• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive Dirty Disc errors with Fable

bheemer

Anyone else getting green DDE message ? this is the first time its happened to me im about 8 hours into the game and i cant go 10 minutes wo getting an error. usually when i transfer zones or when i goto a menu and try to exit the menu it freezes. does this happen to anyone else?

Sysgen

You might not have played too many DVD games. Many Xbox games come on CD and won't give you problems. Have you tried Morrowind GOTY edition or any of the OXM demo discs? If you have problems with these it isn't your Fable disc.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Does this game have heavy loading or something? The frequency of DDE threads lately seems to be rising

Alex

I had a few issues once as well, but they seemed to vanish as quickly as they came, very weird.

ced

I had one at the end of the arena quest when accessing my start menu, havnt gone back yet made me so mad.

Morrowind and GOTY edition is the only game Ive had serious problems with. Seems odd your getting alot of them with Fable, there no finger prints or anything on it right?

bheemer

i have

panzer dragoon orta
project gotham racing 2
jsrf
halo
ninja gaiden
guilty gear reload
splinter cell
rainbow six 3
KOTOR

those are all cd games??

and i had no problems prior its just now about 8 hours in that the first errors occur.

Rhindle

It works fine on my launch Xbox.

As someone mentioned above, the only games that are known to create DDEs with non-defective drives are Morrowind, Buffy Chaos Bleeds and one other one that I can't remember.

Matt

Sysgen said:
You might not have played too many DVD games. Many Xbox games come on CD and won't give you problems. Have you tried Morrowind GOTY edition or any of the OXM demo discs? If you have problems with these it isn't your Fable disc.
Wait...aren't ALL XBox games on DVD?

I've come by 1 DDE since i began playing (I only put in 4 hours so far).

This thread is making me paranoid, my PS2 crapped out on me I'm not taking chances with my Xbox. If i keep seeing these threads, goodbye Fable...hello, trade-in value.

SKluck

Banned
http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=15858

Yes sir. I think my drive just in general went to shit. Because I was playing Bloodrayne fine the other day, no DDE, now I get DDEs every 15 minutes of play. I think fable killed my Thomson! I got another drive coming through ebay, so I'm hoping this will fix it.

My drive was made in feb 2002.

It still plays DVD movies rather okay, just sucks for games now. Bought riddick and got a DDE before I even could control the character.

If you are playing Fable and the spinning emblem on the loading screens EVER lags, you are fucked.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
SKluck said:
http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=15858

Yes sir. I think my drive just in general went to shit. Because I was playing Bloodrayne fine the other day, no DDE, now I get DDEs every 15 minutes of play. I think fable killed my Thomson! I got another drive coming through ebay, so I'm hoping this will fix it.

My drive was made in feb 2002.

It still plays DVD movies rather okay, just sucks for games now. Bought riddick and got a DDE before I even could control the character.

If you are playing Fable and the spinning emblem on the loading screens EVER lags, you are fucked.

Fable is a thompson killer.

My thompson Xbox no longer works, I had to buy a new Xbox after playing Fable.

GhaleonEB

Yeah, I made a topic here the other day thinking my XBox had died. :(

It's pretty bad. Between that and ten minutes of every hour of playtime being loading, there's a good many chinks in this baby's armor. Love the game - but there's a lot of stuff in there that makes it harder than it should be.

DopeyFish

well the the point it's at, my xbox will always get a DDE before getting into any game now, it makes me sad. Maybe i can flush the Xbox cache somehow

Sysgen

DopeyFish said:
well the the point it's at, my xbox will always get a DDE before getting into any game now, it makes me sad. Maybe i can flush the Xbox cache somehow

Load 3 different games flushes the existing cache or so I heard.

Speevy

Banned
I have a Thompson and I played Riddick from beginning to end, no problems. But Morrowind GOTY will absolutely not play on my Xbox without the worst framerate and skipping you have ever seen. It makes the original Morrowind (which I loved, and beat) look smooth by comparison.

Ive been lucky that I really havent gotten many DDE's on my XBOX. Of course, I really dont play it much....I do plan on getting Fable sometime, though, so hopefully it wont fuck up! And I have a thompson drive, too.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
I got a DDE during Fable last night. Lost almost half an hour of progress from last auto save (was trying to earn $). Yes, I have a Thompson drive, and I haven't had many problems with DDE before. I think Fable just accesses the disc so much it really brings it out.

DopeyFish

Eggo said:
I got a DDE during Fable last night. Lost almost half an hour of progress from last auto save (was trying to earn $). Yes, I have a Thompson drive, and I haven't had many problems with DDE before. I think Fable just accesses the disc so much it really brings it out.

it started that way for me

then it started happening more often... and in more places than you expected (ie loading the map in the load save game menu) eventually it got to the point where i couldn't play any game.

It was terrible :(

COCKLES

being watched
It's good / evil dynamic. The eviler you get, the harder time your Xbox has reading the disc.

TEH INNOVATION!+

Lakitu

st5fu
Is there a pic where it has all the cd drive trays so you can tell which one is which? I still have no idea what mine is.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Lakitu said:
Is there a pic where it has all the cd drive trays so you can tell which one is which? I still have no idea what mine is.

thompson.jpg

This is a Thompson drive (launch day Xboxen), which has the dirty disc problems. If you have a non-Thompson drive, the bottom of the "U" will be more circular. I think the other drive looks like this:

samsung.jpg

Non-Thompson drive

COCKLES said:
It's good / evil dynamic. The eviler you get, the harder time your Xbox has reading the disc.

TEH INNOVATION!+

Shit, why didn't you tell me? I'll just drop some cash at the Temple of Evo and DDE msgs no more! @_@

Top Bottom