• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - Previews and hands-on impressions

jdstorm

Banned
I hope the OT has a Ryder pun in the subtitle. I'm thinking something along the lines of Come Ryde With Me, Let's Go Somewhere or Ryder Shepards in the new Galaxy.

Using Noveria as a template for planetary exploration and hubs sounds good to me. Noveria had intrigue that made you want to act like an asshole to characters. If there's more than two hubs in one planet that a bit of a distance across from each other, that would be great. I liked Ferros a lot as well and the ideas that it had with the Thorian controlling people.

I'm also happy to see them taking notes from Alpha Protocol and The Witcher series with the choices. Hopefully it means a lot more nuanced decisions, less binary choices in situations that feel more in favor to the other one.

ME:A|OT| Why do i feel this way? Must be the MONEY

Not sure anybody gives a shit, but here's some notes I made.

• "Mass Effect Archive" is a save import/export feature not unlike Dragon Age Keep. Andromeda's save file can be uploaded for, assumebly, future Mass Effect titles.[1]
  • Other ark names include Pachero (Salarian), Lunisia (Asari), and Natanas (Turian).[1]
  • Smallest planetary zone in Andromeda is larger than all of Dragon Age: Inquisition.[2]
  • The squadmate with the least amount of dialogue has more than all of Shepard's in Mass Effect 3.[2]
  • Nomad can swap between fast rear wheel drive, and all terrain six wheel drive.[/2]
  • The big theme for the game was 'fulfill the promise of Mass Effect 1.' - Ian Frazier, lead designer.[3]
  • Noveria from Mass Effect 1 used as a point of reference for how the open planet playspaces and mission are constructed. "Imagine a Novaria where you find a whole lot more than just driving from point A to point B, from the cool big hub and the other cool big hub." - Ian Frazier.[3]
  • Conversation tones include emotional, logical, casual, and professional. These replace the binary paragon and renegade.[3]
  • Additional conversation tones sarcastic, obedient, or skeptical noted.[4]
  • Ambient companion dialogue as you drive around.[3]
  • Nine preset heads exist within the character creator, across a variety of races and genders, that can be customised.[4]
  • Background training chosen during character creation, eg: security, biotic, technician, leader, scrapper, and operative.[4]
  • Environments designed with cultural and biological needs of the inhabitants who live there.[5]
  • Far more work has been put into writing behind the general crew of the Tempest, beyond your squadmates. Crew interacts with each other over the intercom.[5]
  • Attempting to make character interactions and relationship development more nuanced and made up of shades of grey.[5]
  • Timeline confirmed to have the Andromeda Initiative leave the Milky Way post Mass Effect 2, but pre Mass Effect 3.[6]
  • Exploration and open play begins right with the prologue. Given key goal, but area is open enough to do some exploring, engage in optional encounters, make discoveries, etc.[6]
  • Quest log fully details objectives and events, including the ability to go over a summary and see the decisions you made.[6]
  • Securing one character's trust could come impact another.[6]
  • Drack is the "antithesis of Gruny", older, wiser, and matured.[6]
  • Vetra is warmer than Garrus, and joined the Initiative with her little sister.[6]
  • Crafting blueprints organised into broze/silver/gold rarity category, and are purchased by spending "research data", which is accrued via scanning the environment to expand your codex.[7]
  • Weapon mods can change the way weapons function, such as adding burst fire to a shotgun, and lasers to an assault rifle.[7]
  • Galaxy map is used to scan planets for anomalies. These can result in simple resource acquisitions, to unlocking either open planet zones (with vehicle exploration) and smaller on-foot zones.[7]

[1] Eurogamer: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Mass Effect Andromeda
[2] VG247: Mass Effect Andromeda: finally, hands-on gameplay reassures us Bioware’s sci-fi RPG is worth the wait
[3] Mass Effect: Andromeda hands-on: bigger, flashier, and very familiar
[4] Venture Beat: Mass Effect: Andromeda has big gameplay changes, an epic story, and a new galaxy
[5] Rock Paper Shotgun: Five hours with Mass Effect Andromeda
[6] Eurogamer: Four hours with Mass Effect Andromeda
[7] IGN: MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA HANDS-ON: 3 HOURS OF SPOILER-FREE IMPRESSIONS

Wow great job, imagine if you could just use this time to learn about anthropology in Spain and Portugal, the sky´s the limit.

You are right... he's not even looking at her o_O

Just looking off into the stars. Lie back and think of England?

He actually isn't looking at her.

sjYs2mw.png

Things like these generally look odd because they're taken out of context, along with a healthy dose of preconceived notions; and the GIF versions generally look odd because you're focusing on a tiny 1-2 second loop for 10-20 iterations. In the actual game, stuff like this blends in.

A-V-B

He actually isn't looking at her.

sjYs2mw.png

Things like these generally look odd because they're taken out of context, along with a healthy dose of preconceived notions; and the GIF versions generally look odd because you're focusing on a tiny 1-2 second loop for 10-20 iterations. In the actual game, stuff like this blends in.

Well that's good to know ;P

Mudron

Dumb question, but when does PSN charge for game preorders?

I've never preordered anything digitally on PSN before, and I wasn't sure of they charge immediately or on the day of release.

NHale

Dumb question, but when does PSN charge for game preorders?

I've never preordered anything digitally on PSN before, and I wasn't sure of they charge immediately or on the day of release.

North America stores they do it immediately, on European stores they started doing it immediately for some games (you can see it on the description) others are on day of release.

Dunno why I am so pumped for this! Every morning the first thing I do is go to Mass Effects youtube page excited for the new video. Guess we don't get one this week! All I want is that exploration video!

hampig

What is the general temperature toward this game? Are we expecting something good? I see some positive impressions but everything I've seen has left my less than excited.

So have they released any information about PS4 Pro support/4K?

Yeah. From the top of my head, 1800cc (checkerboarded), meaning not full 4K or 4K checkerboarded. And a 1080p mode with "increased graphical options" or something like that. At least, we know there will be 4K screen support and 1080p support. Remains to be seen exactly what that support will look like though.

What is the general temperature toward this game? Are we expecting something good? I see some positive impressions but everything I've seen has left my less than excited.

According to GAF, worst game in existence, confirmed.

According to the people who went to the preview event and played the game for a couple of hours, generally positive impressions. If you want to run the gamut, watch Giant Bomb for a somewhat more cynical POV of the game, and Kinda Funny to watch Greg raving about the game. All in all though, I don't remember seeing a single purely negative impression, so I think that we can be certain fans of the franchise will be playing a good game at this point.

It will be "good."

How good seems to be somewhat correlated to how attached you were to some of the systems in previous games; e.g. the fact that they did away with direct control of squad powers via the wheel.

It's still gonna be a space opera with, what looks like, awesome third person shooting and power action, so I'm in.

I'm sure it will be a technically sound game with excellent visuals and multiplayer.

I put myself in the completely unenthusiastic bracket when it comes to the game. I love Mass Effect, replaying 2 on PC at the moment as part of a full trilogy playthrough and just cannot get excited for Andromeda based on what they've shown. That IGN 17mins video was just, I dunno, boring?

Ascenion

I hope the OT has a Ryder pun in the subtitle. I'm thinking something along the lines of Come Ryde With Me, Let's Go Somewhere or Ryder Shepards in the new Galaxy.

Using Noveria as a template for planetary exploration and hubs sounds good to me. Noveria had intrigue that made you want to act like an asshole to characters. If there's more than two hubs in one planet that a bit of a distance across from each other, that would be great. I liked Ferros a lot as well and the ideas that it had with the Thorian controlling people.

I'm also happy to see them taking notes from Alpha Protocol and The Witcher series with the choices. Hopefully it means a lot more nuanced decisions, less binary choices in situations that feel more in favor to the other one.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ghost Ryders Janking in the Sky

Coxy100

Banned
I was optimistic until the IGN video. Still day 1 - but I'm cautious

I'm sure it will be a technically sound game with excellent visuals and multiplayer.

I put myself in the completely unenthusiastic bracket when it comes to the game. I love Mass Effect, replaying 2 on PC at the moment as part of a full trilogy playthrough and just cannot get excited for Andromeda based on what they've shown. That IGN 17mins video was just, I dunno, boring?

Regarding the latter, they removed dialogues (so actual conversations with dialogue wheels and whatnot) from that footage, from what I've read on twitter, so the pacing may very well be off.

That being said though, how is that footage any different from the general schlock we played during Mass Effect 1-3. I'm replaying now too, and at worst, that 17 minute video felt like a more involved version of the myriad of corridors we walked through in those games too. At least with ME:A, we know that we'll have some actual exploration the likes that was promised with ME 1 and 2 to look forward to.

I never got more than a few hours in ME 3, but I loved 1 and 2.

I'm pretty excited for it, haven't had a cool space adventure game since Halo 5 and the latest COD last year (idc what the haters say, that was sweet space SP).

Yeah. From the top of my head, 1800cc (checkerboarded), meaning not full 4K or 4K checkerboarded. And a 1080p mode with "increased graphical options" or something like that. At least, we know there will be 4K screen support and 1080p support. Remains to be seen exactly what that support will look like though.

According to GAF, worst game in existence, confirmed.

According to the people who went to the preview event and played the game for a couple of hours, generally positive impressions. If you want to run the gamut, watch Giant Bomb for a somewhat more cynical POV of the game, and Kinda Funny to watch Greg raving about the game. All in all though, I don't remember seeing a single purely negative impression, so I think that we can be certain fans of the franchise will be playing a good game at this point.

GB was actually pretty positive on it, Brad said he liked what he played and Jeff said the combat looked fun.

That being said though, how is that footage any different from the general schlock we played during Mass Effect 1-3. I'm replaying now too, and at worst, that 17 minute video felt like a more involved version of the myriad of corridors we walked through in those games too.

Something I've noted about responses to Andromeda-- When you have a game that is ~5 years and a console generation removed from the last series entry, you have a lot of people looking at it with fresh eyes. Which is neither inherently good nor inherently bad. I'm not saying that "BioWare jank" should just automatically be excused because the old games had it too. But there are criticisms that you read that make it obvious that someone doesn't have any context for what they're seeing, for how an ME game establishes atmosphere and relationships over dozens of hours and how some small element likely fits into that whole. Just my $0.02.

royox

Normal thinking:
A good space opera with a lot of exploration. Lore, tps shooter with the Mass Effect touch and Bioware tier of characters and story.

Gaf mode /on
Worst game of the universe.

John Walker from Rock Paper Shotgun just put up a surprisingly negative preview of the game.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/14/mass-effect-andromeda-review-opening-hours/

I say surprisingly because although he describes an experience confirming some of the fears people were having about the game, most previews until now seemed rather positive.

Zt8uQrjIkyZO.gif

13Ofyv1nFExm8w.gif

He posted a video where those gifs are from, but previous ME companions were no Pathfinders themselves either as I recall.

Just listening to the latest Bombcast and good 'ol 'Downtown' Peter Brown from GameSpot was pretty negative about it. Off the top of my head, he said the combat didn't feel good, alien characters were poorly designed, some of the story has pacing / set-up issues and I think some others. I am going to wait and see how the community reacts to this before I decide if I want to get it.

RedSwirl

John Walker from Rock Paper Shotgun just put up a surprisingly negative preview of the game.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/14/mass-effect-andromeda-review-opening-hours/

I say surprisingly because although he describes an experience confirming some of the fears people were having about the game, most previews until now seemed rather positive.

Zt8uQrjIkyZO.gif

13Ofyv1nFExm8w.gif

He posted a video where those gifs are from, but previous ME companions were no Pathfinders themselves either as I recall.

I just read this too. Sounds like a lot of the criticisms of Inquisition, especially in regards to the quest design.

Stuff like this is why I want to get done with Inquisition after Zelda and before I even touch Mass Effect just to see what everybody is afraid of. I'm not far in Inquisition but most of what I've seen so far is actually pretty good.. but that's specifically because I'm staying away from the Hinterlands and most side quests, and staying fairly laser-focused on the main quest.

I will say though that things like NPCs and towns feel very last-gen, or at least reveal that this game was made in a pre-Witcher 3 world. Maybe it's just that BioWare games don't make their NPC behavior as dynamic as CDProjekt and Bethesda have it in their games (and Nintendo has apparently learned from this in Breath of the Wild). What are people saying about towns and quest zones in Andromeda? What few side quests I did look at in Inquisition do seem pretty basic. UI is also kind of tacky. Altogether so far it feels like a good main quest surrounded by a package that feels... MMO ish? I can't really find the words and I actually don't play MMOs so I don't know what those criticisms mean, but everything in Inquisition outside the main quest feels like what I imagine MMOs are. I guess the closest things I've played are Phantasy Star Online and The Division which are very clear "get loot and fill bars" games, and Inquisition kind of feels like that outside the main quest I guess.

The important part is, I'm afraid of Andromeda and future BioWare games focusing on that instead of what I really care about in BioWare games -- the characters and in the case of Mass Effect the sense of exploration.

Astral

Zt8uQrjIkyZO.gif

13Ofyv1nFExm8w.gif

Wtf this sounds awful. Whyyy? What's especially troublesome is the criticisms of the writing.

bati

Zt8uQrjIkyZO.gif

13Ofyv1nFExm8w.gif

Absolutely savage. He also skipped Dragon Age: Inquisition and reading his text reminds me of my experience with DAI, almost word for word. For better or worse, looks like this is the new Bioware.

Absolutely savage. He also skipped Dragon Age: Inquisition and reading his text reminds me of my experience with DAI, almost word for word. For better or worse, looks like this is the new Bioware.

25 positive impressions? Nope.

2 negative impressions? Yup.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Came here to post the negative RPS piece.

While the negative impressions of the game are few, I can't help but nodding my head along with them and imagining DA:I.

This piece could almost have been written for that game instead.

I'm worried.

Astral

Well if people are comparing this to DA:I I guess it doesn't make me too worried. The only things I didn't like about that game were the villain and the countless fetch quests.

nashman

Wow at that rock paper shotgun preview!

"Side quests feel like something from a 2004 Korean MMO. Just complete nothingness, running from map icon to map icon, scanning objects with your scanner when told to, and then AI companion SAM letting you know that, yup, the source of the defects has been found/animal has been captured/toddler reunited with rabid tiger, despite your actually doing nothing relevant to the tissue-thin narrative."

As flawed as DAI was, overall it was an enjoyable experience . Still expect that to be the case here.

prag16

Banned
ME:A|OT| Ryders on the Storm

If this isn't the OT title then I will be disappoint.

Wtf this sounds awful. Whyyy? What's especially troublesome is the criticisms of the writing.

Most previewers were praising the story and especially the characters, so I wouldn't say this one article cancels out all the other opinions.

25 positive impressions? Nope.

2 negative impressions? Yup.

Seriously. Almost as if people wait to pounce on something that fits their preconceived narrative.

Top Bottom