• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

I just point at whatever's closest and "tap tap tap" while moving the left stick. I really didn't even attempt going to cover from prone until yesterday and was expecting much worse the way people were complaining about it. You can still be hit obviously if enemies are at an angle, but it works well enough with guys in front of you.

This is why I never going into shoot dodge with more than 3 enemies around. Strafing BT works so much better. It might not be flashy but you can drop 4 to 6 guys with that ish.

Finished it tonight. Pretty fun, not as good as Max Payne 2 though. The feel, the story and the combat. I felt you could die WAY too fast and head shots were essential because the rest of the body was a bullet sponge. Also having no indicator of when you are almost dead pissed me off. I don't need jam over my screen but give me a heart beat, a red tinge, something! Max was still an awesome character though and I'm happy we got to see him again.

This is kind of funny because people are constantly complaining about this kind of indicator (the jelly splatters in MW, the screen going dim in Uncharted, etc.). I suppose there has to be some middle ground . . .

I just got the game on 360 a couple of days ago. I love it, and I'm just about to finish it. There are 2 things that I actually Don't like:

1. The shaky-blur camera on cutscenes.
2. I think the game It's too long.

DId any of you guys think the same way?

I just got the game on 360 a couple of days ago. I love it, and I'm just about to finish it. There are 2 things that I actually Don't like:

1. The shaky-blur camera on cutscenes.
2. I think the game It's too long.

DId any of you guys think the same way?
I got used to the cutscenes about halfway through my first playthrough.

Just got on update for the game, on steam.

EDIT: Patch Notes.

-Security fixes
-Various bug/stability fixes
-MSAA white outline fix
-Various multi-head improvements
-Text chat added to lobbies by default
-Mouse acceleration setting added to controls menu
-Aspect ratio setting added to the graphics menu

But can we skip cutscenes?

The game is NOT loading during cutscenes, that's bullshit. In arcade mode, it takes about 20 seconds to load a level, compared with the several minutes of cutscenes between levels in story mode that are unskippable.

dandoolan

I just want to thank everyone who's been posting in this thread, especially in the first 100 or so pages. As a life long Max Payne fan, I was desperate for this game and reading this thread, all the discussion, the early impressions and the links to reviews and videos stopped me from going insane during the wait.

I wasn't able to post at the time, due to not being verified yet, but I appreciated every word.

So... thanks GAFers!

Spat_triate

Tried hardcore mode after the patch reduced the requirements (from 5000 kills to 1000).

All I could hear was sniper rifle fire. 90% of people on both sides were sniping and since hardcore mode negates life regen, there is no need to manage your weight if you're going to camp anyway. It seems the typical loadout is: Sniper Rifle, dual pistols, body armor, Big Dog perk and Adrenaline boosting item. What a shame.

Apparently there is coop dlc coming soon too.

MMaRsu

Banned
Tried hardcore mode after the patch reduced the requirements (from 5000 kills to 1000).

All I could hear was sniper rifle fire. 90% of people on both sides were sniping and since hardcore mode negates life regen, there is no need to manage your weight if you're going to camp anyway. It seems the typical loadout is: Sniper Rifle, dual pistols, body armor, Big Dog perk and Adrenaline boosting item. What a shame.

Apparently there is coop dlc coming soon too.

I always use dual pistols..no body armor. People who use snipers in this game are mad losers. If I come across some shit like that I quit right away. Or sometimes I own some shit up.

Montresor

FINALLY some news on the DLC! Yes. Looks like I'm grabbing the season pass.

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...3-local-justice-dlc-pack-coming-july-3rd.html

The first of the 7 DLC packs, titled "Local Justice," is coming out on July 3rd. It's free to anyone that bought the season pass, of course. But for those who didn't purchase the season pass, the DLC will be discounted from its regular price since it being delayed (it was originally announced for June 2012). The regular price is 640 MSP ($7.99) but during launch week its price will be 480 MSP ($5.99).

The pack will contain:

• 55th Battalion HQ map for all game modes
• The Imperial Palace and Departure Lounge maps for Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch and Payne Killer
• Light Fingers Item for faster looting
• M4 Assault Rifle with attachments
• São Paulo Police Faction with related avatar customization options

Also, the following pre-order items will be available for purchase to everyone on July 3rd. But even better, they're all free for people that have the season pass!

• Cemetery Map: 160 MSFT Points / $1.99 PSN
• Silent Killer Loadout Pack: 160 MSFT Points / $1.99 PSN
• Pill Bottle Item: 80 MSFT Points / $0.99 PSN
• Deadly Force Burst: 80 MSFT Points / $0.99 PSN
• Classic Max Payne Character: 80 MSFT Points / $0.99 PSN

OCDuty

Neo Member
The game, incuding the writing, is tailored to multiple playthroughs. That works against the game because you won't feel like an action star until you know where the enemies are, and the mechanics take some getting use to. You'll probably be cowering behind cover, waiting for bullet time© to refill. That's really to lower the entry bar, but I think it turns alot of gamers of all walks off. On my second playthrough, I loved the stadium level, especially, the "VIP" section ;)

Montresor

The game, incuding the writing, is tailored to multiple playthroughs. That works against the game because you won't feel like an action star until you know where the enemies are, and the mechanics take some getting use to. You'll probably be cowering behind cover, waiting for bullet time© to refill. That's really to lower the entry bar, but I think it turns alot of gamers of all walks off. On my second playthrough, I loved the stadium level, especially, the "VIP" section ;)

I loved the stadium level too. God damn I love the whole game.

I can't remember the VIP section in the stadium - what's so special about it?

pakkit

Banned
This is kind of funny because people are constantly complaining about this kind of indicator (the jelly splatters in MW, the screen going dim in Uncharted, etc.). I suppose there has to be some middle ground . . .

There is one, it's called looking at your health gauge.

Yep. I enjoyed it the first playthrough, but the 2nd+ is where it really shines. Arcade mode as well. You'd be shocked at the sheer stupidity you can get away with when you know where the enemies are going to be. I think I hurt Max more than enemy fire does whenever I play the Stadium now due to my reckless shootdodging AND I LOVE IT.

FINALLY some news on the DLC! Yes. Looks like I'm grabbing the season pass.

Is there any possibility future DLC will be single-player experiences? I'm not a huge fan of multiplayer even though I may dabble in it every now and then, so if the DLC is multiplayer-focused I'll probably skip the season pass.

I'll have to keep that in mind. I'm at the last chapter right now and playing it through on Hard on the first time left me with a sour impression. I want to love the game because the parts that only took one or two tries were fun as hell, especially parts like
the strip bar and later the bus
but the parts that took me too many tries like
the gas station right outside the bus station, parts of the favela, that one section on the boat
just were a mood killer and destroyed the pacing.

I'm actually looking forward to playing again without Last Man Standing because even though the game is tailored to it I feel like I'll be a lot more aware of my surroundings and try more interesting things without having Last Man Standing as a terrible, terrible crutch to rely on.

OCDuty

Neo Member
I loved the stadium level too. God damn I love the whole game.

I can't remember the VIP section in the stadium - what's so special about it?

You're behind cover and can blindfire from there to the right for a couple of kills, or you can leap left out of cover, have bullets whizzing past (keeping your bullet time up) and just obliterate shit. That's where I think I first really got that aspect of gameplay.

Yep. I enjoyed it the first playthrough, but the 2nd+ is where it really shines. Arcade mode as well. You'd be shocked at the sheer stupidity you can get away with when you know where the enemies are going to be. I think I hurt Max more than enemy fire does whenever I play the Stadium now due to my reckless shootdodging AND I LOVE IT.

I really like how far you can fall in this one and if all goes well, you're back on your feet. I remember Max Payne 2 doing this. Just needed more painkillers to get up :)

I really like how far you can fall in this one and if all goes well, you're back on your feet. I remember Max Payne 2 doing this. Just needed more painkillers to get up :)

The best part is shootdodging down the bleachers WHILE POPPING PILLS AND SHOOTING AT THE SAME TIME. In the air for 10 seconds like a bawse.

I'm just saying, if anyone hasn't took some pills while shootdodging, get on that. Should've been an achievement. "Flying Addict."

OCDuty

Neo Member
I'll have to keep that in mind. I'm at the last chapter right now and playing it through on Hard on the first time left me with a sour impression. I want to love the game because the parts that only took one or two tries were fun as hell, especially parts like
the strip bar and later the bus
but the parts that took me too many tries like
the gas station right outside the bus station, parts of the favela, that one section on the boat
just were a mood killer and destroyed the pacing.

I started on hard and went to normal once I got to Chapter 5. I didn't like sitting in cover, and was taking too much damage otherwise.

I'm actually looking forward to playing again without Last Man Standing because even though the game is tailored to it I feel like I'll be a lot more aware of my surroundings and try more interesting things without having Last Man Standing as a terrible, terrible crutch to rely on.

I really enjoyed my Old School playthrough. It's definitely prepared me for my first NYM run.

Eideka

Banned
Just started the game on PC after having tried the PS3 version and i just cannot believe how better it looks on PC !
Runs flawlessly maxed out on my GTX 570.

For once, Rockstar has really delivered.

Just started the game on PC after having tried the PS3 version and i just cannot believe how better it looks on PC !
Runs flawlessly maxed out on my GTX 570.

For once, Rockstar has really delivered.
True that. I honestly kindof expected the worst or at least some hassles. But it's been flawless.

Makes me wish we had a similar quality PC Red Dead Redemption though.

Eideka

Banned
True that. I honestly kindof expected the worst or at least some hassles. But it's been flawless.

Makes me wish we had a similar quality PC Red Dead Redemption though.

I was extremely skeptical when the features of the PC build were announced, like many my previous experiences with Rockstar's PC ports have been terrible. Either the game would run like shit or it would look like shit.
I was on the fence especially because I bought La Noire PC on day one and well it was a clusterfuck of a port.

Max Payne 3 is nothing short of an amazing job by Rockstar. It looks absolutely superb and, I can't believe I'm going to say this, it runs smooth as butter.
On a sidenote, no crashes, no freezes.

deejay

This might not be the best first post ever, but hey, I'm a honest guy.

I really hated Max Payne 3. Ok, 'hated' might be a big word, but... 'disliked' then.
Seriously. What's with all those cutscenes ? IF you finally get to play, you only have to walk 10 metres and another cutscene starts. And it's not just for a short while, it's like that for the entire game. I myself want to play games, and not watch them.
They could've told the story in a different way and it still could've get the message across perfectly.

Am I the only one ? Anyone ?

dandoolan

Probably not, but I suspect you're in a minorty for three reasons.

Firstly, you are seriously exaggerating how severe and frequent they are. Secondly, the story is one of the biggest elements that won people over with the first games. So I can't imagine too many fans to were sad to discover it's a big part of this game. And finally, while I agree they are probably longer and more frequent than they need to be, these issues are only one small aspect of what is ultimate a very immersive and well executed action game with many facets. I find it a little ridiculous to judge an entire game on one element and therefore do not think it's likely to be a deal breaker for most.

This might not be the best first post ever, but hey, I'm a honest guy.

I really hated Max Payne 3. Ok, 'hated' might be a big word, but... 'disliked' then.
Seriously. What's with all those cutscenes ? IF you finally get to play, you only have to walk 10 metres and another cutscene starts. And it's not just for a short while, it's like that for the entire game. I myself want to play games, and not watch them.
They could've told the story in a different way and it still could've get the message across perfectly.

I love the game but also feel the cutscenes are too much. Some are engrossing and really well directed, but a lot of the shorter ones are pointless and could've been done in gameplay. Nearly every door leading to a cutscene is not hot, Rockstar. I honestly don't understand how they could've play tested this for as many years as it was kept dark and thought all the interruptions and terrible loading were good design. And coming from an open world dev, no less. Definitely double dipping on PC eventually for the cutscene skipping mod alone.

deejay

Probably not, but I suspect you're in a minorty for three reasons.

Firstly, you are seriously exaggerating how severe and frequent they are. Secondly, the story is one of the biggest elements that won people over with the first games. So I can't imagine too many fans to were sad to discover it's a big part of this game. And finally, while I agree they are probably longer and more frequent than they need to be, these issues are only one small aspect of what is ultimate a very immersive and well executed action game with many facets. I find it a little ridiculous to judge an entire game on one element and therefore do not think it's likely to be a deal breaker for most.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not disliking the story here, it's just the cutscenes.
However, Max Payne 1 had a couple of comic book styled cutscenes and that was more than enough to tell the story properly.
Because of all the cutscenes in MP3 it pulled me out of the experience every single time. I didn't find it immersive at all, it distracted a lot. Though the action scenes were done really well, I agree.

Ricker

Man this game is awesome but hard as hell for me lol...after 2 tries I still can't beat the Peer/Boat part in Chapter 4...and that's on easy lol... :p

Man this game is awesome but hard as hell for me lol...after 2 tries I still can't beat the Peer/Boat part in Chapter 4...and that's on easy lol... :p

lol, had this exact problem the other night but on Hard

Basically take your time and remember where to place yourself to avoid the gunboat.

So believe it or not I NEVER HAVE actually tried the soft-aim option.

Loaded up Arcade mode with it and holy shit is this game REMARKABLY easier with it on. I mean, it's fun but nowhere near as satisfying as free-aim.
My question is how the press, or whoever else, thought this game was fustrating and difficult with this shit on?

Will I ever use it? Maybe in the future when I do a Story run again sure, but yeah, free-aim is a must

Also, just to reconfirm, MP is a fucking wasteland and yeah, I really feel sorry for whoever bought the Rockstar pass =(

Loved this game. Reminded me of that "30 seconds of fun" mantra some Halo dev talked about years ago. This game has zero variety, and the enemies are always strictly scripted to attack at the same place at the same time, but I never got bored. The gunplay and feel was so pleasurable and I got into a groove where managing bullet time was as natural as breathing, and it's been hard to adjust to life without it in Spec Ops- The Line. The physics are so morbidly satisfying. Even crashing face first into a desk after a misjudged dive felt good.

But the storytelling is pretty sketchy, the cutscenes are too many and too long. Particularly strange is that there are so many totally pointless transitional cutscenes that show Max and Friends going into cover, sneaking around, operating shit, etc... and they don't even bother to have them talking during it to advance the narrative or flesh out the characters. It couldn't have been to cover loading. The game seems to load briskly otherwise and a lot of the time you're not even transitioning to a new area.

Jackpot

Banned
So strange. The NY levels have such a clear jump in fun it validates everything the naysayers were saying about Brazil.

And favela levels have always been boring in every game. Lowest point of Modern Warfare 2. Branco's office, something similar to the Aesir building was an obvious highpoint. It's impossible to get excited about favela gangs. People born into poverty and violence with low-end guns and no training. No complex schemes or conspiracies. Just crude application of force in the name of money or drugs. Skin deep.

clear31

I finished it up the other day and really enjoyed it. Haven't played many games aside from maybe Heavy Rain and To the Moon that were so sad and dreary in some parts. I really did like it though and it wasn't that short compared to most shooters as of late.

Top Bottom