• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonalds Brings Back Szechuan Dipping Sauce on October 7th, One Day Only

Burbeting

Banned
tumblr_n677anDCQ61r33r0fo1_400.gif

Jesus rick and morty fans keep getting worse

Eh, they're loud an annoying but it's not like they're the Star Wars fandom that bullied a child actor into depression retirement, so much that even to this day the fandom can't understand he's an actor and Star Wars isn't everything.

All fandoms have their problem.

jstripes

Banned
Eh, they're loud an annoying but it's not like they're the Star Wars fandom that bullied a child actor into depression retirement, so much that even to this day the fandom can't understand he's an actor and Star Wars isn't everything.

They're the ones acting up right now, though, so they have all the attention.

Permanently A

An Undertale fan tried to kill a fanartist by giving them food with needles in them

I don't... I don't fucking get it dude, the fuck. Why do beautiful pieces of media like Steven Universe and Undertale which are all about tolerance, respect, love and empathy attract the absolute most vile, scum of the earth, garbage pieces of shit on the entire planet?

Not

Banned
I don't... I don't fucking get it dude, the fuck. Why do beautiful pieces of media like Steven Universe and Undertale which are all about tolerance, respect, love and empathy attract the absolute most vile, scum of the earth, garbage pieces of shit on the entire planet?

It's gotta be the cartoon aspect. Attracts people who haven't assimilated with reality.

Makai

DLjef31V4AAHgJj

Rick and Morty fans are even worse. I don't think thousands of those other fanbases participated in stupid protests or harassed women with death and rape threats because the show has female writers. Even if these people are a minority, they're at least a worse minority than fans of those other things.
They're just kids. Let em have fun!

Sadsic

imo the steven universe fandom is extremely inclusive, and anecdotally met tons of people and connected with tons of people because of it - the few shitty tumblr fans are the outlier/exception not the rule

i had an amazing time at the steven universe nycc panel

I've read a few pages of this thread and I'm at a loss for words
So this is a sauce that was on a TV show that has crazy fans and McDonald's tried to do something for them and it backfired?

Zubz

Banned
I've read a few pages of this thread and I'm at a loss for words
So this is a sauce that was on a TV show that has crazy fans and McDonald's tried to do something for them and it backfired?

The sauce was a discontinued McDonald's sauce that was part of a joke during the show with the toxic fans. McDonald's set up a promotion that wasn't even technically for the specific sauce, but a few of the already-few participating locations had it. Because the sauce was on the show, the Internet hyped it up as something for the show's fans, but the stock for the sauce was comically low despite the obvious demand.

It's basically a Wii/NES Classic situation where they release a would-be incompetently low supply to meet a frothing demand. They get advertising on the news for being "a craze" & people want it more when it's on sale & actually reasonably stocked the second go around. But yes, the fans of the show came in droves, failed to identify this obvious ploy, & acted like brats... just as McDonald's expected. No one came out looking hood, but McDonald's will make bank for the return of the sauce this Winter. It wasn't "for the fans." They were a loud, angry, & unwitting guerrilla marketing campaign.

Ashhong

Just saw that McDonalds is bringing it back for real in Winter. Fucking LOL at anybody that paid money for the sauce.

I'd rather my kid deal drugs or something than scream about not getting a dipping sauce.
They're participating in a widespread meme. I know you're kidding but I hope you see the humor in what they're doing. They're having fun, went viral, and look like they're like 13 years old dude.

Some other issues with the fanbase, on the other hand, are despicable. Everyone I've ever met that likes Rick and Morty are stand up folks, and that's quite a few people ranging from friends to randos with shirts that I end up talking to for a bit. The peeps that are tarnishing its reputation are angsty little teenage bitches and, worse yet, entirely too old 4chan/VOAT type shut ins. The latter being, you know, the type of folks with neckbeards sprouting out of their microscopic balls because they can't stand to look at their pus filled face in the mirror while their angst relentlessly persists. The hella ugly "nerd" from high school that sat silently with the other nerds, even those that were surely uglier than them, who actually had some sort of passion in their lives and went on to do great things while they had and continue to have nothing. The "nice guy" loser that daydreamed of high school prom in their basement as the very event was happening. Their last rejection finally putting them over the edge, waging war on the bitches and cunts that should have chosen THEM instead of a black person, a Mexican, a feminist, a liberal, a Muslim, a Jew. The straight up dweeb that was never able to let it go that no woman would ever want to fuck something so talentless, so ugly, and so full of hatred. As they saw other nerds, minorities, and women overcome hardships and actually accomplish something, they dealt with their insecurities through hatred and trolling. The straight up losers that finally gave up on bettering their life, so they try to hurt others lmao.

Would love to see Justin, Dan, and the rest of the Rick and Morty squad shed a little more light on these pathetic roaches next season. Dan calling them out a couple months ago is a good sign. It's a great oppurtunity for the show to get REALLY dark because literally nobody outside of these folks' little safe spaces care about them. Endless possibilties of jokes in the Rick and Morty universe.

Whew... That post was tiring. Time to smoke a bowl, shit on the floor, and get schwiftyyyyyyyyy

Ashhong

They're participating in a widespread meme. I know you're kidding but I hope you see the humor in what they're doing. They're having fun, went viral, and look like they're like 13 years old dude.

Some other issues with the fanbase, on the other hand, are despicable. Everyone I've ever met that likes Rick and Morty are stand up folks, and that's quite a few people ranging from friends to randos with shirts that I end up talking to for a bit. The peeps that are tarnishing its reputation are angsty little teenage bitches and, worse yet, entirely too old 4chan/VOAT type shut ins. The latter being, you know, the type of folks with neckbeards sprouting out of their microscopic balls because they can't stand to look at their pus filled face in the mirror while their angst relentlessly persists. The hella ugly "nerd" from high school that sat silently with the other nerds, even those that were surely uglier than them, who actually had some sort of passion in their lives and went on to do great things while they had and continue to have nothing. The "nice guy" loser that daydreamed of high school prom in their basement as the very event was happening. Their last rejection finally putting them over the edge, waging war on the bitches and cunts that should have chosen THEM instead of a black person, a Mexican, a feminist, a liberal, a Muslim, a Jew. The straight up dweeb that was never able to let it go that no woman would ever want to fuck something so talentless, so ugly, and so full of hatred. As they saw other nerds, minorities, and women overcome hardships and actually accomplish something, they dealt with their insecurities through hatred and trolling. The straight up losers that finally gave up on bettering their life, so they try to hurt others lmao.

Would love to see Justin, Dan, and the rest of the Rick and Morty squad shed a little more light on these pathetic roaches next season. Dan calling them out a couple months ago is a good sign. It's a great oppurtunity for the show to get REALLY dark because literally nobody outside of these folks' little safe spaces care about them. Endless possibilties of jokes in the Rick and Morty universe.

Whew... That post was tiring. Time to smoke a bowl, shit on the floor, and get schwiftyyyyyyyyy

What the fuck are you talking about...

Not

Banned

Enjoy that bowl man

Violet_0

Banned
A man smashes a sauce packet on the ground and people around him respond by dipping their nuggets into the sauce splattered on the pavement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF0ReXhNzbc
legend
The latter being, you know, the type of folks with neckbeards sprouting out of their microscopic balls because they can't stand to look at their pus filled face in the mirror while their angst relentlessly persists. The hella ugly "nerd" from high school that sat silently with the other nerds, even those that were surely uglier than them, who actually had some sort of passion in their lives and went on to do great things while they had and continue to have nothing
I love you for posting this on a gaming board of all places, lol. Going into detail how ugly nerds and how tiny their balls are

Oynox

Somebody saw the picture by Joel Zimmerman aka Deadmau5 on Instagram?

22277689_122552525076834_1551614934918365184_n.jpg

lol

Why are/were people so thrilled about it? Coming from Germany, there was nothing comparable here and honestly I hate McDonalds around here, too expensive and bad quality.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Somebody saw the picture by Joel Zimmerman aka Deadmau5 on Instagram?

22277689_122552525076834_1551614934918365184_n.jpg

lol

Why are/were people so thrilled about it? Coming from Germany, there was nothing comparable here and honestly I hate McDonalds around here, too expensive and bad quality.

Like, you can buy actual szechuan sauce from any chinese supermarket, and it won't be the diabetes fest that is mcdonalds sauce.

Lee-Kum-Kee-Sichuan-Spicy-Noodle-Sauce-250px.jpg

OK? This thread is about rick and morty, my post was about rick and morty. Keep your whataboutism to yourself.

Zombine

Banned
The problem is that there is a segment of the fan base that has no fucking clue what the show is actually about. It would be incredible if Harmon & Roiland turn it into an episode plot that once again goes completely over their head and the only thing that resonates with them is a one off joke.

Aurongel

The problem is that there is a segment of the fan base that has no fucking clue what the show is actually about. It would be incredible if Harmon & Roiland turn it into an episode plot that once again goes completely over their head and the only thing that resonates with them is a one off joke.
Yup. It honestly blew me away that what people took away from that S3E1 gag was "hurrhurr nugget sauce, so random". You can't even blame the show for it either because it makes the point of calling people like that idiots.

NEO0MJ

Got to love when someone takes their love of a game about pacifism, talking things through and making friends and then uses it to try to kill somebody.

Well... (Undertale spoilers)
For some people it's also about killing for the sake of killing and that nothing matters.

sibarraz

Banned
Is impressive how not matter how many times the show throws jaba at their fanbase, they still are missing the point about how serious this show is

sohois

Like, you can buy actual szechuan sauce from any chinese supermarket, and it won't be the diabetes fest that is mcdonalds sauce.

Lee-Kum-Kee-Sichuan-Spicy-Noodle-Sauce-250px.jpg
The "Szechuan" sauce of McDonald's is described as a teriyaki sauce though, so an actual Sichuan sauce would have no relation to the McDonald's sauce. I still do not know why the McDonald's sauce is called Szechuan when it is a Japanese style sauce, other than the Mulan connection

Faiz

I literally just started watching it this past week and love it (had no idea it was from the guy who made Community).

You shouldn't let some stupid fans turn you off from watching it, they have 0 bearing on the actual show being good or not.

Yeah that's where we are right now. We somehow missed Dan Harmon's involvement and after learning this recently (due mostly to the whole sauce controversy) we plan on watching it now.

If I let shitty people in a fandom affect what I enjoy I would enjoy literally nothing.

Spuck-uk

Banned
The "Szechuan" sauce of McDonald's is described as a teriyaki sauce though, so an actual Sichuan sauce would have no relation to the McDonald's sauce. I still do not know why the McDonald's sauce is called Szechuan when it is a Japanese style sauce, other than the Mulan connection

That's even worse then, Szechuan cuisine is the goddamn best.

jstripes

Banned
Yup. It honestly blew me away that what people took away from that S3E1 gag was "hurrhurr nugget sauce, so random". You can't even blame the show for it either because it makes the point of calling people like that idiots.

Show: Rick is a monster who is perfectly content to manipulate and destroy numerous lives, including his own family, in order to accomplish his slightest whim.

Fans: "I WANT SZECHUAN SAUCE!!!"

Top Bottom