• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

J-Rod

Is there a write up anywhere that attempts to make sense of the ending(s)? I don't get that being there proves there is hope when it sounded like they did half the work by building it. It seems the solution would work fine I they didn't do half the labor in fucking it up. Why leave the decision up to Shep even when one solution isn't even a solution by their definition and destroys them too? One minute you're storming the beam with your party and the next they are back on the Normandy unscathed.

If they explained the repercussions of your choice afterwards, then it would have still been a shitty story, but at least it would have been a story.

Dresden

ME3 needed to have the warm and fuzzy end of the trilogy feel (ala ROTK) to have a chance at GOTY.

Shouldn't that fantastic Google Doc that cripples every single notion of the ME3 ending being an "ending" be in the OP too?

Edit: Especially for people just beating the game and needing some well thought out shit to support their feelings that what they just witnessed was nonsense.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/...0H84DlCTUmzQ_uQh1voTUs/preview?pli=1&sle=true

Cheech

Let me just say that returning a game because you didn't like the ending is one of the most petty asshole things I've heard.

Also, doing it to make a "statement" to Bioware/EA does nothing, since Amazon simply eats the price of the game.

Petrichor

It would have been a nice little plot twist if when the illusive man walked out at the end of ME3, it was revealed that he HAD in fact put a control chip in Commander Shepherd's head. This would have been a much more suitable explanation for why TIM was able to force Shepherd into shooting Anderson (the rest of the encounter could have played out as normal)

Derrick01

Banned
Let me just say that returning a game because you didn't like the ending is one of the most petty asshole things I've heard.

Also, doing it to make a "statement" to Bioware/EA does nothing, since Amazon simply eats the price of the game.

It could cut into their DLC plans though. Can't buy what you don't have.

McNei1y

holy shit I love this thread!

I stayed up until 6am last night since this was my only time to trek through ME3 and man what a waste of time. The game was good... the plot at the end blew monkey shit though. Marauder Shields for ever.

Dilly

Banned
It would have been a nice little plot twist if when the illusive man walked out at the end of ME3, it was revealed that he HAD in fact put a control chip in Commander Shepherd's head. This would have been a much more suitable explanation for why TIM was able to force Shepherd into shooting Anderson (the rest of the encounter could have played out as normal)

Uhm, and Anderson?

Dresden

It could cut into their DLC plans though. Can't buy what you don't have.

Well, selling the game or just not buying the DLC would do.

I'd return my game back to Amazon if I could, not because I want to make a stance or whatever, I'd just like sixty dollars back in my account. Totally shameless.

I still maintain that the overall game isn't nearly as good as many are asserting, a solid ending would've done a lot to push me over the edge though lulz.

Turfster

Uhm, and Anderson?

Anderson was born in London, man. It was obviously an allegory of how the US (TIM) controls British politics (Anderson). You just don't get it man, you just don't get it. Walters writes deep things that make you think, my sweet.

Dany

Banned
Romancing Steve is OK, wished I had kaiden alive, might have to do that with a new character.

Also, I totally told Ashely off and now she's sending me emails about working on the crucible.

So my squad is only 5 people, would have been less without Garrus and Javik. The least amount of crew members you can have is Edi, Liara and Vega.

I still maintain that the overall game isn't nearly as good as many are asserting, a solid ending would've done a lot to push me over the edge though lulz.

It depends how you look at it. If you look at it from just a shooter game play standpoint then its pretty mediocre. If you look at it from a character development/story/companion interaction standpoint then its pretty good.

Except for Kai Leng.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I bought all the story DLC for the previous games, but I won't be for ME3 unless they fix shit. Funny that the endings are pretty similar to Deus Ex, but with DE I wasn't even as close to as invested as ME.

If the ending was done correctly there could have been some pretty cool DLC, unfortunately we will never see it. Also I don't think we will get a new ending, that would mean they would need to get most of the voice cast back. Not sure how difficult that would be.

lotrfan

Neo Member
Why the ending is bad has been covered but my main issue was the feeling that Shepard would not go for any of these options and how I felt like a puppet (no saying on the outcome). How about a 4th option of letting the battle go on, as the best solution or calling for an all out attack to destroy the Crucible so that the energy feedback will destroy the Citadel thus destroying the AI which controlled the Reapers. Yeah Earth would be destroyed in the explosion but at least the rest of the galaxy would be OK. I know even this idea may be bad but at least it’s my choice and the Relays will be safe.

Also even if I accept that Joker and company left me, how the Hell did Joker survive a crash landing with his medical condition? His bones should have been dust.

There are many little things about this game that makes me think they were rushed and hence the stupid ending. I rarely had technical issues with the previous games but with ME3 I have had too many to count. Some are minor like twisted heads etc others are annoying like having bullets go through my cover. It just doesn’t seem polished. Where did they spend their development time? In contrast the multiplayer seems pretty polished though I have only played solo.

I was hoping for a secret ending where I could just ignore the three options (I know I have played a game with such an ending but can’t recall). I looked all over and started shooting at things even the AI. The only good thing is that now the Star wars prequels don’t seem so bad.

I bought all the story DLC for the previous games, but I won't be for ME3 unless they fix shit. Funny that the endings are pretty similar to Deus Ex, but with DE I wasn't even as close to as invested as ME.

If the ending was done correctly there could have been some pretty cool DLC, unfortunately we will never see it. Also I don't think we will get a new ending, that would mean they would need to get most of the voice cast back. Not sure how difficult that would be.

It also worked for Deus Ex because you got to see what happened to an extent, it felt more satisfying and the speculation after wasn't nearly as broad.

ME3 was just make choice, lol random cut scene, buy our dlc screen.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
It hurts nobody but Amazon, and by extension Amazon's customers. That's the kind of shit that causes prices to go up.

If retailers don't like it, then they should have a conversation with EA. Returns, selling their copies, and not buying future DLC are the best tools that frustrated purchasers have once they've already bought a game.

Keeping a game that you'll never play again for specious reasons makes no sense whatsoever.

Patryn

I think I must be one of the few who hated the ending but is still totally unwilling to return my copy of ME3. I mean overall I still liked it. It's quite possible that it may make my top 10 GOTY.

It depends how you look at it. If you look at it from just a shooter game play standpoint then its pretty mediocre. If you look at it from a character development/story/companion interaction standpoint then its pretty good.

Except for Kai Leng.

The more or less complete elimination of player agency was a huge problem in ME3 as well as every quest requiring you to shoot a gun. Where was the dialogue driven stuff like Thane and Samara's loyalty missions?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
An End Once and For All is just so moving. Too bad it's attached to such crappy endings.

Basically, the Clint stuff (piano stuff, right?) and the end credit song and the ME1 song remix are the stand outs.

Leaving Earth is fantastic and probably my favorite.

I think I must be one of the few who hated the ending but is still totally unwilling to return my copy of ME3. I mean overall I still liked it. It's quite possible that it may make my top 10 GOTY.

I won't be returning my copy even if I could. I may actually play through it again. The game is GOTY material, it's just the ending that is so damn bad.

Cheech

If retailers don't like it, then they should have a conversation with EA. Returns, selling their copies, and not buying future DLC are the best tools that frustrated purchasers have once they've already bought a game.

Keeping a game that you'll never play again for specious reasons makes no sense whatsoever.

Well, sure, that's why you can sell the game on Craigslist or whatever. You don't just up and return an opened copy of a game for a full refund to a retailer because you didn't like the ending. Not only is it juvenile and petty, but as a frequent customer to Amazon, it makes my prices go up.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
He only did the end CG scene and leaving earth but yep, great stuff.

Changed my mind. End Once and For All is easily the best thing ever.

Fuck. It's making me all emotional and shit. I'm going to eat a tub of ice cream for breakfast.

Hero

About time for a new thread. Although I see people are supporting the Mass Deflect Tumblr even though I was the one that came up with it first. :(

Anyone planning on going to the PAX panel and seeing all the lulz at the Bioware/Mass Effect panel?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

Amazon admits ending too crappy to keep game, offers refunds.
Where's Kotaku when you need them.

I see no reason to return it, at least not as a refund, up until the last 10 minutes it was a great experience.

Patryn

So...

What was the point of the dream sequences again?

It's supposed to flesh out the Shepard character (which makes no sense, as the player is defining who Shepard is) and show her anguish over leaving Earth behind.

About time for a new thread. Although I see people are supporting the Mass Deflect Tumblr even though I was the one that came up with it first. :(

Anyone planning on gong to the PAX panel and seeing all the lulz at the Bioware/Mass Effect panel?

I'm thinking about it. I want to hit the Dragon Age panel more because DA3 is undoubtedly going to be announced there, but if I can hit both, I'll do both.

LiK

It's supposed to flesh out the Shepard character (which makes no sense, as the player is defining who Shepard is) and show her anguish over leaving Earth behind.

yep, but as mentioned int he previous OT, that kid made no sense. they should've used people you knew from the previous games, not some random kid.

I hate how this is the first time we visit Earth. We have no emotional connection to it other than we all live on Earth (presumably. I'm looking at you Rebel Leader).

MIKEAL

Banned
Well, sure, that's why you can sell the game on Craigslist or whatever. You don't just up and return an opened copy of a game for a full refund to a retailer because you didn't like the ending. Not only is it juvenile and petty, but as a frequent customer to Amazon, it makes my prices go up.

I agree, most people are returning it (for the most part) because it gives them a "free" experience, not because they didn't like the ending.

Top Bottom