lengthy, talky finale. All your squadmates are scattered around, and you can share nice little moments with each of them. Garrus and Shepard bro it up. Liara did one of those weird Asari hallucination things to have a private kiss. Ashley was a boring bitch. Even Vega had something interesting to say.

There was another nice reward for longer-time players, too - a comms outpost which let you dial in and have hologram calls to set your peace with those still standing - in my case Kasumi, Zaeed, Grunt, Miranda, Jacob, Samara and Jack - whose voice actor put in a pretty good performance in that particular moment as she sounded terrified - so out of character for Jack - but still identifiably her. It was a really nice touch. Wrex actually happens to be in the camp, as he's leading the Krogan part of the ground assault, so you exchange words in person.

While the actual, final endings left things to be desired for me, it was these character moments, the pay-offs for the relationships through the past two games, that made ME3's ending satisfying for me.

The Gurren Lagann thing is hilariously forced, considering that it ended around the same time that ME1 was released, you know, the game that presented this evil genocidal machines which script was already done before those episodes were aired.

DING DING.

Oh God. And the first season of Gurren Lagann has Lordgenome as the main antagonist. A human who gives up fighting the Antispirals and betrays the rest of his kind because he sees the hopeless of fighting against them and their cause.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Every time I think it can't get any worse, something new surfaces. It's obvious Bioware wasn't trying at all if they couldn't bother to put in the effort to make their own Tali.

I understand that things like this happen much more often than we think because most games don't undergo this level of scrutiny, but I think it's perfectly fair given the amount of praise it's getting from the press.

shingonation said:
The Gurren Lagann thing is hilariously forced, considering that it ended around the same time that ME1 was released, you know, the game that presented this evil genocidal machines which script was already done before those episodes were aired.
It's a good thing the spoiler for the Reapers' motivation is from ME3 then. Also that it's probably mostly a joke.

njean777

So can somebody post the ending, because I just want to know. I had all my characters survive in ME2 so I dont know if that affects the ending.

NVM just found out, well I dont know if I even want to play it now, god Bioware just completely wrecks all of their new series.

Serious

I did like most of the ending sequence. Fighting through Earth's streets was intense on Insanity, especially at the end when you have a Reaper taking potshots, Banshees coming at you constantly, 2 - 3 Brutes at a time...the combat in this game is so much better than ME2 as an Engineer, and while I know a lot of people don't care about the combat (or claim not to, anyway), it does matter. Having one last talk with your squadmates felt nice, etc etc. The only thing that I was kind of iffy on (besides the ending) was the final talk with TIM. Very, VERY reminiscent of the last conversation with Saren (at least as a Paragon), but it was done well.

I don't even know how to feel about the ending. I was expecting something bizarre, but the Synthesis ending...I mean, I had to choose it, it was too weird not to, but...yeah. Kind of annoying that Shepard seems to die no matter what (unless I've missed something, and I don't think I have), but that's not such a big deal.

The dream sequences were just weird. I did like how they add dialogue as the game progresses, but I just did not care about that kid. It's more of a storytelling device than a plot point I guess, in my eyes at least, so it didn't bug as much as it probably should have. Not a big deal to me, there's only a few dream sequences, but that first one really threw me off. I wonder if the dreams are any different if you have one of those "everyone dies" ME2 saves.

I liked most of the characters. I liked Vega more than Jacob, at any rate. Would've rather had a real Krogan instead, but he wasn't too bad. Kaidan was alright, though half the team it felt like he was trying to flirt with me, and then the dialogue just didn't go in that direction. I did not like Allers much at all, and her entire character just felt off, both in voice acting and design (seriously, what the hell is she wearing?). Traynor was awesome though, definitely going to romance her next time I do another Femshep runthough.

Character interaction is much better than it was in the first two games. It was nice to see most of the crew (besides Liara) actually wandering around the ship/Citadel, doing crap besides sit in their corner waiting for you to come talk to them. Some fun conversations there. Setting up Joker/EDI was really amusing for me.

Someone was asking about Miranda earlier: You run into her a few times on the Citadel, she think her father's found her sister (again), she tracking leads, this is something she has to do, blah blah. You do run into her during one of the later missions in the game. Most of the ME2 squadmates are like that, involved in a sidequest on the Citadel or a side mission (but an actual mission, not some N7 ME2 style crap). A couple are more involved in the main plot.

Overall I did like the game. The very end is just bizarre and there's some pacing issues, but for the most part, it's an improvement over ME2, which I enjoyed over ME1.

Orayn

DING DING.

Oh God. And the first season of Gurren Lagann has Lordgenome as the main antagonist. A human who gives up fighting the Antispirals and betrays the rest of his kind because he sees the hopeless of fighting against them and their cause.

I told you. In another Mass Effect thread, I revealed that Mass Effect was a prequel to Gurren-Lagann. AND NOW I HAVE BEEN VINDICATED!

I'm not even going to play this crummy game.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Edit: Nvm, it was apparently /V/ or reddit trolling again. Should have figured after they faked the Hepler comment about ME3.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
what was /v/ or reddit trolling again? source?

Well, I can't guarantee it's either, but someone doctored up a relatively "well-written" post by "Stanley Woo" in regards to Ashley having a "big secret" (basically referring to her being a Transsexual), similar to how someone faked a Jennifer Hepler post about gay education for your shipmates in ME3.

I didn't put any weight in it being true, just thought it was interesting regarding some of the other massive trolling that's going on. Then I thought better of giving the site on which I was reading more hits.

edit: lol, I didn't see that Tali stock pic. That's hilarious.

Tacitus_

The game really managed to blow it's momentum in the ending. In the middle you have amazing stuff like the missions with the krogans (Grunt!) and the coup in the Citadel (Thane :< ), culminating to the raid on the Cerberus facility and the final assault on Earth.

Then it went more stupid than the SW prequels. I mean, what the fuck.

From what I hear everyone loves the big send-off with your squad characters before you face the end yourself. Maybe people can just pretend Shepard never did that and they just all went out in a blaze of glory and saved the galaxy by blowing up the head Reaper in a conventional battle.

pa22word

SPOILER ALERT: TALI'S A STOCK PHOTO

spoonywtf.jpg

There are no words.

From what I hear everyone loves the big send-off with your squad characters before you face the end yourself. Maybe people can just pretend Shepard never did that and they just all went out in a blaze of glory and saved the galaxy by blowing up the head Reaper in a conventional battle.

So I take it this is the game that finally dethrones MGS4's ending for the worst conclusion for a running series ever?

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I just caught up with the manshep and Kaidan romance. Turns out it's actually pretty touching!

So with the prologue and endings in mind (we fight or we die waaah) isn't it obvious that only some of the writing team really cared? Some of this stuff is cringeworthy, but when it hits it hits.

Garrus and Shep taking shots in the Citadel was nice.

pa22word

ME3's ending cutscene is much shorter.

Length doesn't really have that much to do with what makes that ending so terrible in relation to the rest of the series, but it certainly doesn't help lol

And MGS is getting more games.

Notice I said conclusion. Peace Walker and what little we know of MGS5 builds to the events of Metal Gear 1, while MGS4 still sits at the end of the timeline. Revengance is a spin off, and is likely unrelated to the overarching plot of the series other than the fact a dude named Raiden in a Ninja suit is the main character.

Like it or not, MGS4 is still the conclusion to the MGS series...and it remains to this day an extremely poor conclusion.

But anyways, enough MGS talk. Let's continue to laugh at the behest of Bioware.

Bringing up MGS4 is interesting though because we can compare and contrast both how that ending fared, and how fans responded to it. In ME 3's case the consensus seems to be the fate of the mass relays sucks and the videos are all variations of each other with a color filter applied, and there's been massive fan outrage. I wonder when there have been other high profile endings to long-running game series. Maybe this is why every Final Fantasy game is set in a different universe.

Also it's interesting to compare ME 3 with other serial series' endings like BSG and Lost or The Matrix and Pirates of the Caribbean.

Kem0sabe

Next ME3 run will done with the sole objective of detecting every asset bioware ripped off from someone else or badly photoshoped over...

Mad_Ban

Do the Relays get destroyed in the Synergy ending also? :(

It's also kind of interesting to see in the ending scene on the wintery planet that the old man telling the story mentions it happened so long ago, it's hard to get all the right details. It kind of leaves a way open for games set post ME3.

Will be weird with no relays or Citadel though. :(

Dave1988

It's also kind of interesting to see in the ending scene on the wintery planet that the old man telling the story mentions it happened so long ago, it's hard to get all the right details. It kind of leaves a way open for games set post ME3.

Don't worry. The Mass Effect MMO will bring in new relays as paid expansions.

The relays get destroyed in every ending, there is literally no difference in the outcome apart from the color of the laser. Your characters you worked so hard to save during the story, all dead! Love, Bioware

P.S. Don't forget to buy Alternate Sensible Ending DLC only 1600 MSP in the coming months!

Has Sprite Effect been posted yet?

I got Kelly chambers killed in the citadel since I didn't bother having her change her identity.. Also mordins death :(

So Miranda was the only character that you couldn't sleep with in the Normandy?

The relays get destroyed in every ending, there is literally no difference in the outcome apart from the color of the laser. Your characters you worked so hard to save during the story, all dead! Love, Bioware

P.S. Don't forget to buy Alternate Sensible Ending DLC only 1600 MSP in the coming months!

Has Sprite Effect been posted yet?

How is everyone dead? Other than all synthetics (EDI, yourself and the Geth included) in the Destroy ending, everyone survives. The lasers change their nature to part synthetic or only effects the Reapers.

How is everyone dead? Other than all synthetics (EDI, yourself and the Geth included) in the Destroy ending, everyone survives. The lasers change their nature to part synthetic or only effects the Reapers.

If by survives you mean stranded on an deserted planet then you're right. If you want to take solace in that then by all means. Maybe Shep can save them with space magic in future paid DLC.

Mad_Ban

Looks like we have a Galactic dark age then! :p

It's hard to imagine a game in the Mass Effect universe post ME3 that will ever have enemies that have the urgency and threat the Reapers have.

On second thought, my last post was probably too many words when ME 3's endings are all the same except with different colors.

That said, the choices those endings are supposed to represent (destroy, control, merge) are interesting. Problem with many games is they keep on ramping up the threat level until the authors have written themselves into a corner. MGS did the same except instead of bumping up the threat level it was the number of conspiracies.

So, given the situation they were in, how could Bioware have possibly given a satisfying ending to ME 3? Or at least made it less unsatisfying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom