• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive Fire in High Rise Apartment in London

Zaph

Move out then cunt

And that's just the tip of the iceberg for why there's so much (sometimes unfair) resentment towards foreign buyers of luxury property in London - they're seen to just want the investment and don't give a shit about the local community or social contract they're now part of.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure St Edward these flats are part of their "affordable" housing so they won't have use of most of the facilities the service fee covers (private cinema, pool etc). Donna doesn't have to worry about mingling with brown folk too much.

I thought the government purchased a separate block of luxury flats for all Grenfell residents to move into. Or did I miss something?
The flats are all part of the same development/tower with prices going up to £8m per unit. St Edward offered them to the City of London at cost (about £10m) as a good-will gesture.

Just because someone is paid less than you doesn't mean they don't work hard. Get to fuck. This attitude that those in social housing must live in the worst possible conditions because they didn't "earn" anything nice is what led to this tragedy in the first place
Its my first go to thought now whenever that shitty argument is made "But I worked so hard for my £70k+ PY salary".

The idea that because someone earns less means they put less effort in is either dangerously naive or fantastically cuntish. My first job was a cleaner and the vast majority of those people were working 2 jobs and dealing with being blamed and criticised for everything yet the 9-5 desk workers who gave them shit could just go home and do what they wanted after work, not wait around for an hour and then start your evening job.

Lo-Volt

"If Grenfell Residents Move Into My Flats, I'll Move Out" - LBC @LBC https://t.co/TO8wVpYJUo

It really isn't anything to do with who works hard and who doesn't. That's such a disgusting attack. I bet most of Grenfell's residents were likely employed too, so please, they fail on their merits as well as the ethics. These people would be shocked to hear how many homeless Britons (and Americans) are working and are still out of a home. I don't know what part of DISASTROUS EMERGENCY OH MY LORD these people don't understand.

No chill at all, Jesus Christ. Can't even wait a month to utter such exclusionary classless nonsense to someone with a hot mic.

Theonik

I thought the government purchased a separate block of luxury flats for all Grenfell residents to move into. Or did I miss something?
The Corporation of the City of London bought 68 flats in a nearby development at cost from the developer to add to its social housing stock.
In part this is common practice, developers are required to allocate a number of flats for affordable housing as a requirement to gain planning permission.

Dougald

The idea that because someone earns less means they put less effort in is either dangerously naive or fantastically cuntish. My first job was a cleaner and the vast majority of those people were working 2 jobs and dealing with being blamed and criticised for everything yet the 9-5 desk workers who gave them shit could just go home and do what they wanted after work, not wait around for an hour and then start your evening job.

The average cleaner works harder than I do, that's for sure. The only reason people get paid more is due to their skillset and its supply (and a bit of luck or connections)

So, this is terrifying.

Grenfell Tower: Similar cladding used in around 600 high rises

More from political Twitter

In summary: We have potentially thousands of people living in deathtraps like Grenfell, and councils the length and breadth of the country are culpable for cladding these places using material which has been deemed unsafe and illegal for use on high-rise buildings.

I don't know how the people living in the potentially affected places are coping to be honest. This is a national disgrace and the Grenfell enquiry (or inquest, or whatever it ends up being) needs to examine the full scope of this wide-scale neglect.
I would be leaving immediately for fear of some idiot molotov cocktailing the place.

TimmmV

Wonder if that woman complaining about how hard shes worked has/will ever inherit(ed) anything? Bet she doesn't mind people getting something for free that others have had to work for then

Dougald

Wonder if that woman complaining about how hard shes worked has/will ever inherit(ed) anything? Bet she doesn't mind people getting something for free that others have had to work for then

Not just that, but she likely grew up more privileged than anyone who lived in Grenfell tower. People underestimate how much difference growing up not worrying about money, or with a stable family, or going to private school, or going to a decent state school, or any number of things makes. She got that for free.

The average cleaner works harder than I do, that's for sure. The only reason people get paid more is due to their skillset and its supply (and a bit of luck or connections)
Yep.

I fully acknowledge that a big part of why i have got as far as i have is because of help and luck at certain points. Of course another massive part is the years of hard work i have put in but i am always appreciative of everyone help.

It always seems that middle/upper class people arent able to think like that, in their minds they did everything themselves and the only person who deserves credit is them. Of course that is far from the case and they have always had financial benefits or connections who can coach and train them, things that lower paid employees often dont have.

Zakalwe

Banned
"If Grenfell Residents Move Into My Flats, I'll Move Out" - LBC @LBC https://t.co/TO8wVpYJUo

Move out then cunt

She sounds like a horrible, horrible shit.

"I work very hard" like the people affected haven't ever worked hard, because she's better off she should be valued more.

She wouldn't be paying more or losing anything, just sharing space with people less fortunate.

Fuck this planet sometimes.

The flats are all part of the same development/tower with prices going up to £8m per unit. St Edward offered them to the City of London at cost (about £10m) as a good-will gesture.

Ok. The caller is just not a nice person then.

I live in a good flat but I would have no issue with people moving into a nearby block given the circumstances. These people are part of the community she lives in; she can't just sit there saying "oh, so sad." and ignore what's happened. She talks as if the Grenfell residents would choose to suffer what they have to live next to her nice apartment block.

TimmmV

Not just that, but she likely grew up more privileged than anyone who lived in Grenfell tower. People underestimate how much difference growing up not worrying about money, or with a stable family, or going to private school, or going to a decent state school, or any number of things makes. She got that for free.

Yeah, but her parents worked hard for that too!! /s

You're right, I just went for the inheritance angle because its not unlikely a person living in those flats got some help from their wealthy parents

Dougald

Yeah, but her parents worked hard for that too!! /s

You're right, I just went for the inheritance angle because its not unlikely a person living in those flats got some help from their wealthy parents

You are right there too, even if it's not inheritance most people who buy these days rely on help from family, whether that's money for a deposit, or living rent-free at home for a few years to save up

She's clearly not a very nice person, but I don't feel it's fair to bring up the circumstances into which she was born. She had no control over those, but she does over her current actions and they are reprehensible.

I'm pretty sure it's been made clear that the new residents won't have access to the features she and others pay service charges for, so why she's getting upset is frankly bizarre. It feels she's more upset that people who she doesn't want around her will be moving in and she's using the service charged excuse as cover.

Dougald

I think it's absolutely a fair thing to bring up when the topic of discussion is whether hard work correlates to salary. I'm sure I would likely be in a worse position than I am now had I grown up less privileged, as would most people

I think it's absolutely a fair thing to bring up when the topic of discussion is whether hard work correlates to salary. I'm sure I would likely be in a worse position than I am now had I grown up less privileged, as would most people

I feel it veers too much into blaming someone for being born into a stable and well educated home versus into one where violence might be rampant and education isn't a priority.

I might have misread the tone of your post though and you weren't attacking her, but rather using it as a example of why she is where she compared to others?

Dougald

I feel it veers too much into blaming someone for being born into a stable and well educated home versus into one where violence might be rampant and education isn't a priority.

I might have misread the tone of your post though and you weren't attacking her, but rather using it as a example of why she is where she compared to others?

Yes, it absolutely wasn't an attack, I don't begrudge others for being born under better circumstances, only when they fail to realise the opportunities that provided them. It was part of a wider discussion as to the attitude that poor people don't work hard and therefore don't deserve anything that could remotely be construed as nice

Yes, it absolutely wasn't an attack, I don't begrudge others for being born under better circumstances, only when they fail to realise the opportunities that provided them. It was part of a wider discussion as to the attitude that poor people don't work hard and therefore don't deserve anything that could remotely be construed as nice

Ah, my apologies. I probably should have followed the conversation more closely rather than jump in with my ass out.

Dougald

Ah, my apologies. I probably should have followed the conversation more closely rather than jump in with my ass out.

No problem, I know that at the other end of the scale there are those who attack people simply for being born into wealth so I appreciate it looked that way at first glance. While there are plenty of rich bastards (and poor bastards, and middle class bastards), the richest guy I know is both incredibly humble and generous despite his upbringing and public school education

TimmmV

She's clearly not a very nice person, but I don't feel it's fair to bring up the circumstances into which she was born. She had no control over those, but she does over her current actions and they are reprehensible.

I'm pretty sure it's been made clear that the new residents won't have access to the features she and others pay service charges for, so why she's getting upset is frankly bizarre. It feels she's more upset that people who she doesn't want around her will be moving in and she's using the service charged excuse as cover.

Normally I'm totally fine with differences in wealth in a country provided the minimum standard of life that poorer people get is high enough, but she says "I worked hard for this money, no one gives me anything for free!" towards the end of the clip. The moment she says that her upbringing is fair game to criticise tbh

iceatcs

Zaph

More recent thread specifically about evacuations due to cladding

How did all these buildings fail fire safety tests and get away with it?

It's easy to get away with a safety test if you don't test to begin with.

Cladding is currently receiving all the attention, and it's a (relatively) easy fix, but some of these high-rises are deathtraps with non-functioning fire alarms, no sprinkler systems, and single staircases. Realistically they need to be torn down and rebuilt.

This whole tragedy is a massive indictment for the criminal underinvestment in this country for decades.

RenditMan

Banned
Crazy how many people are one bad fridge away from certain doom.

There's something not right about the circumstances that caused the fire.

My uncle works for the council, he's seen Somalian refugees set fires in their houses as if they were back home.

The guy in this flat had sent his family away that night and was packed when the fire was starting.

Steel

Banned

My uncle works for the council, he's seen Somalian refugees set fires in their houses as if they were back home.

The guy in this flat had sent his family away that night and was packed when the fire was starting.

There's no need to go tales from your ass on random theories. Fridges do explode occasionally, fires do get started randomly occasionally, they usually are quickly isolated, though.

Source please?

Unless it's from your arse in which case don't bother.

Seriously ? I mean it has been confirmed by fire investigators it started with a hotpoint fridge freezer catching fire. But nope not good enough for ya eh there must be some nefarious reason cos those damn Somalia's are always setting fire to their house.

Jackpot

Banned

"My uncle works for Nintendo..."

ergo, it was deliberately started by damn Somali immergantz.

Source for this tale from your ass?

LoveCake

Crazy how many people are one bad fridge away from certain doom.

It is a certain type of fridge apparently, and fire officers have called for them to be banned for sometime I cannot see why these are not just banned from sale over night and anyone with one can get a replacement one.

I am also not sure about these mass evacuations going on, ok there are some buildings that are deemed to be unsafe, yet I have never heard of a building just spontaneously combust, they don't seem to have updated the information either telling people to get out of a building if it is on fire and still to just stay and wait to be rescued, some people are wanting to stay in the building instead of being evacuated and they have been told that the gas and electric is going to be cut off.

There are lots of buildings that are unsafe and nobody seems to be bothering about them, the Houses of Parliament are deemed unsafe [Fire safety systems are in place throughout the Palace to ensure the building is safe to use, but they are antiquated. Significant work needs to be done to bring these systems up to modern day standards. Fire safety officers are also required to patrol the Palace 24 hours each day to spot signs of fire. A fire safety improvement programme is underway but given the constraints around access, prevalence of asbestos, and the need to carry out work around sittings of Parliament, the scope of this work is limited.] and they don't want to leave and they want to stay in there while work is carried out costing the taxpayer even more money, so the way I see it on Monday all the MP's, Lords and hangers on have to find somewhere else to work.

MCN

Banned

You'd better be able to back this up.

You're quite horrible.

Uhyve

Already noticed you getting snowflake-y with people criticising nearby rich folks. Such a surprise that you're now blaming foreigners. But it seems you're a brexiter, so that's not new to you.

Machina

Banned

Straight off a Youtube comments section

It's impressive you can type at all when you can say such stupid things.

BigDes

The Daily Mail is bad for you.

I am also not sure about these mass evacuations going on, ok there are some buildings that are deemed to be unsafe, yet I have never heard of a building just spontaneously combust, they don't seem to have updated the information either telling people to get out of a building if it is on fire and still to just stay and wait to be rescued, some people are wanting to stay in the building instead of being evacuated and they have been told that the gas and electric is going to be cut off.

I think I have to agree with you here, these evacuations seem to be a bit excessive and impractical. There is no way there is enough cheap housing stock to house everyone that should qualify for evacuation from "unsafe" towers.

Clearly there is a risk with these buildings due to the cladding (gosh who would have thought using cheap lowest bid bullshit would come back to bite us in the arse eh) and clearly something needs to be done to rectify the situation. However I feel forcing thousands of people from their homes is not the answer.. There has to be a better way to manage/minimise the risk without the sledgehammer of evacuations.

Top Bottom