• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I don't understand the whole "paying Charity to get our ending" thing. Wouldn't it make more sense to give the money to Bioware so they don't complain about lack of money? I mean, if people want to call us 'entitled', may as well show that we have the money to facilitate our entitlement? I guess I'm just not good at the whole transparency thing. If I want something then I'll go directly for what I want not beating around the bush for it.

It was to get attention.

Zen

Banned
I don't understand the whole "paying Charity to get our ending" thing. Wouldn't it make more sense to give the money to Bioware so they don't complain about lack of money? I mean, if people want to call us 'entitled', may as well show that we have the money to facilitate our entitlement? I guess I'm just not good at the whole transparency thing. If I want something then I'll go directly for what I want not beating around the bush for it.

Well Bioware has no system set up for accepting donations, and just throwing money at them wouldn't accomplish much unless they agreed to do it, like a kickstarter, and taht would be less likely than what we're getting. Donating the money to charity is much better PR.

Derrick01

Banned

I don't know I think directly funneling money to Bioware instead of charity would have set an even worse precedent than what everyone's crying about now. Just imagine EA's thought process:

"We can get them to fund the DLC AND charge them for it??"

Replicant

Well Bioware has no system set up for accepting donations, and just throwing money at them wouldn't accomplish much unless they agreed to do it, like a kickstarter, and taht would be less likely than what we're getting. Donating the money to charity is much better PR.

I don't know I think directly funneling money to Bioware instead of charity would have set an even worse precedent than what everyone's crying about now. Just imagine EA's thought process:

"We can get them to fund the DLC AND charge them for it??"

Well, I guess it's a good PR. Although EA/Bioware must be choking with their own drools at the prospect of 80,000 dollars.

Hero

Who the fuck asks people to stop donating to a charity? Is this real life?

Lost a lot of respect from Penny Arcade today. Dunno what the fuck is up with them.

Jarmel

Banned
Oh my god. This is too good. Please, someone try to defend this.

Well the Reapers view themselves as the pinnacle of evolution so by turning organics into goo that is used to build new Reapers, it's something like a honor. Note how the Reapers are so invested into humans and especially Shepard in ME2. Harbinger goes to great lengths multiple times to get Shepard's body. This is because of humanity's actions in ME1 proved their value and thus would make great Reapers, not to mention our 'genetic diversity' that Mordin mentions on multiple accounts in ME2.

Therefore the Reapers show signs of arrogance in that they not only feel what they are doing is necessary to prevent some synthetic from wiping out all organic life, instead of what the Reapers currently do is which is kill selected advanced civilizations, but also a good thing in that these civilizations are preserved in an 'eternal' form. It's sort of a killing two birds with one stone deal.

As for getting the Geth to work with you in ME3, that is not necessarily indicative of a permanent solution and it's very possible that the Geth and Quarians could later resume fighting. As stated in the codex, the Geth are really only limited in pure material resources and time in regards to how much they wanted to expand their fleet and if they truly wanted to, they could very much wipe out all organic life in the galaxy if they had enough alone time to build their fleet up.

The Reapers are acting on a probability. One it seems that has near happened in the past in Javik's cycle that pretty much ended with the Protheans wiping out a solar system to prevent the advance of the synthetics.

Tajin

Banned
Are you humans actually trying to understand the Reapers?

There is a realm of existence so far beyond your own you cannot even imagine it. I am beyond your comprehension. I am Sovereign.

I'm pretty sure that I can trust a super-space robot who has repeated the cycle 'countless' times. It's not like Sovereign had any reason to lie.

Well the Reapers view themselves as the pinnacle of evolution so by turning organics into goo that is used to build new Reapers, it's something like a honor. Note how the Reapers are so invested into humans and especially Shepard in ME2. Harbinger goes to great lengths multiple times to get Shepard's body. This is because of humanity's actions in ME1 proved their value and thus would make great Reapers, not to mention our 'genetic diversity' that Mordin mentions on multiple accounts in ME2.

Therefore the Reapers show signs of arrogance in that they not only feel what they are doing is necessary to prevent some synthetic from wiping out all organic life, instead of what the Reapers currently do is which is kill selected advanced civilizations, but also a good thing in that these civilizations are preserved in an 'eternal' form. It's sort of a killing two birds with one stone deal.

As for getting the Geth to work with you in ME3, that is not necessarily indicative of a permanent solution and it's very possible that the Geth and Quarians could later resume fighting. As stated in the codex, the Geth are really only limited in pure material resources and time in regards to how much they wanted to expand their fleet and if they truly wanted to, they could very much wipe out all organic life in the galaxy if they had enough alone time to build their fleet up.

The Reapers are acting on a probability. One it seems that has near happened in the past in Javik's cycle that pretty much ended with the Protheans wiping out a solar system to prevent the advance of the synthetics.

Also, Harbinger explicitly tells you that we will not be able to comprehend their actions.

So they told you in ME2 to expect a nonsensical ending in ME3, I don't know why people are surprised.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Are you humans actually trying to understand the Reapers?

There is a realm of existence so far beyond your own you cannot even imagine it. I am beyond your comprehension. I am Sovereign.

I'm pretty sure that I can trust a super-space robot who has repeated the cycle 'countless' times. It's not like Sovereign had any reason to lie.

And so what if he did?

Jarmel

Banned
Also, Harbinger explicitly tells you that we will not be able to comprehend their actions.

So they told you in ME2 to expect a nonsensical ending in ME3, I don't know why people are surprised.

Actually I thought the original dark energy idea was much better and would have fit into the trilogy fairly well but that obviously didn't happen.

Actually I thought the original dark energy idea was much better and would have fit into the trilogy fairly well but that obviously didn't happen.

Yeah that would have made sense to you so Harbinger would have just explained it and you would have said "Oh yeah okay that makes sense I guess we should all die."

Note: I have no idea what the dark energy idea was.

Not to mention that the Reapers don't take risks.

If they start lurking around the galaxy as Guardians, there's the possibility of a Illusive Man trying to control them.

DTKT

Yeah that would have made sense to you so Harbinger would have just explained it and you would have said "Oh yeah okay that makes sense I guess we should all die."

Anything is better than a Synthetic life form creating another Synthetic life to kill all Organics in order to protect them from Synthetic life forms.

*shoots self*

Jarmel

Banned

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/s...nged-dramatically-big-big-spoilers.250066288/

"The Reapers' goal was to find a way to stop the spread of Dark Energy which would eventually consume everything. That's why there was so much foreshadowing about Dark Energy in ME2.

The Reapers as a whole were 'nations' of people who had fused together in the most horrific way possible to help find a way to stop the spread of the Dark Energy. The real reason for the Human Reaper was supposed to be the Reapers saving throw because they had run out of time. Humanity in Mass Effect is supposedly unique because of it's genetic diversity and represented the universe's best chance at stopping Dark Energy's spread.

The original final choice was going to be "Kill the Reapers and put your faith in the races of the galaxy in finding another way to stop the spread with what little time is left" or "Sacrifice humanity, allowing them to be horrifically processed in hopes that the end result will justify the means."

Yea I agree. It sounds a little extreme, but I'm sure Drew would have explained it nicely in the game... we'll never get to see if he could...

I still think we should start a kickstarter for Drew to write the proper ending in book format. I'm sure that would run into insane amount of legal trouble, but the possibilities...

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/s...nged-dramatically-big-big-spoilers.250066288/

"The Reapers' goal was to find a way to stop the spread of Dark Energy which would eventually consume everything. That's why there was so much foreshadowing about Dark Energy in ME2.

The Reapers as a whole were 'nations' of people who had fused together in the most horrific way possible to help find a way to stop the spread of the Dark Energy. The real reason for the Human Reaper was supposed to be the Reapers saving throw because they had run out of time. Humanity in Mass Effect is supposedly unique because of it's genetic diversity and represented the universe's best chance at stopping Dark Energy's spread.

The original final choice was going to be "Kill the Reapers and put your faith in the races of the galaxy in finding another way to stop the spread with what little time is left" or "Sacrifice humanity, allowing them to be horrifically processed in hopes that the end result will justify the means."

That's not bad, but the way the organic vs. synthetic rationale is explained on that page is surprisingly good.

"The Reapers new goal is that they are working to prevent a technological singularity. The quick definition of a "technological singularity" is basically a point when the machines of a civilization become more advanced than their creators and they are able to outdo their creators in pretty much every way imaginable.

The game attempts to justify the Singularity Motivation because all it takes is ONE incident with A.I. to bring about an apocalyptic war that would destroy all organics. Project Overlord was a very, very clear example of this: Cerberus nearly destroyed the entire galaxy. Organics lucked out big time that the Geth were so understanding and that A.I. like EDI are tame (and even then, EDI did something in the past before ME2 that may make you view her in a very different light: Mass Effect 3 reveals this).

The Reapers aren't hypocrites (in concept) in the Singularity Motivation because they don't perceive themselves as machines wiping out organics. They see themselves as immortal vessels that preserve a civilization forever that just happens to be synthetic. They see themselves as the saviors of organics for letting them grow and prosper and then harvesting them before they evolve to the point of singularity. "Imposing order on the chaos of organic evolution" as Sovereign said."

Edit: i.e. If the apocalyptic synthetic vs. organic war started the synthetics would end up wiping out all organic life. The Reapers just trim a little life off the top and let it regrow. It's not terrible but they sure did a lousy job of explaining it.

Vamphuntr

The original idea was that advanced civilizations produces Dark Energy because of the tech they use (element zero and so on). Dark Energy makes the galaxy unstable as seen in Tali's recruit mission in ME2. It leads to system extinction.

Reapers were the solution that an ancient civilizations desgined to find a solution to the problem. By harvesting people they would gain more and more knowledge through genetic diversity while slowing down the production of Dark Energy through genocide of technologically advanced races. Original idea was that human were one of the most genetically diverse species that ever lived and harvesting them might have been the only way for the reapers to find a way to solve the dark energy problem.

By the time of the game the situation was supposed to be critical and the whole galaxy would collapse. You would then make the choice to destroy the reapers and trust all the races so they might come up with a solution in time to ther dark energy issue quickly or let the reapers harvest humans hoping they find a solution.

EDIT : beaten

Eusis

Yeah, while I can't discredit the possibility it could've been botched it seems like a more natural fit for where they were going, depending on execution they could've probably ironed out some of the issues, like why they've taken millions of years to try to find this; maybe they just kept trying all sorts of ideas, maybe even had SUCCESS with some, but are soon in need of a true, permanent solution? Probably could also explain why they keep wiping out civilizations, they need new races to offer fresh approaches and thus can't let the old linger too long.

MC Safety

Game fans have misplaced priorities.

Jarmel

Banned
That's not bad, but the way the organic vs. synthetic rationale is explained on that page is surprisingly good.

"The Reapers new goal is that they are working to prevent a technological singularity. The quick definition of a "technological singularity" is basically a point when the machines of a civilization become more advanced than their creators and they are able to outdo their creators in pretty much every way imaginable.

The game attempts to justify the Singularity Motivation because all it takes is ONE incident with A.I. to bring about an apocalyptic war that would destroy all organics. Project Overlord was a very, very clear example of this: Cerberus nearly destroyed the entire galaxy. Organics lucked out big time that the Geth were so understanding and that A.I. like EDI are tame (and even then, EDI did something in the past before ME2 that may make you view her in a very different light: Mass Effect 3 reveals this).

The Reapers aren't hypocrites (in concept) in the Singularity Motivation because they don't perceive themselves as machines wiping out organics. They see themselves as immortal vessels that preserve a civilization forever that just happens to be synthetic. They see themselves as the saviors of organics for letting them grow and prosper and then harvesting them before they evolve to the point of singularity. "Imposing order on the chaos of organic evolution" as Sovereign said."

My main issue is that it really ties into ME2 much better. One of the complaints about ME2 is how disconnected it feels from ME1 and it's really one large sidemission. Having the dark energy introduced into ME2 to the extent that it was, would have really tied ME2 into the trilogy a lot better. It would also have given a more concrete reason as to why the Reapers were so urgent on creating a human Reaper in ME2.

Then it would have helped resolve the whole thing with the Reapers not wiping out all organics as they had to wait till civilizations were at a certain intelligence level to help them solve the Dark Energy problem. As it stands if the Reapers view themselves as the pinnacles of evolution, why not just harvest all organic life, no matter their technological level?

I'm curious that if everybody who has complained about the ending said they would pay the usual $15 dollar DLC fee would that still be considered entitled I mean wasn't all the ME2 DLC based on feedback like this and the Borderlands DLC came about in a lot of similar ways. Is requesting a certain type of DLC and then paying for it entitled?

Thinking about it I gotta say the dark energy idea is actually really dumb. Just set up a few incredibly advanced guardians to mind the galaxy and repress any civilization that attempted to use dark energy.

Eusis

My main issue is that it really ties into ME2 much better. One of the complaints about ME2 is how disconnected it feels from ME1 and it's really one large sidemission. Having the dark energy introduced into ME2 to the extent that it was, would have really tied ME2 into the trilogy a lot better. It would also have given a more concrete reason as to why the Reapers were so urgent on creating a human Reaper in ME2.

Then it would have helped resolve the whole thing with the Reapers not wiping out all organics as they had to wait till civilizations were at a certain intelligence level to help them solve the Dark Energy problem. As it stands if the Reapers view themselves as the pinnacles of evolution, why not just harvest all organic life, no matter their technological level?
And like I said they could more organically build around that idea (group on a mission to prevent a technological singularity) if it were the mission in the first place. Instead it feels more like making up an excuse for why they'd keep killing everything every 50,000 years.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Thinking about it I gotta say the dark energy idea is actually really dumb. Just set up a few incredibly advanced guardians to mind the galaxy and repress any civilization that attempted to use dark energy.

Than what is the point of the Mass Relays if you cant use eezo.

My renegade badass Femshep is getting Illusive's man eyes but in red. Is it a bug ? Or just a reflection ? First time noticing it in War room

Jarmel

Banned

The Mass Effect relays might be a more efficient means of getting around the galaxy compared to FTL drives. Similar to pollution issues we face now in regards to creating more efficient cars.

Setting the Reapers up as Guardians could just lead to rebellions or people trying to control the Reapers like the Illusive Man. Also it seems the dark energy build up was happening anyway, similar to our real life entropy issue, and so there needed to be more Reapers to solve the problem.

I think we should, at this point, just agree that any justification for "Encouraging growth in civilizations then destroying them at their peek technology level every 50,000 years" is going to be fucking retarded.

Seriously, the entire premise the series is based on is really, really dumb. But I don't care, it was fun, the characters were great and the story was pretty cool in parts. I'm happy.

Than what is the point of the Mass Relays if you cant use eezo.

They wouldn't make the mass relays in the first place for the threat they posed.

And any solution to dark energy build up would have been ridiculous anyway since the answer will always be "yes, the universe will eventually end, go post-physical while you can and get the fuck out of dodge."

Wiggum2007

Yeah the current ending is shit, but that dark energy ending, at least from the little information we have on it, is plenty flawed itself.

Zeliard

I think we should, at this point, just agree that any justification for "Encouraging growth in civilizations then destroying them at their peek technology level every 50,000 years" is going to be fucking retarded.

Seriously, the entire premise the series is based on is really, really dumb. But I don't care, it was fun, the characters were great and the story was pretty cool in parts. I'm happy.

Pretty much. Mass Effect has always been shlocky B-grade sci-fi fun. That it ends with an amusing Clarke's third law attempt at space magic doesn't really perturb me.

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah the current ending is shit, but that dark energy ending, at least from the little information we have on it, is plenty flawed itself.

I think it would have been a great jumping off point and it would be much easier to create a full fledged and logical ending based off of that compared to what we currently have. It correlates to a current real life problem where there is no solution instead of the whole singularity issue which has been talked to death. It also fitted better into the themes of the games and into the overarching narrative.

Eusis

Actually, I suspect the original plan of the Reapers was to burn off dark energy. It's the force behind Mass Effect itself, so they're either colossally stupid for using it as much as they have, or it was part of a plan to prevent it from destroying the Milky Way galaxy. Plus the story's kind of a silly, pulpy sci-fi adventure anyway, so in light of that Dark Energy can come off as more fitting than the synthetics vs organics thing (at least the way it was presented).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Which is why they never should have had reapers in the first place and it should have basically been firefly with aliens and minovsky particles.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What's going on, why are most of the Game "journalists" so against gamers, especially on this. I've always been extremely for developers interests, but I completely understand this scenario... What's wrong with all these sites?

What's funny is that they keep talking about how all science fiction stories end just like Mass Effect 3 and that everything that is "long" is almost always disappointing.

Then one of them says that people who hate the ending are assholes. lol

What's funny is that they keep talking about how all science fiction stories end just like Mass Effect 3 and that everything that is "long" is almost always disappointing.

Then one of them says that people who hate the ending are assholes. lol

Yea, every site I've read that's against those against the ending. Have acted so superior and look at those that are disappointed at the ending as lesser beings that don't understand what they want. And they only talk to one another for validation and pretend like we are all kids that don't know shit.

I wish E3 was sooner, it'd be great discussing in person...

Top Bottom