• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Master of Orion (Wargaming.net/NGD) announced, first trailer

CzarTim

I was so hyped for this, but only played it for one hour since I bought it day of if EA. Basically, I've been playing MOO2 a ton since it came with MOO4.

Still, I am excited to play MOO4, I just need to break away from MOO2. In the meantime I'll say that the list of changes above seem pretty solid. To those of you that played MOO4 more, do these changes make anything super different for you!

Played a game with the new update. Nothing substantial, but a step in the right direction for sure.

The autobuild stuff still isn't great though. It always starts with a marine barracks even if the planet is deep enough in my territory to be in no immediate threat. It can get real tedious to micromanage new planets in the late game when you already have a couple dozen.

I think it underlines a problem with the design though. Planets suffer from the same "build everything" syndrome that civ has. And there are a LOT of buildings by the end game. I'd rather make hard choices and have each planet be specialized than everything turn out the same.

That and having races actually differ besides a small stat boost are my two biggest complaints with the game design, ignoring the unfinished stuff.

Played a game with the new update. Nothing substantial, but a step in the right direction for sure.

The autobuild stuff still isn't great though. It always starts with a marine barracks even if the planet is deep enough in my territory to be in no immediate threat. It can get real tedious to micromanage new planets in the late game when you already have a couple dozen.

I think it underlines a problem with the design though. Planets suffer from the same "build everything" syndrome that civ has. And there are a LOT of buildings by the end game. I'd rather make hard choices and have each planet be specialized than everything turn out the same.

That and having races actually differ besides a small stat boost are my two biggest complaints with the game design, ignoring the unfinished stuff.

Does a Marine Barracks provide positive morale or something as it did in MOO2? In MOO2 for example, I'd often build it for the morale boost rather than as defense.

aY227

WOW!
I have to admit that I'm suprised by the amount of changes in such a time. Point for WG.

Formation bonuses will be introduced that provide bonus effects to certain ship types for flying in formation
- yes!

We are evaluating options for more control over specials and weapon systems, as well as weapon overlays to give more clarity on what’s going on - good

(Ships) Default AI behaviors will be added (Range, Aggression, Focus, etc.) - ok, nice

Preset and customizable build “templates” will be introduced to make late-game expansion less cumbersome - Oh my... mid-to-end-game wet dream.

Civilian transports will be made much cheaper and it will be clearer that they are “rental” and will disappear once you move the population to a planet
- I don't like civilian transports idea at all... MoO2 system was far superior than that.

We will improve the flagging feature by allowing you to not only name your flags, but also define new flag types - another end-game wet dream.

We are experimenting with a slow / limited navigation option outside of starlanes, unlocked via mid-game technology - yesss... i suspected that they will add that one :)

plus tons of smaller ones

Lagamorph

My biggest complaint so far is that the AI goes insane if you settle an uninhabited system that links with one of theirs, yet they'll think nothing of doing the same to you with zero repercussions available to you short of declaring all out war.

zashga

I picked this up after the big patch last week, and I have to say... It's pretty good! There are some definite rough edges (and some things are still NYI), but I still ended up getting sucked into a 5-hour session last night conquering the galaxy. Some thoughts:

• The game looks really good. It's not a graphical powerhouse by any means, but it has some great art assets. I like the general look of all the races, too.
  • Getting around the Galaxy takes too long. Engine speed upgrades feel too minor, and transiting each star system takes an inordinate amount of time since you have to arrive and spend an entire turn moving to the other "side" of the system, then depart. Combined with the "star lane" pathing, this had the effect of making it take a dozen or more turns to get a ship from my inner systems to the frontier, even late in the game.
  • The game has the same colony micromanagement woes as past MOOs when you get couple dozen colonies going. Templates sound like a good idea, but I'd also like the ability to insert an item (say, a ship) into the list without breaking auto build.
  • The GNN guys really need a speedier delivery. The retro robot thing is weirdly out of place and makes me skip them almost every time. At least let us skip the intro and jump straight to the actual "news."
  • Auto-updating blueprints are nice. Ship upgrading is also pretty painless.
  • Space monsters seem static compared to MOO2. Do they ever attack? I've only seen them camp out at uninhabited planets. Still fun to kill them.
  • No Antarans or similar threat. Space pirates are pretty pathetic in comparison.

Walshicus

That's a terribly unfair story from Ars. They list issues that are almost certainly going to be addressed as the Early Access program progresses, and make a faulty assumption that people don't want a relatively faithful revision of MoO2.

CzarTim

Third Update

IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT OLD SAVED GAMES Because of significant changes going into EA3, your old saved games from EA2 or earlier will not work with this version of the game. We are setting up a new BETA branch of the game with the previous build (Windows and Mac only) so you can continue any pending attempts to conquer the stars. This branch is called "earlyaccess2" and can be accessed via the Betas tab in Properties.
Highlights
* New playable races: Silicoid and Darlok
* Espionage: Train spies and assign them to offensive and defensive missions
* Minor Civilizations: interact with non-starfaring races to gain rewards, including influencing your diplomatic and economic victory paths
* New Victory condition: Fill your coffers and claim economic supremacy by controlling the Galactic Monetary Fund
* Weapon Miniaturization: Improve your legacy weapons by making them smaller and cheaper
* Support for Linux and SteamOS
* New galaxy size: HUGE
* More AI improvements
* Improved Multiplayer
* Improved Tactical Battles
* Improved overall balance: Better suited for both tall and wide empires and with a smoother progression in the late game
* Improved performance (faster turn processing and less hickups when zooming in and out of the galaxy)
* New and improved GNN gags
* By popular demand, we added the option to mute your advisors while still retaining other voiceover audio
* Over 400 bug fixes

So I've been poking around the game assets a bit for no particular reason after I gave up trying to see if there's music files since I didn't wanna wait for the soundtrack release, and I found something very interesting among the ships.

See if you can spot it:
gho0xlg.png

Sorry for the double post, but I asked a friend of mine who has been keeping on top of the game (I intend to play the game soon as well to get up to date), and here's his opinion:

"Now it is EA phase 6 or so. If I would be rating game now, I would say it is a good game (7/10) in my scale. It's of course still not terribly complex game or so, but actually kinda relaxing and pleasant to play. A little more choices in tech trees, changes to certain mechanics etc., make it better IMO"
English is not his native language

He also said that he thinks the UI is one of the biggest issues, as it is unintuitive, and the auto-ship designer upgrades ships in strange ways.

I have it and played it, but didn't have the time to play it in the last couple weeks, so I don't know much about the more recent changes.

On a sidenote, they removed the assets with the MoO2 races' emblems.

inm8num2

IGN Review - 7.1/10

There’s not much that’s outright wrong with Master of Orion, but there’s not much memorable or endearing about it either. It’s built on a moderately successful but bland execution of the inside-the-box space 4X formula. The moments when its flair for leader characterization and an enjoyably complex combat engine take center stage are the only times anything about it really stands out. There’s definitely enough game here that I wouldn’t turn anyone away from giving it a spin, but I also can’t say you’d be missing anything special by skipping it.

Any thoughts from anyone here? GOG posted on FB that it was out, that snuck up on me. IGN's review worries me - personally I've found GalCiv kinda meh in the same way as the MOO review complains about.

I would love it if they implemented a Classic mode or something. I kind of just wanted an exact clone of a fixed, modernized MoO1 like they stated initially but they really tried to mess with a good thing.

Any thoughts from anyone here?

It's a good game. It's a good 4X game as well. But it's not very innovative or particularly exciting in what it does. Like, it's not boring, it just isn't extremely unique or outstanding.
The game suffers heavily from its brand, I would argue - many fans of the old MoO games didn't want too many changes, which brought the game to where it is right now... this weird game that feels like it's between a remake and an actual new game, but doesn't really know where it's supposed to go, which is exactly what's holding it back from being great. As it stands now, it's "merely" solid.

That said, this game has come quite a long way from being properly bad, so the devs definitely are willing to listen to feedback.

I would love it if they implemented a Classic mode or something. I kind of just wanted an exact clone of a fixed, modernized MoO1 like they stated initially but they really tried to mess with a good thing.

They didn't really say they were going to make an identical copy of MoO1 with just modernized graphics, they always represented it as being a reinvention of the original, and that it certainly is.

And as mentioned, the brand, and fans with feedback like yours were and are one of the biggest problems the game has in my opinion. To me it seems like NGD didn't want to stray too far from the original titles because of the fanbase, and were held back by people expecting it to be just like the old games but with updated graphics, while they clearly didn't want to make exactly the old game just with updated graphics, resulting in what the game ended up being.

I don't know what it is, but I pre-purchased this game the day it became available to do so, invested about 2 hours into it about a week after that, and never touched it again. I've never done that with any game ever, but I just can't seem to bring myself to be interested in playing it... despite MOO2 being one of my most-played games of all time that I still play every few months.

I think, partially, I just wanted to let the alpha/beta wrap up so that it'd be as good as possible before I touched it, but now, I guess I've just gotten busy with other things IRL, other hobbies, and other games. I've gotta hype myself up again to get this loaded and try it out, because it genuinely looks fun.

jblank83

Well, you can always give it another 6 months and see what sorts of patching they do. Sounds like they're dedicated to improving the game post-launch, so maybe it turns into something better.

That's my plan, at least.

TotalBiscuit made a WTF is on this.

Having skipped to his final comments to hear his tl;dr opinion (I will be watching the full video when there's time), he's pretty much come to the same conclusion as I did, that the game is quite good, but not outstanding.

Revenge of Antares DLC teaser

Basically shows the three MoO2 races (that I found a while back in the game files hue). Nothing exactly about the Antarans yet, though.

Not sure I like the redesign of the Gnolams or the Trilarians, and especially am I not fond of them turning the pacifist diplomatic Trilarians into warmongers.

Top Bottom