• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive new Quake Wars: ET info

FartOfWar

Banned
Say what you will, but I'm more interested in talking to you about the game than I am in pimping my magazine here. We blew the lid on how Quake Wars actually works, and how what you saw at E3 was less than a hint at what the shooter has become since that promo trailer. After some time with it I can say this: Developer Splash Damage (Wolfenstein Enemy Territory) knows its shit, is willing to take risks, and is flush with fresh ideas. I was worried about an outdoor game in the Doom 3 Engine (see Quake 4), but these guys have basically used Doom 3 Engine as a starting point from which they've arrived at something more in line with Unreal Engine 3. Their game is gorgeous, and again the E3 promo is no longer any indication of how remarkable the thing is now. But graphics aside, the game itself is what I'm so excited about (and its now my most anticipated game of '06). Total BF 2 killer loaded with things you've never seen before. What exactly these are, I don't want to blab about right off the bat. But if you've read the story, I'd be happy to fill you in on what else we know about it all.

Free Zinio copy at: http://www.zinio.com/delivery?issn=0744-6667&of=pstart&bd=1&rf=voodoo

116422167_lg.jpg

Leatherface

can not fucking wait for this game.

p.s.- thanks for the post... I'm glad to hear it's turning out the way it looks (awesome).

Sonuva... I paid $9 for that magazine last night. That'll teach me!

Regardless, the game looks amazing. As long as they keep it in line with Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, I'll be thoroughly pleased. Also, I imagine someone will begin work on immediately porting the original ET's levels to Quake Wars, with the new features such as actually controlling the tanks, etc. Would breathe new life into those levels, as if they needed it!

Hooker

Man, what is Zinio a POS program.

Acrobat does the same, but it doesn't slow your PC down to a crawling halt. But no copy-protection stuff and no "nice" turning pages animation.

Uninstalled it as soon as I'd read the QW:ET info (BF2 still sounds more fun IMO) - Installed it again when I saw Golem mentioning SupCom in the mag, but it was only 3 short pieces... so uninstalled it again

What kind of a PC would it take to run this monster? I saw the video posted here a while back and it looked better than anything the next-gen consoles had going for them. Could 360/PS3 even run it with no downgrades (except res)?

shpankey

not an idiot
yeah, a 360 version would rock on Xbox Live.

to the post above, I bet it doesn't take a top of the line system.... i played Quake 4 with max everything and I only have a 6800 GT and 3.3 P4.

oatmeal said:
What kind of a PC would it take to run this monster? I saw the video posted here a while back and it looked better than anything the next-gen consoles had going for them. Could 360/PS3 even run it with no downgrades (except res)?

Why downgraded res? The HD-Era is here! Or hadn't you heard?

Borys

Banned
FiRez said:

Oh shut the fuck up at least for once.

To the poster above - downgraded TEXTURE resolution not screen resolution. Happened before and will happen always as bandwidth is where PCs excel at.

Borys

Banned
FiRez said:
I'm not the only one expecting a 360 version :p

-_-

Please do as I said.

-------------------------

Wait, they really posted "Really f-ing cool" on the cover? Reminds me of that "PS3 is dead" title :lol

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Why downgraded res? The HD-Era is here! Or hadn't you heard?

I'm not that informed on PC gaming but can't you raise the res to whatever you want, for example 1080p 1920x1080. Most likely PS3 won't be outputting games at 1080p for at least a couple of years.

Borys

Banned
oatmeal said:
I'm not that informed on PC gaming but can't you raise the res to whatever you want, for example 1080p 1920x1080. Most likely PS3 won't be outputting games at 1080p for at least a couple of years.

Why are you bringing PS3 into the mix?

-_- (I love that sp0rsk(TM) emotey)

1920x1080 is a bit overkill after all, even for PC gamers. As I said earlier 1600x1200 is the sweetest spot for gaming ATM. 1280x1024 if your monitor can't handle it.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
That preview has me hyped. Holy shit, I hope this plays good. I just hope they dont change the basic mechanics infantry too much from the original.

oatmeal said:
In the very similar UK article in the PC Zone mag, they said it runs on the same spec machine that Doom 3 does, which may just be crazy talk because Doom 3 will probably be about 2 years old when this launches.

teepo

AndoCalrissian said:
In the very similar UK article in the PC Zone mag, they said it runs on the same spec machine that Doom 3 does, which may just be crazy talk because Doom 3 will probably be about 2 years old when this launches.

whenever they say that, it means it'll run on the same spec machine but at a low to medium setting.

Tain

If this is half as good as WolfET...

Oh, and really. If anybody in this thread hasn't played WolfET, do so. You don't need Return to Castle Wolfenstein. It's free. Free.

Free.

Borys said:
Oh shut the fuck up at least for once.

To the poster above - downgraded TEXTURE resolution not screen resolution. Happened before and will happen always as bandwidth is where PCs excel at.

Isn't bandwidth what the next gen consoles excel over PC's though, it's the memory on PCs that are ahead.

Top Bottom