• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Were the Reapers planning on wiping out the Vorcha? If not, the Take Back Omega DLC could be based around it becoming overrun with them after a large percentage of the other races were killed there. Shepard and Aria trying to get it back under control, maybe.

Take Back Omega will be about Shepard helping Aria remove Cerberus from Omega.

McNei1y

That Grunt scene was epic.

Grunt was perhaps my favorite character from ME2. There was something about his dialogue that always made me laugh/chuckle.

When it looked like he was going to die, I got so sad. Mordin and Thane had just died and they were my second/third favorite characters. I figured it was inevitable that he was going to die.

I was like a little kid on Christmas when he came out that cave.

hahahah. I feel like we had the same exact playthrough and expressions. I remember saying something outloud to myself "oh come on there just offing every character I like..."

then he comes out all badass

I think he can die though, if you pick the right choices. If you didn't save the rachni queen or something.

I was just reading this on the Mass Effect Wiki. It's pretty interesting that the Rachni Queen could actually be there as well.

Rokam

I seem to recall something before ME3's release that Omega was going to very important. Whatever happened to that? Was it part of the leaked story?

Replicant

I think he can die though, if you pick the right choices. If you didn't save the rachni queen or something.
If you didn't do his loyalty mission back in ME2 and you insisted on staying longer to free the Rachni queen (instead of fleeing right away), he'll die while holding the line for Shepard and others.

If he's loyal, you can do whatever you want and he'll survive.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA
VZo0h.gif

Take Back Omega will be about Shepard helping Aria remove Cerberus from Omega.
I hope that Aria is a PC. :O

Omega

Banned
What is this Omega DLC rumor?

Doesn't Aria say "when this is all over I plan on taking back Omega"

Shepard is dead. Cerberus is dead. There's no mass relays. How does she take back Omega?

rdrr gnr

It's quite ingenious really.

For example, the synthesis ending is a direct point to Clarke's third law. The player has the choice therefore to reject this law and thus reject that the Reapers are gods.

The destruction ending is a direct commentary by Walters on OSC's view of gay marriage. By showing the destruction of geth, he is obviously representing homophobia in the sense that the Geth, or synthetics in general, will never get along with organics.

Control is obviously a dialogue on the 'Three Laws'. Since the Reapers don't obey these laws, the player as Shepard can thus enforce these laws on the lawless Reapers. It's trying to adapt these foreign Reapers into a set of laws that can be used to govern their current actions. This way the Reapers can be properly instituted into society as people can depend on them.

So in the end the player is choosing their perceptions of classical science fiction authors and which direction they want to take the universe. One full of magic, one with discrimination and one that is traditional. It's very meta but still very genius.
At least you're dedicated.

hateradio

Shepard is dead. Cerberus is dead. There's no mass relays. How does she take back Omega?
Before Shep dies, obviously. All planned DLC is pre-Cerberus mission.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

It was in the original script, and is a likely DLC scenario. In the original script Zaeed was to appear on Omega, re-hired by Cerberus, as your enemy. The mission got cut for whatever reason, though is almost certainly going to re-appear as ME3 DLC.

They'll probably just reword Aria's dialogue to start the mission pre-end game, not unlike Liara hunting the Shadow Broker in ME2.

mxgt

Banned
It's quite ingenious really.

For example, the synthesis ending is a direct point to Clarke's third law. The player has the choice therefore to reject this law and thus reject that the Reapers are gods.

The destruction ending is a direct commentary by Walters on OSC's view of gay marriage. By showing the destruction of geth, he is obviously representing homophobia in the sense that the Geth, or synthetics in general, will never get along with organics.

Control is obviously a dialogue on the 'Three Laws'. Since the Reapers don't obey these laws, the player as Shepard can thus enforce these laws on the lawless Reapers. It's trying to adapt these foreign Reapers into a set of laws that can be used to govern their current actions. This way the Reapers can be properly instituted into society as people can depend on them.

So in the end the player is choosing their perceptions of classical science fiction authors and which direction they want to take the universe. One full of magic, one with discrimination and one that is traditional. It's very meta but still very genius.

You poor soul

MG310

Have to say the poorly photoshopped photo of a model they used to reveal unmasked Tali was pretty weak - though I really loved how the romance played out from 2 into 3 and up through the end of the Geth/Quarian war.

Kinda made it worth Miranda dying to get the scene of Tali getting drunk in the crew lounge immediately afterward.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Have to say the poorly photoshopped photo of a model they used to reveal unmasked Tali was pretty weak - though I really loved how the romance played out from 2 into 3 and up through the end of the Geth/Quarian war.

Kinda made it worth Miranda dying to get the scene of Tali getting drunk in the crew lounge immediately afterward.
You get that scene whether she lives or dies...

McNei1y

It was in the original script, and is a likely DLC scenario. In the original script Zaeed was to appear on Omega, re-hired by Cerberus, as your enemy.

Oh man, fighting Zaeed? That would've been fun.

I was hoping someone like Zaeed, Jacob, or Miranda would be important enemies of yours but I guess all of them got away from Cerberus easily.

Replicant

Tali gets drunk whether Miranda dies or not.

As for Aria DLC, buy the DLC and see how it affects the ending: purple ending added!!!

Omega

Banned
Sorry but that's just dumb.

Why would Shepard help her take back Omega when he's focused on trying to take down the Reapers and she gave her word that she'll help you if you solved her little problem with the three groups.

If they edit the dialogue to make it seem as if Aria never said "after this is over" than that's even worse.

If this DLC actually is real I'm officially done with BioWare. No one cares about Omega and who wants to fight Cerberus some more? They're extremely boring enemies that pose no challenge at all. Not to mention that none of this matters because of the ending. What motivation is there to do this?

Yeah Aria, I'll help you take back Omega just for you to never actually go back to it.

Jarmel

Banned
I forgot to mention other stuff such as the elevator rising is a parody of games that tend to elevate their main characters to religious symbols. In this case, Walters chose to make this literal to make the parody as obvious as possible.

I thought the OSC reference was pretty obvious especially with the epilogue as I thought that was a reference to OSC's Hamlet. The ghost kid was another reference to his Hamlet.

Walshicus

Miranda lived in my game and I still got the Tali drunk scene. Seemed a bit weird though.

Edit: Jarmel, its not funny...

rdrr gnr

I forgot to mention other stuff such as the elevator rising is a parody of games that tend to elevate their main characters to religious symbols. In this case, Walters chose to make this literal to make the parody as obvious as possible.

I thought the OSC reference was pretty obvious especially with the epilogue as I thought that was a reference to OSC's Hamlet. The ghost kid was another reference to his Hamlet.
Ban.

MC Safety

Tali gets drunk whether Miranda dies or not.

As for Aria DLC, buy the DLC and see how it affects the ending: purple ending added!!!

Plus you get five war score points and the satisfaction of knowing you helped a crime lord retake her headquarters from a terrorist organization.

See, this DLC package won't make a lick of sense coming after the fact. Cerberus has been wrecked, and what in the hell would Cerberus want with Omega anyway?

hateradio

If they edit the dialogue to make it seem as if Aria never said "after this is over" than that's even worse.
After this is over could mean anything. And I thought there was some implication that you would hep her. Sadly, that was cut.

I thought the elevator part was obvious, too.

As for OSC, I don't know who he is.

jediyoshi

Why would Shepard help her take back Omega when he's focused on trying to take down the Reapers and she gave her word that she'll help you if you solved her little problem with the three groups.

If you start applying logic as to why Shepard does almost anything after leaving Sol, everything starts breaking.

rdrr gnr

I was listening to the soundtrack on YouTube, from the comments:
Child: Can I hear another story about the Shepard?
Old man: Did you buy the dlc?
Child: No.
Old man: Then go to bed kid.
Weird, I think a Gaffer posted that in th first OT, lol
Welp, that's what I get for thinking a YouTube comment was original. Funny, nonetheless.

If this DLC actually is real I'm officially done with BioWare. No one cares about Omega and who wants to fight Cerberus some more? They're extremely boring enemies that pose no challenge at all. Not to mention that none of this matters because of the ending. What motivation is there to do this?

Yeah Aria, I'll help you take back Omega just for you to never actually go back to it.

Why does Shepard do anything in ME3? War assets! If anything, taking back Omega is one of the less contrived ways to boost your number that apparently doesn't matter too much unless it's below 1750 or above 5000.

Bruiserk

If the IT is true, what would happen after the scene where he takes a breath? (and does it only happen if you pick the red explosion ending?) Would he just get up and destroy the reapers having overcome indoctrination?

rdrr gnr

You can't prove me wrong though. This is just as valid an interpretation as any other.
I think you underestimate how encompassing Walters wanted to be in his ludo-narrative. For Walters, he did not want to disparage or parody lesser-talents like Asimov and Clarke, he wanted to transcend them. That philosophy is manifest in the final three decisions. Each decision represents departures from traditional, contemporary, and newly-emerging styles of writing. However, the fact that all endings are the same narrative and no decision really matters means convey the impossibility of such a task. The utter failure of Walters to deliver a compelling tale is ironic and intentional in nature: he is conceding his hubris.

Hero

If the indoctrination theory is true then what the fuck was the point of the Stargazer sequence? Doesn't make sense, sorry.

rdrr gnr

If the IT is true, what would happen after the scene where he takes a breath? (and does it only happen if you pick the red explosion ending?) Would he just get up and destroy the reapers having overcome indoctrination?
Shepard gets up and he is VERY ANGRY.
Shepard proceeds to rip off his armor while this plays in the background.
The Reapers never saw it coming.

hateradio

If the indoctrination theory is true then what the fuck was the point of the Stargazer sequence? Doesn't make sense, sorry.
Not only that, but there are lines in the game's script that indicate that that scene is 10,000 years after the events of ME3. So it's all real. The game is over.

Jarmel

Banned
I think you underestimate how encompassing Walters wanted to be in his ludo-narrative. For Walters, he did not want to disparage or parody lesser-talents like Asimov and Clarke, he wanted to transcend them. That philosophy is manifest in the final three decisions. Each decision represents departures from traditional, contemporary, and newly-emerging styles of writing. However, the fact that all endings are the same narrative and no decision really matters means convey the impossibility of such a task. The utter failure of Walters to deliver a compelling tale is ironic and intentional in nature: he is conceding his hubris.

However since the story takes place inside a framing device, couldn't you say that this is Walters critiquing not himself but the franchise as a whole? Since the old man is telling the story, this could be interpreted as Walters commenting on the linearity of the ME franchise in that since everything is the same in the end, nothing matters thus the Mass Effect franchise doesn't matter.

If you interpret it this way then you could say that Walters was indeed critiquing himself.

This concurrent theme of paradoxes was represented all throughout the ending such as the Reaper's motivation.

EatChildren

Why do anything in Mass Effect 3? None of it matters in the end.

Take Back Omega will be just like all the single player DLC we'll for ME3, and what we got for ME2: random side missions.

Ok, so I feel the need to pull up a chair. I finished this last night.

Five years making my choices, chosing my bro's and my Waifu and I get this fucking shit. I could forgive TIMs indoctrination and his human control powers because it was at least plausible within the universe. Everything was awesome up until the jesus elevator.

I fully expected Shepard to die, but not in this shitty manner.

It won't change the fact that it was the best game series I've ever played, but man. I need to go ly dow.

Mostly I'm upset I won't get Mass Effect 4: The Adventures of Garrus. I don't even know if my bro survived earth :(

Top Bottom