• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive Twitter hijack spreads swastikas and pro-Erdoan propaganda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xando

Several hundred, and likely thousands of Twitter users had their accounts hijacked early Wednesday morning, as part of an apparent pro-Turkey operation. The hijacked accounts, including several verified and high-profile users, have all posted the same Turkish-language tweets with a Nazi swastika followed by the hashtags #Nazialmanya and #Nazihollanda (#NaziGermany and #NaziHolland).

The text after the hashtags reads: “This gives you a little #OttomanSlap,” and makes reference to April 16th — the day Turkey will hold a referendum on constitutional changes that would consolidate President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s power and potentially allow him to remain in office through 2029. The tweets also include a link to a pro-Erdoğan video on YouTube. Some accounts had their background images replaced with a Turkish flag.

The attack comes amid heightened tensions between Turkey and the Netherlands, after the Dutch government barred two Turkish ministers from speaking to expatriates in the Netherlands ahead of the referendum. In response, Erdoğan accused the Dutch government of acting like "Nazi remnants," and Turkey suspended high-level diplomatic relations with the Netherlands on Tuesday. Erdoğan also accused Germany of behaving “like Nazis” after the government banned Turkish rallies ahead of the referendum.

It’s not clear how many Twitter users have been affected by the attack, though accounts operated by Amnesty International, Duke University, Reuters Japan, and BBC North America were among those hijacked. Several users have noted that all hijacked tweets appear to have been linked to Twitter Counter, a Netherlands-based analytics application. Twitter Counter was previously targeted in a November 2016 attack that caused some high-profile accounts to spread spam. At the time, the company said it has over 2 million users.

“We are aware of the situation and have started an investigation into the matter,” Twitter Counter spokesperson Omer Ginor said in an email to The Verge. “Before any definite findings, we've already taken measures to contain such abuse of our users’ accounts, assuming it is indeed done using our system — both blocking all ability to post tweets using our system and changing our Twitter app key.” Ginor added that the company does not store users’ Twitter passwords or credit card information.

In a statement to The Verge, a Twitter spokesperson said: “We are aware of an issue affecting a number of account holders this morning. Our teams are working at pace and taking direct action on this issue. We quickly located the source which was limited to a third party app. We removed its permissions immediately. No additional accounts are impacted.” The spokesperson also pointed to a Twitter page where users can find information on how to secure their accounts.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/15/14932490/twitter-hack-turkey-nazi-holland-germany-erdogan

Got a lot of german high profile accounts and seems to be affecting many others aswell

got some examples? just out of interest.

not german but

C68e90MWYAA2kfy.jpg

Turkish people better go vote in droves, if they don't want to get stuck with that shitstain of a goatfucker and spiral down the Syrian path.

Amalthea

Banned
Sometimes I have to wonder at how sensitive and insecure dictators and authoritarians usually are but then again, you gotta be hella insecure if you have to control and enslave whole countries and terrorize many others to feel somewhat and I really mean only "somewhat" confident.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
As a Hindu it's very grating to see Swastika used in negative connotations, that too the upright one (and not the rotated one Nazis used). One more reason to hate the Nazis- ruining the Swastika.
Also, fuck Erdogan.

Zaru

Not sure how this helps Erdogan,if anything it makes him look worse.

Him and his followers don't care. At this point Erdogan and his followers look like cartoon villains and massive hypocrites and that's me being nice, yet they're doubling down on it - clearly a strategy that works internally at least, and all this bickering with other countries serves as a nice distraction

Chuckie

Not sure how this helps Erdogan,if anything it makes him look worse. Especially with the direct connection to nazis.

Well no the Erdogan supporters are calling the Germans and us nazis. The swastika's are meant for Germany and the Netherlands

Turkish people better go vote in droves, if they don't want to get stuck with that shitstain of a goatfucker and spiral down the Syrian path.

The No vote is winning, which is why Erdogan needed to make this Holland theatre and try and sway some undecided voters "Look how Europe treats us" etc.

I don't like the 'goatfucker' insult. It has this air of 'lol how do we insult a Middle Eastern dictator? Oh yh they fuck goats hahahah' which seems a bit crass to me.

Turkey will not go down the Syrian path. Despite the deep societal division between AKP supporters and non-AKP supporters, it's nowhere near enough to get guns turned to each other in a civil war. There's families and relatives on both sides of the divide. It's not comparable to Syria at all.

The average Turk has more First World type problems to deal with than being anywhere close to a civil war.

As a Hindu it's very grating to see Swastika used in negative connotations, that too the upright one (and not the rotated one Nazis used). One more reason to hate the Nazis- ruining the Swastika.
Also, fuck Erdogan.

I know how you feel since I get the same feeling from Erdogan supporters waving Turkish flags.

nynt9

not german but

Holy shit man this is so stupid. It says "Nazi germany Nazi Netherlands, this is a small ottoman slap for you, see you on the 16th of April. You're asking what I wrote? Learn Turkish"

The ottoman slap thing is basically something that is a big slap to the face to bring one to their senses and knock them off balance, the 16th of April is when the referendum is being held.

Saya

Fucking erdoturds at it again. Do they really want to erase any international standing and respect they once had?

The No vote is winning, which is why Erdogan needed to make this Holland theatre and try and sway some undecided voters "Look how Europe treats us" etc.

I don't like the 'goatfucker' insult. It has this air of 'lol how do we insult a Middle Eastern dictator? Oh yh they fuck goats hahahah' which seems a bit crass to me.

Turkey will not go down the Syrian path. Despite the deep societal division between AKP supporters and non-AKP supporters, it's nowhere near enough to get guns turned to each other in a civil war. There's families and relatives on both sides of the divide. It's not comparable to Syria at all.

The average Turk has more First World type problems to deal with than being anywhere close to a civil war.

I know how you feel since I get the same feeling from Erdogan supporters waving Turkish flags.

Guess you're right, I'm just furious that there's even a theoretical possibility that he could win, he needs to lose hard. Concerning the insult, I just went with the german comedian "poem", wasn't thinking about it that way, what would you suggest?

SgtCobra

This won't change shit, nobody's gonna respect RTE and Turkey more after this. But hey, keep ruining your country's reputation.

Guess you're right, I'm just furious that there's even a theoretical possibility that he could win, he needs to lose hard. Concerning the insult, I just went with the german comedian "poem", wasn't thinking about it that way, what would you suggest?
Yes I thought it had its origins from that poem.

I just realised that opposition Turks don't have a go to insult word for him.

I just Erdolf is a good one haha

dakun

I think this is quite hilarious tbh. The "Ottoman slap" thing speaks volumes how delusional so many Turks still are thinking they are a significant power in the world.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
This guy's influence outside of Turkey is pretty scary. Literally rewriting history and people are just buying into it wholesale.

vivekTO

Also, fuck Erdogan.

I know, Right!! Really can't do anything about it as well.Nobody is ready to listen or to even understand!!

Sijil

Boy the Turks sure love to ruin their country, this Neo Ottoman fervor is going to wreck the Middle East, Erdogan is Muslim Brotherhood and his ME dreams will conflict directly with Salafi Saudi Arabia and Shia Iran. Only good thing is Putin can reel him in when things heat up with Iran.

I wouldn't mind Turkey and KSA duking it out over influence tho.

Damn, Turkey taking a page from the Russian book. Well done Erdogan for messing up international reputation of Turkey for a long while.

Boy the Turks sure love to ruin their country, this Neo Ottoman fervor is going to wreck the Middle East, Erdogan is Muslim Brotherhood and his ME dreams will conflict directly with Salafi Saudi Arabia and Shia Iran. Only good thing is Putin can reel him in when things heat up with Iran.

I wouldn't mind Turkey and KSA duking it out over influence tho.
Erdogan has no dreams of that geopolitical level. All of this Neo-Ottomanism is posturing and talk to keep his fanboys and fangirls voting for him. All he cares about his maintaining his power and money.

I'm sure these elections will be fair and balanced and that Erdogan, who is planning a decade-plus power move, will gladly accept the results if he loses.

Turkish democracy is a farce.

spekkeh

Banned
I dunno is this meant to rile us up or intended as an invitation to set aside our differences and work together.

German-Turkish_Treaty_of_Friendship_and_Non-Aggression.jpg

Merino

Ugh such a sad situation in all. Been in contact for a year now with a girl from Istanbul. She was supposed to come study over here in the Netherlands a year ago but her scholarship was cancelled after the 'coup' attempt.

She's coming to visit Holland this weekend and now this stuff is happening. For as much as I've been able to speak to her about all this (she is scared being critical of Erdogan on chats) she is very scared for her own future in Turkey and doesn't feel safe there anymore. Unfortunately without a scholarship or something of the kind she can't really migrate her more permanently. And Turkish people are probably less welcome here now then they ever were before.

Feel really sad for her as it's so much easier for me personally having been born on the right side of things and not having to feel scared living my daily life.

Spladam

It's interesting to see that Turkey still associates with the Ottoman identity. It would be extremely destabilizing to that region if the increasingly totalitarian Turkey starts to harbor imperialistic tendencies. One more dictator at Europe's doorstep...
Also, Ottoman hack.

dluu13

This isn't subtle at all. I'm not sure how this hacking helps them. Those tweets are obviously fake given that they're written in Turkish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom